Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 8 /Final) Killarney Mahony's point (2nd Sept @12:30pm)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well done RR, you can relax now and well done to all the prize winners and combatants throughout the year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So it was a great weekend away. I stayed in Kenmare as I hadn't played the course before and it had an Open Friday. Found it very tight in places and super fast greens so probably not the best prep in hindsight but I couldn't pass up a new course.

On the day I was matched with Space, Kiith and Seve so knew from the onset I was going to be well short off the tee relative to what I've seen those lads hit from previous rounds together. Wasn't bothered though as there's more to just milling it off the tee.

Kiith tells me he's a nomad this year so likely too much rust but even so I see he shot 36 so was quietly brought in the points. Space was off the boil, no real errors as such but when you're off that low a handicap you really have to capitalise on the greens and he got no rub with just the solo long snake and a birdie early on. Seve was hitting it a mile and tore the front 9 apart with some great scrambling with the odd wayward drive, more than once he manufactured up and downs to limit damage when needed. A scorecard with a lot of 3's and well deserved winner on the day.

I figured 41pts to win so needed to shoot 7over off society handicap which is pretty much having to play the round of my life. But it was full sun and hot so my favourite conditions. A nice fairway finder on the first with iron to around 8ft. But the greens were slower than they looked and I left it short for a tap in, I hate three putting the first so always err conservative but was well shocked at how the ball stopped rather than roll to a finish. Bogey two putt on the second and pulled my approach on the long third left and left my punch onto the green short, there were places with the grass cut towards you and they were a bitch for me to judge, a double which was annoying as I was tee high in two. First par three next and a smooth iron right at it to about 7/8ft and fuk me left it a ball or so short for a two, perhaps the ultra fast greens in Kenmare hadn't worked their way out of my subconscious. So a short birdie putt on one, double on three and missed birdie on four. Given my stretch target of +7 gross I had a rage drive on five into heavy stuff, penalty drop and good lay up but pushed my iron right into grass going against me which resulted in chip on being short and leaving too long a putt to salvage a point. So a stupid scratch when others in the group and birdie and routine par. The logic in me knew it was all over for Captains and GOTY especially as I was keeping Seve's card with him now well ahead. That really is the end of my story.

So now my target was to not give up and get a cut off my WHS. I finished with 7 bogies and 5 pars, getting just the one long putt on 17, cupping a birdie putt on 15 and missing makeable birdie putts on 10 and 16 with four 3putts thrown into the mix.

Overall I was happy off the tee, didn't miss any layups and for me had a way above average day with the irons. Unusually it was simply too many putts, I average around 30-31 putts a round so that's what held me back on the day.

Surprised to finish 4th as there were 6 on 36pts so the strong back 9 of 20pts allowed me to pip 3 others on the same score. Got a 0.4cut too so happy out.

That's me until mid October for golf, work takes over and then heading off on the hols.

Great backroom team, great Capt year and with interest I await Alan's twist on things. See some of ye for the Jug!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A Lake Reflection.

As the near full moon lit the putting green at 2 am – a putting contest ended a spectacular year and amazing Captains Weekend.

The captains’ day is the highlight of the boards golf society year, but as the society has grown in strength and maturity – this is now almost a weekend and festival of golf – everything going on for a good 60 hours, all about golf, 2 rounds, challenges, golf  chats , putting mats, chipping , range – general odd and out there humor of golf and boards. What a weekend. As Benny always says – “I love the internet golf weirdos”.

I had the privilege of picking Roadrunner to be captain for 2023 – I wanted a captain , we could trust and one who loves golf. The interesting thing about this was when he was picked , I knew it would be different – I knew he would put his own spin on things. And from the off, with the “4 club challenge” – he was able to surprise, shake things up , be fresh . Even the idea of a Links swing was very interesting. RR has a very different approach to most things – and that is what, I have grown to love about BGS – you can learn something , disagree on things , but still share a golfing journey together.

The one thing RR said to me when he took up the job was,  he is not good at public speaking – but that is not what the job is about – you should beware of loudmouths out front😐️. The job is about setting a theme and goal for the year. It was clear that RR wanted the year to be fun, informal , full of laughter and talking, great courses and enjoyable golf.

The weekend started on Friday – and it is a great testament to the society, that we got 16 golfers on a Friday. The weather was very poor for about 5 holes – but again , we are hardcore here and we all stayed out. Not only stayed out – RR himself had 36 / 37 pts – that is serious golf in them conditions. His driving was unreal, and as always, his distance control was incredible.

I’ve had a few things on this year, work and life wise – so again another lost season of golf for me. But over the last 3 weeks – I tried to put a bit of work into my game and there are small signs of hope. I was thinking I will at least try get on the jug team.

When we woke up on Saturday – it was glorious. The 1 iron challenge was to be held at a range – not actually at course – this felt awkward, but, when we got there, it was a golf facility I would kill to have in Dublin – we really have had terrible facilities in ranges in Dublin for too long. Everyone there was testing all their game – the sense of occasion was epic.

As I was chipping away , striking the wedges poor enough (again)  - Seve was there winning the 1 iron challenge and holing chips – I felt the signs were there.  My calls of him as favourite were shorting by the minute.

It was great fun and laughs – and you can see how much this group love their golf – golf is not just golf, it is their life, what they work hard at. But I’m beginning to see golf can be an escape, a refuge for many – an important part of your overall health and wellbeing.

All the various characters, that such a random golf society can bring along – the loud , the harsh, the deep, the brains to burn , the quiet ones, the steely ones, the determined ones, the funny ones, the glue, the heart , the joy.

We were having so much fun at the range – time was slipping, before I knew it. I was running to the first tee with hardly a practice putt. A thing I would regret for most the day and night.

We really had a great group – I was very lucky due to the maths of GOTY to be paired with Captain RR – and Token and Tiger – Tiger is now a long time friend and at times foe for the 5er. Token a new member – what a golfer. He can do anything as far as I can see. Token could literally have ran away with it – he was always near top of live scoring – but the greens killed him for the win.

My own quality of golf was excellent – but I just couldn’t hole anything.

Some of the ball striking from RR – was truly amazing – power and speed and spin and distance control, what a player . I told him he should be on tour , maybe the Asian tour.

Tiger loves the weekend away every year – but is struggling with injury at present. Hopefully he gets back – as he is a much cherished member of the society.

Rumours were going around that SeveOB was on a storm , I knew I would not be able to get into the 40s – something I can never do. But I was very happy to be at a boards outing and actually be competitive – something I haven’t been for many years.

And then we hit 18 – what an unusual hole, something that looks more like Cyprus point or some exotic course. Not south west Ireland.

We then hit the amazing clubhouse – and a sun was setting on a perfect lake view , reflecting a perfect Boards day.

The presentation was great fun – and despite RRs prediction that he did not like or do speeches – his members and audience, have really enjoyed them , his angle and humor and performances over the year. But as I said earlier, that is all bull ****. Golfers , know when a captain has been a great captain, they know it is about the golf and the fun and comradeship . And RR has made the year amazing in that regard.

So another year done – the years are floating by after covid. People have had tough times over the last few years – there has been dark times and loss for some members.

BGS is a place you can escape, challenge yourself to play new courses – and challenge yourself to be outside your comfort zone.

Fair play SeveOB on winning the captains prize – you’ve put the work in, so well deserved. BallyK was an extremely popular winner of GOTY – and he made a beautiful speech after – and the pints were flowing from him.

I’m off to get ready for the jug – just made it , but Token a massive loss.

I’m delighted that Alanm is the new captain – he is an absolutely class golfer , a solid honest guy , a total gent. But the most important reason is . Alanm – has done all his own work on his golf game , but I’d like to think Boards played a massive part in the golfer he became.

Hopefully see all next year – I will end on one point , please keep posting – or at the very least – keep hitting “BOMBS”.

Best of luck RR on the Asian tour and the after dinner speech circuit

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Me no talky-talky much, but thanks for fixy-fixy amigo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good morning golfers and lurkers

I'll post properly later on, but just want to say a quick thanks again to Captain Fantastic on a well organised weekend of great golf, craic and fun.

Here is something to get the nerds excited, the 1 iron challenge results

and for the uber nerds, here is a link to the full stats of your shots in excel

I can upload or pm anyone who want a video of their shot

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Snackbox20

Thanks a million for that info @Seve OB

I've started new ways already to try and distance to my shots. I've been knocking a shed this morning with a sledge hammer.

Post round analysis to follow soon

Keep your head down and shoulders centered through the swing 😎

Ahhhh yes, the essential fundamentals. As a pirate, I can also put the swingless club in my bag - a cannon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There are certainly not many more spectacular sites for a golf course than Killarney, surrounded with lakes and the Macgillycuddy's Reeks it really shows off how stunning the Irish landscape can be.

A really apt site to finish off a great year of golf.

Had the pleasure of a chauffeur driven trip down with the Captain talking golf, friends, music, film, TV and cartoons, just to name a few of the topics. A stop off to charge in Cashel gave us a quick view of the Rock, another fantastic Irish landmark.

Arrived down to find a great crew ready to go and play the Killeen course. A warm day, sun shining, and great company.

I think I've switched into lucky charm mode since I came back from my holiday at the start of August. Have played 4 singles events times, twice at my home course where my playing partners won the comps, then played with the Friday and Saturday winners in Killarney. Think I'll be a popular partner as word gets out. Must be my fantastic company and calming influence that brings out the best in other golfers 😉

Played with RR, Alanm and Fix on the day, and the lads all played superbly, finishing as the top 3 golfers on the day.

The sun didn't last all round with some seriously torrential stuff mid round. Think we were some of the few stubborn enough to stick it out (in typical Boards fashion), but we played in in the sun and rounded out a great day with a few pints, a quiz and a putting comp in the hotel, roping in a wedding party to the comp.

A few seedy heads the next morning, but everyone was looking focussed and ready for the big day.

Started with the 1 iron challenge and unfortunately I used up all my good strikes with Bakerbhoys warm up 1-iron (I really struck it well, was actually pretty tempting)

Onto the golf and the Captains Prize, had Seve, Slave and Kiith for company. Have had the pleasure of all of their company's in the best, and all are absolute gents and have their own talents on the course.

Slaves distance control with a wedge or iron is superb. He had a big score lurking, but the usually fantastic putter just couldn't get up to speed on the day.

Kiith has prodigious length and a great attitude. Plays with a smile on his face, but his golf balls certainly don't smile with the hurt he puts on them. A few bad lines off the tee probably hurt him but a solid round of golf.

Seve looked focussed from arrival on Friday and kept that focus and determination on show throughout. Stalked the greens and putted well. When Seve drives well he usually scores well, and he drove well on the day, but also chipped and putted well with some serious up&downs for pars.

For me, I played some great golf and some terrible golf over the 2 days. Highlights being a birdie on the index 2 in Killeen on Friday from a 6i from a fairway bunker to about 18 inches, one of the best shots I've ever hit.

A glitch on the live scoring had me convinced Seves closing 2 holes had lost it for him. The par 3 18th marked as a par 9 in the system certainly skewed results 😆

A tense reading out of the results led to many worthy winners on the day (well not that many since Seve won most of the prizes)

A fantastic night out with a 2am pitch black putting contest to finish things off. What a way to sign things off.

Was delighted to hold on to a jug spot and hope to bring the trophy back home.

Thanks to Roadrunner for a great weekend and year.

Good luck to AlanM for 2024, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Post edited by spacecoyote on

One thing worth saying - we don't have two many 2 course resort type locations in Ireland - and I have to say, the whole set up there was class - the staff, the front of house staff - the friendly atmosphere in the bar and catering - the laid back and hard working staff. They were class at the course. Also I know the hotel Castlerosse is not linked to the courses - but it was the same there. I would like to also say well done to all involved - the value for money was incredible.

In a time in Ireland were the goodness can be taken out of an event due to bad value for money , poor accommodation and service. The whole weekend was a joy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Congrats @Seve OB and @ballyk .

And best of luck to @Alanm !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

This is my first year with the society and what a day and a course to finish on. But before I get into that I just want to say it was a pleasure playing with the society this year. Everyone I played with were fantastic and very welcoming and some very good golfers in these parts too. I mainly joined this year to experience new courses which I did in abundance but meeting everyone has been just as good an experience. If anyone is reading this and wondering if you should join next year, don't hestiate.

Unfortunately I couldn't play the first day but was really looking forward to Saturday having already been in Killarney for a few days and seeing the spectacular scenery. I haven't been playing particularly well lately and knowing I wasn't going to be around for the jug I only had the captains prize itself to play for but I certainly wasn't fancying my chances. I was out with FixdePitchmark, RoadRunner who I both played with before and Tiger for the first time and all were a pleasure to play with.

Fix played some great golf but as he said himself the putting just didn't go his way. There was at least 6 or 7 instances of the ball just rolling by the hole where on another day probably would have been in. But a great range of shots as I saw when I played with him in the windiest of days earlier in the year in Rosslare.

Road Runner again showed his class in large parts not least by almost making back to back birdies on the back 9. This almost had him promoted to the DP world Tour by Fix but not quite yet there. Maybe now that his captain days are behind him he can focus on making that step up. But in all seriousness some fantastic ball striking and great length as I found out the last time I played with him. Also a fantastic captain and a really great year, well done!!!

It was my first time playing with Tiger and he was a great partner to play alongside. Things didn't quite go his way on the front 9 with some unlucky approach play but he recovered well with a few great pars mid round. The concentration went a bit on the last few holes I think so overall unlucky but plenty in the tank if he can get his regular practice in for next year.

My day was almost a great one, as I said I really haven't been playing well the last few weeks so expectations were low, in particular my driving had been poor. But this was one of those days were it just clicked and bar one slight pull my driving was dialed in. The front 9 I did actually scratch a hole due to some dodgy short game play but still managed 22 points. My iron play was pretty solid I must admit and this gave me great chances for pars and even a birdie on the 5th. But ultimately it was the putting on the back nine and just a slightly offline drive on 15 that cost me the win. The drive on 15 I caught very well but pulled slightly left and it ended up in the taller wispy rough and couldn't be found. I was just short of the green with my provisional but a very poor 3 putt cost me the point on the hole and I couldn't go better than bogey on the last 3 holes to make a final charge. All in all though I really enjoyed the round and well done Seve on the win, a great round of golf.

I'm already looking forward to next year and no doubt that AlanM will be a fantastic captain. I had the pleasure of playing with him a few times this year and he is undoubtedly a top class golfer and just as much a gentlemen too. I'm gutted to have to miss the jug but unfortunately it was the worse timing for me. I've every confidence in Fix coming in to replace me though. It goes without saying, best of luck to the team and based on the quality of golfers on it you have every chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Alanm

What a brilliant weekend that was! Congrats RoadRunner on a fantastic year.

Congratulations BallyK on the GOTY, you've had a very solid year and it was well deserved. Also congratulations Seve, a great score on what turned out to be a resonably tough course in the end - and of course congrats to all the other prize winners on the day.

The weekend started out with a good group playing the Killeen course on the Friday afternoon. Following a long drive down, I had a good hour to get ready for round 1. Of course I spent that entire time chatting and messing on the putting green so standing on the first tee with no full swing warm up I wasn't expecting too much. As it happens, it didn't hurt me much as I proceeded to play some very steady golf (my short game really rescuing a score). I really enjoyed playing with RoadRunner/Space and Fix, the standard of golf was very high even during the torrential downpour - in fact, I think I got better in the rain! As already mentioned, it is a testament to our group that not 1 person went in - although I'd say it did cross all our minds at one stage, especitally when the water started pooling on the greens! The course took it well and it wasn't too long before the worst drained off.

So round 1 done, second place prize for myself (with a nice 75/36 pts), confidence high, roll on day 2. Before that of course there were a few beers, a putting contest, a random bride and groom joining in, more beers and just a little hangover leading into day 2.

Prior to the main event, we had the 1 iron challenge - never hit one before, it was fun! Mine was over 200 yds almost dead straight, I'd nearly buy it off you Seve - it even works well for 30 yd chips (isnt' that right Fix/GG :D)

I played Mahonys point with Break80/Kev_S88 and A Post Punk, a very enjoyable round of golf, great company and some pretty decent shots hit by all of us from time to time. Unfortunately not quite enough great shots from any of us to be up there challenging for the top spot. The weather was glorious, the views spectacular and all in all a great choice of course for a captains final outing.

Following the prize giving, a quick shower and into Killarney for many beers, some quality dancing (not by me), some loud singing (again not much by me) and a lot of craic. Plenty of late night pizza followed by beers and phone lit putting. A fitting end to a quality year.

Best of luck to all who made the Jug and I look forward to seeing you all next year.

(Soon to be captain) Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

That was quite the two days!

As a newcomer to golf (only picked up a club around November last year) and also the Boards society, it's been a great experience to join the society. I've played courses that I'd ordinarily not have gotten to, and everyone I've played with so far has been bang on and very welcoming to a complete newbie.

After 24 points at Bunclody, I was happy but knew my 'arms only' swing needed to improve, so I took a lesson since then focusing on rotation that threw me back to square one again.

So although I was out with a great group for Day 1 on Killeen, I was utterly atrocious. Couldn't hit two decent shots in a row, lots of thins, fats, tops, shanks, hooks, and anything else that wasn't a good straight golf shot. Mostly scratches, many lost balls, and a miserable four points for the round. The commiseration was the craic with Snackbox20, SeveOB, and Break80 who were all gents, and I'm still amused remembering the torrential downpour when we hit the 10th hole, and that swim up the 11th.

Day 2, I'd accepted this was not a weekend for good golf for me. I was paired up with Paulos and ssbob who, again, were both gents and never made a deal of my poor play. The day was cracking, with the sun splitting the stones, and the views were spectacular. Finished with 10 points - more than twice as good as Day 1, as my dad pointed out by phone later that evening :D Every cloud...! I'm hoping someone challenges me for the double 'Most Golf Played' at the next Captains weekend though.

Killarney was a superb experience, I really enjoyed the courses, especially Mahony's (seemed slightly more newbie friendly), and the views were unreal. Well worth the long drive down!

Huge thanks to Roadrunner for his captaincy thus year, and to all the committee and members who started it and keep it going. It's a credit to you all. And cheers to all the members who I've played with and met this year; it's great to be so welcomed, and frankly inspiring to see such high levels of golf played. Congrats to Alanm who I had the pleasure of playing with twice this year - a gentleman and a great golfer who I'm excited to see put his stamp on the year ahead.

I'm looking forward to a much more active 2024 with the society, hoping to talk a few new members into joining, and maybe even breaking past 10 points! Cheers all. 

Tl;dr: Killarney class, Jimmy's golf was crap, Boards Society great, need to shoot more than 10 points next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

A really great captain's day and night, to top off an extremely enjoyable year of golf. Similar to others, I'm relatively new to the society with this being my second year but it's been a great experience getting out to play new courses with new faces and I'd definitely recommend anyone on the fence about joining to play.

The warm up facility was top notch, spent about an hour between the chipping greens, range, wedge area and then over to the putting green.

Unfortunately I had a poor day on the course in terms of scoring, I battled against a poor day of putting as long as I could but the wheels really came off on the last 4 holes when everything deserted me.

I have been striking the ball very well lately and that continued on Saturday. A drive and wedge left me a birdie putt on one, the speed of the green was slower than the putting green and I three putted. Onto the second and a poor second shot and then the third one found sand, I took two to get out, ended up scratching. Made a lovely approach on the par 3 4th but made a poor putt for the birdie and parred. Was on the green after a driver and 5 iron to leave me 20 feet for an eagle on 5, tried to play a lag and left a 6 footer which I caught the lip of the hole and walked off with a par that felt like a very poor hole. Scratched 6 and had another missed birdie putt on 9 after a drive that was only just short of the green.

Ball striking continued to be good for the most part with far too many putts burning edges. 10 was a good hole, again on for two after a very good drive and still no birdie. I kept grinding with 27 points after 14, was feeling good having hit a very good drive and approach to 14, another missed birdie chance but a decent par.

15 is where is all went wrong, waited several minutes for the green to clear as it was drivable, but hooked right into the trees. Assumed it would be findable, but hit a provisional. Didn't find the first and had to hack the provisional out, but ended up scratching. That was to be the end of my day effectively, as I had too many poor shots combined with poor decision making on 16-18 scratching them all.

Overall a disappointing day in golf terms but had a great day on the course in terms of company. Played with bakerbhoy, ballyk and pakman all of whom played very well and were a pleasure to go around with. Some very impressive golf shots played by some very good golfers.

The highlight for me personally was Pakman on the 10th. Drive pulled right into trees but found it, he warned us to watch out as he was going to try something mad and he didn't know where the ball was going. A fabulous shot hit through a gap he spied in the trees, over the bunker and rolled up onto the green. Shot of the day from what I saw!

Onwards and upwards to the jug, my aim for the year was to play more than the minimum 5 events and to be competing for a spot, so delighted to have made it on and can't wait to play my first matchplay event.

Thanks to RR and the fantastic team of volunteers that make everything happen and best of luck to Alanm for the coming year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭paulos53

First of all I would like to thank captain RoadRunner for allowing me to join in on Saturday as a visitor.  Secondly, congratulations to SeveOB and BallyK on winning the big prizes.

It was good to catch up with some old faces and even better to see how many new golfers had joined the society since my last game 3 years ago. 

I arrived early enough to watch some of 1 iron challenge and I was surprised at how many great strikes were hit with such a difficult club. Knowing the quality of golfers in the group, I really shouldn't have been surprised.

Having said that, there were 1 or 2 attempts that I probably would have beat as a lefty using a right handed club!

Onto the round itself; I was paired with ssbob who is one of the original members of the society and Jimmy Bottlehead, one of the newest members. ssbob was crushing his drives and really should have been 5 or 6 shots better, with a few untidy shots costing him. It was a day to forget for Jimmy Bottlehead but I am confident that he was a few shots better than the score he posted in his own report. Another bug for Golfgraffix to fix 😄

My own game wasn't great on the day and I scraped together a score of 30 pts. I pulled a lot of drives on the front 9 and I also struggled with the pace of the greens on the longer putts. The company, the setting and the weather made it an enjoyable day and made up for some poor golf. Hopefully it won't be another 3 years until my next appearance.

Finally, best of luck to the Ryder Jug team and Alanm in his year as captain.

Here is the full results from Saturday

What an absolute blast we've had here in Killarney, and I can't thank each and every one of you enough for being a part of this unforgettable year.

First things first, let's talk about Killarney Golf and Fishing Club – is this place even real? It's like playing golf on a postcard sent from paradise. The lush greens, those opening holes on the Kileen course that play with the lake and make your heart skip a beat, and the sheer beauty of the closing stretch on Mahonys. It's like golfing in a dream.

To the fun round on Friday on the Kileen that kicked off our adventure.. sure, we had a little rain, but the sun showed up for the encore and the fun we had! As the sun set and the clubhouse turned into the hub of laughter and good times, I found myself caught up in the moment. Afterward I hung around for a few moments to speak to some locals and I was last back to my car parked beside the lake, and then as I left the clubhouse walking to my car in the darkness, the sky burst with fireworks, thanks to the wedding at our hotel just a kilometre off down the lake shore. A wedding that would later be crashed. Unfortunately the bride herself destroyed all our good society members with some serious putting skills on an improvised indoor green. But it was still fun if not slightly embarrassing.

Bright and early Sat morning, for the Trevino Touch, our 1-iron challenge, which started the day with sunshine and energy. Kudos to everyone for jumping into my wild idea, because that's what it's all about. 

On to the counting round. And speaking of jumping, Token56 jumped out of the gates and was driving those balls like a machine. Only a lost ball (of course, the only missed fairway on the day!) cost him the win. Fix, your game was on fire, except for a few greens that just didn't cooperate. But great form over the course of the whole weekend was a wonder to behold. Tigerwood1 , you roared in with a strong start, even if the back nine tried to tame you. As for me, well, A little stressed to start the round, my game probably needed a caffeine shot in those opening holes, but I eventually found my groove to finish 5th on the day with some good golf played all weekend. Definite good signs for the Jug all around.

And then, speeches and prizes, not my forté, but some wonderful words from some other society members hopefully covered for me a little.

Seve, I hope you've got strong arms, because that haul you walked away with is not light! A huge congrats to SeveOB for stealing the golfing spotlight, and BallyK, snagging the GOTY under cover of controversy – a tiebreaker for the ages and legal documents hundreds of years in the future may likely reference that moment!

A final showdown was a lowest gross playoff, a chip-off with the mighty 1-iron. An "argument" between some members not willing to accept long time golfing norms (ie tied results going back to best back 9, back 6 etc) caused this, but the evening was better for it. 3 incredible chips with the final struck by the very quite Alanm, recently announced by as next years captain nearly seeing the bottom of the cup and deciding the fate of the last bottle of whiskey in his favour. It's fitting that the final strike of a ball under my captaincy was struck perfectly true by next year's captain with the precision of the most incredible golfing savant who will take the society to new heights next year. As the sun set on the putting green and on my captaincy, I'm beyond thrilled to close out my year in style and hand over control to next years captain.

I'd like to again thank last years excellent Captain, Fix for handing over to me for the year, and for having faith in me to put my own strange spin on things. Everything I did may not have always lived up to his high benchmark set last year which, lets face it, was always going to be a hard act to follow, but he was there for me the whole time! Special mentions to Seve for everything he does, which is a lot. Even if he never hit a ball at Killarney he still deserves the biggest prize! Golfgraffix, particularly supports the society in everyway possible. If you liked my course rota for year, that's really down to him. Hats off to Spacecoyote for being the timeless voice of reason, and a big round of applause for Benny79, basically the yin to Spacecoyote's yang. They complete each other in the most gloriously opposite ways with each still somehow scoring top marks on the craic-o-meter. High on the craic-o-meter reside each of the other ex-captains of the committee.

So, here's to our fabulous winners, the stunning scenery, the epic shots, and all the laughs in between.

Congratulation to the Winners in Killarney:

1st) Seve OB

2nd) token56

3rd) Concerned2

4th) slave1

BallyK for GOTY

LD GolfGraffix

NTP CharlieIRL to 7ft (and then missed the putt which would have been the only 2!)

The 1-iron challenge was won by SeveOb, with AlanM and GolfGraffix coming in 2nd and 3rd. (Concerned2, Bobster453, Kiith were also very close, with PostPunk and Bakerbhoy next in line)

The final challenge remaining is taking back the Jug which will take place at Headford new on the 14th of October. I've announced myself and Fix as the captains picks for this year and there'll be a new thread for this event in due course.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Absolutely deadly weekend away, I really enjoyed the whole thing. The first round on Friday was a bit of a challenge as the rain set in but we stuck with it and finished, all of us soaked through. The course did get nice and quick as everyone else with good sense gave up. I didn't play well enough to appreciate the course truly but it was a fun round regardless

The second day was a completely different story. Weather was glorious from the outset and a bit of confidence building from the range had me hitting the ball well. I was in great final-group company with ballyk, bakerbhoy and VW1. The mood was all very convivial as we secretly hoped for lip outs and duffed bunker shots 😁. We all played solid golf up until the last few holes where myself and VW1 came a little undone. Both ballyk and bakerbhoy seemed immune to bad holes and even the occasional shout of 'oh no!' was followed up with a good recovery shot. VW1 was hitting it a mile as usual with his driver and made a show of the first par 5 with a green in 2. 

I was going well up until the last three in particular where I went in the ditch on the 16th but managed to take a drop and not scratch it. Then after fearing a pull all day, I pushed two balls out to the right on 17th. Managed to find the second miraculously and hit a PW in from 135yrd and made a two putt to salvage a point. The 18th is where the range confidence disappeared and I pulled my shot into the bushes on the left. Some 'helpful' visitors to the hotel pointed it out under a bush, blocked out completely from even an attempted save. That was me done for the comp but happy that I had a good day of ball striking for the most part. Highlights were the 40+ foot putt for birdie on the first par 5 and probably my best ever rescue shot, where I had to intentionally slice a 9 iron 140 yrds through a group of trees, over another bunch of trees guarding the green, and land it over the bunker, with only enough room for a half backswing. Couldn't do it again with 100 balls.

The golf took second place though to the nights out. Whether the first night with the wedding party being dragged into our putting comp, or the second night at the live-music cattle mart, followed up by a putting comp outside the hotel, both were really good craic. Looking forward to the Jug now, if a little wary off my lowest handicap ever, and also to next years events under our new captain, where we will need to follow up on this years inevitable win and retain the Jug.

This find from Killarney has a new home in Tramore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I was really glad when A Post Punk reached out to me a few weeks back to let me know there were some slots for Captains Day, having been a regular BGS member for a number of years followed by some years in exile and the odd round as a guest here and there it was great to get back amongst familiar faces and new faces in a stunning setting that is Killarney. (Thanks to GG and RR for facilitating my guest appearance)

It is amazing to see what the Society has blossomed into without getting too far away from it's roots - I explained this to Jimmy Bottlehead when he was getting frustrated at his game at one point during our round Saturday - BGS is always about like minded people who have a obssesive interest in the game if golf but have varying abilities - whether that's starting out or whether that's low handicappers of which there are a few in the society. I have always found the society members will always tolerate all abilities both on and off the course. AlanM detailed most of the off course abilities in his post 😉

So to the golf, having had a busy morning I just about made it in time to apply some sun protection, wash my hands and head straight to the first tee without a practice putt similar to Fixed. I wasn't feeling very confident given I struggled to get off the tee just 2 days previously and anybody who has played with me before knows that my game is in my long game - not my short game. I was thankful to meet a familiar face on the first tee in Paulos (Last time we played together was in the Ryder Jug quite a few years ago - we won of course) and a new face in Jimmy - we all got our tee shots away, Paulos and Jimmy over to the right rough a long way back and me striped down the middle 110 yds left to the pin. In true Paulos fashion he managed to put his ball on the green, and I missed the green short..... double bogey on 1 to start the day😁 This was generally how the front 9 holes went, me outdriving my playing partners, Paulos invariably getting it up around the green and getting up and down more often than not and me doing my usual wasting shots around the greens... Jimmy's game is in there, he needs to use the big frame he has and get that body turning, I have no doubt he'll start tumbling down soon if he sticks at it, some small focus on the fundamentals i.e. alignment will get that 13 points (not 10 points) up significantly.

Back 9 went a lot better for me however I wasted shots on 15,16 and 17 after 3 great drives - 15 I was between the bunker on the front left and the green with my drive, hit a terrible chip and then another chip and 2 putts for a 5 on a certain birdie hole after my drive, on 16 hit a great drive but was down the right 220 left to the pin downhill, made for my 3 hybrid and pulled it way left, was lucky to find out but after chipping out sideways from the trees I took another 4 to get it into the hole, a 7 on what should have been a guaranteed par after where I was. On 17 I hit a great drive down the left side of the fairway - 85 yards left to the flag with wind off the right, same as the first came up way short of the green, putted rather than chipped but putted through the green and then took another 3 to get down - so wasteful.... having not been able to break 90 this year, I finished with 95 and those 3 holes alone cost me it on Saturday and cost me a score close to Seve's... so all in all was very happy with how I played in that the game is there and it hasn't fully deserted me yet!

Congrats to the winner Seve on a fine score, I have played with Seve a few times and his game is a lot better than his handicap suggests, not surprising at all to see him up there. Congrats to BallyK also on GOTY and apologies to both that I wasn't able to hang around until ye were in, was trying to balance the books with the missus but also a little jealous of the motely crew that is BGS hitting the town of Killarney that evening...

Well done to RR on a successful captaincy, apologies I didn't see much of it however I am looking forward to playing some more next year with AlanM at the help - I played with AlanM in Nenagh last year I believe and think he will do a fine job as captain.

The difference in the 2 days on the 2 different courses.

Good evening all,

What a fantastic weekend in a spectacular and picturesque part of this little gem of a country of ours. First and foremost a massive congratulations and well done to captain Roadrunner on a very well run year in the society, you were a gentleman to deal with, you brought in new ideas and challenges to the outings and everything rang so smoothly. A huge word of praise goes to the background pillars of this society who without them this group would be like every other golf society, but these individuals supporting the captain make this group stand out head and shoulders above anybody else. Thank you one and all for the craic, the camaraderie, and great golf. Wishing the incoming captain alanm the very best of success for 2024.

Congratulations to the winners of the competition on Saturday, @Seve OB , a brilliant score to win the day along with past captains, and a bomb of a 1 iron. I played alongside Seve on Friday on the killeens course along with @Break80 and @Jimmy Bottlehead . I could see there was a finish on the Saturday from Seve as he was hitting really well on the Friday, and his game went up a level on the back 9, now I know why, the refreshing cold one for the 10th 🤣🤣🤣. The rain on the 10th didn't put us off even if we had shite umbrellas but we ploughed on. It was my first time playing with Seve as it was also playing with Jimmy Bottlehead. Great company and chats throughout the round. I needed to pick up my game for Saturday as I was disappointed with my score of 26 and under estimating my yardages again.

After some late sustenance, the end of the pot from the kitchen 😋, it was back to the hotel for great craic, a quiz on the captain, the putting contest, and gatecrashing a wedding after the bride and groom were nearly the best putters 🤣🤣🤣 and they invited us in to dance 🤣🤣🤣. This was a great pre-cursor that Saturday was going to be even better.

No hairy head for Saturday morning, a good breakfast and early jaunt to the academy, I was very happy with my practice session and warm up. Even with my 3 shots with the 1 iron, I connected sweetly on each only to find later on that my distances were the same as if I returned tennis serves with a racquet made of a 70 year old bodrán skin. But, I was feeling good going on to the tee, needed a high 30 to have any chance of a top 10 for jug. I was in the group with @bobsterbobster and benny79, who I played with before and great to be paired up with, and for the first time playing with one of the aforementioned pillars of the society, @Golfgraffix . Watching golfgraffix off the tee and around the greens was something else, a lovely golfer and I could have taken some pointers from him and it could have given my game a much needed kick in the hole. He hit bombs with driver and deservedly came in first for longest drive. My under-estimations of my yardages came into play yet again and my putting killed me, I must have had 6,7,8 lip outs, leaving 1 pointers on the card. When I went way right on 17 and snuffed, and 2 putted on 18, my gif of Homers "goodbye trophy" came rushihg back into my head, a disappointing 31. There's a lot I need to go back to the drawing board for next year. I'll need to set out my golf goals for '24 and hone in on them.

Bobster played really steady and made the shots and putts count, this was his 5th scoring event and congrats on making it to the jug team sir. Benny79 had a better score in him on Saturday too, there were a couple of shots that let him down too, but all in all, I really enjoyed both days golf on two fantastic courses in a beautiful place.

Congratulations also go to @ballyk on your win as Golfer of the year, great golf played over the year, but even more exciting that 2 golfers, both he and Seve finished on the same score. Never happened before in the society. Congratulations also to all other golfers on your placings, Slave1, token56, and Seve. Long drive as mentioned and ntp to went to charlieirl.

So after all the speeches and prizes, a huge congratulations went to our new captain alanm who won a playoff for best gross with a shrewd display of accuracy on a long putt challenge with the 1iron 😲😲😲 I mean this guy could win a long drive with a shovel ala Tin Cup.

So that concludes my summary of what was a fantastic 2 days of golf on 2 great courses. A huge congratulations again to captain Roadrunner and the committee for a very successful year.

The night out in Killarney was mighty craic, where else can you have a quiet chat, record a podcast, have a sing along, and miss out on your 3am pizza 😂.

Enough said, best of luck to BGS in the jug, and roll on 2024

Plantbased20

Post edited by Snackbox20 on

Where did you find that, 17? I was playing them on the day, think that was only hole I lost one

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Drama in the Kingdom

A great year for Boards Golf Society concluded in the Kingdom of Kerry last weekend, when we had the pleasure of visiting the golfing wonderland that is Killarney Golf and Country Club. There can hardly be a more fitting venue as the scenery is beautiful with the mountains and the lakes making a spectacular vista while the two golf courses are a great test of golf. I chose Killarney for my Captain's Prize so I was delighted we had another opportunity to visit there courtesy of RoadRunner for his showcase event.

Unfortunately I had to work on Friday so I was unable to participate in the warm up on the Killeen course on Friday but it was great to see so many members taking part in the warm up on the Irish Open course, even if the weather dropped a nasty surprise with some heavy rain for part of the round. The shenanigans afterwards with a bride in her wedding dress taking part in a putting challenge with some members of the society encapsulates all the positives of the Boards Golf Society - people enjoying the craic together and outsiders engaging with the members because they're relaxed and up for a chat.

I arrived on Saturday just as the 1 iron challenge was coming to a conclusion. What a brilliant idea from @RoadRunner and a few members of the Committee. Captain's Day is a huge event so it was very fitting to have a fun event like this to start the day off. As @FixdePitchmark said, the driving range is phenomenal, with multiple chipping areas, a full range, a pitching area, putting greens etc. What you wouldn't give for a facility like that on your doorstep!

I had the pleasure of being in the last group with @bakerbhoy, @VW 1 and @pakman. This was only the second time I'd managed to earn my way into the last group and as leader in GOTY I knew what was at stake. Despite my efforts to keep the nerves at bay, they were visible on the 1st hole as I hit a short drive onto the fairway and then proceeded to hit a poor iron shot, before chipping onto the green. A 3 putt saw me finish with double bogey and an inauspicious start! Was it going to be one of those days? Fortunately my drive on 2 finished between the 2 bunkers and a rescue club onto the green left me with a relatively short birdie putt which I rolled in to give the scorecard a healthier look, thanks to the 4 pointer.

My driving was a bit off for most of the day, but luckily my short game was in good shape and I managed to get up and down from bunkers and around the green a few times to keep the scorecard ticking over.

There was very little to choose between all 4 of us for much of the round, in terms of our scores. Bakerbhoy had a slow start but showed his class as the round progressed. I hadn't played with VW1 before, but he hit some great drives at times and made some good pars. Unfortunately for him though he had a few scratches that hurt him, especially towards the end of the round which meant his score didn't reflect his actual talent and ability. I've played with pakman a few times in the society but since he got his new clubs his game has moved onto a different level. Outside of the miracle shot from the trees that has already been mentioned he hit some great drives and most of his irons were dialled in and heading towards the flag.

Bakerbhoy was keeping us updated on the scores through the ClubNet live scoring and we could all see that there were some good scores being brought in by the likes of @token56 so every shot was going to be important.

The last 3 holes at Mahony's Point are great finishing holes and a few of us were listing a bit in the water at that stage. I hit a good drive down the right hand side while the others in the group were down the left. I hit a 5 wood over the stream to about 20-30 yards short of the green while Bakerbhoy was just a little bit behind me. Pakman's ball unfortunately found the stream while VW1's ball attempted lay-up ended up in an unplayable lie on the right hand side. pakman rescued a point while myself and bakerbhoy made pars, that par was crucial for me in the end while VW1 unfortunately scratched the hole. After seeing a number of my partners go into the hazard on the right on 17, I decided to play safe by going up the left hand side, but ended up having to chip out sideways and ended up making a poor double. Was I about to throw this all away?

So on we proceeded to 18 and the fantastic par 3 finishing hole. I hit a poor tee shot to the right but luckily it was dry while Bakerbhoy hit a couple in the water. VW1 hit his in the hazard too but it was playable while pakman's drive went left towards the bushes. I hit a nice chip to the fringe between the bunker and the green and almost managed to hole an unlikely par putt, but happily took the bogey as I was the only one of us to score on the hole.

After doing the needful we proceeded into the clubhouse for much needed sustenance following a very warm round, which was lovely to experience given how bad the weather had been in July. Mahony's Point was a great choice for the Captain's Prize as it is playable for most handicaps, but demands good shots and putting to get a score. The fairways were in great condition, especially given the rain that fell on Friday.

I was delighted to see @Seve OB take down the Captain's Prize as he was pipped at the post for my Captain's Prize on the Killeen Course a few years back. He looked like he meant business going round in the group ahead of us and he delivered the goods when the pressure was at its greatest which is a testament to both his golfing ability and his mental focus. Society stalwarts @charlieIRL took nearest the pin and @Golfgraffix took longest drive. Without all 3 of these guys the society wouldn't be as successful as it currently is so it was gratifying to see them take those prizes. A special word to token56 who I had the pleasure of playing with in a number of rounds this year. He is a fantastic golfer and a huge loss from the Jug team, but a well deserved second place in the Captain's Prize was his.

As the Captain proceeded with the prizegiving, my Garmin watch told me my stress levels had increased. With SeveOB having won the big prize, my mind began to race, wondering had I managed to hold on for the GOTY award that I had coveted since I first got involved with the society over a decade ago. Little did I realise but myself and SeveOB had finished level on points after a long season! Move over the FedEx Cup and the Race to Dubai - they had nothing like the drama on the BGS GOTY battle! The Captain and the Committee members found themselves in the very unenviable position of having to decide how the tie would be broken. I was ecstatic to have won but my heart goes out to SeveOB who played great golf all year. Not only that but he's a top class guy whose commitment to Boards Golf Society has been exemplary since he got involved. I had the pleasure of playing with him on his very first outing with the society in Portarlington a few years ago. His work in setting up new members, monitoring handicaps for all members, updating the spreadsheet with all the scores is just a subset of the work he does for the society and huge credit goes to him for everything he does for us. He can never be repaid for all his work and if I was to lose GOTY to anyone I would have wanted it to be him.

After the prizegiving it was onto the Castlerosse Hotel and then into Killarney town for the celebrations, post mortems etc. Who would have thought that we'd be recording a podcast in the pub afterwards hosted by the one and only FixdePitchmark. Great craic and a highlight of the weekend for sure! Somebody tell No Laying Up that there's a new contender in the golf podcast market and their crown is in danger of being usurped!!

Thanks to Captain extraordinaire RoadRunner for the fantastic prizes. He even drove all the way to Newry to purchase some of the prizes for the weekend, which really is going above and beyond the call of duty. He was a wonderful choice of Captain and delivered a great year that I'm sure all members thoroughly enjoyed. He came up with some great ideas and he and the other recent captains have been instrumental in pushing the society to levels I don't think anyone could have envisaged when the society was setup. It was also a lovely idea to invite some former members along as guests on the day and I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to catch up with them, but hopefully we'll see them again at an event in 2024.

Thanks to Golfgraffix for his longstanding support for and sponsorship of the society and the use of his technology has revolutionised the running of BGS. If any of us know a club or society that would benefit from his offering, get in touch with him.

Best wishes to our incoming captain Alanm who will do a wonderful job and is a fitting choice for the role.

Finally, those of us lucky enough to qualify for the Jug team have a job to do in trying to reclaim the Ryder Jug from the REPS society. Let's give it our all as winning it back would be a perfect tribute to the growth our society has enjoyed over the last few years. There are many people who just missed out on qualifying for the team who would give their right arms to be in our positions in October so let's do it for us and them. Carpe diem!

ballyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Is there any link to this aforementioned podcast 🙄

Epic Post @ballyk, really good stuff and some very kind words, thank you very much. I do love this society though, not just for the golf, but the new courses, the new faces, the trips away, the friends I have made, the craic, the high and the lows and much much more. Someone has to do the grunt work so it gives me great pleasure to help out where I can.

If I may just point out 1 anomaly in your post though 😁. The year you were captain I was not pipped to the post for the main prize. It is probably fairer to say that yes I really should have won the captains prize that day as I essentially had it in the bag after 13 holes, but I closed out the last 5 holes with a paltry 3 points to leave me well down the leader board and licking my wounds. I was however (as a result of not closing out the round that day with 4 points instead of 3) pipped at the post to the Golfer of the Year. You did remember that though in your lovely speech on Saturday evening as you rubbed salt into my wounds 😂🤣

Hearty congrats to you my friend for picking up the golfer of the year. I actually thought you had won it before so I'm delighted you got to put your name on it and add the victory to your golfing CV. As I mentioned to your good self afterwards, you are now the only person who has their name on the Captains prize trophy... who never actually won the trophy and got to bring it home for the mantle! Change that next year fella.

Busy here now, so I'll post later on about my own round and weekend.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

What Can I say from happiness to sadness in a blink of a eye as another BGS season comes to an end! I look forward to the Captains weekend every year but it also saddens me as its the BGS seasons close and it also reminds me that the summer is coming to a end (what summer!) and the qualifying season is nearly over.. Life certainly comes at you fast!

But what a weekend! Its been a tough year for me with a lot going on with family life so I haven't got as much competition in as I would have liked. but typically I have been playing the best golf, striking wise in years! 🙄

My trip started off on the Friday as I had the pleasure of fixdepitchmark chauffeuring me down. As the laughs and the chats where had all the way down unfortunately none which can be decussed here 😂 Fix is like my golf mentor, guru and coach all in one! 😂 I know if I played with him every single week I'd be a single figure golfer!

I got off to a flyer Friday having turned with 18 pts how I dont know as I was really struggling with my Irons which had being brilliant up until the weekend but with a stag, 2 weddings & then the BGS Captains not much golf was had in August and on top of that I have a frozen shoulder or trapped nerve that has been bothering me the last few weeks.. but then the heavens opened! My god what a down pour I like to thank my playing partners Doublecross, Pakman & Bakerbhoy as I for one wanted to walk in 🤫😂

Onto the main event! I was mad to hit the range and sort out my irons and seem to be hitting them well but I think the hard mats were doing more harm then good to my shoulder and I just didn't feel comfortable. Think I could of came last in the 1 iron challenge! 😂 I was currently lying 12th in GOTY. So I knew I needed a good round to make the team. My playing partners on the day were snackbox, bobster and GolfGriffixs all who I know and have played with before! Golfgriffixs I have played with a lot as he has become a good friend over the years but my god his game is night & day since the last time I played with him! The distance and precision he was hitting his clubs was a joy to watch! not surprised he won LD! Still cant believe he hit 7 iron on 18 and ran through the green 180 yds! 😱 His transformation in his game at 40 😉 gives me hope! Bobster scratched the first 2 or 3 but put a dog fight in to fight all the way to 18 for the money very impressive! even though he came up short. Snackbox like myself just wasn't happening the amount of putts that shaved the hole was criminal. I was disappointed in my own game especially since my irons deserted me on the big stage! But this is golf and I'm more positive these days. That right Fix 😉 Plus I won my bet with Tiger and took a few fivers over the weekend 😎

Thanks to Roadrunner for a great year and weekend away! from doing shots with the Bride & Groom 😂 to dancing in some cattle market, to a putting contest at 3 am in the pitch black on some green to Tiger running out of the darkness as happy as can be roaring and laughing it was a joy to behold 😂

Congrats To Seve on the win after all the stick he got the night before he lived up to the hype! and BallyK the silent assassin I feel I haven't seen you all year yet you pop up to win the GOTY well played sir 👏

Special mention to are incoming Captain Alanm. You won everything in my year as Captain. Although I hate the same person winning everything I am hoping to return the favour next year! 😉 with the help of my new coach and golf Guru 😁 💪

The Jug team bring it home boys!

Until we meet again on the fairways...

B

Post edited by benny79 on

Sitting proudly on the beach waiting to be played.

Reloaded off the tee, should have gone down for a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

What a fantastic end to the season a fitting tribute to all the hard work put in by the Captain and the committee.

Many golf clubs could learn a lot from you all on how to organise and run a club.

It has all been said already but let me reiterate how very much aporeciated all the effort is by us mere mortals.

Congratulations Captain on a brilliant year..all it needs now is the Jug back home.

Had the absolute pleasure of playing with Golfgraffix Benny and Snackbox,3 genuine golfers who always give their all and know the value of having a laugh..especially when things are going astray.

I arrived knowing every point counted as sitting in 11th place after Bunclody I needed to minimise errors and proceeded to scratch the first 2 holes.

Had to zone in and manged 15 on the next 7 holes a few 1 pointers and scratch on the last left me only able to bring in 17 on the back nine.

While the scenery and course looked great I found the greens very slow and hairy.Indeed some were cut against the grain which didnt help.I love fast greens..hopefully Headfort will be that way.

I never hook my drives but managed it 4 times on saturday which made my task harder..however an hour at the range sunday and forensically looking at the picture taken of me by spacecoyote sorted me out.Thanks Space.

Overall happy with the game..approach shots and pitching worked well,the putting I am not bothered about as managed to bring in 36 pts sunday at home with only 28 putts so happy there.

The craic as always was unreal afterwards and the suspense for all involved in either the prizes or the Jug team was palpable.

Congratulations to Seve on a fantastic win..nearly a clean sweep..and to Ballyk on GOY.

Best wishes to alanm for next year.I need to organise better and ensure i get the full weekend in next year as i was getting jealous reading all the posts and the craic that i missed.

Thanks to each and everyone of you for being a part of the best society ever and see the rest of the Jug team on the day...Win or die trying..leave nothing behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭a post punk

A bit late to the party but I always enjoy reading through the posts before giving my own feedback on what was an excellent boards golfing weekend for the history books !!

Started the Friday , had a nice and unusually handy spin taking an hour and a half only to get down so was in loads of time and had a good catch up before any ball was hit. The Killeen course has a spectacular start I think and especially when the back drop of the mountains are so clear above the lake. I wasn’t really bothered about how I played Friday just more enjoyed the craic with Kiith, tiger and concerned, we had a great laugh even when the rain came down as heavy as I’ve ever had to play in!!

It’s fair to say Kiith and Concerned we’re playing the steadiest of the group on Friday and that reflected into Saturdays round. I saw that famous tiger roar a few times on Friday but Alas he says he’s not playing his usual stuff theses days so no joy.

The clubhouse has to get a special mention it has a spectacular setting overlooking the finishing hole and surrounding landscape and it was like an oil painting when the sun set on both evenings.

Onto Friday night banter with your Host Benny and Fixed and you have to attend the weekend to get any info off of me 😏

Saturday morning a great start with that view again ( great choice of accomadation @RoadRunner ) nice early breakfast and at the range for 11am with a 1pm tee off!! I think I hit a few too many balls in the excitement but it gave me a good shot at the 1 iron challenge and was happy just to get it off the ground.

Over to the tee box for the big day and took a break in the shade for 20 minutes watching everyone teeing off , @bobster453 asked me what’s my score for the day and I said more than happy at 36points give me a great chance of jumping into the jug selection.

Played with @Alanm , @Break80 and @kev88 and was a great group on the day but definetly all the group had the game face on compared to Friday…… I knew all of us were giving it our best to go well.

I started great with a par and hit the bunker on the 2nd drive but still made a good 5, pulled my drive on the 3rd and had to punch out but still scraped a point, Hit a great tee shot on 4 to 5-6feet but missed the birdie. Flying with 10 points after 4 and after that my driver was really good all day but a few approaches and chip shots left me down to getting a better or winning score. Scratched hole 13 and 17 and on 17 I hit the driving range with my drive and proceeded to take 2 Chips to get out from the trees and made a complete disaster of approach shot running through into the red stakes! On the upside I hit a good 5 iron into the last to make par and a finish of 34 points ,2 off my target but a day if I was more dialled in I could have had a big number.

We’ll done to @Seve OB on a massive win and haul of prizes on the day and of course @ballyk for winning GOTY and bringing that trophy munsterside👌

massive thanks to @RoadRunner for a great year of outings and delighted to see @Alanm take on the captaincy for 2024 to some new places hopefully !!

As for my own goals for the year I was lucky enough to get a boards win and also joint 12th on the table for GOTY so not far off qualifying this year, definetly massive improvements in my game and more to come next year. Mabye even be a real contender for the big ones , dare I say it!!

see ye in the golfing year of 2024

PP

I think this photo perfectly sums up the weekend😎

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it's me. I made absolute sh1te of that hole

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Started writing this about 4 times now, but its been a mental week and only getting to post now.

What else can be said about the weekend that hasn't already been said above. Fantastic weekend away with the society, and some great golf to be had. Fair play to @RoadRunner for arranging a fantastic year of golf, and to the committee who will probably claim to have done all the real work 🤣

Friday started out really nice, and i birdied the 1st with a lovely 4i to the middle of the fairway, then a nice 9i and put for 4 points. Every birdie requires a scratch though, so the 2nd went about as well as expected after i pushed my drive into the trees. Played well enough until Tiger jinxed us by saying we might get through the day without any rain around the 5th/6th hole and the heavens open up. Struggled through some shockingly bad rain for 4 holes or so, with a few different (non-society) groups commenting that we were mental for staying out. Our group all thought they'd have closed the course, as there were huge puddles on the greens. To be fair, it drained fairly well once the rain stopped, and we finished out well enough and in decent time. Really nice chicken burger and a pint afterwards, and i headed home expecting a few people to have sore heads in the morning.

Saturday was a beautiful day, and we started off the with 1 iron challenge. Hit mine ok, but could have used a bit of a warm up, which was suggested to me but i duly ignored 😅After stocking up with water and suncream, started the round with Seve, Slave and spacecoyote, who i've had the pleasure of playing with in the past. Everyone bar Slave pulled their drives into the right, and not knowing what was there, we all hit provisionals, but thankfully all found the balls. I then of course scrathed the 2nd again, but got going after that. Driver was actually working well enough for a change, and used it well on a few holes. Think i should have been a bit more aggressive at times, but ended with 36 points which i was very happy with. Bogey on the 18th after pushing my 1st way right and under a bush, followed by a great up and down, was really nice. Seve was rock solid throughout, and really kept his head in what i'm sure was a nervous position going in. Very solid off the tee, and hit some really nice recovery shots. I do remember saying "Don't go in" for one of his cracking flop shots...think the jealousy escaped for a few moments 🤣 Deserved the win though. Spacecoyote had a good round, but a few loose shots really punished him, and his score made it look worse than it was. Always a pleasure to play with though. Slave1 was really solid throughout, but the ball just wouldn't drop for him on the greens. Any other day and he'd have easy hit 40 points. He still beat me on the back 9 though 😆

Back to the clubhouse for the presentations, and then the real fun began. 2 pints and headed straight into town for a proper session. Highlights included the pizza some English lads tried to take from our group, Piano Man sung very loudly, and the 2am putting competition. Cracking night out, and looking forward to next years already.

Delighted to make the Jug, as that was the goal from the start of the year, and finishing 5th overall after a very shaky start is something i wasn't expecting. Looking forward to taking the Reps down at Headfort in a months time, and already looking forward to next years gold. @Alanm is a great pick for captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Macker1

Some great reading there those of us unfortunate not to make it down to what is always a great weekend away. Congrats to all the winners and a special thanks for Roadrunner and the commitee for all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

Now get the job done in October and regain the Ryder Jug

Also congratulations and best of luck to AlanM for for next years Captaincy.

That makes 2 of us I hit a great drive and had 205 yards to the pin , I had been hitting my woods good all day so I said here goes …… over the stream onto the road into the car park 😂😂😂😂you just have to laugh sometimes!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I had a football match here at home and then traveled down to Killarney late Friday night with the plan to have a beer or two and head to bed early, ha that worked out well!! The crack with the lads in the hotel was brilliant from the word go, putting competitions and all.

With the way things have been going for me golf wise the last few weeks I wasn’t expecting much on Saturday, except a bit of compulsory banter!! Playing with concerned, boccy and weapon of grass destruction, first time out with any of the 3 lads and I must say, it was one of the most enjoyable rounds I’ve played this year even with my frustrations on the back 9.

I started off with a drive long right and ended up behind a staked tree, low chip out to front of the green and I got up and down for a par, a rarity for me this year. I followed this up with a decent drive on 2 to the left of the fairway bunker, nice approach to front of the green and I chipped it to about 2 foot, another par. Ok, going well. Pulled a tee shot left into the trees on the next resulting in having to chip out sideways and I followed that with a peach of a 9 iron from 120m and left it about 10foot from the pin on the flat part of the green. 2 putts and bogie saw me with 9 points after 3 holes!!!

Next par 3 I hit the right distance but off the green right pin high, got up and down again for another par,WTF?? 12 points after 4 holes

Great drive on 5 was followed up by a duffed 3 wood that went about 10 meters, took out my hybrid and put the ball in the middle of the green. Unfortunately my first 3 putt followed but happy with bogie.

Hit my drive right on 6 but found the fairway, I could see the green but decided to play safe and laid up left. Unfortunately I over hit my next and the ball landed between the protruding roots of the tree leaving me no shot. Just about got out and got away with a point. Topped my tee shot on the next and luckily my ball bounced out of the bush 48m from the tee - I got on to the middle of the green with my next shot and 2 putted for the luckiest bogie ever! Made a balls of 8 for my first scratch and topped my drive on 9. Hit a sweet hybrid to the middle of one of the hardest greens I ever hit a putt on. Two ridges and a slope and 2 putts later and I walk off with another par and 20 fantastic points.

On cloud 9 walking to 10th hole and then bang, my driver totally f’n deserted me big time. Next tee shots went 60 to 100m, uneven topped a tee shot on 12th par 3, shocking stuff. Tried the 3 wood, same thing, pure muck. Tried to remember all from my recent lesson with driver only and couldn’t do it, heartbreaking. My big problem coming into Saturday was the sh@%£s and I didn’t have one but I just couldn’t get the ball off the tee. 8 holes and 9 points later I stood on 18 not giving a heck anymore. We had a small wait so I was watching the wind and was thinking the only thing I could win was NTP. Took out a 6 iron and aimed outside the furthermost tree on the right, set up for a draw and let it rip!! Was probably the sweetest iron I’ve got in my lift. Of course I missed the damm putt but at least a nice par to finish my round.

6 x 3 putts and 11 bad tee shots really destroyed my round. Standing over my early iron shots, all the was going through my head was not to sh@&k it but they was replaced with what I can only describe as the yipps on the tee box. At the range, my driver is my best club but in the course, disaster. Need to get this sorted.

Congratulations to Steve ok his fantastic score and to BallyK for taking the years honours, two very very worthy winners.

Many thanks to Roadrunner for guiding our ship for the year, we can all agree he done a damm fantastic job. Well done. Same goes for the rest of the committee, massive thanks for everything ye do. Most players won’t get to see any of the hard work that you do before, during and after every single event.

To our incoming captain, the very best of luck and don’t worry, there’s a great group of us here to help you in every way.

To finish a great year will ye just go out and win back the jug, please?!!!

I’ll hopefully be celebrating my 4th county title win the same night, all going well, so won’t get up to cheer ye on. Brilliant team this year so get it done, ok?!!

I have visited Killarney many many times over the years and have been lucky enough to play both courses when I was a kid and again in my early 20's. But that was a long time ago and even having played Killeen in 2017 with the society I really didn't remember a lot. Its by far the superior of the 2 courses, but the biggest winner is the backdrop of Lough Leane and the McGillicuddy Reeks. As I said to @Kiith on Saturday, it's a place I would love to live for so many reasons, but a place I would probably find difficult to live in for so many other reasons!

With my family we had spent a week in a holiday home in the Castlerosse Hotel last year and I have stayed in the hotel itself a few times over the years so I knew it was a great location to stay at for the weekend and hence I cajoled the captain into choosing it. I think it worked out well as you can all tell from the stories above. Breakfast overlooking the lake and their own golf course was spectacular.

Well onto the golf. I was one of the 16 headcases who stayed out in the biblical rain on Friday last. Playing with @Jimmy Bottlehead and @Snackbox20 for the first time was a pleasure. @Break80 is a long time friend at this stage and he made up our fourball. I'm not really sure how the lads were scoring but I was doing ok till the rain hit. Well we were on the 10th and I was the last to hit just when it started to bucket and I let the club slip to put my ball well right of the green. We took a bit of shelter thinking it might pass. When it didn't we finished out the hole and then sheltered some more and allowed the group behind to go through. I have a pretty new and very expensive umbrella which decided last week that it would no longer stay up. That got to me as it was to hot to be sticking on extra clothing. Eventually when we realised that the rain wasn't stopping and we were probably half an hour into it now we teed up on the 11th. Surprisingly I got out of 10 & 11 with 2 points each to stand on the 12th tee with 22 points. But then everything started to get properly wet and clubs slipping and water everywhere got to me. 2 bogeys and a par over the last 7 holes was as good as I could do along with lots of muck, but a can of beer at the halfway house (oddly at the 14th green) was warmly welcomes as the rain had finally dissipated. So 31 points and now I see a PCC of 3 makes it look a bit better in my Golf Ireland record.

Funny story of the weekend was giving @Snackbox20 a rules lesson about casual water after observing him from a distance take his stand in the middle of the 11th fairway 2 inches deep in a puddle and doing well to slap his ball forward about 20 yards.

As @ballyk alluded to above, I had my chance to win the Captains in his year in Killarney but more so the Golfer of the year. Both which I made a mess of. Last year I also had a fantastic opportunity to pick up the Captains Prize in Mount Juliet (a place very special to me), but again I made a mess of the last 7 or 8 holes. So I was more determined than ever this year to give myself every chance. So after a Guinness fuelled August Bank Holiday weekend in Achill I made the decision to take a break from the booze and work on a bit of fitness. Not only was I working on my fitness but I also had a lesson and hit the range a few times which is not the usual for me. I'm normally terrible at practicing. It was all going well for a couple of weeks till the old man took a bad heart attack. He is on the road to recovery now thankfully but it took the wind out of my sails with lots of running around after him required and no time to keep up my keep fit routine... though it also meant that I'd no time for drinking either 😁 That beer on the 14th Friday afternoon was followed up by only a couple more Friday evening in the hotel but late to bed and not a great sleep at all was not good prep for the big day.

I do feel that I may have had an advantage with the 1 iron challenge as I'm one of very few people I know who carries a 3 iron in their bag. Indeed my last 2 sets I also had 2 irons, but I've never had a 1 iron. I was giving @RoadRunner a hand to get the challenge organised and looking to get a club for the challenge and when the old man was in hospital I had a route around his shed for his old 1 iron. I found a pretty antique one with a wooden shaft but I knew he had another Ping Eye one at one stage. So next time I was in the hospital with him I asked where it was. "In my golf bag, I use it" came the reply from the 74 year old 32 handicapper 😂 On Wednesday evening I figured I better make sure I have the R10 set up and working properly, so I threw up a net (which I had picked up for €25 on adverts months ago) for the first time in the back garden and went at it with the 3 iron. When I hit one 202 and only 4 yards left I threw a snap of it into the committee group and told them a shot like that might be enough to win on Saturday. @RoadRunner told me he fancied me for the challenge and I did also. After getting it all set up at the range, I took hold of @bakerbhoys selection of 1 & 2 irons and started whacking them to warm up, a crucial and decisive decision. Then I saw @Alanm hit three almost perfect shots. The guy is soooo good and consistent. He was a total of 7 yards off line with his 3 shots. Tour Player stuff is that. His best shot of the challenge was 201, 2 yards right. I said that's it, game over, there was nobody beating that. I was up next and my first one was not bad @ 194 12R but it was the second one I nailed @214 3L. I closed it out with 204 & 16R so 3 decent shots, but only 1 of them good enough which was thankfully all that was required.

Onto the main event and teeing it up in the penultimate group with @Kiith, @slave1 & @spacecoyote . 3 excellent golfers and good guys. I found myself lucky on the first to find my tee shot after pulling it left and secure 2 points but on the second hole I was lucky to get a point after finding the rock hard greenside bunker and making a mess of it. A really nice run of 5 pars followed, mixed with getting up and down 3 times and missing 2 great birdie chances. My putting is definitely the weakest part of my game. 37 putts on Friday was not great, but it was better than the usual for me of late. After pretty much hacking it up the 8th, I somehow managed a tap in bogey after playing my best chip of the day (which I very nearly holed for par). I again got lucky on the 9th when going at the green with the driver was probably not the clever play and I after hitting it into the trees on the right I walk up to find it had got through enough to give me a full swing with only 80 yards to the pin. Walking off with a regulation 2 putt par and another great up and down on the 10th for yet another par had me cruising. A respectable 5 on the index 1 11th after being green side in 2 was followed by a solid long range 2 putt par on the par 3 12th (even if I did get lucky after hitting a bad first putt which I got away with as I had clearly misread the break and pace). The 13th I just had an episode of brain farts after being beside par 5 green in 2 I was lucky to get a bogey. More brain farts on the 14th with a duffed chip and a pathetic 3 putt. I was starting to sink. I needed to cop on and although I pulled my tee shot on the short 15th, there was enough room there to leave me with a free shot at a tricky pin. Another solid 2 putt for par and I then played the 16th hole perfect with a drive, 4 iron and wedge into about 12 foot and another 2 putt par.

So I stand on the short enough 17th tee with 39 points on the card and a decision to make. Hit the driver which I have been reasonably good with or maybe a 3/4 iron to leave maybe a 9 or 8 into the green. Driver it had to be. It wasn't far off line, but the only hole where you couldn't be right and I hit it right. Ironically a bit further right and there was a beach and I might have had a chance of finding it, but it was in the gorse and the only option was a reload off the tee because a drop from the point of entry was not going to do me any favours. A good drive this time if a little left, but a weak approach shot left me a looonnngggg putt from off the front of the green and a really pathetic effort meant a typical @Seve OB 3 putt and scratch. The choice on 18 was 6 or 7 iron. A 6 might be needed to get to the Pin at the back of the green but it could have me out the back door. A 7 will have me comfortably in the middle for the green. That's unless I do exactly the opposite of what my recent golf lesson was teaching me and I don't hit down on the ball. 🙄 So yea I make connection with my hands way behind the ball and finish right of the green. Unlike my solid enough chip shots earlier in the round I do make exactly the same hands behind the ball connection as I did on the tee and the 14th hold chip and I barely get the ball on the green and leave myself a long putt which I race 10 foot past. Of course I miss the one back and walk off with a 5 and only 1 point for the last 2 holes thinking I had done it again, been in the winners enclosure and fallen and choked at the last hurdle.

I'm a traditionalist and despite the move in technology and our amazing sponsorship from @Golfgraffix I'm not a fan of live scoring. I think everyone's score should be kept secret until the results are read out, especially at Captains prize. I think it just adds to the suspense and excitement of the day. But it also IMO affects the way people will play their golf. We are not the European Tour with the leaders going out last and the early tee times having no chance of winning. Everyone has a chance on the day and early pace setters are at a disadvantage if the followers can see what scores they need to shoot and can Taylor their games accordingly. If I had of known the scores of others with 2 holes to play, I would most definitely have played the last 2 holes differently. I probably would have secured 4 points instead of 1. But I didn't and I went hard hunting for pars and even birdies because I didn't know if 44 was going to be the required number like it was last year.

So it wasn’t until we walked off the 18th when the lads showed me I was in second place on the live scoring but that I was actually leading due to a technicality. I paid no heed and it wasn’t until I was gathering the cards with the Captain and doing up the final scores in the computer that I knew I had just about crawled across the finish line. It is a great honour to win a boards outing and it’s very special to win @RoadRunner captains prize. Needless to say I’m delighted to win and even more delighted that despite my best efforts, I didn’t throw it away yet again 🤣

Many thanks to the 6 lads I played with over the weekend, as usual at a boards outing it’s the craic you have with your playing partners that makes it all the more enjoyable. Well done to all the other prize winners on the day and commiserations to @token56 on coming up short which sounded like a very good game well played. A very special thanks to @RoadRunner for the fantastic prizes but most of all, the hard work he has put into the society throughout the year. I know we have a solid group backing the captain up, but they are responsible for the heavy lifting and it’s very much appreciated so thanks again.

@Alanm is a fantastic choice as captain for next year. The best golfer in the society and a good friend at this stage so good luck with your year. Big boots to fill but no problem to you.

Lastly to the Golfer of the year. Congratulations to the top 10 for securing your places in a team which is even harder to get into than the European Ryder Cup. It’s probably one of the most coveted prizes of the boards year so it’s great to see so much determination in making the team. We will give the Reps a fine battle this year and I fully expect us to take the Jug home. As I mentioned above, I’m a traditionalist and enjoy only finding out the results as they are being read out. So as I knew I was in the hunt for golfer of the year, I processed the scores of the day with captain @RoadRunner but I didn’t really pay to much heed of who finished where and how many points they got. I already knew I pretty much had to finish in the top 3 to have any kind of a chance of winning the golfer of the year but I equally knew I really had to have a real chance. It all depended on other scores though as I was after all in 6th position. So after doing the scoring for the day, I ran the golfer of the year updates without looking at it and passed my laptop over to the Captain. So when he read the top 10 out in reverse order and we got down to the last 2 names I was on tenter hooks 🙏. Then we find out that it was tied 🤯. To be honest I wasn’t even sure who the other golfer could be at that moment. I played my first boards outing in Portarlington in 2013 with @ballyk and a nicer guy you will never meet. Whilst it was gut wrenching to loose out on a tie breaker, I was equally delighted that it was himself who claimed the title of golfer of the year. Congratulations @ballyk on a great season of golf, it was well deserved.

I think we will leave it there and won’t go into the minute detail of the 10+ pints of Guinness and Jamesons and cokes that were consumed in the bustling pubs of Killarney into the wee hours. Suffice it to say that a great bit of craic was had to finish off the season in style. See you all next year (or at the jug )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

Great post @Seve OB and congratulations again.

While I take your point re live scoring personally I think it adds rather than detracts from the drama and excitement of the day.

Maybe a straw poll of members on the day of Captains to decide would be the way to go.

It just seems a shame to not use the opportunity given to us courtesy of @Golfgraffix but again just my opinion.

Advertisement