Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

My D/N contract with Energia finishes tomorrow (29.82/8.59) on an MCC02.

Just off the phone to Energia now and the best the can offer is a 15% discount, so from 3 Oct rates would be (38.35/18.4). Their first offer was a 13% discount.

They very quickly compared the rate to Flogas when I mentioned them, and calculated what the savings would be if I stayed with them compared to Flogas.

Was told the 15% might not be offered if I called again on the 7th. Told me I could lock in the discounted rates for 14 days if I wanted.

Also said that as the rate is variable, if Energia change/increase the rates you have 30 days to decide if you want to stay with them or not. If you leave there is no cost (not breaking the contract).

Nothing else on offer from them as regards retention (no google nest).

Told them I'd think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

Is that true that when a provider increases their rate you can leave without penalty or is that just Energia?

In that case all of those people that were charged 50 euro per contract breach for changing early would not have been charged as almost every provider increased their standard rates in the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Somebody did post a phone number for BGE many pages back. IIRC it was different from the usual CS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

Manually went through about 20-30 pages and then tried a search. No joy. I might wait a few days and see what happens. I dont even know if BGE have a retention department :) but I cant log a question even on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I signed up to flogas on 20th Aug. My SSE account has been cancelled so the port went through ok.

Does anyone remember if these are the rates before I touch base as I didnt get a welcome email/account number ect.

Gas 09.85c Incl Vat

Electricity day 33.38 Incl Vat

Electricity night 14.75 Incl Vat

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just rang electricireland.ie my contrup next week. All they're offering is the 5%....

I'm thinking it was 3 months plus or so. 30 pages would just about cover the recent back and forth about Flogas please don't call them hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Check the price comparison sites and instigate a move direct with the cheapest supplier when your contract is up, waste of time ringing and offering to be loyal if they want you they will chase you

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

BREAKING:

Source = https://www.bonkers.ie/price-change-calendar/

SSE Airtricity

New customer discounts on Electricity and Dual Fuel plans increased to 20%. Welcome credit increased to €200 on 10% discount plans.

Rates:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Looks like my BGE offer is still the best so far but good to see more companies dropping prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

And BG about to announce gas unit price reductions too according to the radio last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mrperty2011

So i switched to flogas on 21/08 got email Electricity Tariff : DG1 24HR Community Fixed 12 A23 NB. Checked with them what rate was this and got response today. Not sure if these are right.

Your rates are as follows, ex VAT

Standing Charge 76.14

Unit rate day     27.51

Unit rate night  13.53

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got my OBS expiry warning - 38%. I was with them at least one year before going on that deal, so do I hang back and wait for more I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

With bord gais, finishing this week on my 39/39 dual fuel and offered 9/44 gas/elec. Seeing as flogas is now gone and bonkers isn't offering any better I think i'll sign back up and see if anything happens over the cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 xil

Thanks GarIT & Unkel for comprehensive discussion. My main concerns were if there are any "fair use" limitations or Pinergy's box that they want to install has bugs or whatever anybody encountered that could give negative considerations for changing the supplier. So far nobody chipped any negative comments, so will probably sign up to Pinergy when my contract expires early October.

Re BG's 3% paperless discount and 2% DD discount - the 40% they offer has all discounts added together. Unless something changed since last year - the bill just says -40% affinity discount.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Well now, it looks like I fell between two stools as they say!

Got in to the Flogas BWG offer so all fine but then BG offered me 39% discount to renew which was marginally better and not fixed, rang BG confirmed I could go straight onto that before contract end date, told me ring FG and cancel (was within 14 days) and ring BG back. Did that but when rang back BG they said they couldn't do anything until FG transferred supply back to them. That took 5 days until it appeared back with BG and now the 39% apparently only refers to new business!

They are 'looking into it' so will have to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? Any issues make a complaint and tell them to review the original call tapes. I don't see any 39% offer for new business so it sounds like you're being given the runaround.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

Does anyone have the WaterPower rate for August?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I have raised complaint and they are to get back to me. If they play back the tapes they can see I was not told on Day 1 that I would lose it if it took days for supply to be switched back, I came off that call thinking FG would do it instantly in some way or other! I know better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You mentioning "the box" sets of alarm bells. If they have equipment they install they add an extra 44c per day standing charge. Years ago prepay power charged my mam €250 to remove their equipment but I think pinergy say that is what the 44c covers. I thought it would just be using your standard meter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You mentioning the "box" sets of alarm bells. If they have equipment they install they add an extra 44c per day standing charge. I think they call it an equipment rental fee. Years ago prepay power charged my mam €250 to remove their equipment and I think pinergy used to do the same but I think pinergy say that is what the 44c covers now. I thought it would just be using your standard meter and that they only did this on pre pay plans

Post edited by GarIT on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

On another thread, irishchris made €1400 PROFIT last year being on Pinergy. Of course, it meant his annual electricity cost was therefore zero too

And no, there is no cap

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Don't know the rate for Aug, but wholesale electricity prices are looking slightly higher for August than July. Waterpower was 23•5 cent plus vat for July for a 24hr meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm on the exact same tariff and took a screenshot when I signed up on 20/8. So your unit day rate is correct (27.51 ex VAT/ 29.99 inc VAT). My screenshot just has Unit Rate @ 27.51 ex VAT, no mention of a cheaper night rate. Also, it shows a standing charge is 299.91 / 302.92 inc VAT, wonder why yours is so low? I would take what they are offering you and say nothing, unless I am missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

Can anyone confirm what the rate for Energia will be? By my math, it's currently 43.6c with discounts (at the current price) but in October, it came down by 20%... So, again, my math (inc vat) is 34.8? Is that right? it's still around 55 quid more than I'm currently paying (30.1c on around 1260 units per month) but if I stay with Electric Ireland, it would go up 123.7. The next best seems to be FloGas at 37.6 or SSE's new rate at 38.5 (86 and 97 quid extra). Is there a spread sheet with links and details anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@John arse of course! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

create you own spreadsheet and what links do you need ? use bonkers etc to find the best deal to suit you and sign up using the relevant website

The internet isn’t for everyone

Advertisement