Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

It's most likely this one

S5-EH1P3.6K, variously written as Solis 3.6 - 5. Look at the data sheet here.

https://www.solisinverters.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/S5-EH1P3-6K-L.pdf

Second one from the left. It can push 3.6kw onto the grid. It can deliver a max charge or discharge to/from the battery of 3kw. I presume it can charge the battery and deliver output to the grid at the same time, to a combined max of 5.7KW. The grid AC current max is 18.5 A, this would suggest that it could push as much as 18.5 by 230V to the grid, over 4.2 kw, but its likely limited below this.

All the variants of this inverter have the same input limits, 600v/ string max, 520V/15A per string rated, so can easily handle the max voltage presented by an oversized system, say 10 panels/string with an open circuit voltage of 55V/panel each. The important thing to remember is it will only draw a maximum of 5.7kw from your potential 8.4kw of panels, and only 3.6 to 4kw to the grid depending on your domestic voltage under load. If the battery is fully charged and the sun is blazing at midday, it won't push your full potential solar to the grid for FIT which can be in the region of 5.6kw. For that you need to move to the right of the chart by one or two models, which can handle the juice from the panels at full tilt, which will occur only on the brightest midday summer days.

Inverters will only pull the power they can handle from the panels, the beefier models have heavier components to handle the heat. It can be confusing to see higher voltage/current figures attributed to lower capacity models, 600V max and 2 by 15A suggests just under 9kw at the input, true IF the inverter allows that rate of consumption at the panel inputs, but it won't, it will draw its rated capacity, no more, and deliver to the battery and grid its rated outputs, no more.

Six hours sleep. Not bad, I'll take that. Now wheres my Witcher Book...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

We use 13000kwh per annum with an ev and a heat pump.

have a south facing roof which is on the empty old part of our house. It’s a linked extension and the new part is modern and well insulated. The load on heat pump will increase when we finish renovating the old part

Anyway here is one quote. 8100 after grant - it’s on high side according to that website tool but it’s a well established local company and they surveyed the site before providing quote

unsure about the economics of battery at this stage might try to add one later

Solar Panels

Trina Solar Co., Ltd.

6.02 kW Total Solar Power

14 x 430 Watt Panels (TSM-430DE09R.08)

5,741 kWh per year

Inverter

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

5 kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x SUN2000-5KTL-L1

Shunt (Fireman Safety Switch)

Fireman Safety Switch

1 x Shunt 

Slate Mounting

S-Flex Slate Mounting System

1 x S-Flex Slate Mounting

Smart Power Sensor

Smart Power Sensor 

1 x Huawei Power Meter

Huawei Lan Dongle 

Huawei Lan Dongle

1 x Huawei Lan Dongle

Electrical Cabling and Components 

Electrical Cabling and Components 

1 x Electrical Cabling and Components

BER

Post Install BER 

1 x BER

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Shoog

How do people feel about batteries/inverter in the loft. I would be a bit concerned about heat in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

I received this quote for 400 watt solar - 10 panels

Hybrid inverter, hot water diverter = €8,000 less grant €2,400 = €5,600.

My yearly usage is 1,500 kWh. I spend appprox €1,000 per year on electricity including standing charges.

Is it worth my while?

many thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If you don’t have space in a conditioned part of your house it’s better than putting them outside. They are all rated for much harsher climates than the Irish summer (or winter); lots of people do it without issue. Some install a fan to get some airflow over the cooling fins of the inverter; but this is usually on Cheeper units that de rate themselfs when they get too hot.

Honestly that usage is so low - if you’re looking for payback period it’s probably not worth your while. Of course you might have other reasons for doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I would not get the hot water diverter; let the units export and claim the .21 cent feed in while you can.

Your only using an average of 4 kWh per day.

With this system even in December you’re going to generate about 110kwh (average of 3.5kWh per day). So it’s very close to covering your usage (which is tiny) even in winter which is very unusual. Of course remember that some days will be almost 0 generated when you will be using the grid.

Without solar hot water diverter In May you would export about 350 kWh which would be worth 72 euro (42 after standing charge).

your only spending 635 euro on units; the rest is standing charge (which you can’t eliminate) so if you managed to totally eliminate your bill you would have a payback period of 8.8 years. About 7.8 years without the diverter.

But without a battery (which would make it more expensive) I don’t think you’re going to totally eliminate your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Hi all

Hoping for some help on price here.

We just bought a Hybrid car which we will charge overnight, my wife or myself WFH three days a week (there is always someone in the house)

We've two kids (11 and 12)

We have Gas and Electricity. A stove (which isn't linked to water) for use in the winter.

Electricity

2022 usage = 3486 kWh (1225.52 euro)

2023 2310 kWh (876.98 euro)

Gas

2022 usage= 10573 kWh (1073.15 euro)

2023 usage = 7040 kWh (949.15 euro)

Do we need a battery?

Are 10 panels enough? Too much?

Thanks

M

•  10 x 400w panels 

•   Hybrid inverter 

•   5kwh battery storage 

•   My Energi hot water diverter 

•   Roof mounting equipment 

•   All labour works

•   All electrical testing and commissioning 

•   Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

•   BER 

RRP

€ 12,000.00 Cost. 0% VAT Offer

€ 2,400.00 SEAI Grant

€ 9,600.00 Final Cost to Customer.

€ 9,100.00 Final Cost to Customer (after friends discount)

Equipment :

Panels : Leapton – 25 year warranty

Inverter – Solis – 10 Year warranty

Ecoplex Workmanship – 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Way too expensive for that system. If the company has an 8 in their name run away fast. When "friends" get a discount for sending companies new business it usually means they overpaid and are recouping their losses by sending you to that company. I might be completely wrong but either way keep looking. Use this site as a guideline for prices. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Do you know what values to enter on that website calculator?

The price after grant would be expensive as the pre grant total price for 10 panels. Your fridge freezer and other devices will consume most of your low level solar, the few big sunny days where you might have 2 or 3 kw at midday to spare don't justify the battery. Just get a €29 timer on the immersion for an hour at midday. If there's significant solar, it will mostly cover the immersion. Jusr get a quote for 10 panels and a Solis. Cheapest way to heat your HW will be oil, 12c/kwh. FIT will make up for missed self consumption (the term for solar used as its generated).

kWp of panels 4

kWh of Battery 5

Then tick the 3 boxes for water diverter, grant, ber.

Put in asking price €9100

It gives this result.

"Your quote is ending up at €9100 after grant, which is €2100 beyond what I'd consider ballpark, and €250 beyond the upper limit of value. Look elsewhere."

It is just a guideline but you can get that system a lot cheaper if you keep looking.

Sorry for another question.

Is a battery general not recommended?

I've rang around and some places say they're worth it and others not.

That in winter you're not going to be storing anything in the battery and its not worth it.

We got a Hybrid car so aim to charge that overnight if that helps?

Thanks

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You can charge a battery at cheaper night rates and use it at peak hours so that might save a few euro too.

Personally I wouldn't be without my 2 x 5 kWh batteries, I have anywhere from 6 to 12 power cuts a year and my system works during them as long as there is daylight and I have power in the batteries which in winter I set to always have a reserve of 30% on them.

Also great for load shifting and if the FIT stays high and you can purchase power cheap on night rates you can dump it to the grid when you know the weather will charge the batteries back up to use during the day. Everybody has a different opinion on it though so you need to make sure your not just wasting money with no hope of a return on the outlay.

It's hard to know if it's the carrot to get get everyone on smart meter plans and then drop it to a single digit. Only time will tell but I am very sceptical when it comes to most big companies in Ireland doing the right thing for their customers.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Back up is one valid reason, that doesn't involve cost benefit, more like a desirable option. Most battery systems don't do backup, Power goes, they shut down. With special relays or a particular type of inverter, only then your panels and batteries can get you out of a power cut hole. Still pricy though.

I've a 3kwh generator that cost me €380, it digs me out of the frequent rural power cuts, as high as 4 per year where I live, and has being doing for over ten years or more years now, I can't remember when I bought it.

• Advertisement

It says it's on the upper end of the guidelines though. "Your quote of €10000 is at the upper end of the recommended range. Get a few more quotes."

My maths is brutal I'm afraid! It was mentioned a while ago that maybe the calculator needed tweaking but I don't think anything happened. Try some of the companies on the installers page. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest

Look at the "Recommended Guide Price" and "Value Upper Limit"

If you play with the asking price it will go from "Get a few more quotes." to "Go for it." on a change of 1 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

15 years ROI? I'd suggest drop all 'diverters' - battery, Eddi, Zappi for car charging. Get the largest system roof + budget can take. You'll get ~20C of FIT per kWh you don't use.

Any thoughts on this quote at all? Is it outrageous?

Convinced now just to do panels for now and add battery later.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Bear in mind that Huawei components are expensive and VAT will apply on battery if not installed at the same time

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Hadn’t thought of that thanks but still not convinced battery stacks up for us right now. I’m sure that will change though.

Just remember with Huawei you are restricted to just 2 types of compatible batteries and they can be expensive if not sourced right so keep that in mind when making the decision.

• Advertisement

Thank you I was just about to post that question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement