Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, definitely what i need. Tried putting everything to low and 1080p, and still get massive stuttering. Don't even think its when new assets are loading, as it happens even when i'm not moving into new areas.

Definitely a game i'll love, as the few mins i played were great, but will have to wait a while. Baldurs Gate 3 it is i suppose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Try the DLSS mod for anyone with an Nvidia card.

Supposed to really improve performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe mods will eventually come to console, so I find hearing feedback from people playing the game with mods is kinda irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, if I had an option to enable a few mods to improve the experience I would, but unless the mods come out on console at the same time, which they won't, opinions on the modded game may conflate the reviews.

I also see a few bugs and Bethesda history issues and people are somehow ok with them, saying it adds to the experience, and it wouldn't be a Bethedsa game without them... granted it looks immensely better than anything else they've released before numerous patches, but I hate seeing those types of comments.

How are console players finding the 30fps? Watching the DF tech review, I thought it was very obvious between the PC/console footage (which he alludes to in the intro - "you'll know"). Trying to avoid spoilers for this (which to me includes "look at this random planet I found") is getting hard already! But knowing I've to put 2 full nights of gaming into it before it "gets good" is a big ask. I usually give 3-4 or upwards of 8 for some games before giving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Personally I don't find an issue with the 30fps. Has been very smooth for me on series S.

I am 3 hours in and last night I went to a random planet and landed, found an abandoned station so went to have a look, full of space pirates and were much higher level than me so legged it in the other direction, found another structure and there was a massive ship and a trader walking around. Said she was taking her weird pet for a walk....so I looked around and thought I wonder if I can steal her ship.....broke into it, found the cockpit....got myself a nice new ship.

This is the sorta stuff that I love about these games, you see something and wonder "can I do X" and then you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The performance is surprisingly good for me on pc with a mix of med to high settings. As for the game itself I’m about ten hours in and I’m reserving judgment until I’ve played a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No issues here either with 30fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I have not tried it but this mod is supposed to be good for Nvidia users

It is similar to the PureDark mod but without the paywall. I'll try it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Hi all,

Has anyone heard any mention of a bundle with the game and a Series X/S?

I have it myself but am hoping to get it for a friend with the console as a gift. Curious to know with GameStop not in the market anymore if Smyth's/Amazon have any plans before the Christmas rush to bundle them?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I cant play games below 90 fps as a minimum unless its really slow paced 30 fps is just ridiculous in 2023.

I normally aim for 144 fps as per my monitor for shooters but if i cant reach that then 90 it is but anything below in a shooter is terrible for me.

I could do 60 in a single player game for sure but 30 would be very difficult to deal with.

By all accounts the game is boring until about 12 hours in, seems to be a trend with many games these days.

There’s just an awful lot to understand when it comes to the crafting system, navigation and ship modifications, base construction etc. I’ve spent about 10 hours on it and I’ve only completed 2 early quests and have 3 or 4 more on the go. I’ve only explored 3 or 4 different systems and I haven’t really gone near ship modifications or base building at all.

• Advertisement

Sounds like its lived up to expectation in terms of being a vast game.

Sure ill find out myself when it unlocks on game pass pc.

I wonder will this be the game that finally makes my 1080TI struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why not give them an Xbox and a 6 month Game pass sub? Will include Starfield and hundreds of other games. Don't undertstand why people still buy it when it's on Gamepass and always will be as it's first party.

1080ti will run it but not at high settings or with high fps. But that card hardly owes you anything at this stage? Prices have come down from the madness we’ve seen in recent years, now is probably not a bad time for an upgrade, especially if you’re prepared to buy second hand.

Yeah 6 years and its been flawless shame EVGA are no longer making GPU`s.

Ive considered a full new system upgrade the past 12 months or more but i can still literally play everything very well even MSFS in major cities i can get 60+ fps, shame Starfield is so hefty on hardware , its not as if it looks that special just badly optimised.

Listen to me trying to justify or is it un-justify a new rig :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm still on my 1080ti as well 😂 beast of a card, it's so hard to justify upgrading from it as everything is such horrible value these days. I assume Starfield with fsr2 will still run at reasonable fps on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

That's my current plan anyway but just wanted to see if they might have thrown in a copy of it for a little extra. Thanks!

The music is lovely, Bethesda always nail the soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Last night I joined a gang. I done a few easy missions for them and then we went after a rival gang in the town. Killed a load of them and security was waiting for us on the way out of warehouse. Turned out strangely well for me and my gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seems now after a few days after launch that they overall view of players is very positive.

Sales on Xbox and Steam seem to be very strong.

Looks like this game is going to be a huge success despite a lot of negativity directed at it before launch by mostly PS fanboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Smyth's came through and my Series X disc arrived today. Thank goodness I have fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So after my previous post, I'm about 20hours in.

More I play. More I am enjoying this.

The shear scale and size of the hand crafted worlds is immense.

Multiple biomes on planets is cool.

Landed in Dublin for the craic, nothing left. Pity. Might have to make a mod for it.

The amount of quests available is absolutely massive. And the factions seem fully fleshed out. Really enjoying my space ranger role and outfit on Akila.

I'd wonder if menus will get tweaked in further updates. Haven't come across any barriers yet on planets and I've walked a fair bit discovering things.

Cool variety of plant and animal life.

Delighted with the speech options compared to fallout 4.

Digital lock game still annoys me.

Inventory still too small. At least the annoying fan has become my locker on the ship.

I'd like an option to not display spacesuit on the ship like on the settlements.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

XBox disk probably only has the license key on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Made my first trip to Neon today, best to have a nap until it's night hours before you leave the ship - the whole walk to the elevator to main level is just so much more moody and perfect when it's dark and raining 🤣.

Also accidentally discovered you can mine asteroids by shooting at them with lasers, not that I can use the resources for anything right now cos I've been a bit lax with my skill point assignments.

Limerick is a sandy desert but some crackhead still wandered up asking me for spare change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'd be way more interested in this game if I didn't have a load of other half finished games. Definitely looking forward to giving it a spin on GamePass.

Can you undo skill point assignment in the game ? Or have you to commit ? I know in Skyrim it becomes very difficult later on to level up skills that you've ignored since the start.

Not that I know of yet, once you've committed that's it - no reroll or anything else. Each skill also has 4 levels associated with it, each one costing a skill point. It's something I find myself completely slowing down for and reading everything before I spend them. You'll know yourself early enough what you want to invest in for your character (ship combat/weapon skills/carry weight/persuasion etc) so it's just building off that.

Post edited by DarkJager21 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

25 hours in-utterly addicted. Cant remember last time a non sports game hooked me like this...maybe red dead redemption 2. Im wasting hours on my first base flying back and forth buying more resources and tinkering with its layout. 25 hours in and I fell I have nothing done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Does anyone know if watchtower actually help defend settlement or is it only for show?

Advertisement