Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Paris for Rwc games

• 27-08-2023 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Heading over for the opening game of the rwc.

Haven't been to Paris before, any advice on travel to the stadium & back as its a late kick off

Where to go for food &, drink after game, is it well set up outside stadium or mad queues

Any advice from previous travellers to games there appreciated

Comments

If I can piggyback, going to the SA game which kicks off in the middle of the night, any tips on things to do or see during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

A lot depends on where you're staying, and what your interests are.

Do you want to see the sights? Wanna mingle with other rugby fans? Wanna get blind drunk and get a hooker? Wanna try the best food on offer?

Paris is huge, and caters for all tourist types.

I'm staying in the Montmart area, and wanna mix some drinking, with nice, local restaurants. I've done most of the main sites before.

I used trip advisor to find restaurant recommendations, and supposedly, up by Moulin Rouge is great for drinking with rugby fans.

Getting to the stadium seems straightforward from this area. Just take a single metro. Metro runs until 12:30 I think, so covered when it comes to the matches

You can buy alcohol in the stadium, but be ware of the fan zones outside, as previously, the only sold non alcoholic beer. Not sure of the situation this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Thanks curious

Staying near that area as well, I would think good food & can do the beers on match day evening, in Thursday evenin back sat a.m

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

If you find Corcorans Irish pub on Boulevard de Clichy, I think thats the general area where Irish fans congregate.

There's another district, that one of the English papers recommended for drinks. Search for Eden Park Pub. That seems to be in the middle of that area.

I would also look into getting a 2 or 3 day day metro pass. Think you can order them online, and collect from the main stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If your drinking up by the moulin rouge keep your wits about you, its a great area but there are some shady characters around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is a restaurant near the moulin rouge called Bouillon pigalle.

great value traditional french food full of locals. Always a queue but it moves quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't bother getting to the stadium too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I can't give advice on the stadium, but here's my general advice on the city itself

First off, it's an amazing city, I'd highly recommend seeing the major landmarks even if they are a bit pricey. Going early can help with avoiding the queues

Also, if you're under 25 and hold an EU passport you can get a discount, or even free entry into some of the landmarks. We got into the L'Arc de Triomphe for free this way (about 14 years ago 😭)

Okay, now the slightly less good. It's a city and not some managed tourist resort, so it has the same safety concerns like any other big city. Stay in a group, don't go into any streets alone, watch out for scam artists and pickpockets

I don't know if Paris is any more dangerous than other cities, but pickpockets are everywhere. One might even say getting robbed on the RER is part of the experience. If anyone stops you to talk, then you should probably just keep moving

Don't keep any valuables in your bags, leave your important paperwork in the safe in the hotel (locked of course) and if carrying cash use a cash pouch or other secure storage

Okay, I hope I haven't put you off at this point. I've been to the city twice and never had trouble, but it's just important to take the precautions and you'll be fine

For getting around, use the metro wherever possible. It's an absolutely fantastic service and very reasonably priced.

One of the lines (the M3, I think) has these weird rubber wheels driving the train. If you get on it, brace yourself, the thing accelerates like an F1 car and I'm pretty sure the drivers have a game to see how many tourists they can throw off their feet

The metro can get pretty packed, so give yourself extra time to get to the stadium. You'll also want to be wary of the buskers who hop onto the trains to play some music and beg for cash. They range from full 3 piece bands who can be pretty good, to absolutely awful one man acts. Dunno if it's still a thing but luckily noise cancelling headphones are more available now

For food and drink, there's no end to excellent restaurants around the city, but be prepared to pay. If you're anywhere near the major landmarks then expect to spend a lot. Think Temple bar prices multiplied by two (or three, since the RWC is on)

You can usually find places away from the landmarks that are more reasonable in my experience

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit, and enjoy the trip!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Heading over to the SA game, gonna get pissed early and won't remember a thing, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Montmarte is a good place for accommodation. Fairly central, two metro lines as I remember and prices are much more reasonable than the very centre

Lots of restaurants and bars up there too.

edit: I see the OP is staying there, good choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

5th and 6th Arrondissements are my favourite… good bars, restaurants etc….very safe too. Lots of people about and well policed.

Pigalle, Clichy are areas traditionally less safe after dark, Montemarte is generally safe but a stones throw from Pigalle and Clichy…I’ve been around there during the day but I remember going to a gig at La Cigale near Place Pigalle…. It was ropey leaving…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The best way to get to the stadium from the Boulevard de Clichy area is the Metro from Place de Clichy to St Denis Porte de Paris. Its only about 7 stops. The stadium isn't far from that stop. Boulevard de Clichy is the spot to be drinking in. It's not unsafe, as others are suggesting. I have been there loads of times, day and night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive heard theres a good station and a "bad" station to access Stade De France from, any truth to this?

The RER station is a bit far away (15-20 min walk from recollection, but it's been a while) but whether you get that or the metro will just depend on where you are coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My recommendation is to be a bit careful about which stations you stop at on the metro in the evening and night. It might be better to go a longer way and stick to the main stations as you can end up being the only people in the metro station for 10-15 mins while the next train comes, and in some areas, you might end up alone with some dodgy characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have been in this cafe-bar-restaurant in Les Halles, in the city centre, I think it is associated with rugby.

Three course meal = 20 euro, unreal value, but the seats are packed together.

L'Express Bar, rue du Rouge

Would recommend Bugsy's. Was there last year. Steak & chips was €20.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d787215-Reviews-Bugsy_s-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It's nearly a full time job (striking) over there.

• Advertisement

It's one day before we take on Tonga, not two as in the article. i.e. the day everyone (including me) will be bloody well travelling.

And even if you were traveling on the saturday there would be knock on chaos from the prior day delays, because when the French controllers strike it means no over flights so its not just flights into France affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The French Government will want no hiccups during this World Cup, especially after the champions league final debacle, it is fair to assume that a compromise will be reached and strike averted.

indeed thats what has me hopeful the situation around stade de france specifically is going to be managed pretty smoothly. That being said rugby world cup and club football crowds are wildly different and while the police and not fans were responsible for the champions league problems id expect them to have very different management systems in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

What will entice the French government even more is the fact that the Olympics are there next year.

How cringey would it be for them if the RWC was marred by travel chaos less than a year out from an even bigger event.

The government maybe but the French workers couldn't give a fcuk about anyone else

I was in the Harp Bar on Thursday night in Boulevard de Clichy. Kronenberg was €7 and Guinness was €8. It was grand.

Was there food there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Any word on the potential Air Traffic Control strikes? Supposed to be flying that day..

• Advertisement

You wouldn't swing a cat in the Harp, not to mind your dinner.

Advertisement