Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Noise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jbv

It's been very noisy only since the new runaway is up and running and also the fact that it's been used for planes to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Did planes not take off from the old runway,which is closer to you,for the past 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

If you are seeing take offs in Belmayne then they are coming from the old runway. The new runway is only used for take-offs towards the west in normal circumstances. When the wind direction is such that take off will be towards the east then the new runway will be used for landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Take off has been out to the east over Belmayne, Balgriffin Baldoyle last few days. I'm in baldoyle and you notice the take off noise alot more compared to when they are coming in for landing

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jbv

I am not an expert, from what I know is that the DAA have changed something since the new runway and you actually see the planes landing and taking off. However the noise level it's been increased from the planes taking off. And that it's not OK, no matter runaway is used.

Post edited by jbv on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Video detailing the problem with the new runway and the solution

https://youtu.be/v6pCTfXS0Cw?feature=shared

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BLV

It seems that planes going to Europe do not fly east right away. Instead they take off in the opposite direction and then fly over Dublin, Bray, Greystones, etc. Why cannot they just climb and turn over the sea? Would that route be even shorter?

I was looking to buy in Bray or Greystones but while these areas are lovely, aircraft noise is annoying. Obviously not as much as in Howth or Malahide, but I really don’t understand why planes have to fly over Dublin and not the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's more efficient to take off into a headwind, gives the plane more lift

Considering planes are heaviest when taking off, efficiency is key

Similarly they tend to land into the wind for the extra lift, and also to avoid planes taking off

Since the prevailing wind is typically from the Westerly side of the compass, most of the takeoffs are going West initially and then turn over Dublin

I believe the northern runway takeoffs turns right to go over Fingal and the South runway turn left to circle around Dublin

The routes were set before a lot of the houses around Bray were built, and the IAA is generally pretty reluctant to change them

I wouldn't be out off Bray for the aircraft noise, as long as they aren't directly overhead it isn't too intrusive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement