Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We badly need an Uber service in this country. But again plenty of " reasons " spouted out by the Taxi unions as to why that shouldn't and can't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know why there's such a difference in prices? Hotel in the South West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Down to availability. That could be the last single room available in that hotel so demands a premium while there could be lots of double rooms available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for that nugget of advice. I went back today as I wanted to ask to see what they say. When charged 2.50, i said that's a big jump in price. Replied to me that it was the vat increase that caused it.

So i asked, how come the increase was about five or so percent but it had gone up 25%, and shouldn't have gone up anyway as its already 23%

Shs shrugged her shoulders and didn't answer. It is of course as we all know, just pure gouge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Well done for challenging them on it. Also leave a review on Tripadvisor or somewhere. That generally makes them uncomfortable when they are named and shamed. We don't do that enough in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭randd1

On the whole VAT thing. It's actually the consumer that pays the VAT, not the lad providing the service. The lad providing the service is only acting as middleman for revenue.

So say, you get some grub for €20. The vat on that was 9% (the most recent VAT rate for food and drink), which is €1.80, which was included in the price. So that's €18.20 that wasn't going to Revenue, which is a mixture of profit and expense.

The VAT goes back up to 13.5% (which is what it used to be before the industry kicked up blue murder and got it reduced). Now that would be €2.70, which would leave you with €17.30 that wasn't going to Revenue, which is a mixture of profit and expense. Fair enough, raise the price a small bit to compensate.

However, raising it to €25, means more VAT of €3.40 in total, but which also handily leaves €21.60 left over after VAT between profit and expense, which is also €3.40 more that is profit/expense than what you were originally getting when you were charging €20 in the first place.

By the way, the actual price change to get to the €18.20 level after VAT that you used to have when you were charging €20, before you shoved up the price due to VAT increase in this example? €21.05. Not €25.

It's price gouging, pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Your figures are off.

€20 inclusive of 9% VAT is €18.35 to the proprietor and €1.65 to Revenue.

€20 inclusive of 13.5% VAT is €17.62 to the proprietor and €2.38 to Revenue.

€20.82 is the correct total price after the VAT rate increased from 9% to 13.5% if the proprietor just passed on the increase and didn't bump up the price any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Got an email today from the hairdresser the young lad goes to. Due to the vat increase his haircut will be going up from €16 to €18, they pointed out that they held off the increase until after the back to school rush which was nice of them. It certainly didn't come down when the vat was decreased, it was €10 pre covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭McGrath5

There's a Covid style horse box trailer not to far from me, I go in the odd time for a coffee but earlier this week I was going to get a ham and cheese toastie but at €12 that's way too steep. They can keep it at those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Went into one place for a drink yesterday. Looked at the menu out of curiosity. Any burger dish is now nearly 20e. Soup was 7.50. Didnt even look at the rest and said to myself special occasions only from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

My hairdresser has put the prices up 3 times this year already (from 42 to 48 euro), and that's before the vat change. Fully expecting 50 euro charge next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Same as yourself. Kids are raised so the wife and I used to go for something to eat about 2 or 3 Sundays every month and we have stopped because a carvery is 18 to 19 everywhere and was charged 14 for a full Irish in a cafe a few weeks ago. Can't justify paying those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Used to go for a local carvery. The price has gone up around 20% in the last year. Not paying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

E7.50 a pint of Guinness in the ivy on Dawson Street Saturday.. . Lol !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

7 Euro pint is standard now in Dublin pubs.

A lot of people have decided not to pay this. City centre pub, the Bailey ... 10 staff.... it was almost empty on Saturday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Was in a pub in Carlow. They serve food, carvery and other hot dishes.

I noticed people helping themselves to cordial drinks and water from a table.

The owner told me, people need a drink with their meal, and they wont pay extra for this. I wonder is this common?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Paid 7.50 for a pint in a hotel in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. This was out at Clare Hall/Coolock not D4 or middle of Temple Bar location, they didn't even have the decency to leave a jar of Vaseline out 🙊😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Carvery was always overpriced for what it is, could never understand why anyone would pay for it.

As others have said, the price increases long predate the VAT rate going back up, that's just going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I used to meet three of my friends for dinner in a local restaurant every single Wednesday as they did a great early bird and a bottle of house wine was only 15 quid. They did away with the early bird after Covid and the wine prices started creeping up by a euro or so every month or two. So we started only going every other week. Then the a la carte prices suddenly went up a blanket 25% literally overnight, so we dropped back to once a month. Last time we were there the wine (still the same bottle) had gone up to €21 and the food was muck. So we stopped going altogether and I'm sure we're not the only ones.

I love eating out and used to go out for lunch once or twice a week too but I just can't justify it anymore the way prices are gone. A bowl of soup in my local is now €7.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you want burger and chips now it makes much more sense to go to supermacs or other chippers. The extra cost is not worth the nicer surroundings or better presentation of the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Water free - absolutely normal at carvery

Cordials free with carvery - bit of a Midlands thing I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Or you could cook it yourself for less than a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Bought 2 fillet steaks yesterday in Tesco for 10 euro! Dinner at home it is

• Attending a conference in the Radisson Athlone next weekend. B&B is setting me back €512 for the two nights (some occupancy). Out of curiosity I checked what I would have to pay in a hotel in Norway for exact same time. I chose a nice hotel I have stayed in before for comparison, right on the prime waterfront of Bergen, beside the airport bus terminal, top location. The cost would be €420 flexible rate , including breakfast, afternoon coffee & waffles, and evening buffet meal. Never had to eat out during my past stay here. So, Norway, a country which has been notoriously expensive, is now actually more affordable to holiday in than Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it can happen, uber just need to abide by the regulations.

nothing stopping them from setting up in the morning and these mythical taxi unions would have the potential for more members.

it's uber who are deciding themselves not to operate here.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Uber cannot operate their ride sharing business as it does in the UK/US, Irish users can only use the Uber app to book a regular taxi, like all the others on the road. This is not Uber’s choice, they are banned from providing their usual service here by Irish legislation, though Uber lobbied the NTA, they could not get their, nor the Government's support for their licensing application.

Which is a shame, having used the service a number of times in the UK/US, I thought it was a fantastic alternative to stuffy, expensive cabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Post-VAT reinstatement menu in a very bog-standard pub in Templeogue. Absolute cloud cuckoo land prices. 11 quid for garlic mushrooms that are straight out of the freezer? Get the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’d walk up and leave. Would perhaps also mention the prices are a farce.

€19.50 for chicken curry 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I went on the website for that hotel and noticed there's a military/government rate for the rooms. Never heard of anything like that before.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the US that's totally normal but it's not something you see elsewhere much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

2 things there. The single room is nearly sold out so you're paying the top price as a lot (not all) hotels sell rooms n blocks i.e block 1 is €x when that sells out block 2 is €x plus 10%. Also hotels dont like single rooms outside of corporate as they spend less at the bar, restaurant etc than a couple.

Advertisement