Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Slow Down' day

• 04-09-2023 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Gardaí are carrying out a national speed enforcement operation for the next 24 hours, amid what they said is an "alarming increase" in road deaths. The 'Slow Down' day, which began at 7am, aims to remind drivers of the dangers of speeding and to increase compliance with speed limits.

Has anyone notice this enforcement anywhere as against the normal day to day Garda presence! 🙂

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'll announce later that they detected something like 0.5% of all drivers were speeding. and the roads will be safe again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dammit forgot to speed this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭bigroad

So tomorrow is speed back up day.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Strange how the can say that speed is a factor in recent deaths and can talk of increasing penalty points and fines but don't release details on how many of the cars involved were possible death traps. I mean bad tyres, poor breaks and so on. They would have been off the road in we had a functional NCT test.

There's potentially tens of thousands of death traps on the road. How about operation random stop and check tyre thread depth and break test instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do you brake test at the side of the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

They're out detecting on motorways - the safest roads and where going 140 in a 120 is reported as being reckless in the media. Going 80 on some rural roads that are akin to cattle boreens is the embodiment of reckless as ditches are overgrown and zero visibility of the dangers around the corner but doesn't deter a lot of road users I encounter.

I don't think any of the crashes recently were on Motorways and perhaps safety belt use and car functionality are more important.

It's the usual PR exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

More in their line to get

all uninsured and untaxed cars off the road

all NCTs up to date

why worry about PPs when you have no tax, no insurance no NCT and no licence

Its the civil liberties crowd that are preventing the pooling of this information

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

why they choose speed is simple - it's the easiest offence to detect (if you even try to detect it). you don't need to stop the car and perform checks, you stand at the side of the road with a camera or radar gun, job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

while all the people going in the opposite direction flash their lights to warn people about the check, resulting in everyone dropping their speed to about 20km/h below the limit.

I read in another thread that the French police now have unmarked cars driving around detecting peoples speed. All the talk about lower speed limits and extra penalty points, the main problem is lack of enforcement. You can speed, you can drive like an asshole - you almost certainly won't be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

They can see how long it that's for them to come to a stop once they flash their lights at them....

I was of course being cynical. I just think the current rise in deaths is totally be blamed on speed and there are several factors involved.

Speed checking on motorways isn't going to stop deaths on back-arse roads with overgrown hedges and pot holes. Speed checking isn't going to stop confused and elderly drivers who never actually sat a driving test from driving down the wrong side of the motorway (something I've had first hand experience of twice)

It's the government being seen to be doing something when in fact it's another money grab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Speed checking on motorways isn't going to stop deaths on back-arse roads with overgrown hedges and pot holes. 

Stop driving at inappropriate speeds might. Speeding on motorways is tied to general compliance with the laws and rules of the road. Drive at the speed that you can see and safely stop in is completely beyond most motorists (which would deal with the overgrown hedge and pot hole problem, and other road condition incidents).

Why so much is still manual rather than fixed and mobile cameras and ANPR cameras though is really the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Usual knee jerk reaction, every day should be a "slow down day" not just when road deaths are all over media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭randomname2005

While the motorways are probably the safest roads in the country, going 116% of the speed limit is kinda reckless. It is easy to misjudge speed, especially when someone is going that fast.

However, I do agree that the Gardaí should be monitoring other roads. There are a lot of 50 kmph roads where I live which change from 80kmph and the percentage of cars that slow down can probably be counted on 2 hands. These are roads beside schools and housing estates which should be policed more. And even in estates - having 30kmph roads in estates is a great idea, but nobody ever checks the speeds that people are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Came on to state some of this. Motorway speeding while reckless is not leading to the majority of the fatalities. It's the national and primary roads which need more monitoring. I even see speed vans parked at known bottleneck junctions where the traffic 90% of the time is at a crawl! More thinking needed in the placement of these checkpoints.

"In the first two hours of enforcement measures, from 7am to 9am, gardaí checked 15,786 vehicles and detected 50 travelling in excess of the speed limit."

well, i was not that far off. only 0.3% of drivers 'were exceeding the speed limit' this morning. three in every thousand.

perhaps they decided to issue tickets to 50 drivers, but if that's the case, they need to handle the messaging around this better. were 50 tickets handed out, or were only 50 people detected exceeding the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RBBBBSS

I think the issue is also the fact that Stevie Wonder could see the vans with his eyes closed 250 metres away.

They need to be much more covert and well disguised. Is there any reason we can’t install cameras in fake wheelie bins like they do in the Netherlands? There are certain roads I drive on that are treated like Brands Hatch. I’m also too scared to cycle on certain routes.

I bet my next payslip if cameras were hidden and secretly placed on certain stretches of road they’d quickly realise that over 50% are exceeding the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

I started my morning shift at 6am and i haven't seen a single Garda. I drive a coach in Dublin.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

Absolutely guaranteed RTE will have some reporter smuck sent out to a checkpoint with a raft of Garda cars and bikes in the background (the newer ones of course) and some politician talking nonsense. It will more than likely be in Dublin at some busy junction for effect not on some narrow backroad in Roscommon/Monaghan etc.. with a ridiculous 80kph limit where the majority of these cars are mysteriously driving themselves into walls and trees

It's all about PR.

Amnesty International’s new investigation shows that Israel imposes a system of oppression and domination against Palestinians across all areas under its control: in Israel and the OPT, and against Palestinian refugees, in order to benefit Jewish Israelis. This amounts to apartheid as prohibited in international law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Deub

I had a laugh when I first arrived in Ireland and saw my first speed van. I was used to unmarked cars on the side of the road or even in the traffic. Imagine my surprise when I see a big white van with signage and reflectors all around. I was not speeding but I actually slowed down to see what it was. At this point, the only thing missing on it is flashing lights. If you get caught, it is because you don’t pay attention to what is far ahead of you so you kind of deserve the fine only for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

What percentage of crashes do untaxed cars cause do you think never heard of any myself

I’d happily agree to abolish penalty points for speeding if we could fit all new cars with permanent monitoring devices and GUARANTEE that speeders will be punished for each and every infringement.

The monitoring device could be linked to one’s PPS number and/or bank account.

As soon as you exceed the limit, the money is deducted from your bank or wages or dole.

The first infringement will be be €100, then €200, then €300 and so on until the message sinks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 youngbird

Because to say this would be classed as victim blaming and no politician is going to come out and say as much. Also, these factors are difficult to monitor as part of a PR (i.e. go slow) campaign by the guards.

In saying that, go around any car park in Ireland and you will easily find worn out/inappropriate tyres - we have a pretty lax attitude to tyre condition here. One example in my experience being a local minibus driver who does school runs - full set of bald tyres on the minibus for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 youngbird

Plus, I drove from West Wicklow to Trim today - motorway and multiple back roads - not a single garda in sight.

In the first five hours of National Slow Down Day, GoSafe checked the speed of 37,916 vehicles and detected 127 vehicles travelling in excess of the applicable speed limit.

detection rate holding steady at approx 0.3%; which is pathetic. but this time it's clarified that it's GoSafe providing the figures, which figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

With the way RTE are reporting it, the 7-8 deaths in the past two weeks were by deranged, drug and alchohol abusers using their phones while 30km/hr over the speed limit.

Let us not forget this nugget in 2017 where gardai were found to be faking many many breath tests:

Leo couldn't give a flying fock about road safety or your life. All he cares about is rolling in more $$$$$$.

Won't stop people voting for him though.

Bring in the cash for the government paymasters and then tell is in the budget they have no money to spend

the GoSafe contract inevitably costs more than the fines they bring in; so the financial objection is not that it's simply a way for the govt to bring in more revenue, but that it's simply a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I met a bike cop in the town today which is a first I think, of all the people driving utterly ridiculous it was him

No blues on and took a blind turn (toward me) about a foot over the white line on my side and took off up the road like he was late for his dinner

Met him coming back out of the town, again no blues and he was doing at least 90/100 in a 60

Totally ridiculous behaviour

one rule for thee and not for me

Someone is going to get the ticket so he make his quota for the day 32km in a 30 km for example

They get paid a flat rate regardless of the number of infringements detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

They could cut on the death rate by improving the roads - cut down trees, put safety barriers in place, take out unnecessary bends, provide more overtaking lanes and provide dedicated cycling lanes between towns, like they have in many European countries.

• Advertisement

And makes it look like they are doing something. Same as housing, health, crime etc.... etc.... This government has fooled gullible people for years with well rehearsed PR.

8 hrs on the road today and only the one Garda spotted and he was stood outside Leinster house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm almost certain that the design speed of Irish motorways is 100mph in dry conditions i.e. today

These **** optics operations really get on my nerves. 1. They are completely ineffective 2. Largely take place on roads that are capable of sustaining high speed.

If they were actually interested in roads policing, they'd be out on rural roads at 2am on a Saturday night. However catching the one lethal lunatic at that time is much less impressive statistically than picking off numerous commuters on high speed roads.

It's the one we deserve if we keep voting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Sad in the recent accidents to see cars left the road and hit walls. Most people haven't a hope in accidents like these. Most were single car accidents too which in a way is a blessing......... but its not either.

I really think the public need to be told the cause of these crashes and the sooner the better as I know it would shock a lot of us. We all drive badly from time to time. The slightest distraction can be the difference between life and death, and in a split second. I could be wrong but I would think mobile phones are playing a HUGE part in the rise of fatal car crashes. If you're not looking at the road you don't brake, therefore you hit obstacles at a faster rate. It doesn't mean you're necessarily speeding, it means you're reactions are non existent to the circumstances. Phones are lethal!

Those frightening Road Safety ads featuring people looking at their phones and cars flying over hedges into gardens need to come back ! They are shocking for a reason. We all need to be told what causes crashes as it will stop a lot of our own bad behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

This morning 8:00, Hilton roundabout after M50, heading for Clonshaugh Lane.

Girl in front of me isn't paying attention, doesn't notice that there is no room for her on the far side of the roundabout and ends up with her nose blocking the roundabout.

I had left room for her to reverse but, no, she sat there casually flicking a fag out the window with her eyes locked on her phone.

One driver wound his way round her, shaking his head - not even a beep of the horn.

Pig ignorance has become the order of the day, it seems.

Time to get a dashcam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

i don't know if it's the final figure, but slow down day seems to have ended with just about 0.2% of motorists detected as exceeding the speed limit. so they're spending €1.2m more on a problem that seemingly doesn't exist.

"The first 12 hours of the initiative saw GoSafe cameras check the speed of 142,796 vehicles, detecting 310 which were travelling in excess of the applicable speed limit"

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Well any statistics reported or released after Slow down yesterday!

Number of speeding motorists, percentage of offenders, areas of the country more at risk..........................another exercise where the Government advisers feel it looks like they are doing something, so lets gets the Garda Boys out and be seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

having watched the news report, I'm shocked that very few drivers were detected speeding by a clearly marked detection van sitting at the end of a long straight road in broad daylight.

And on a day advertised in all media that they will do a lot of check.

The people that got caught yesterday, wanted to be caught. I have no other explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭quokula

I mean that's literally the whole point of it, to get people to slow down. So sounds like it worked.

Yeah for one day…

They also could have said in the media they would increase controls for the next few weeks and instead of doing X hundred checks in one day, they could have spread them for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Same old same old..............! 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement