Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

'In the days when you were hopelessly poor, I just liked you more...'

You better believe it, Moz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I would have loved a lot more Smiths songs. He sounded great and the band sounded great, would have been the dream. But apart from that it was an excellent concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thought it was perfect tbh. Nice career spanning mix from the 80s right up until now. Thought My Hurling Days Are Done was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

The Morrissey gig was brilliant, great band and some good new songs, (his agressive/malignant vibe notwithstanding).

Pedantic note - The Smiths did Megamix (Irish TV show) in 1987.

It's easy to understand where the anger is coming from though, especially for artists who try to remain individuals, which artists should be and should be free to be. But, yeah, it's a bit too intense at times. Still, to control that and deliver such a show at 64 is pretty special. Never really was a fan of Morrissey post Smiths, but that was an excellent concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

yes he was really on blistering form, couldn't take your eyes off him, totally present

when he sang "give me a cigarette" and he managed to catch the cigarette that came flying from the audience and then used it as a prop, priceless

the cod Irish accent banter was hilarious too

I really liked the (relatively) new band lineup and to see him in that venue was special

Loved the end too. Jack the Ripper - Sweet and Tender Hooligan. Heavy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Saw them at Stendhal a couple of weekends ago. They were class.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Rufus Wainwright in th Concert Hall. Mixed bag but was worth it for Shenandoah alone. Great version.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Last night in Galway, the Chiefs from Kaiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AliceDLW

It was nice to meet you yesterday @Beasty@Beasty Your photos are great. Do you have any more that you could post, I'd love to see them?

So, The Walkmen next week in Vicar Street for the price of a few pints. I'm going and I only know a couple of their tunes. But, screw you Coldplay 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Finally got to Wembley Stadium and The Weeknd did not disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

First Aid Kit tonight in Collins Barracks.

Great show, superb sound.

Post edited by delbertgrady on

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

The Walkmen were excellent last night in Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Similar scenes in the Workmans tonight.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Would have loved to be there -on night shift unfortunately.

Be at Whores there Sept 6th all going to plan

AEW All In Wembley Stadium last Sunday. Great show

Next up Blink 182 in the 3Arena next Tuesday

Added Arctic Monkeys in the 3Arena on the 17th Oct due to Blink 182 posponing the upcoming Dublin show 😔

Next concert is Busted (with Hanson) on the 6th Oct

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Aephanemer in the Grand Social tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just been to the Cala Mijas Festival in Málaga this weekend.

The headliners were Arcade Fire (incredible, I've been a big fan for yours and had high hopes which thankfully were met), the Strokes (sound was off, Julian Casablancas didn't seem too bothered but the music was good) and Florence and the Machine (amazing show though I'm not so familiar with her stuff, great connection with the crowd). Other bands I saw were Metronomy (insane energy and sound, really enjoyable), Amyl and the Sniffers (reminded me of Motorhead, really loud and really fast) and Siouxsie (good sound and decent performer). Saw a few other Spanish bands, Lori Meyers are brilliant live. Cariño were another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I was there too. Had kinda the opposite opinion of the headliners. Arcade Fire didn't really live up to my really high expectations. I think they're the best live band on the planet usually, but maybe it was just the mood I was in. The Strokes blew me away.. Up there with the best I've seen them, and I've been seeing them since 2002. Couldn't hack Florence. Just not my kinda thing. Belle and Sebastian were my surprise of the weekend. They were amazing! Such feel good vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I had to leave to get the bus back before Belle and Sebastian started but my friend's a big fan and she loved it. The clips I've seen seemed like fun.

I'll freely admit I'm biased when ti comes to Arcade Fire because they're one of my favourite bands and it was the first time I saw them live. The others who came with me were seeing them for the first time and loved them too.

We were to the left of the stage for the Strokes and the sound was terrible for the first few songs. It also took a while for Julian Casablancas to get going, he seemed to liven up after a few drinks. It wasn't a bad show but I wasn't overly impressed, especially given how much other bands were able to connect with the crowd.

Yeah, I've seen both The Strokes and Arcade Fire five or six times each and would rate Arcade Fire as a better live act by a huge distance. Maybe it was just a case of my expectations being a lot higher for Arcade Fire. Lovely little festival all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Be interested in feedback on Cala Mijas Festival - thinking about it for next year. Have accomodation 20km up the road, so may opt out of camping if getting home is feasible.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

It's a cool little festival. I'd definitely recommend it. Nowhere near the scale of Electric Picnic, but they do it well. The big acts alternate between the two main stages, so when one finishes, you just head over to the other stage and they never clash. It starts pretty late each day.. Most people just head over around 7/8, so can head down to the village or the beach during the day. It's a strange set-up with the campsite being a bus ride away, but to be fair to them there were courtesy shuttle buses to both the town during the day and the festival in the evening and back again. I think there's very cheap tickets going if you get them early, which we didn't. Can be as cheap as €90 for the whole three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone else going to Fuinneamh? Hoping the weather is decent, I've never been before but looks great.

Whores an absolute gig of the year contender in the Grand Social tonight. Filth of the highest quality. Erased any lingering EP hangover and truly gave me what i needed. Top class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Agreed. Great evening and they were brilliant.

• Advertisement

Good support too. Well impressed with the Cork lads God Alone, i'd be delighted to see them at an Irish festival. Also Venus Twins were fun, despite their technical issues. A drummer from the Keith Moon school 😁

Advertisement