Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Any idea who will take over his morning radio show?

What about an up and coming talent, such as Rex Ryan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

We are discussing his options. So far they have not arisen. I agree he should possibly wait. Butterskui suggested Today FM, and TBH that not a bad bet, I have listed to Dave without Dermo in the past when Dermo has been off and it does not really work, so if he see a fall in audience I think Today FM in Six months time may be the home of The Tubrity Show.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If taking bets I’ll bet against the two of ya 😀

I just don’t think Today FM is a natural home for Ryan - don’t ask me why as I can’t articulate it- I think it’s a branding thing or something - ok here’s my best articulation -Ryan in my view, actually represents all that was wrong with RTÉ - - a job for life with no fear of the gravy train breaking down- sat back and hung up his shoes a long time ago - he struggled on TV; his radio show was middle of the road at best - that’s not good enough for Today FM- those listeners are a bit more discerning and won’t tolerate that level of mediocrity - it’s why they switched channel in the first place

Who do they replace Dave with, do they give him a side kick? I will be interesting to see how well he does alone, and then who replaces him.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The production team that worked with Tubridy for all those years must feel like complete fools to have been taken in by the story of Tubridy's pay cuts. Perhaps anyone who would work with him the future would want to know exactly how much he is being paid.

That story about Gerry Ryan is interesting. I suppose that RTE was easily able to replace the Tubridy in a way that it could not replace Gerry Ryan.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Goes to show how powerful these so called ‘z-listers’ really are.

These scones know that people like Tubridy give them airtime and they will do anything to protect that outlet.

Look at the rubbish being churned out on Drivetime where puerile buffoons actively encourage their stupid input by

whoring their phone in number from the programme beginning.

Look at Duffy trying to hawk idiotic churns on the radio in an effort to stir up controversy…. Eg The Wolfe Tones.

These gloamers need to be taken down and hopefully Tubridys downfall is the first of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

Unfortunately there are too many turds in the toilet bowl full of hot air.

It will take a couple of flushes to send them on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Did Joe have anything say about the wolfiies triple filling their EP gig 😂

He was probably oohing and aahing about it. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

@Brian Scan I’m only seeing your reply in another poster’s post as I have you on ignore - as you (of course) know.

i didn’t claim I was the only man (or woman) in Ireland to realise the words rhymed. I was however the first to apply the “subsidy” monicker publicly to Mr. Tubridy. The reason I did so was that it was rather apt considering what I talked about for years regarding NKM/Tubridy/RTÉ etc.

This is why I said I coined the term.

Hope that clarifies for you.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Not particularly.

How do you know you were the first to apply the "Subsidy" monicker publicly?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I get what you're saying.

I also think that when you're with RTE, you probably look down on other stations. I could be wrong but I always had that feeling. I know PK made the move to Newstalk but the bitterness towards RTE is certainly emanating from him now. Especially considering that he was extremely highly paid and had a very high profile there for many years.

Tubridy will be very lucky to get work anywhere imo and should be thankful for it if it happens.

Best of luck to him if it does happen.

I think that Pat Kenny had reached RTE's retirement age and RTE didn't want to renew his contract. Dinny O'Brien's, at the time, Newstalk hired him. Bauer owns it and the other Communicorp stations.

With Bauer as owner, presenters will have to gain advertisers and listeners. That's why Bauer may be somewhat wary of hiring Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

Because Brian for years I was basically the only person (or one of a few) saying anything “negative” about the most honest and trusted man in Ireland, for which - and you’re I’m sure well aware of this fact - I was abused in the most vile ways by some people in some quarters. Even his most ardent public critics never ventured into hinting at payments or a dodgy financial relationship between NKM and RTE - which the subsidy monicker clearly does.

How do I know I was the first to use it publicly in print/online? I could ask you a similar question - show me evidence of someone using it before I did.

i’m not behind the Ryan Subsidy Twitter account btw but I do know who is. I gave them the “subsidy” suggestion when they asked for my opinion on other suggested names. They went with my suggestion.

It’s like when I created the first actual Live Line Buzzword Bingo Card and it was replicated by Joe.ie (or one of those sites) without accreditation.

Let’s be honest here, given our history, you won’t believe me no matter what I say. I’m not claiming coining the term “Ryan Subsidy” is a work of comedic genius, but I did coin it. And I have no reason to lie.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

IMO Bauer are buying up established radio stations, I don't believe they have any interest in growing the stations much more than where they currently are at. Bauer will look to these purchases much in the same way that Canwest looked to TV3, its all about advertising revenue, as long as they are making a profit they will hope to retain the current audience share. I doubt they will get a major name to replace Pat Kenny when he decides to retire, I'd say they might move matt cooper over to that time slot, with Gavin Reilly taking over on the Last Word.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Let’s be honest here, given our history, you won’t believe me no matter what I say."

It's not a matter of believing you or disbelieving you, I'm just amused that you need to point out that were the first to apply this name to Tubridy.

Anyway, I'm just being childish making fun of you for it and I apologize for that.

Yes, you’re absolutely right that it’s all about ad revenue.

They now have huge share of same, growth can only really come from further acquisitions or….let’s say increasing the cost of an ad slot on morning radio from X to X+1; and that’s the angle for Kelly/Tubs into Today FM, because he ain’t replacing PK. And like or loathe any of the parties involved even a disgraced Tubridy is a bigger name than either Dermot or Dave, or Dermot and Dave together. And a bigger name means you can - in theory - charge more.

I'm not sure that Bauer would want to risk hiring Tubridy given how he fared in with the BBC. Losing listeners and advertisers might be fine for a licence fee supported farce like RTE but real broadcasters have to worry about the bottom line. Advertising revenue would be the deciding factor. Cooper is generally quite good. He was an excellent editor of the Tribune. Reilly is a very good political reporter. There's probably enough talent within Bauer to replace Kenny in the long run but the audience figures might take a hit initially.

Regards...jmcc

To be fair he was an unknown in the UK. I wouldn’t read anything into that despite how much NK push it. The key point is ge wasn’t asked back, and that in itself tells you all you need to know about what the Beeb hierarchy thought of his performance.

He wouldn’t be that here. Even though a lot of people now see the bull💩 behind the manufactured brand, he clearly has some sort of following here….no matter how “misguided” they may be.

I would however argue they need to give it a bit of time and see what that following is made up of audience wise, as I’m sure it’ll morph a few more times before settling.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. But RTE may be forced to be more competitive as part of the bailout terms. That will make the competition for advertising more intense. I think that Bauer just purchased a major advertising agency so it may be an indication of its thinking.

I simply don't trust the JNLR methodology. Most people are passively exposed to radio shows rather than actively deciding to tune into them. That may well explain why the 09:00 slot didn't lose any significant numbers while Tubridy was off-air. The number of Tubridy fans would be much, much smaller than the number of people who would just listen to whatever is on the radio at that hour. It would not be surprising if Bauer did its own market research before making any decison about hiring Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gavan Riley. Lord help us. Amateur hour.

The standard of our young journalists and presenters isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Still waiting for the chance to fulfil his destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I somehow still believe that Tubridy will wind up on Today FM doing the 9:00 am slot. Recent comments from Pat Kenny, a Bauer Media employee have pushed me more towards that way of thinking. Although it's been said that Ian Dempsey is no fan of Tubridy, so if he does get that position the studio handover from Dempsey to Tubridy would be interesting...

Again, I'm thinking of an Alan Partridge type scenario.

Oh I’ve written extensively on the faults and inadequacies of the JNLR so no disagreement from me on that front. Put it this way, I’ve yet to meet anyone in media who would bet their house on their accuracy.

Also agree on them doing their own research…..but you can manipulate research to get the answer you want too.

i still think there’s little risk involved, and upside could be relatively good. And I’m not a Tuns fan so please don’t take this as an endorsement! I’m viewing this as objectively as I can. I’m not saying it will happen, just giving my reasons for understanding how they could come to such a decision should it come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

RYAN Tubridy's fans were all delighted after he returned to his passion project on social media. The former RTE star has a love for reading and frequently shares book recommendations with his fans over on Instagram.

The Dubliner had put his passion aside for some time, but he has now returned with a huge stack of books for a new series of book recommendations.

Sharing a quick reel to his Instagram, Ryan started off his small passion project with seven "cracking crime novels." The 50-year-old wrote on his post: "First in a series of book recommendations. Starting with some cracking crime novels. Lots more to come but try and support your local independent bookshop and never forget that library up the road! Enjoy."

So he looked up the crime section of the book selling charts. I don’t have Instagram, so couldn't watch the video, but he usually picks all the most popular titles. Must be time to start his big, huge, massive, ginormous podcast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ian Dempsey is a very affable, easygoing type, imo. A genuinely nice guy. I used to listen to him regularly at one time on a long daily commute. D'arcy's programme was next after his, but thankfully I could switch off by then.

He and D'arcy didn't get on, afaik. But there was no handover as such. I think his programme just finished with a cheery sign off and then D'arcy used to start whining his way into the day at 9.

So I don't think handover would be an issue. Where did that story come from re Dempsey and Tubridy? I know I saw it mentioned here previously.

He’d give an aspirin a headache.

I’ve said it many times, he’s not the voracious reader he claims to be. Regular listeners to his radio show can attest to the fact that Tubridy describes almost every thing as being either “bonkers”, “intriguing”, or “peculiar”. A relatively recent addition to his vocabulary was “delicious”…..as in “a delicious fire” (actual quote). Anyone who reads a fraction of what Tubridy claims to would have a wider vocabulary than he does. It’s simply part of the act and the manufactured brand. Intriguing.

Edit: typo correction.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Lots more to come but try and support your local independent bookshop.." - more of the same 'keep the mammies contingent happy" stuff along with his leaving cert speech. Designed purely to get a "oh isn't Ryan great thinking about the small business people now". Admirable for anyone else to remind people, but from RT it just spanks of formula.

As ButterSuki said above - "part of the act and the manufactured brand."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In the indo they report that Sharon Tobin is joining David McCullagh for 6pm news and Sharon Ní Bheoláin joining Ray Kennedy at 9pm. So both slots can continue to have 2 people instead of 1 reading the news ('cos real news channels do it that way'). Plenty of ways to save cash if they want to!

Speaking of which, Darragh McManus, author of above article, fondly remembers "the legendary Eileen Dunne and Anne Doyle" - but didn't they, along with Don Cockburn and others, manage to read the news all alone? 

I know I'm being cynical, but if RTE came out and said we're dialling back to 1 newsreader as our investigations have found that 1 person can read the news, I'd feel they were doing something practical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement