Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Progress is progress. I think the supporters of Ukr defence can be patient. I'm sure you're happy to see progress too.

Of course more rapid progress would be good to seen and to bring this whole desperate saga to an end.

Russia to be driven out of Ukraine inc Crimea abd given such a bloody nose, that'll it realign their thinking for many decades to come.

I'm sure most of us want this and the sooner the better, but patience is a virtue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think a lot of people who say "I hope Ukraine win" but also are pleading for a partitioned Ukraine are being honest.

Their motivation is not Putin or Ukraine but based on selfish goals like a return to cheap Russian gas or more availablity in Dublin hotels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A defeated Russia is far more likely to be given access back to European markets than one actively engaging in a partitioned Ukraine.

Once we get through this winter there will be very little appetite to roll back on the shift away from dependence on Russia. Last winter was already the death knell of Russian energy hegemony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just imagine a few years ago we had the Russians flying these bombers into Irish airspace just to test what response they'd get from the Irish and UK authorities. We had reams of headlines produced in the papers about the bear showing it's claws to Ireland and mocking this country.

Now we have ground crews in Russia throwing car tyres on the wings and top of the aircraft like you would when covering a silage pit. Just because they're terrified of the bombers being hit by cardboard drones. Which has already happened with two bombers destroyed.

Karma.

A group Russia will lead.

😂🤣

Genuinely no other response to that drivel.

Ignoring the fact that Russia is all but a vassal state of China at this point, the latest comraderie among the BRICS nations is that China have released an official map of the country laying claim to Indian territory. The idea that they will ever be any kind of coordinated communal economic alliance is fantasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

BRICS is only valuable as long as it is useful.

Any of India, Brazil or South Africa could be gone out of that group very easily with a change of Government or an overreach by China.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BRICS is a group of countries with no common purpose other than not being any existing grouping of countries. Based on an article about emerging economy's in a newspaper. Can't see it being a grouping which lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

China and India absolutely hate each other. China is also becoming more of an influence on far eastern Russia than Moscow is and Brazil and South Africa only in because like you said The Economist or Time or someone coined a nice acronym. The latter have far more important regional groups to deal with.

It's just the G7's Europa League/ Joe McDonagh cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

China accounts for something like 70% of economic activity amongst BRICS nations, something like 10x that of Russia and they're somehow going to be led by Russia in an economic alliance. It takes one hell of a superiority complex to buy into that shite.

Russian dominance over the entire solar system. Woohoo. Right on.

This you @RealityReallyMatters ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

I doubt very much if you will find in any plane manufacturers a recommendation to place tyres ( or indeed anything else either) on the wings of parked aircraft. Not to mention that some foreign bodies could find their way into the working's of the flaps etc. or what a pair of heavy Russian work boots would do to the paint finish, reducing streamlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭yagan

Compared to the customs reducing RCEP BRICS is just **** and giggles.

Realistically there's a good chance of a South American trade blocs, but the only thing uniting BRICS is a united distrust of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Views on Putin being handed over to the Hague?

That ship is sailed. Kiss your gas goodbye. As for hotels and accommodations out west, the quickest way to repatriate UK war refugees is to help restore their territory asap. Who wouldn't want to go back and build their nation up. Maybe a few draft dodgers but they can be turfed out.

We do not have any official territorial disputes and those we had in the past certainly were not conducive to economic, never mind military, cooperation.

In what way is Ukraine a vassal state? They rely on support from other countries but that is not remotely the same thing. The reason there are in this position is because they are resisting becoming a vassal state like their neighbouring lackies Belarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

That's an inverted inferiority complex. Something a lot of Russians seem to have.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Ah he was being highly sarcastic.

Interviewer was too.

They know the score in expansionist Putin land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Ukraine's new defence minister has been announced

I didn't go myself but a Welsh farmer delivered a small ickle pickup from me to Ukraine with this group.

Their 100th vehicle has gone out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sounds pretty crazy alright, although I do wonder whenever a Russian is asked this kind of thing on camera how much of it is sincere conviction and how much is them trying to avoid falling out of a window while swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

How long does Ukraine have to punch a decisive hole in the first line of defence? Ukraine needs at some point to pick up speed in order to not give a chance to Russian forces to fall back to new defences in an organised fashion. However, it remains difficult to pick up speed if there are more minefields to clear in between the first and second lines, and Russia has more time to lay these if progress on breaching the first line is slow. That is unless there are things which make it impractical to impossible for Russia to lay minefields in between the first and second lines of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Reality is that it doesn't really matter as russia have stopped advancing* and are purely trying to maintain what they have while burning through their equipment on the field and cash reserves at an insane rate.

All while Ukraine equips more modern and better trained brigades and continue having success with drones.

Even if there was 0 progress (and while slow, it seems much more that that), Ukraine aren't going to give their country up and the cost of doing so for the west is minimal.

*bar the odd foray that seem designed to distract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

There is a long program on RTE 2 now that is interesting. Obviously RTE didn't make so I'll edit this to say who did and if it's online.

If you watch on +1 it starts at 10.40pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yeah, and as the saying goes, " Be careful what you wish for, in case you might get it". This has never been truer that replacing the US with China as the main player in that part of the world. Boy, are in for some surprises!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

China may be the main player in BRIC but they are currently in position to dominate much themselves as it stands. Crazy unemployment and a crippled financial sector. BRIC is very much an irrelevance until they recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

China, off topic, but high youth unemployment is one of the considerations when old men in government are contemplating a short glorious war with a neighbour. Taiwan? Or Eastern Russia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

BRICS seems like a canard. Russia is a pariah state with a collapsed economy, and South Africa has 30+% unemployment. Better to call it "BIC". Per your comment, maybe BI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement