Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Well if a thick enough layer of ice can destroy a wing's lift, a layer of tyres woudn't even let it get off the ground, but they're probably not secured anyway so I supposed they would slide off once the aircraft picks up enough speed. But they would add some drag while the aircraft accelerates on the runway, depending on how big and heavy the tyres are so they might have an adverse effect on the length of the takeoff roll. Then there's the chaos as twenty or thirty big tyres go bouncing back down the runway.

New item for the pre-taxi checklist:

Anti-drone tyres...........Confirm removed from wings

On one level it's a laugh, but it's also indicitave of the new military realities being ushered in by this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JimmyChew

Leaving them on there during Take off? wow they couldn't be that stupid could they?

I see there are conflicting reports about Shahed drones or parts of coming down in Romania. I'm sure its been discussed here before but wouldn't the Ukraine brass absolutely love an incident, either accidental or otherwise with a NATO country.

Tempting for some Ukrainian General who, sanctioned or unsanctioned might be under pressure or feeling the fatigue of war to try something silly to drag NATO into the fight. A false flag that could really set things off!

Update on the wing tyres: Will is saying that they're more likely to be some form of pattern-disrupting camouflage paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

WarGonzo is reporting Ukrainian advances towards Ocheretuvate. Ocheretuvate is on the T0401, the main road linking Tokmak and Polohy.

https://goo.gl/maps/ifHhzi5AfR7MWCZX8

These are two of the major towns behind the front line in the south. How important would that road be up to now for the Russian logistics? I assume it would not have been mined up to now because the Russians need it for their own troop and equipment movements. If the Russians continue to lose ground, they must at some point decide to mine the road. But that will inhibit their own movements and how much mining could they do with the front line advancing closer. Or would they rely on artillery to control the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Would it not be easier for the next plane taking off not be able to manoeuver it’s way in and out between the tyres - especially if it’s in a hurry ?…????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Leaving them on there during Take off? wow they couldn't be that stupid could they?

It's hard to imagine and my tongue was in my cheeek when I typed that, but when you consider...

• Low Russian morale and unmotivated ground crews
    • Pilots who may not be able to see the wing from the cockpit (although they should be doing a pre-flight walk-around which would catch it).
    • The fact that a number of air accidents have been caused by crew omitting critical checklist items e.g. Northwest flight 255 in 1987

... it remains unlikely, but not impossible.

(Unless of course there are no tyres and it really is just paint.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Surrender seems to be more the fashion these days

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

God help any Russians trying to lay mines now between 2nd-3rd defense lines, if any of them are within range of Ukrainian cluster bombs...there would be more cleared than new ones laid I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

as we know, thinking is not a popular exercise between ruSSians. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Strange why wouldn't they paint the whole wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭josip

Maybe because then the effect would be lessened and the aircraft shape would again stand out.

But I think these are real tyres and not camouflage, performing a similar role to cope cages. I expect it's not a big job for them to remove them before they take-off and the Tu-95 should be sturdy enough to withstand the tyres/boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Save your skin, what's the point of dying or being mutilated for some distant f****rs in Moscow or those giving orders from well behind the lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Based on this the tires argument looks stronger

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's the Russians, their front-line troops had medical kits from WW2, their maps of Chernobyl were from 1985 and pre-dated the accident, they are currently hoisting Pantsr's onto old Soviet missile towers (like the German Flak towers)

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be surprised if they are lobbing tires onto planes to make them more "drone proof".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

Speculating about possible Ukrainian false flag ops to drag NATO into the fray? Leave the false flag stuff to the Russians: they are world champions at that, if at nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JimmyChew

I agree. But a battle weary Commander with control over a group of men and some equipment/artillery/drones of Russian origin could cause unwelcome issues. I'm not saying this could come from the top and upon investigation the route cause would be quickly identified but stranger things have and will happen over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The area just to the north of that village became a greyzone on August 27th (according to and only according to Liveuamap), the same time as it was reported that Ukrainians made gains towards it.

It's worth pointing out that it's a major outlier on the map front (being 6 kms further south than the DeepState map for example. Still, another village has entered my daily word search. There'd be some serious rejigging of maps if it was close to accurate though 😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Another KA52 helicopter gone. Russia confirmed it crashed in the sea of Azov and the pilots were rescued. These must be an endangered species by now.

Seen a lot of videos lately of Russians in the Novoprovka or whatever it's called getting hit hard by artillery and drones. It's pretty clear why Ukraine haven't just continued to advance. Russia has been sending lots of reinforcements and the place is infested like tics.

They're probably happy to pick them off in big numbers before going for another push.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Possibly but i can't see Ukraine trying something like that now it looks like they are making slow progress after a frustrating few months. Wouldn't say there is zero chance of it though.

Edit: I see the Minister of Foreign Affairs Dmytro Kubala stated that Ukraine has photo evidence of the fall of Russian drones on the territory of Romania. Very interesting. Someone is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Kind of like tanks in WW2 when they would place logs onto the sides of their tanks so might take a round from another tank or bazooka rounds. So I presume this is the same thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

These Ka-52 losses really puzzle me. Those are some of Russia's most advanced combat helicopters, and they're not exactly bad either. These aircraft were designed before the T-14 & Su-57 phase of Russian defense procurement, so they're solid designs with decent production numbers. And yet, they seem to be dropping like flies. According to Oryx, 40 aircraft of the type have been lost so far during the war, out of a total production run of 190 or so.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

With the KA52 imagine the increased activity is taking a toll on them. Together with smarter use of the anti aircraft assets on the part of the UAF. One suggestion was greater use of RBS-70s rather than over reliance on Stingers.

The KA52 would seem to be one of the more effective bits of equipment in the Russian arsenal. Can see even greater losses if the counter offensive ramps up its momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That would explain it alright. Increasing activity, an effective weapons platform, and a recognized threat. Getting deployed in an environment where there's no real air superiority isn't helping either, I presume. While Ukraine isn't doing much in the way of air-to-air, at least not much that gets out, the Russian Air Force isn't really active either, at least not over the immediate combat zone, which means that Ukrainian SAM assets can operate more freely than you'd otherwise think, which probably isn't doing wonders either.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It's one of the striking features of this conflict, almost WW 1 level of aerial combat, with drones, rather than Fokkers and Camels, drones and SAMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also it seems kind of pointless to have "camo" paint on a huge old bomber like that. They're pretty easy to see (and if they move, hear).

Not saying having a pile of tires on the wing is any less silly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement