Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going into dry cattle

Options
  • 05-09-2023 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Moving away from the sucklers in the next year or so and going into dry cattle.

Approx 80 acres, 60 acres of good grazing ground.

Work full time and live away from the farm.

What systems would be the best ?

I am thinking about going down the route of buying weanlings in the spring for grass and keep them for 12 months and let them off again.

Any advice ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Can you keep 15/20 of this year’s weanlings away from herd until spring 25, this would allow you trial at a lower risk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What kind of sheds or slatted units have you? As in, will they suit cattle?

There's a few on here who buy weanlings in the Autumn, winter them, and kill off grass the following June/July.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

Sold most of the weanlings - only 5/6 small lads left around sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

4 slatted pens and 4 dry pens. I wouldnt be a bord bia member as of yet and not sure if killing them would suit me as i would have a bit of grass management work to do before i could even consider killing off grass

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dry stock is always about weight gain whether finishing or selling in the mart. I presume you are thinking of buying suckler weanlings. That is a tough high risk game. Add to that a spring to spring system.

IMO it is very tough for three lads to have a decent margin out if the same animal especially if you take away 150+ in mart transport and slaughter fees.

Bite the bullet and start finishing what you buy off grass. Fencing and paddocking need not be a deal breaker. Stick water troughs in middle of fields put 3-4 stakes around them to fence off and use pigtails and reels to make paddocks. I would not worry about grass management a disc mower can solve a lot of grass management

QA from board bia is fairly straightforward the first attempt. I see no point in producing cattle for another lad to have most of the margin if you have decent land.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement