Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What he could have done would be to take the job and then set up a direct debit to LGBT charities - funnel sone of the funds back there they can be used (although who knows? Perhaps he has and doesn't want the Saudis to know?)

On those wages he can spare it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

£218mill bid in for Salah apparently 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's a PR disaster for Henderson. And it's the international break so it's the big football story of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Keeping Salah, getting Nunez firing and getting Champions League football is more important for me than any number the Saudis can offer. Now is not the time to miss out on Champions League football again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I agree even with the numbers being talked about we'd be mad to let our best attacker go at this stage with no way of even attempting to replace him.

If the Saudis want him this badly now they'll want him next summer. We cannot miss out on top 4 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I say we give them the same deal Fulham gave Bayern: if we can find a suiable replacement before the transfer window closes, sure.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Feels like the only reason the bid is that high(if true) is that Liverpool won’t be able to replace him. I don’t expect them to come in with a hefty bid next summer that gives us a couple of months to source a replacement, wouldn’t surprise me if they do come in early to come in at around 50 mil.

I know people scoff at the idea but I find it difficult to believe that the Saudi League transfer strategy doesn’t consider the effect on Newcastle.

I'd say a massive benefit of living over there is basically escaping the attention of the media.

You become irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The Saudis really are distorting the whole football landscape, under normal circumstances I'd be very confident of Salah staying for the duration of his contract and with how the rebuild is going we'd have a decent shot at the title next season, but, with Salah likely to go next summer, that will set up back big time, as his goals and assists are huge for us, even when his general play isn't great, he still comes up with a goal or assist. I don't think Salah really wants to go to the Saudi league as I think he'd prefer to stay in Europe to compete for the CL, but, I think the Saudis will eventually offer so much for him that FSG won't be able to turn them down, at that point Salah would have no real option but, to accept their offer. Normally, we'd extend his contract and he'd finish his top level career with us, but, with the Saudis in the picture that's unlikely to happen.

As the highest profile Arab Muslim player in the world, he couldn't really be seen to turn them down, non Arab Muslim players can turn them down without any consequence, Salah would be expected to take the offer or face the potential of the Arab world turning against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Jordan Henderson. a fall from grace like no other former Liverpool captain.

essentially, his ego couldn't take declining and not being automatic first choice. he sold his reputation, his legacy with the fans and his morals for football every week, and to be even wealthier than he already is.

and to think so many, me included, thought he was being dealt a rough hand when we wouldn't originally give him the new contract he wanted.

He's a charlatan of a man. He is the personification of the virtue-signalling cesspit that we now live in. He will say whatever he needs to say in order to find favour with those he believes matter, but it's all for the sake of self-preservation and raising his own profile and self-worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Henderson says showing support for LGBT would be disrespectful to Saudi culture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Henderson saying if one person asked him to stay at Liverpool he would have, feck off lad a 33 year old man looking to be mollycoddled.

He could have went to the US to escape the media, even went to play in another European league. He probably didn't realise the uproar his move would make and only now dawning on him why there has been so much about his move in particular compared to others like Fabinho, Firmino Mane, etc. The big difference between Henderson and the others that went is that Henderson set himself up as a spokesperson for minorities, the LGBT community in particular, the rest didn't, so anything he says now comes across as insincere and hollow. He has done irreparable damage to his reputation and probably realising that now, but, too late at this stage.

Saying he felt unwanted like he wasn't the bloody captain

It's also a lie. He's the captain. You think there isn't open communication between him and Klopp over the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jack747

Henderson is an absolute utter disgrace. What a disaster of an interview from him.

I was disgusted with him from day 1 when the move was talked and this confirms it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I want so much to disagree with you... but I don't. Such a disappointing end to an amazing journey. I saw the article this morning and my reaction was "meh, don't care". Seeing a few snippets, it's clearly grade A bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

That Henderson interview reminds me of Marie Bailey, Deirdre Conroy and Prince Andrew ones. Wtf was he thinking. 😂 I've no idea how he sat there and thought what he was saying was going to help his situation. Talk about digging your own grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Salah is one of the top 3 forwards in the world, being in the CL is worth 100m to the club and he is our best chance of been in it again, so anything below £250m straight shouldn't be even replied to. He wont be sold anyway not even at that fee, you cant replace him. Look at him on Sunday, hes has hungry and determined as when he joined us, he doesn't know how to give less than 100%.

Some truly astounding quotes in that interview, Henderson comes across as either extremely disingenuous or extremely dim.

In particular talking about how before the Qatar World Cup he heard lots of horrible things were over there. But when he arrived everyone seemed nice and happy…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Which just goes to show how empty his support was in the first place. Happy to say whatever benefits his image at the time than any actual beliefs.

He’s captained Liverpool to every major trophy, and has been an England captain at major finals. He’s already extremely wealthy and would have easily been able to make serious cash without moving after retirement, through sponsorships, media appearances, coaching etc. There is zero need for him to go and play there apart from pure greed.

Has massively gone down in my estimation, and his story in the athletic hasn’t helped.

No way can we let Salah leave now, as much as anything I think it would kill Nunez. So much of Darwin's play comes from Salah, he could have had a hat trick of assists to him against Villa.

If we absolutely have to we can take a king's ransom for him next season (and throw it at Napoli for Kvaratskhelia please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why would the Muslim world turn against him. He is playing for one of the biggest clubs in the World and in doing so has brought more positive relations to the Western world for Muslims

I don't care as much about the greed.

It's the rank hypocrisy of his moral stances.

It would be seen as disrespectful to turn the offer down, especially if Liverpool had accepted an offer, unlike non Arab players, he has family still living there, and probably eventually will move back home at some point. Non Arab players don't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I doubt that it would seen as disrespectful. I assume a lot more Egyptians and Muslims follow the Premier League rather than the Saudi league and I really dont think turning down a move to stay with one of the most iconic clubs in the world would cause him issues when he wants to move home!

As has been stated already Mo Salah will do a lot more for the Muslim image by staying where he is than moving to Saudi with all the other mercenaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

i didn't give a **** about Fab going there, Firmino had his time done and the very best of luck to him, a liverpool legend, Mane wasn't ever our player and is a practising Muslim so meh, but Henderson, the club captain to come out with all that speil in that interview??!! he's brunt some bridges now, f**k him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think that ‘disrespectful Mo’ thing is a bit of a stretch. He’s a top level professional, and I think could just make a respectful comment that the time is not yet right for him to go, that he still has things he wants to achieve before he ‘comes home’.

He’s almost certain to go there eventually anyway, so it’s not a total snub.

With only a year left next summer, he’s in a great position to control his future how he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah but we needed Henderson for his experience! Like feck we did,good riddance to him and his pointy finger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Can anyone post the Henderson article text (not sure if thats allowed anymore?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Kvaratskhelia is a great shout. What a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's linked in this article on Football365 - who do a fairly brutal takedown of the interview.

Doesn't reflect great on Henderson in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Id say Doak is going to be playing most of the EL games. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he does.

Adrian really shouldn't be getting minutes for us anyway unless someone else is injured, Alisson stating with Kelleher getting every backup minute available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

"Look, it's not easy.

Try maintaining a house in Cheshire, a house in Jadda, housekeepers in both, run two Bentleys, and now I have to buy new plain laces for my boots too, and all on 25million a year.

You try it sometime"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ah look, Henderson has shown himself up throughout this whole charade, but he absolutely did not say that. I'm not sure why we need to lie to make it worse than it already is. Like I think his response is pitiful, but how you are characterising it, is flatly untrue.

'I wouldn’t rule that out. But at the same time, what I wouldn’t do is disrespect the religion and culture in Saudi Arabia. If we’re all saying everybody can be who they want to be and everybody is inclusive, then we’ll have to respect that. We’ll have to respect everyone. And by doing something like that, if that did disrespect the religion, then no, I’m not going to do that. But if the opportunity comes where I can do it and it doesn’t, then yeah, because that’s my values.'

Only problem with him as a replacement is he's yet another heavily left sided player, so really doesn't replace Mo. With all of Diaz, Nunez, Jota, and Gakpo favouring the left when they're playing wide it becomes a major pileup, and still leaves Mo's position vacant.

I genuinely don't see how that's different to what I said

We don't really have the midfield personnel for it right now but another really nice thing about Szobo is that he can play the RW spot too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Advertisement

I can't see Klopp letting the owner accept the offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'd never thought I'd laugh at a post comparing Jordan Henderson to Padraig Flynn but here we are....

Utterly depressing stuff from Henderson....the irony is that if he just kept his head down (behind a large wall of dollars for example) and kept his mouth shut, most people would have forgotten about him.

This interview has re-opened the whole issue again and further tarnished his legacy and reputation.

Even P.Flynn knew when to stop digging...I have a feeling Jordan hasn't reached rock bottom yet in terms of PR disasters

I think this is the much bigger issue at stake here now. Its one thing losing a world class player like Salah but if they accept an offer no matter how big it is, what impact will that have on Klopp? He has said in no uncertain terms that Salah will not be leaving. If he is undermined then I would expect that he will start to question his own position. I think he knows what he is doing and his public stance on Salah is thinly veiled threat to FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure people said klopp wouldn't like losing the captain and see how that went,he has alot more say in the running of the club than many fans give him credit for imo.

Bit different losing someone half way through a transfer window when you have time to replace them than having your best player sold when you can't replace them for half the season.

That's great in a pinch - particularly during AFCOn - but given what he offers to midfield I wouldn't like that to be our solution to losing Mo. Especially with Diaz stepping up an extra gear this year - would be very hard to fit in both Kvaratskhelia and Diaz, both want to occupy exactly the same space.

Yeah absolutely agree, I know that Klopp is integral to business decisions and no doubt Henderson would not have been sold if Klopp had not okayed it. However, £200m plus is a business decision that FSG might be tempted to over rule Klopp on and that is what I am concerned about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus, the more you read that interview the more you mouthing "Jesus Jordan, STFU". So many contradictions in every part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

fbref.com does a statistical comparison showing similar players to a particular player. Number 1 for Salah is Moussa Diaby at Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thanks, but I think the reference went over a lot of younger heads 😔

• Advertisement
Advertisement