Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not a photo of my watch today😟 Instead in something that should shake us all into keeping a better eye out when we are buying. Aswell as something slightly terrifying given the money that some will spend on their watches(Not me, but only because they are out of my price range😉).

The 2 photos below are of a fake Vs Gen comparison of a "clone" of the Patek 324 movement which also has a free-sprung balance. Apparently the old version of the fake didn't have that so it was a tell if you knew what to look for.

Fake on left, genuine article on the right. I've changed the colour temp from the original as they were quite a dark image and hard to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I heard the best fakes now are so good that not even an expert could tell with the naked eye

The Horology House debacle a few years ago left quite a few people wondering about their Daytona's I reckon. That's before you even start to look at stuff celebs are wearing as gen that are a pastiche of gen parts or fakes with some gen parts.

I had hands on Pam 441 a couple of years ago that only for Fitz spotting the movement was wrong, I'd have bought. In the hand and from the front? Apart from maybe the lower quality strap, I'd never have known and I didn't let the dodgy strap stop me from considering buying.

I've also read that Rolex has been so well copied on the Daytona & Submariner front that they are near indistinguishable if not an expert. Even down to clone movements and parts exchangeable with gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

On the one had, it's a pity but in another way it's a reflection of the "brand cachet" price inflation problem. The days when Patek, Breguet etc were manufacturing things that other makers physically couldn't are no more, so you're not paying for "I can't get this anywhere else". If anything, prices should have decreased but instead they've skyrocketed.

The ridiculous end of the market today is what these brands used to occupy a hundred years ago. And price wise, you could easily spend the price of a house on a luxury watch then, too. Another difference is the relative price of a working class man's house was much lower a hundred years ago.

I was on r/reptime and saw there's lads spending 15k + on CNC machined 18k gold cases😮 to put fake movements or on occasion the real movement and dial in. The usual notion of Arthur Daly with a stock of snides is still part and parcel of fakes. I think the lads who go all out on real gold or bussdown a fake watch with real diamonds are even worse tho.

They spin it out as their "love of watches" but it quickly descends into just fakery and fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

There's meant to be a BB58 clone out that defies macro inspection.

Where these all fall down (thankfully) is movement under a loop. You can't fake that finish on higher price point stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ages ago I think I mentioned somebody on another forum linked me a "rep" site on the interwebs. Not quite Darkweb, but invite only. The usual Rolex clones were most of it, but the vintage stuff, far more my bag, was scary. To be fair it was long enough ago when you could find real Rolex and other movements for a few hundred quid or less and these guys were readying up fake cases, dials etc. Vintage Panerai were a fave(real vintage Aegler movement slapped in a new case, add "patina", et voila), but a couple of fake as fcuk Rolex Milsubs caught my eye. One in particular was beyond sobering. The level of detail was astonishing.

The vintage world around the higher value stuff can be and too often is an utter cesspit of fakes and frankens. IMHO at least half of all vintage Panerai are bogus to some degree, some made last week, with even added real radium. 70's Daytona's another well dodgy area. 60's Seamasters yet another.

The big name auction houses are major clearing houses for this ballsology. Just like they always were in art, antiques and antiquities. Well, when ebay gives you far more protection in law as a buyer than the auction world...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

On the Panerai front. More trawling on RWI and r/reptime throw up not just a lot of them, but also a lot of folk building specific models and aging and shaping the watches.

Honestly some brilliant talent all tainted by fakery. I mean look at some of the fakes on this guy's Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149931430@N07/albums/72157683374803243

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sure Omega bought a €3m speedmaster for their museum and it was fake. Although, sounds like they knew it was fake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ultimately if the market wasn't pushing insane prices there wouldn't be a workable return for the fakers.

And in times gone by, no-name movements in custom made jewellers cases was where the fashionable end of the market was. Nobody would have batted an eyelid of the movement wasn't well known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anyone see Hodinkee's recent video with Adam Levine ? Within hours of it being posted his vintage daytona was called out as fake with issues so obvious to people that know those models. That said I wouldnt of known as vintage nor daytonas are my thing but you would think that Hodinkee would of caught it immediatly and at least left the suss watches out of their video.

Ultimately if the market wasn't pushing insane prices there wouldn't be a workable return for the fakers.

Theres a huge market for fake casio f91 believe or not so Its not only price driven.

I had actually meant to use that one as my more recent example, but? Couldn't remember who was called out, our who it was by. I think it was a guy called Perez-scope or similar? Who has a channel dedicated to spotting flaws and fakes

Yeah thats him - perezcope on instagram.Same guy that called out the fake panerai movement in Panerai's advertising and Stallone's make beleive story about how he found Panerai.Interesting guy to follow

Im a big fan of Panerai and Stallone but

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

New boots for the Timex Pan Am

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seiko lume shot, again.

Will have to try clean it and go somewhere dark!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seiko lume is insanely good in my experience. I was lucky enough to get a vial of the powder a few years ago and have used it when reluming my vintage stuff. With Trench watches where they originally laid it on thick to get the best glow, building up a couple of layers of the Seiko stuff means they shine and remain legible pretty much all night. And that's with colour tinting to achieve the vintage look of the originals. Though over the years I've found the trick and unlike most How To's where they add pigment as they mix it is to apply it 'pure' and then use high quality watercolour pigment as a dilute wash.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yesterday and today I've been wearing two of my dad's watches, from the 50's and 80's respectively and neither could be any more of their decade if they tried. 😁 Both ickle too, as was the fashooon of the times.

!960's French electronical today.

Going underwater skiing later. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

... I'm a cheap-ass, that's why.

Pagani Design pd1690 automatic for €50 delivered 🧐

Another "lumerals" shot, my 103 Destro after a blast of the UV torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

A new purchase that has just arrived. VC Fiftysix Day-Date SS (40mm) with 24/75 SC/2 in-house automatic movement (Geneva seal). Size is going to take a while to get used to but initial impression is that the quality is off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

More picks. Had looked at these recently. 56 range are “good value” (as good as value can be when talking 5 figures).

Hope this are OK 893Bet - not great with camera!

My camera skills are questionable at best……hard to take a bad picture of that watch though.

Stunning. Have you done a state of the collection or what else have you in the watch box?

Thanks 893 - to be honest, the watch is actually nicer in the flesh than in the pictures. I never had a VC before but they are obviously real quality. The fiftysix is very understated - the risk of losing your arm while wearing it anywhere is minimal. I have an SD43, a few Panerais, and a GO Chronometer at the minute but the plan is to reduce quantity and to hopefully end up with 2/3 high quality pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

That VC is stunning, well wear!

All luxury watches in their own right but the step up to something Vacheron like or similar is notable! Well wear.

Where in the country are you located?

My less complicated and less eloquent Overseas. One I have considered parting ways with on more than one occasion (and I don’t have it that long) but happy to have held it.

Post edited by 893bet on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Very very nice congrats have looked at the 56 before they are lovely

Advertisement