Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular home considerations

Options
  • 04-09-2023 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm thinking about getting a modular home built at the side of my property to use as rental accomodation for tenants. Looking for advice on what I should get done upfront.

I can fit 7m x 3m. I'm thinking maybe 3.5m for the bedroom and 3.5m for kitchen/living, with a bathroom somewhere in there too. I'm hoping then to fit 2 single beds in the bedroom. Hopefully that will be big enough for the beds and a wardrobe. Any advice on whether to make the bedroom bigger or smaller? Bigger bedroom does mean smaller living room. I think I could possible get more rent for 2 single people instead of a couple.

Rent price would be fixed so it would include electricity consumption. Someone mentioned to me that I should have the heating controlled from inside my home as I could easily get a tenant clocking up a hefty heating bill for me.

Someone else said to me not to rent to women as they are generally a lot messier and more expensive to manage than guys. Examples I was given from this particular landlord was drains getting blocked up due to sanitary pads getting flushed down the toilet, fake tan stains on the walls, long showers and hair drying, etc.

Anything else I should consideration in advance of the build?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sounds like a container. Would you want to live in it yourself, sharing with another single?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The small matter of planning permission?

Connection to utilities - mains water, drains, electricity? It would more than likely need it's own, separate, connection to the electricity network.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 millsy

Yep does sound like a container but you'd be surprised how spacious they feel once kitted out right. If I was younger and stuck for somewhere to stay then I would live in it.

Planing permission not required foranything under 40 square metres. This home would be half of that.

Cheers. I'd have to speak to an electrician about the connection. Not sure the best way myself. Fuse board on other side of house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

There was, a few years ago, a slum lord near my mother's house who was renting a house in Dublin 5 out to about 30 Roma gypsies. Apparently, he had a shipping container in the back yard wherein resided 6 people, with the central heating provided via an oven with no door....These days, that would be premier Dublin accomodation!

All that aide, a shipping container CAN be livable if converted correctly. I would be happy to stay in one that was properly set up. That being said, I'm always wary when I see stories of these innovating "solutions" to the housing crisis. They always seem like a fancy way to dress up increasingly dismal options for increasingly desperate people as something that one would actually want in a sane world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

During your planning you can design the house to the shape of containers.

Whether planners will pass it is another question.

Then you need these modular builds to have the relevant certification to be used in Ireland. MMC Ireland will be able to help.

But first things first, sort planning. Everything else after that is a technical exercise and will be dependant on your budget.

Planing permission not required foranything under 40 square metres. This home would be half of that.

As a self contained dwelling it would not be an exempt dwelling. The 40sqm exemption applies to an extension to an existing dwelling, subject to other conditions.

As far as know a 25sqm limit applies to a detached garage or shed.

Any standalone habitable development requires planning permission, even siting a mobile home.

Get planning advice from a professional. You don't want to go spending money to build something you have to spend more money to knock down again.

Cheers. I'd have to speak to an electrician about the connection. Not sure the best way myself. Fuse board on other side of house though.

Speak to ESB networks too. A seperate dwelling is almost certainly going to require its own supply. Connecting a second dwelling to your existing supply would almost certainly exceed your domestic supply rating and not be permitted.

Connecting another dwelling to mains water and drains is probably going to need permission of Uisce Éireann and/or local authority and may require a development levy to be paid.

It's a separate dwelling, get professional advice regarding any development from someone who is willing to sign their name to their advice and has professional indemnity insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Was that in Elm Mount Beaumont by any chance? I heard that story from someone I know whose mom lives good few doors away.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It was. I could be misremembering the detailed, but I do remember that the house was pointed out to me one. It looked like a rats' nest.

• Advertisement

“Planing permission not required foranything under 40 square metres. This home would be half of that.”

Then it’s not a home. It’s an extension. And as it’s to the side, it needs planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Totally need planning permission on three points at least, it's at side of house and it's to be habitable and is separate. The rules you quoted don't apply in that case. You can take your chances but local authority can tell you get rid of it at your own cost!

I will apply for plannign permission, but I think only required because it's to be habitable. Otherwise I think it would be fine, just like building a shed. I think worse case if no planning permission would be to no longer use as habitable accomodation but instead as a home office.

You’re building an extension to the side. Planning is required no matter what unless it’s a shed/garage.

Don't think that's entirely accurate. Quoting one particular website:

Exemptions for Planning Permission

• Garden rooms being used for home office space, garden studio space, extra living space, man cave/teenager den, bar would fall under the exemption. Any uses to the effect of being slept in or lived in, would not.
    • Garden rooms or any modular structure can be placed either behind or to the side of the existing property. Not to the front. If placed to the side of the property, you must either screen the structure with trees/bushes etc. Or match the front facing façade of the structure to that of the existing property.

So for me, planning only required if I choose to have people living in there.

Anyone have any idea of how long planning for this project would take to get approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I suggest you read the actual published guidance rather than some random website with a vested interested in selling you a product, see link below

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.opr.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Planning-Leaflet-8-A-Guide-to-Doing-Work-Around-the-House-1.pdf

Sorry you are mistaken.

Planning is required for any extension to the side, whether a it’s a bedroom or not.

The exemptions for sheds/garden rooms etc are different and fall under a different set of rules and floor area. For example, they can only be 25 square meters and when places to the side, have to match the main house in regards finishes.

where are you based ?

time frame is statutory. 8 weeks from the day you lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

The rules for front of house are different to side and back of house. The only thing that is exempted at the front/side of the house would be a 2m2 porch.

You can actually build a shed or garage to the side without planning. Once it doesn’t breach the front building line and it matches the main dwelling.

But i agree, for what the op wants, planning is required.

Advertisement