Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was a woman on the News at One who deals who coordinates the response to Ukrainian refugees arriving and she reckons government inaction is the problem, not the numbers who are coming here. She says there is a total lack of urgency in dealing with the issue and this has been present since February 2022 - the government very slow to make decisions or to take concrete action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

How the hell can the numbers have no bearing on anything?

There are still 650 arriving a week, all of whom need places found for them. Are you genuinely trying to say if they were to stop arriving that wouldn’t ease the government’s difficulty in putting everyone up?

Surely even you can realise how ridiculous that sounds

The government have had 18 months to deal with this refugee crisis. They can hardly claim that 650 people arriving a week in September 2023 is the tipping point (and besides 17% of Ukrainian refugees have already returned to Ukraine).

There is definitely a big accommodation crisis for refugees going on, but I'm not sure how helpful it is to blame the people involved - the woman who was interviewed suggests that people arriving now are quite possible to be more 'genuine' refugees than even the ones who came in the first few weeks (as they have tried to tough it out in Ukraine for the last 18 months, but are finding things too difficult now).

If you read the article, you’ll see it’s 650 per week arriving, not per month.

Genuinely what do you expect them to do to magic up accommodation for nearly 3000 people every month on month?

Can we just be realistic please

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Still says 92k in Ireland

Numbers don't seem to be dropping in Ireland or am I reading that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

It's becoming abundantly clear by the utterences from Pascal and McGrath about our non existent "International Obligations" regarding the flood of migrants into this country that the commission could be in a sense holding this government over a barrel.

The fact its always the money men coming out with these soundbites in the increasingly laughable press conferences they hold with the Irish establishment media is significant.

Pascal and his ilk have made this country an anomaly in the economic sense. The perveyors of leprechaun economics as its so lovingly coined in European economic circles.

Is it the case that the commission has said to the Leprechauns "You can keep your gold for the time being but your taking in migrants to solve our crisis".

The services and societal structures of this country are crumbling with this flood of migration but this goverment gets to hoard it's Ill gotten gains.

While in the real Ireland economy we are now deep in recession and inflation and cost of living are spiralling out of control. Sociteal norms and crime we are accostomed to are breaking down.

To answer the OP I'd go as far as saying its time for a complete reset of our Economic policy and political establishment to serve it's citizens.

Fix that and the health, housing, cost of living, migrant crisises all fall into place....eventually. The only real question now is is it too late.

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All those folks at Electric Picnic this weekend will be moved on sharpish when it's over by the looks of it

750 Ukrainians wandering around Stradbally - roughly 50% again of the existing population per this link:

What could possibly go wrong?!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

creeper1 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Id agree. Pretty pointless gathering all these financial gains into government coffers when your using it to house and feed the world and its auntie meanwhile on the ground things get progressively worse.

According to that woman who was interviewed on Friday, she estimates that the current Ukrainian population is 75k and that around 17k have left to return to Ukraine or moved on to other countries.

Incidentally, from what I can understand, our acceptance of Ukrainian refugees is something that is official Irish government policy rather than something that was 'imposed' by the EU. So if they really wanted to stop doing, it would probably be quite possible legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Pretty strange if true, I wonder if the UN are misreporting numbers or did the woman give a reason for her rationale? Maybe people stay registered until they reregister somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

We put them here we put them there any old where .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The figures from Social Protection the numbers of those actually claiming show 10k had left . I suspect they came from areas not in conflict looking for an opportunity .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

It certainly seems plausible. There have been numerous anecdotal reports of Ukrainian people returning to their home country. As an expert on Ukrainians in Ireland, she must have access to official figures which show the current numbers here.

Relying on the leavings of a music festival to put people up, a national embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The woman he refers to is Emma Lane-Spollen (one of the grifting NGOs) so as they have been known to twist the facts to suit their own agenda, her figures should be taken with a pinch of salt - Remember they [the NGOs] reported there was a 50k attendance at the A/Ss welcome march in Feb, when the actual figure was closer to 5k...and that 5k was made up mostly of the NGOs themselves - It is notable that the IT and RTE reported that the NGO's said there were 50k at the march and not 'there was 50k at the march'...it's the little things that matter - There were no drone shots of the march (there's always drone shots, except when you don't want to show the drone shots)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm guessing that electric picnic is subject to yearly application for planning permission to host the festival. Are they bringing people to stradbally to remain in those tents. If so, I can't imagine PP will happen for another festival next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If there are no drone shots how do you know there wasn't 50k at the March?

Anyway looks pretty substantial here all along the Custom House Quay

"The woman he refers to is Emma Lane-Spollen (one of the grifting NGOs) so as they have been known to twist the facts to suit their own agenda, her figures should be taken with a pinch of salt" ...that is a pretty serious statement there ..can you back that up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I dont think they will be there long. The weather will soon turn and those folks will be moved to more suitable accom.

Plenty of new home complexes being completed at the moment and the council is buying up a lot of them.

And meanwhile actual Irish citizens and taxpayers are forced to live with their parents into middle age with little chance of being able to buy a house of their own…particularly difficult when they’ve their own state competing against them in the housing market - and their fellow citizens like yourself cheering all this on, pathetic state of affairs

• Advertisement

I didnt say I agreed with the govt approach. I just said thats what will happen. And I am correct.

You disagree with this approach then?

I can recall you being fairly vociferous in your support of the limitless influx earlier in the year

I agree you probably are correct though - government seems intent on spending billions of taxpayer funds on other people, at the expense of taxpayers.

I was more than happy for us to send aid and accept a reasonable amount of refugees but it’s gotten completely out of control now. With our current surplus this govt have one of the greatest opportunities in the history of the state to make genuine huge improvements to the state and the everyday lives of Irish people. Instead they’re going to piss it all away on nothing.

“Metrolink? More housing and schools? Energy self sufficiency with offshore wind? Pfft nah”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Metrolink?? They've been mithering about that since I was a boy in the 70s,it'll never be built, not in my lifetime anyway, sure they can't even build a hospital for heavens sake, God only knows what that'll end up costing, far easier to virtue signal with lifetime troughers like Emma double barrel and the rest of the ngos and "charities" in their ear constantly and let them drive government policies rather than look after the needs of the Citizens of this country most especially the most vulnerable primarily which is the job they were elected to do, it's baffling how we've arrived here with the likes of Roderic and Helen to name but two in serious positions of power promoted far far above their meagre talents and then there's Varadkar and Martin another two of the most underwhelming politicians since the foundation of the state leading their respective parties never mind the shower waiting on the sidelines to "take the reins" when their time comes, the whole set-up is deeply depressing ... Then again we get the leadership we deserve at the end of the day, no-one but ourselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They're the guys waiting on the sideline for their long overdue turn at the tiller

I always argued for a balanced approach, where supply and infrastructure complements demand.

We clearly dont have that at the moment, but we do have a period where quite a lot of housing completions are falling due. A temporary reprieve, perhaps.

But its true that the govt are not managing the overall demand at all well.

It will be a disaster for anyone with a job, should they get into power.

The govt are now asking…the National Ploughing Association for help accommodating people…what the absolute fùck is going on here

Just say we can’t accommodate any more???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I really do wonder if we'll ever get an answer to what is driving this.

I mean, as out of touch and immature as Leo, Helen and FG are, they can't be THAT blind to the issues and sentiment on the ground - even if they are, they have countless staffers, consultants and advisers who brief them.

So, is the demand coming from external forces such as the EU? As we saw during the Financial crisis, it wouldn't be unheard of for our "friends" in Europe to happily sacrifice our wellbeing to bail themselves out.

It can't really be down to the ideological crusading of a handful of 2nd rate Irish politicians? Not at the scale it is and the scale of the issues it's causing.

So what IS behind it all?

• Advertisement

I would imagine a component is that although the policy is by now clearly unsuitable no one wants to be the first to draw attention to this reality.

This would be committing wrongthink where our ideologue media is concerned and open them up to criticism and the usual hackneyed accusations of racism etc. Actually incredible that we’re at the point now where suggesting exercising a bit of moderate pragmatism and realpolitik will get you labelled a fascist.

You’d also get the same from those in opposition taking opportunistic jabs and scoring points over the “moral (and indeed legal!) obligations” we apparently have, resplendent in their virtuosity.

it will take someone with an actual spine and bit of bravery to stick their head above the parapet and do what’s actually in the interest of their constituents. Unfortunately such people are few and far between amongst the self serving, milquetoast bunch that comprise our government.

Advertisement