Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Why doesn't tubs come out and do an interview? Explain everything..

You'd swear he had something to hide...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh he will. Meaning of Life with Duffy would probably be his first choice. He could perhaps wear a halo on it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

There is zero chance todayFM will give RT a slot when in RTE he relied on an aging passive listenership, especially a snoozefest in which he relied on a whole taxpayer funded team of researchers.

Just because a few RTE presenters went to todayFM before doesn't mean it's a sure bet for RT.

Plus what employer wants a "star" that doesn't know discretion about contract details.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Not sure Ryan would be able for such a tough interviewer..........

Joe: have ya anyting ta say ta da mammies and de childers Ryan?

Ryan: I'm sorry Joe. I'm sorry that the bad eggs in RTE took The Toyman out of their lives. It's honestly not fair that no child in Ireland can sleep tonight knowing I'm off the air. They're the real victims...and if they'd only get on to their TDs and Parish Priests I could be back on air soon - and I'm willing to take a pay cut to €499,999.99 for a 1 hour show 9 months of the year....that's how kind I am.

Joe: Dat's very kind of ya.

Ryan: I know Joe, I'm very kind. And I read books - did you know that? But there's a limit to my kindness. If they don't hurry up, I'll do the BIG podcast.

The irony of that statement is he never buys books, he always got them free - and often he got them in advance of release date (promotional copies). He'd frequently confirm this on his former radio show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

The first sentence from the well read bookworm on his Instagram video, "I've got a very little time."

Post edited by hawley on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah certainly up to recently the only way was down after RTÉ is what the perception would have been allowing for exceptions like Ian Dempsey for example.

Now stations like Today FM and Newstalk provide very credible alternatives and are superior in many ways. With RTÉ brand suffering greatly I think these stations will only get stronger.

I don’t think Tubridy is the “catch” his PR machine would like us to think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't under stand the need for Sharon Ni B and Ray Kennedy to swap every second day, I know Sharon also presents Crimecall but that is a monthly show.

That's not to mention that RTÉ now have to get a Weekend presenter to take over from Sharon T and Ray Kennedy.

But sure we will take august off when we only have on news presenter reading the Lunchtime News, Six One and The Nine O'Clock news.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well he does have some interest in books, whether free promos or stuff he buys.

So let him at it in his podcast. I won't be watching or following it.

Just as long as he stays there and no funny ideas about weaselling himself back into RTE.

Having an interest in something doesn’t make one an expert in that field. Given his limited vocabulary (as mentioned in an earlier post), and considering his literary output (Patrick and the President, The First Christmas Jumper), I think it’s fair to say we’re not dealing with either an intellectual or literary mastermind here.

It’s not the only area he’s feigned knowledge in. He’s a classic ultracrepidarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I think that Bauer may be more careful with its market research. But measuring radio audiences is extremely difficult.

Perhaps Tubridy still has some value as a broadcaster. There are still at least two months of PAC and Media Committee hearings to get through first and then there's the RTE bailout. If he kept a low profile, the damage would be to RTE and to its management. Tubridy has an need for attention and that's going to keep him tied into it and it will reduce his worth to broadcasters and advertisers. He probably will return to broadcasting. (He's no longer a national broadcaster so a Dublin station might be the best he cold get.) Looking at it in cynical business terms, he is damaged goods and would need a long quarantine period.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I never watched or listened to him very much but he does not come across as very well read, or erudite, despite the image he might wish to portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He’s a classic ultracrepidarian.

Ultracrepidarian Mr Tubridy?

All publishers have target lists of reviewers and the genres that reviewers influence. The problem with Tubridy is that he's not really influential but it only costs a publisher a few Euro for the promotional copy.

Without his show, publishers really can't use a Ryan Tubridy recommendation in their marketing (endorsements are valuable). Two of the best examples of TV tie-in marketing were the Oprah Winifrey book club and the Richard and Judy book club. The authors were often part of the promotion. That's a long way from Tubridy's Instagram effort.

Even if nobody takes his recommendations seriously, Tubridy will still keep doing them because he has an overwhelming need for public attention. The Saturday and Sunday newspapers are often the main targets for publishers and if Tubridy wanted some credibility, he might have Noel Kelly knocking on some doors trying to get him the odd reviewer gig. There is a lot of competition and some of those reviewers have been doing the job for years. People trust the opinions of their favourite reviewers and they help with book sales. Writing reviews is a lot tougher than it looks and Tubridy doesn't appear to have the necessary concentration to do it well.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

I’d like to offer you my most enthusiastic contrafibularities for posting that humorous gif.

Joking aside, that’s one of my favourite Blackadder episodes.

It’s a great word, I don’t get to use it very often though. There’s quite a few ultracrepidarians in the NK stable however.

Jayzuz will ya stop causing pericombobulation on the thread please 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

IIRC the Ian Dempsey/Ryan Tubridy relationship has been mentioned before but I wasn't aware of any hostility. Regarding a studio handover scenario, I agree with you that there is no specific on air handover between Ian Dempsey and the incoming presenter, as Today FM (AFAIK) would usually cut to commercials followed by the top of the hour news bulletin after which the incoming presenter commences his/her show. I was thinking more on the lines of an off air awkwardness between the two but again that's going on the presumption that there may have been an issue between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oh I agree, but sure let him at it. It's a harmless delusion but as long as he peddles this facade in his own time and at his own expense, let him at it.

• Advertisement

He's hanging around London today with Peir Morgan. So Talk TV?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

Tubs over at talk tv. Is he going to be on piers Morgan tonight?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

RTE have flirted with a minor national disaster here. Okay, I would like to have him on our national broadcaster, as would most people, but it's a total catastrophe if our top broadcasting talent doesn't even go to a commercial station in this country, but ends up abroad. Absolutely crazy stuff. I think Kevin will find it very hard to remain in his job if Ryan does go to the UK. I still hope he won't.

“as would most people”? What empirical research have you conducted to arrive at this conclusion? “None” is the answer.

Even the Sindo readers don’t want him back on air, and that’s despite all the cheerleading going on there in his behalf.

I think Kevin will get a raise if Ryan moves to UK media

What’s hilarious about this is Tubs had no time for Morgan prior to this, as he thought he was nasty towards his good friend (who he met ONCE) Meghan Markle. The levels of hypocrisy are mind-bogglingly deliciously bonkers. 🙄

To what do Tubridy fans (well, perhaps only Tubridy himself) listen to now that he's off-air?

Regards...jmcc

why? You move on and upwards. How do you feel about Dee Forbes she retained her job for 7 years!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

They're well met so.

I can image RT wading into some vengeful Ireland bashing paid for by some shady Cayman residing British billionaire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement