Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

we got an email stating "ready to connect" in mid July,

surprised as the nearest pole is 1km away along a rural lane!.....went with SKY to integrate TV & internet onto the one payment....was far from straightforward as they disputed our "ready to connect" status but couldnt get line to house without an order being placed....a bit of wrangling between NBI and sky got our area surveyed and an order placed eventually!......released notice today that the "access provider" says our order will be delayed....its not the end of the world but curious as to what the holdup is and what the term " access provider" refers to?!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

NBI is the access provider. Sky is the service provider.

brilliant! thought it might have been a 3rd party like KN netwotks but at least their contactable👍

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Access provider is more likely open eir.. Ie nbi need access to duct or poles to tavel the 1km to your house.

In that case, open eir would be the infrastructure provider. NBI is still the access provider.

• Advertisement

not sure exactly,met with KN circet rep, over 20 poles will be required, then ducting into the house due to elevated location......was advised to liase with local landowners to give a heads up and outline (with access) a preferred route for ducting😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Connacht Tribune reporting "Údarás na Gaeltachta hosts new broadband equipment to accelerate national roll-out"

National Broadband Ireland and Údarás na Gaeltachta have announced a partnership to support the rollout of high-speed fibre broadband to homes, businesses and farms in Gaeltacht areas.

Údarás, the State’s key authority for the development of the Gaeltacht area, is providing parcels of land at key locations for the installation of the core fibre optic equipment to facilitate the delivery of high-speed broadband.

The availability of these sites is allowing NBI – the company rolling out the new high-speed fibre broadband network under the Government’s National Broadband Plan – to build Equipment Accommodation Modules (EAMs) in key locations so they can efficiently and effectively carry out their work with minimum disruption to the surrounding community who will ultimately benefit from the high-speed fibre network.

Údarás is currently facilitating National Broadband Ireland equipment on their premises at Salerno Business Park in Aille West and plans are in place for further deployments at other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The Access provider would describe Open Eir and access would be the industry term for what Open Eir rent to the operators. NBI would be the operator or the Network provider.

The Access provider would describe Open Eir and access would be the industry term for what Open Eir rent to the operators. NBI would be the operator or the Network provider.

I'm not sure why we're in a pissing contest over this, but there are three access providers in Ireland: open eir, SIRO and NBI. (Maybe three and a half if you count Virgin, but I don't really). Retail service providers rely on access providers for connectivity to end-customers' premises.

The industry term for "pole and duct access" is CEI, or civil engineering infrastructure. The difference between an access network and CEI is pretty well understood. In the case we're discussing, the service provider is waiting for the access provider (in this case NBI). If the access provider is in turn waiting for the CEI provider to get its finger out, that's just one of a number of possible reasons why the service provider might be waiting for the access provider.

So, you're right: "access" is what open eir (and SIRO, and NBI) provide to RSPs. They also provide CEI to RSPs and to other access providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, just over 12 months on NBI broadband with vodafone, so had to go shopping for an alternative package. Decided to port to Eir, and so far, what a mistake!

Received my modem in the post last week, and a scheduled "install" for I think it was the 4th or so. Now, I expected this scheduled install to be me just replacing the modem, so that was fine. Yesterday, my internet went down, and by chance, I also received a welcome email from Eir. A bit miffed, I assumed the port had happened, so swapped the router expecting eir service to kick in, which it didnt.

I rang vodafone cust care, who informed me (despite me saying I was prob in the middle of a port), that there was a fault on the fibre nbi side affecting multiple customers and it should be resolved in a few hours. Still suspicious, but i left it, and then later that day rang them back, only this time for them to tell me that my vf account was ceased and I was ported to Eir.

So, rang eir, using the account number specified in my welcome email, and the eir automated answering service kept telling me this was a prepaid account and the call centre was closed for the evening (about 5pm). Multiple times, tried to contact them via different means to no avail, and then contacted them on twitter and facebook (i work from home, this was important for me). Facebook replied and a message to and fro established that my order had only gone through "today" and it would take 24 to 48 hrs for it to come into effect/go live.

Outraged, terrible service, no notice, and potentially 2 days loss of service (and income for me), but they were having none of it. All lines were closed, so rang them again this morning, got no satisfaction, was told order only went through yesterday and it would take 24 to 48hrs to port (despite the fact i received the eir modem last week in the post). Asked to get to a supervisor, told that they wouldnt be able to do anything anyway, but I insisted. Then I was told they would ask for a supervisor, but it was likely the supervisor was busy and may not be able to take my call. In that instance they would then escalate it and the supervisor would call me back within 24 to 48 "working hours", which would be Tuesday at the latest!

Service came back up with eir about an hour later, but christ what a crappy service, be warned for those looking to port over NBI (although might not be nbi only).

Funny thing was i got a missed call from vodafone during my call with eir cust support. I expect it was to try and retain me. I wonder was the delayed "order" to deter the vodafone retention team, or was it actually just incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

I'd say the delay was incompetence. Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

NBI provider switches take literal seconds. Whatever the problem was, it almost certainly had nothing to do with NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Why would anyone choose EIR on NBI? A disgusting rotten company who fought tooth and nail to prevent broadband rollout in Ireland and robbed customers blind since the days of Dial-up, did everything to overcharge and provide the worst possible service, asset stripped and instead of investing into their network delivered dividends to foreign shareholders. The same company who still to this day abuse their monopoly, I get 15mbps on EIR ADSL2+ but could only ever get 9mbps on Sky or Vodafone. I have my Fibre DP installed outside my house by NBI now and on a Oct-Dec 23 of a timescale, but other parts of the DA have no DP's up yet but fibre ran everywhere even in parts the adjoining DA which is down for 2025. Looking forward to permanently finishing with EIR forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gramsci Babeuf

Absolutely 100%. I couldn't agree more. Its the reason why I avoid them like the plague. Vodafone aren't much better in my experience either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marvar88

Hi,

I have been watching this thread from afar for a while. Our date on the website is July-September 2024. With imagine at the moment, we are not massively heavy users so they are fine for now but obviously want to move full fibre. For anyone who has joined through the NBI rollout which company has proven decent to work with? I have a low opinion of Eir from dealing with them but what are the others like?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

I would recommend Digiweb or Arden broadband. Have been with both on NBI and their customer, billing and technical support are great - both Irish based contact centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gramsci Babeuf

I went with Digiweb. I have had no problems with them so far. The fact that their customer care is based in Ireland and isn't subbed out to a call centre in Bangladesh really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Id recommend Arden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Not sure where your based but I went with westnet no problems whats so ever

Would 100% recommend and have done to my family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Biffo1991

Hi All,

A question someone may be able to give guidance to or suggestions please.

I live in a 43 house housing estate, their was 22 houses completed prior to 2010 and the next 21 were completed from 2019 onwards up till recently.

I moved into my house in April 2020. Their is KN guys putting down fibre cables in the estate today as I was chatting them, however when I checked the NBI website the rollout is only for the first 16 houses in the estate and the rest of the estate is not on the national broadband plan, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It would make sense when they are installing the cables that would be installed for all the houses.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

So are the 21 houses completed in 2019 shown on the openeir broadband rollout map?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

I think i'm in the same estate as yourself - according to the openeir broadband we're on the roadmap for upgrade for FTTH and that includes all houses

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Gone live since last year using Vodafone, contract up in November so I rang sky to see what price they would give me? The guy i spoke to said sky isn’t live in my area which I thought was very odd. I checked the nbi website and its list of providers sky is one of them? Youghal area, did I just get through to someone who isn’t aware and try again or I can order it online ? Happen anyone else?

I'm in Corr Na Meala. I checked the openeir broadband and just seen the below:

Where did you see about FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0905/1403487-national-broadband-plan/

It says their not included in the national rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

yep same estate...

on openeir site select Broadband checker - once u put ur eircode in there it should confirm that 100MB is available - there will then be a link below that to check for FTTH - open that and put in eircode in and should confirm - as far as i know thats why the KN guys were there yesterday - its their second visit so hopefully will all be connected soon

Brilliant, checked it out there now and seems good. Thanks for that 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

I got installed about 3 weeks ago after months of a saga to get a pole installed, etc.

Finally rid of Imagine's garbage LTE service and went with Vodafone. Installers were great and I asked could the ONT be put straight into server cabinet and they obliged. Didn't use the provided modem as I patched straight from the ONT into my pfSense VM. Thing has been absolutely rock solid since I got it. Might have gone a little OTT on the downloading though :)

Only remaining frustration is that I require a static IP for work. Vodafone can't assign a static IP as my order is still marked as open despite having it for weeks now. I've been ringing every 2 to 3 days and it's been escalated to the highest level but still no resolution. I must say, Vodafone are quite possibly the worst company I've dealt with in terms of providing info, getting support etc.

Anyhow, aside from all that, I'm so chuffed to finally have a 1G fibre connection out in the sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Vodafone are downright appalling at resolving any issue like stuck orders, open orders , any problem on their system. They’re nice and polite which is great but their ability to resolve any issue takes forever and you’d lose the will to live.

Advertisement