Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Possibly more pertinently, he did on the pitch during the actual game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Yes he can. English mum makes him eligible and he only has 3 Senior caps for Ireland. When he has 4 then he's ineligible to move.

H'mm reading now his 'friendly' match appearance could count so now I'm unsure! He won't switch though - I'm sure of that.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

According to the bbc he reported for duty, was assessed by our own medical team, and ruled out.

• Advertisement

He definitely met up with the squad. I saw a video on Twitter of him arriving to the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I reckon this is pretty close to the mark. If we had put ourselves in a position where these games were do or die we would have kept him in the squad to potentially use in the last half hour against the Dutch, at a minimum.

As it is, if there is any doubt resting is the prudent move for everyone concerned.

It's never happening - Irish through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Read rule IV of the picture from McDonnell’s tweet.

he can’t move now unless he decided to go to CAS which he won’t cause he doesn’t want to move anyway. He’s just becoming slightly injury prone.

• Advertisement

Back in Jack's day it would have been the medical staff sent home not Ferguson. : P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Ferguson's absence is not going to impact the France result. We all know what's going to happen:

We'll graft hard, carry a threat whenever we get the ball, generally give a good account of ourselves, but without actually hitting the net, and then in the 75th minute Rabiot or Tchouameni will take on a shot from 30 yards that Bazunu won't deal with and France will win 1-0.

Might have a header from a corner saved late on.

And then instead of repeating the gutsy performance against a Netherlands side that's very beatable because they're being managed by a court jester, we'll phone it in against them and lose 2-1.

Interesting that no one was called up to replace him. My prediction for what Kenny would have lined up with on Thursday would have been:

...........................Bazunu

Browne Collins Duffy O'Shea Stevens

Ogbene Molumby Cullen Knight

..........................Ferguson

With Ferguson now out I assume Idah will be the one that's gonna come in and play that lone CF role.

Kind of strange that this slipped past Brighton. Surely EPL clubs perform their own assessments after every game, and before releasing their expensive assets for international duty?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How do you know it slipped passed Brighton? Their medical team would have been in contact with the FAI's and more than likely gave them all the info needed for their own assessment.

it wouldn’t have got past them. They have to release players called up to the medical staff of international teams for assessment. before that clubs abused their right not to release players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was wondering if Bazunu's form was still as bad as last year (watched a lot of Southampton's matches last year and he was awful), so the recent 0-5 made be search for the highlights and goals, and I'm afraid that he's still awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDdPw8PtRdk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If Kellegher was playing any wat regularly then maybe. Don't think management trust Travers so don't foresee any change unless Bazunu loses his place at club level

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It shouldn't be as Kelleher isn't playing at all, and Travers isn't as good as either of them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Travers should be given another chance. He's playing at the same level as Bazunu and ended the 21/22 season with the Championship Golden Glove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Bazunu is genuinely awful for Saints. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Don't have issue with Bazunu and should he be starting. He has way to go yet no question.

However, before anyone thinks he is finished (lets face it it gets bit crazy in here at times) he is still the youngest keeper in Championship by about 8 months and the rest are least year or older. From a goalie point of view he is still very young.

I don't see any keeper doing well at Southampton atm unless they splash the cash for a good experienced keeper or a good keeper that's got a presence about him. Someone that's gonna speak his mind and boss the defence. Basically Bournemouth bringing in Neto last season for example.

They appointed a manager whose idea of defending is you score two and we'll score three. If you've got a defensively weak manager and a weak defensive then that's a recipe for disaster unless you got the proper personal between the sticks. Don't think Bazunu has the personality or that grittiness about him right now for a team that's defensively weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

More like one of the midfielders will fcuk up and give away an easy goal like Cullen did V France in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

was starting to really looking forward to the games , with Ferguson , you got to feal for Kenny, given what he has now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oh come on, at some point in time results have to matter. How long are we going be giving the benefit of the doubt because we all know this will be used as yet another excuse for Kenny.

Sorry but for me, if we are truly done and dusted after this window he should go.

He will be gone if we don't get anything from this set of fixtures.

Dutch playing Greece tomorrow night seems to have gone a bit under the radar. A Dutch win probably best for us. Assuming we could then beat them on Sunday (which is obviously unlikely but they haven't been great in the group so far).

I can't see him being gone after this set of fixtures unless we see performances like Greece away. Play like that and both teams are gonna rip us apart.

Given our chances of finishing second are slim to none then anything which prevents Greece from finishing second is good for us. Don't want them qualifying automatically which puts into the League A play off spots.

Not that our chances of getting a play off spot are looking good atm. Still early to call but these games will bring us past the half way mark and give us a better picture of whether we're gonna make them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No way, that fella has little or no composure. How many mistakes has Travers made in his few starts for Ireland? There was a reason Bournemouth got rid of him fairly quickly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I think it'll come down to results more than performance this window. If we lose both games then qualification is gone. And given that Euro 2024 was his target, I think they'll pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kenny will be gone at the end of this campaign unless we manage to qualify, which is fair enough, he’s had enough time and has repeated the same mistakes.

But he has definitely had more than his fair share of bad luck, and Fergusons unavailability is just the latest.

Being honest, Ferguson or no Ferguson this week is likely to end with 2 losses anyway. Both teams are far stronger than Ireland. But you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, anything less than 3 points out of this window is fairly certain to end our slim chances - so in that event, we’d then be better off letting him go and giving the end of the campaign to whoever their shout for the next chap is, so they can settle in a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Netherlands are shite though. Yes they have better players, were a shootout away from a world cup semi final, but they're dreadful, and Koeman has them playing badly too. They're less than the sum of their parts, and their parts, with a few exceptions are not what they used to be.

Netherlands is a game that even as an underdog, we should be going out trying to beat them and not this safety first, 5 at the back containment bollox with endless sideways passing we've done.

A loss against France is fine, but a win against Netherlands and Greece is a must for Kenny to be remotely considered for the future

You would need a sending off for Holland/France to have any sort of chance of a result. Wind up opponents maybe? Make it fast, make it frantic.

Ireland are just too easy to play against, as simple as that. Probably the most passive Irish side I can ever remember, and that is not on about the quality of player.

The attitude is all wrong, there is not enough aggression and closing down - simple stuff. If you are depending on League Two McClean aged 34 - as the main fella show some fire you know you are fairly fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would say the Netherlands are shite by their own standards, rather than just generally a bad team. But as you say they have better players playing regularly in top level competitions across the board. They should be 100% regarded as favourites.

We can get a result definitely, we will need to be at our very best and will probably need some luck too. Winning shouldn’t be an expectation imo.

I think they might make their decision about a whether or not to renew his contract alright if we lose both games but don't see them sacking him there and then.

Don't think they'll do that until the end of the campaign in November or if they do push him out before then it's like to be after Greece at home in October.

Whatever about having to pay him off, supposedly it's three months pay, but it being the FAI I'd say they haven't a scooby doo about who they'd even approach about the job now that Carsley is sticking with the English FA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I fear a real hammering against France lads. I am normally optimistic but have feeling in my gut.

Please Lord let me be wrong

This not a shite squad by Dutch standards or anyone’s really.

I wouldn't that worried. We'll probably put men behind the ball unlike the Dutch who they ripped asunder. Can see us giving away two soft goals and losing 2-0.

• Advertisement

Kelleher seems to pick up a lot of knocks.

Assume Egan might be fit if he's talking about a CB playing RWB being a strong consideration. With that in mind would say we'll see:

............................Bazunu

O'Shea Collins Duffy Egan Stevens

Ogbene Molumby Cullen Knight

.............................Idah

Think with Stevens showing a bit of consisting fitness wise having played 90s every game for Stoke this season he'll come into the starting XI.

Would have had said Browne would start RWB but if Egan is fit and after those comments think we'll see O'Shea playing RWB. Also means you'll have a proper defender in that position if Collins steps out of defence with the ball. O'Shea can drop back in to cover him.

I looked at the anytime goalscoring odds (France v Ireland) there on a certain Irish bookmaker that likes the 'banter'. Kept scrolling through the French names.

First Irish name I came to was - Will Keane.

Jayus.....

Could also see O'Shea at CB in place of Duffy, with Omobamidele at RWB for the extra pace he has, since whoever is there will be up against Mbappe.

Fact I can see us camped in and around our 18 yard box for most the night don't see pace being an issue. You've also got Ogbene who'll probably spend most the night coming back to help out with Mbappe.

Think Duffy is gonna start because his backs to the wall type defending is what we're likely to be doing against France.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have said Duffy or Egan as the forwards are going to be starved of service. More likely a set piece for us.

Sigh. Not looking forward to it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

said it here loads that squad , minus Ferguson , Pep himself would struggle to get a tune out of, given whats available, never mind qualifications - I grew up on the great Irish teams , who always had at least 6 quality players , and the rest gave 100% , since 2002 , its been tough (been polite)

Katie McCabe nominated for the Ballon d'Or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Squad's fine.

Manager's an idiot. They've lost 3 from 4 under him.

Celtic made a reported enquiry about Kelleher on deadline day. What is that about? We are supposed to believe that Celtic are willing to break their transfer record by 5 million odd to sign an untried goalie.

kelleher is in limbo I fear. Not even Chelsea would meet the current ask price for kelleher. If kelleher doesn’t get the europa league games this year it’ll put the tin hat on it.

Liverpool obviously very happy to have him as a solid backup, but it's probably time for him to get an exit strategy sorted.

January loan for him would be ideal. Play the Europa League group stages and the early EFL (and maybe FA) cup rounds, and then head off for more week-in-week-out experience for the latter half of the season in the Championship (most likely) with a view to a good level permanent move next year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement