Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

BG supposed to be reducing the cost per unit of gas in the next few days. Sure they will do the same with electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just to add to the charging overnight point. You won't get a full charge in 3 hours on most cars from a home charger. Would only be half a charge or less on some cars. The theoretical maximum is about 22.2kwh from a 3 hour charge. A 50kwh battery is fairly standard now. Although a 3 hour charge should get you 100km+ range in most cars.

Energia might have the better offer. 5c per unit cheaper during the day and 3c per unit more expensive on the charging rate but the charging rate lasts for an hour longer and the standing charge is low

Post edited by GarIT on

Trying to reply to CoBo still not working for me on mobile, don't know what's up with it.

That's fair enough, and it is an issue I have with them too, people are willingly signing up though. I've argued with a few who insisted prepay electricity is cheaper even when I showed them the prices so kinda feel like they are making their own bed on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Unless you're driving 300km every single day, I'd imagine 3 hours charge a night should be enough to keep the battery topped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a very inefficient EV. But even so, that's 37k km per year. Not too many people do a lot more than that. For me it's more than enough to keep 2 EVs on the road. And remember the 5c rate is 67% cheaper than the Flogas community night rate that people in here were signing up for in their thousands. So the odd time charging at full day rate is fully compensated. And there is the €100 welcome bonus...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They are, as smart rates typically are... But they are getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Switched to Flogas last week thanks to a recommendation on this thread before the link expired. Got a call from Energia offering a 20% discount to stay with them. When they announced their price cut I asked what my new day night rate would be with them. I was told "The 20% discount comes off our standard unit which will be decreasing on the 3rd October 2023. So to answer your question yes, however reduction approximate decrease is 15% which will give Day rate of 31.81 and Night 15.06 from 3rd of October 2023 including VAT, no change of standing charge."

Received an email today offering a free Google nest hub if I remained with them. I was tempted however upon speaking to an agent I was told that they have no Google Nests hubs left and that my rates would in fact be 36.4c and 17.3 cent respectively and that I had been given the wrong rates by email.

Might just continue with my move to Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was meant to get a google nest audio from Vodafone and they said they had none left so I requested the value as credit

might be worth a try

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

Is that 36/17 inc vat or ex? I'm with Electric Ireland, and my rate is changing from 27.7 to 37.5... I'm on a smart meter but with 24-hour billing (servers and network gear running 24/7, so makes sense to have a 24-hour bill). That being said if the day rate is close to the same price I will be paying, but the night is cheaper, it might take something off the bill... Also, is there a peak charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Including vat as far as I'm aware with a day night meter.

So you drain the battery every day though? The charging window is every day

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LarryBarry

Signed up to this link on 11.08.23, Got email to say 14 working day's & will receive welcome pack etc... 17 working days later no welcome pack or email of any description. So called flogas & sure enough I am set up on system & couldn't understand why I had not received my welcome email. I asked for this welcome pack email to be resent as i have no idea of my account number nor access to check account etc. This still has not been sent as of yet.

I asked to confirm what rates I was on and it was Day 35.17 / Day Peak 41.6 / Night 27 & SC 85.15 per day. I suggested that these seemed to not reflect the rates I was quoted by my company when I signed & was told that yes they have lower rates for BWG employee's or DCC that I just needed them to issue me another link to sign up...( They did not ask nor did I say I was BWG or DCC employee , I only mentioned "my company")

No, there are still some limitations. Depending on your use case to consider. If you did drain the battery it would be 3 days before you could have it full again, or 4 days for some of the larger batteries.

Or if you're like me or my neighbours who mostly have 150km motorway commutes (I only do it twice a week) and were doing that 5 days a week you might not have enough left towards the end of the week especially in winter.

Those are of course exceptions but just things to consider might happen if someone is trying to maximise their savings. It can make a significant difference, even if you need one full charge per month off your EV rate that could be 600kwh per year

No, there are still some limitations. Depending on your use case to consider. If you did drain the battery it would be 3 days before you could have it full again, or 4 days for some of the larger batteries.

Or if you're like me or my neighbours who mostly have 150km motorway commutes (I only do it twice a week) and were doing that 5 days a week you might not have enough left towards the end of the week especially in winter.

Those are of course exceptions but just things to consider might happen if someone is trying to maximise their savings. It can make a significant difference, even if you need one full charge per month off your EV rate that could be 600kwh per year

One of the companies EV rates only last 2 hours too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I too dumped my Day Night for a Regular Smart Meter.

I would advise anyone to do the maths, especially if you have a 6kWp+ array and / or a decent battery (maybe 10kW). Best FIT, lowest import from 2 - 5.

The important thing is to charge the car and battery FULLY each night, and therefore have everything generated after self use being exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't know what EV you have but with an average consumption of 22kWh / 100km maybe a guzzler like a fat e-tron? I don't think the average consumption in my Model S is that high, but I guess if that is mostly motorway mileage at 120km/h that would explain it

Anyway presuming your commutes aren't back to back days, you can have the car 100% charged the night before the first commute, and perhaps by the day of your second commute, the car can (almost) be fully charged again. Set your charge point or your car on a timer (2-5AM) and then just remember to plug in every evening

And remember every kWh you stick into the car at 5c, saves you 10c (compared to the best plan that was available in the last few months) and you get a €100 welcome bonus. So you can even now and then charge at full day rates, still saving a fortune over Flogas community plan or any other plan for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone get a better offer from BG than the increased ones last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

I think 5% above the rate you had last year is as good as it gets.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I was trying to cover all the bases by saying 100km+. I've an MG4 that spends 50% of its life on motorways. my lifetime average is 16.2kw/100km. But my motorway average seems to be between 18-19 and once when there was a storm last month I did get 22.5kw/100km doing Galway to Mullingar.

Also at home my car tends to charge at 6.8kw/h sometimes 6.7kw/h, it's not that often I get 7.2kw/h. And I'm imagine someone doing long distances every day is going to do it on the motorway. So I guess conservatively I was saying you could be working with ~20kwh from a 3h charge so 100km+ covered all the bases.

Long story short none of it really matters, the people who kicked this off said they recently got an EV and wanted to know if they need to know anything if I'm remembering correctly. So I was just trying to make the simple point that you should make sure a 3 hour per night charging plan works for you before signing up to it.

I did an excel comparison of all the plans last week, and switched to energia, but some of the day/night/peak rates were coming within €50 over the course of a year based on my usage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I'm being offered 44% off the unit rates for bge. Below costs are incl vat. Seems reasonable to me. Standing charge looks ok too.Smart meter with non smart 24hr plan. Don't use huge amounts of gas or electricity. Don't have ev.

Any thoughts?

Gas

Unit rates

14.61 8.18 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge

€169.40

Carbon Tax

€0.00877/kWh

Electricity

24 hour rate

48.19 26.99 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge

€281.12

PSO levy

€-7.43

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Renewed our contract with Energia 3 or 4 months ago. We were only offered a 10% discount at the time. Has anyone left energia while still in contract and been offered a retention deal (i.e. 20% discount)? I'm tempted to start a move if there's a good chance of getting a retention discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

If you were on a 39% discount last year that's the best they will offer you going by previous posts.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Went to BGE on the dual fuel 33% discount on 20th October last year and just got the expected 38% discount on both, 6 weeks and 3 days out from end of contract.

I know its fairly early days in terms of these discounts and having been regularly reading the thread I haven't seen anyone on this offer be offered anything more than the 5% increase on top of previous discount. Has anyone on the OBS offer, who might have take it up early September last year, seen the discount offer increase as they get closer to contract end?

Also, when you renew does the new contract kick in straight away or does the new 12 months start from when your existing deal ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

It will start the day after your old contract ends.

All of the BG discounts seemed to go up at the same time last week, regardless of time left on renewal. I don't recall seeing any reports of posters having offers increased again closer to contract expiry, despite some people suggesting this.

Max discounts seem to be 44%/44% for dual, and 40% for elec only (24hr).

This 5% that keeps getting mentioned, this consist of 3% Paperless + 2% direct debit. You will find this switch in your online account (like below) Many of us BG customers are getting this already so will only be offered the same discount as last year (39% for 24hr elec only myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Thanks and yeah from what I have read here I haven't seen anything increase on that particular offer even closer to expiry.

It's that thing of being caught between trying to squeeze out an extra few percent or potentially lose the offer (they can of course pull it at anytime) so I think for me it's worth locking in for the certainty and hope the unit rates come down to help that bit more too!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

with BGE for 2 properties, one got offered 38% and one got offered 33%. Rang customer service and they said that they can offer any disount they want to any property and the system will not let them change it. SO CS was of no use. asked if there was a rententions department and was told no.

The 38% I assumed was 33% last year + 5% loyalty. So should be the same for both accounts but they say different :(

I guess the discount ammount is based on this new variable a bit like the insurance federation (what ever number they think you will take)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Was just looking at my last BG electricity bill and the unit price is 44.21c before the 33% OBS discount

With this new renewal offer the unit price is 48.19c before the 33% renewal discount

Sneaky f*cks just adding a little increase on to the unit price when, if anything, the price should be coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Started to flap a little when I saw this yesterday as I applied to switch on 23/08 using the same BWG link I think, though I've a Day/Night meter.

Just off the phone with Flogas. They confirmed my switch date as 25th August, day rate as 30c ex VAT, night rate 13c ex VAT and standing charge as 76c per day ex VAT. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

The 44.21 is probably before vat at 9%. Putting vat onto that brings it up to 48.19!

Advertisement