Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden infested with frogs. No water source nearby

Options
  • 03-09-2023 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

My small garden, in a Dublin suburb, is infested with frogs, they're everywhere, big and small. I have no pond and neither do any of my neighbours. There's an old unkept pond around 300m away but there's a host of houses in between as well as a green area (where I've never seen frogs on).

It's getting a bit much tbh, the grass and deck is crawling with them. Is this indicative of another issue? Should I do something to stem their growth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're protected, leave them alone, you're dead lucky to have such and abundance of wildlife in your garden. I'd love that, plus, they'll keep the flies at bay!! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could check for a wet spot (under the deck?). Otherwise natural attrition will take care of them in due course. Is it possible for them to get out of the garden or have you those totally enclosed walls/fences round?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wow, haven't even seen 1 frog in years. They won't cause any harm. Maybe there is some kind of underground stream or spring. Or a sewer. Just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Must have not realised they're at home this week ! Sacre Bleu !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

The deck is fixed so can't look under without pulling it up

The garden is completely contained by other gardens on all sides. It's a mystery.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Poddle runs nearby and I think there's a few underground routes of it. Perhaps it goes under the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

That could well be it.

Greenhills through Harold Cross (only areas I really know for the poddle).

I guess I'll leave them so. They've gotten in the house before if I open the back door. One time couldn't find the lad who got in. 4 days later I find him in the living room covered in dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Used to work (garden) on one site that had a regular migration of frogs in the summer. Was a real pain as you literally couldn't cut the grass in the lower parts of the garden because it all full of frogs of all sizes. This only ever lasted a few days at most and before long they'd moved on. Don't remember any pond or water course being anywhere near.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

The universe is telling you to build a pond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Have you offended any gods lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

... I will plague your whole country with frogs. ... They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs.

I think its lice and flies next.

Seriously though, if they are migrating they may well be trying to get to the pond (whether or not the pond is still a pond, or there are now gardens, have you ever seen starlings trying to get into an old nesting place 3 years after it has been blocked off?) Could you make a small frog sized hole in the boundary on the pond side of the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They don't spend much time in water outside the breeding season. They seek out overgrown damp, not necessarily wet, areas of cover. Not saying yours is, but they like untidy gardens.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

One man's untidy garden is another man's haven for wildlife. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we have a pond in the back garden and a smaller one in the front garden. i need to be extra careful now when mowing the lawn, some of the froglets are fingernail sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fascinating story - hope they all reach their watery destination soon

Advertisement