Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your prefered QF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A vote for Namibia here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

France

The jokes on the rest of the world though as they come from inferior rugby nations. Our current form is being based on us rotating our squad to look at individual players and give them a chance to show what they can do while also making sure we peak at the right time, we are literally doing what you are asking for and preparing for the RWC and now all of a sudden results and performances are most important...dont you see the irony in you're post, what do you want a great performances & results or preparation for the RWC...you confuse me on this occasion.

No you are very wrong, in fact its worse because you could at least be a bigger man and just accept this "peaking to early" theory isn't going to materialise but ofcourse you wont, like a dog with a bone with that theory.

Because bookies take alot more into account than just performances on the field slick, the fact you even bring this up shows you dont have much understanding of how bookies work so why even use it as a point? That's usually the last go to line for a despite Ireland detractor, it's the "hey, I cant think of anything rugby related to bash this team so ill come up with baseless theories and bookies odds".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The jokes on the rest of the world though as they come from inferior rugby nations

Wales, Scotland, Australia and England aren't inferior rugby nations. They're nations that have actually won knock out games at World Cups. Our best ever finish at a World Cup is the same as Canada's.

New Zealand

2023 New Zealand are absolutely muck and I think France will win the World Cup.

I'd rather face France later in the tournament when the pressure is on and the French fans get on their back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

France

I see we've gone from matches 5 months ago being irrelevant to somehow matches 32 years ago being relevant.

• Advertisement

World Cup matches are literally the most relevant. Something Irish rugby could do with learning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

France

I'll happily take our record over the last 35 years over Scotland's thanks. Because I'm actually able to take joy out of successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

New Zealand

That’s because you are a fan of rugby and Ireland, unlike the person you are responding to. Their only joy is in Ireland losing. Which explains the bitterness when we lose rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

New Zealand

"are literally the most relevant"...

... "to my argument, otherwise it totally collapses" 😂

I think my favourite from you so far today is the "deep down you know I'm right" one.

Take a day off TRC. Or maybe there's a lotto winner somewhere that needs reminding that the next winner after them won more than they did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where does this idea that the rest of the world laughs at you/us come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

France

With all the injuries they've suffered (N'Tamack, Baille, Willemse and Danty), I'd currently lean toward preferring France.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

France

I’m genuinely curious if you still think this team are mentally weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

France

Listen, Ireland's performance at the World Cup is entirely dependent on vibes. And specifically, your own vibes at any given moment. All facts and evidence are null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

New Zealand

This is a tough one. And my perspective may change over the next few weeks, but right now I’d rather NZ. I think our style works well against them and they are a bit up and down still. But France are a funny side in that they can lose focus and/or concentration quite easily and be vulnerable. The problem is you just don’t know when that might be. We can beat both, but I’d fancy our chances better against NZ as things stand.

Given how rattled they were under the pressure in the GS decider, I'd say there's definitely a frailty there. But ultimately we'll find out in the quarter final when they're faced with France or NZ

New Zealand

I’d agree there is some fragility there. But I think that’s understandable. The likes of England and SA have this innate confidence because that’s part of their national identity, plus they’ve grown up watching their teams deliver in big pressurised games. The more you see it, the easier it is.

Ireland hasn’t exactly got a long history of that. It’s really only been this last generation or so that have built up to a point to have the goods to back it up. It takes time to build that innate confidence. It’s not just a switch that can be flicked. Sadly, you can lose confidence quickly, but building it up is a lot harder and a lot slower!

That said, I think France can be jittery too. Again, I think that’s a cultural thing. NZ can be as well as they have started to see their aura fade before them. Being the generation in place for that is going to hurt and I don’t think they have that general cultural confidence thing at all.

SA and England are the only 2 countries I’d associate with that sort of confidence. And England don’t have it right now for obvious reasons. Which is one of the reasons I reckon that this RWC is well set up for SA. A team that have won just a single Rugby Championship in over 10 years. It’s crazy to think they could have more RWC titles in that time than anything else.

France

Given how rattled they were under the pressure in the GS decider, I'd say there's definitely a frailty there.

"They" being the English side that came to Dublin in 2017?

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

New Zealand

Avoid the home team/ref at all costs plus we know we can beat NZ

we know we can beat NZ

We know we could beat 2022 NZ that also lost to Argentina before they replaced their entire backroom team and weren't very good. The NZ team now is a formidable outfit who stormed their way to the Rugby Championship. Very difficult to see us beating them at a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

France

Do I need to show you the rankings again?

• Advertisement

France

They won a truncated Rugby Championship (3 games) where they played SA once at home. In a "return" fixture in Twickenham, South Africa made them look very ordinary.

They may of course beat us in a QF, but we should by no means be fearing them as "formidable".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

France

It's unfortunate that we have consistently ended up playing teams that are in the habit of turning it on against us. If we had played SA in 2019 for example, I think we would have performed much better than we did vs NZ. So naturally, the two teams that have plenty of history of walloping us are our two options. With Argentina likely waiting in the semi.

France won't have Clerc this time out tho, so I'd go with them.

New Zealand

The problem with this logic is that it applies the opposite way too. NZ haven’t beaten us. SA haven’t beaten us. This French side lost their last game against us. None of those 3 “know” that they can beat us any more than we “know” we can beat them. The gap between each of the top 4 is very small. Which I’m sure you’ll agree is a positive thing.

France

It's pretty easy to argue that Irish rugby has been on a general upward trend pretty much since the game went professional, imo. And given that upward trend, we'll eventually win a RWC QF.

Just like we eventually beat the All Blacks, won a series in NZ, won a home GS, won back-to-back 6 Nations, won a series in Australia, won a Test in SA etc.

Let's just hope that QF win comes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I wouldnt say since game went pro. Late 90s still were not great. Lens and having to qualify for 03 really threw the IRFU and that kicked many changes into gear and upwards really from then

Yeah i will be happy with finally breaking the record of not having won a knock out game in a world cup. dont care who against or how just as long as it happens

France

Ya, early 2000's maybe more accurate, took us awhile. It's been pretty much 2 decades of upwardly trending since then.

I honestly think once we win a QF, the the monkey will be off our back. A bit like our record vs NZ since Soldier Field.

Rankings don't mean anything. If they did we'd be favourites.

It's pretty easy to argue that Irish rugby has been on a general upward trend pretty much since the game went professional, imo.

Yet the closest we got to a semi final was in 1991.

And if you look at the last 12 years, we actually haven't been getting any closer. 2011-Lost by 12 in the quarter finals. 2015-Lost by 23 in the quarters. 2019-Lost by 32 points in the quarters. That doesn't suggest progress to me.

France

That's why I said "general upward trend". Not "upward trend only in Rugby World Cups".

Ultimately, the argument you're making is a similar one that could've been applied to NZ prior to 2011.

• Advertisement

New Zealand

I love how you take whatever metrics suit your position and ignore all other ones. Irish rugby has been in a very definitive upward trend for the last 20 years or so. This is literally the only monkey still on our back. We’ll break it eventually. It may not be this year but it will happen. And it’s okay to enjoy all the other stuff in between.

Advertisement