Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harassment or just kids being kids?

Options
  • 05-09-2023 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13 meeeeeeh

Hi everyone,

I know there's a similar thread floating about on the forum right now but just looking for some more advice/insight for my experience.

Since the beginning of summer my aunt has been subject to some verbal abuse by local kids and it's only escalating. It started off with just name calling but since then there's been 3 incidences where they've come in to the garden to kick the front door and just today we found the wheelie bin flung halfway down the road!

I've spoke to both the garda and one of the kids parents about the issue but that hasn't resolved anything, unfortunately.

Just wondering what the right approach is here. The obvious solution is to sell up and move elsewhere which is the plan but due to the house being acquired from a Will and split amongst several family members the solicitor has said it's a "complex case" so it could take a good while to resolve so just looking for any input to make the situation tolerable for the foreseeable future. My aunt would be nearing retirement age and she has fairly bad anxiety so this is getting to her quite a bit... Thanks in advance for any advice and input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Modulok

Harassment. Get a ring doorbell or Tapo camera, record the scummy antics, and name and shame on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Put up cameras.

Don't put footage of children online. Give it to gardai. Any kid coming into her house, kicking doors, taking away wheelie bins, can be identified then.

What ages are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 meeeeeeh

I did install a Ring doorbell for her which is how I identified one of the kids kicking the door, unfortunately the range doesn't capture motion where the bin would be left by the bin men so no idea who decided to do that one. May need to look into setting up another camera elsewhere on the property

• Jesus Christ definitely harassment and/or bullying. Little fcukers.

Have a ring doorbell installed. Managed to catch one of them kicking the door previously. Wouldn't be the type to post the footage around social media. Trying not to make the issue any worse than it already is. I did show the Gardaí the video when I went to the station and he was aware of the kid in the video, said he'd go talk to him in a view days but not sure that one ever happened lol.

One of the kids can't be any older than 6 or 7, from what I've been told the group ranges from that young up to about 10 years old.

• Advertisement

• sure what good would a garda talking to them do if the parents don’t give a damn. These yokes wouldn’t be afraid of God almighty letalone a garda who they’d be almost positive can’t (or won’t) do anything..!

that said go kick one of their doors or knock over a wheelie bin you’ll be taken.

Oh well, that completely changes things I'm afraid.

The age of criminal responsibility is 12, which means that before that age, children are incapable of committing crime. So nothing can be done legally.

best thing is to appeal to the parents, if they are decent and approachable.

worst thing that was ever done imo, raising the age to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If the parents don't care the gardai haven't a.hope.

I'm sorry your aunt is experiencing this.

Ive nothing to help, people like this are just beyond any type.of appeal to control their offspring.

I wouldn't get involved with the kids in any way..people like that have a habit of turning on the innocent party and making life very difficult for them through their lies. Awful to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It's starts with their parents, thats where I'd start.

I'd become and absolute pain in the balls for them, every time something occurs, I'd be knocking on their door to let them know what their little offspring has been upto.

I'd also be letting them known if they don't sort it out, the guards will be informed, the parents can pick up the slack then for their little scrotes.

• Advertisement

• Why can’t they? Is it legal to go around kicking peoples doors and knocking over their wheelie bins?

I hardly think so.

edit: nvm, just seen the chaps are 6-10 or so.

Yeah, same thing I was told by the guards. Just feel awful for her, she's been living in the area years and never been hassled or caused hassle for anyone.

Only ever managed to catch one of them in clear view of the camera so went to his parent but I've a good feeling a few of his friends are involved as well but no evidence of that and don't really wanna go making accusations with no proof for risk of causing more problems.

Any chance the parents will back you up? It's literally the only chance to stop them, unfortunately.

Why your aunt, so they do it to other people living there?

• Yup! Sorry, I just edited to say as much haha.

surely this could come down to a case of neglect on the parents side though? OP, I’d honestly ring Tusla or the likes and have them investigate. Parents who allow their children to behave in such a manner are very unfit ones.

I wouldn't put money on the parents taking the accusations too well. I don't know them myself but it'd be a slightly rougher area of Dublin where this is happening. Far from the worst area but not somewhere I'd want to draw attention to myself, personally.

For my aunt, she'd say it's only being herself targeted but hard to know. She'd keep herself to herself mostly so wouldn't know a lot of people in the local area to find out if this is happening to anyone else

Not sure Tusla would handle cases of Anti-social Behavior, would they? I get where you're coming from about neglect but wouldn't be an easy case to prove, I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Get a scary dog.

Ah I understand totally, seen it hundreds of times.

They will get bored of her eventually and move onto someone else, which isn't a lot of help to her right now.

Making things a bit more difficult for them can help. If she has railings/walk and a gate, get a lock for it. Any chance of putting the bins into one of those bin stores? They are expensive but I remember years ago kids used to take them and burn them every night, very annoying for everyone. There is also some kind of sticky paint that maybe she could put in top of the walls/railings, might be annoying enough to keep them away.

any interaction she has with these kids merely encourages them, it's great craic for them. I'm sorry she has to put up with these little feckers, you're getting no where when the parents don't care.

Yeah, I've said the best thing to do is not engage and she says she hasn't been but is a bit concerned that this has been going on for over 3 months now with no let up. And I know with Halloween coming up and them having access to fireworks/bangers that'll have her fairly fearful.

Started padlocking the gate after the most recent incident of the door kicking but it'd be low enough that it's still climbable but it's a deterrent nonetheless. In regards to the bin it wasn't a case of them coming in to the property to take it, it was left outside the house after the bin men collected it and she doesn't get home from work until the evening so not much that can be done there.

Just very annoying for anyone to be dealing with, really. With her anxiety I know this is very upsetting for her but feel like most options have been exhausted at this point besides abandoning ship and finding her a room to stay in until the house can be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭nachouser

Giving them chocolate didn't work out well for the other lad, so swerve that as an option.

It's really upsetting, especially for people living alone. She should definitely not engage with them. Try maybe the sticky stuff on railings, it might help.

kids under 12 just get away with anything, it's terrible, by the time they are 13 they have no fear.

Is there anyone that could stay for a few weeks with her?

Yeah, it's a shame. Crime is crime regardless of age, not saying we should be locking up children by any means but there should be a system in place to help steer kids in the right direction with therapy, social workers, psychiatrists etc.

I've been staying with her since the last incident with the door kicking but it's not a long term solution and obviously I can't be engaging with them either. The process of selling the house could take over a year due to it being left to the family in a Will and I can't imagine the toll it would take on her mental health if it was to persevere that long!

Seems a bit long to sell the house, surely they just need to put it up for sale as part of the estate of the deceased, then the money is divided?

Houses, particularly at the lower end of the market are still selling extremely well.

The hold up is in the fact that she wants to sell the house to then use the proceeds of the sale to buy a property elsewhere. The family members have all agreed to allowing that to go ahead but the solicitor is unsure of what tax implications will be involved as its akin to the family members forfeiting their share. I will say that this solicitor has been notoriously slow in the past. When the house was inherited it took him 2 years just to get the name change done on the deeds...

Oh lord, might be better for her mental health to change solicitors!

I hope those kids get bored/ or she gets to move soon

Haha yeah I told her to change solicitors or become such a pain in the current one's side that he expedites it just to get it over with.

Hopefully it'll start to settle down a bit as the weather gets colder 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Expedite the proceedings and sale and ignore them as much as possible,if its to be sold it will be a small problem dealing with 6-10 year olds and I wouldnt even consider drawing attention by approaching the parents of the children who will get bored with no attention. If the property is vacant it wont be as good for a sale, clearing out any build up of personal knick knacks and uneccessary stuff is good to open up the spaces for a sale and make it ready to go, but without making it look empty or unoccupied. I do not see why a relative would forfeit their share when she wont even stay there to benefit her solely?? Moving things along quickly benefits her and everyone it seems, unless she is trying to gain an advantage as you say she want to use the proceeds for a purchase, which sounds very odd given it sounds like the inheritance is due to a few people. Try get one of the relatives to stay with her or instead of her. All sounds odd to me. If the Solcitor doesnt know the tax implications, look them up online and hire someone who does know or pay to speak to an accountant. My opinion is any Solicitor who deals with conveyancing should know what the implications are.

FYI kids will knock on peoples doors to get a response, the angrier the response the better and the kids may just be playful and not even scrotes, kicking the door less so, but same intention. If the she was at work, who knows who dragged the bin down the street? just make a point of asking an immediate neighbour if they can bring it in or get the assistance of someone or take a day off on bin day or go in late or something. There are a good number of ways around dealing with this without blowing it up beyond what it needs to be, especially as the house is to be sold.

It's not so much as she's gaining an advantage, per se. The house was left to the sons and daughters of the parents, at one point or another all of them have lived there as it's been a family house for 30 odd years. All of them would be fairly close so there's no ill intentions and when the rest of the family heard about the going ons they encouraged her to sell and find somewhere new. The new property would then be left in my aunt's will to the remaining children.

Yeah, I totally get that. I've been guilty of a knick-knack myself as a kid. Just the frequency at which these things have been happening have been wearing on her. Good point about the neighbor, I've been considering knocking into them over the weekend and introducing myself.

• Advertisement

It's not so much as she's gaining an advantage, per se. The house was left to the sons and daughters of the parents, at one point or another all of them have lived there as it's been a family house for 30 odd years. All of them would be fairly close so there's no ill intentions and when the rest of the family heard about the going ons they encouraged her to sell and find somewhere new. The new property would then be left in my aunt's will to the remaining children.

Yeah, I totally get that. I've been guilty of a knick-knack myself as a kid. Just the frequency at which these things have been happening have been wearing on her. Good point about the neighbor, I've been considering knocking into them over the weekend and introducing myself.

Advertisement