Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Seen the trailer for FarmFlixs feature on Lisbeg Farms. Wondering how many cows they are putting through an 80 point/bale rotary?

And if I did have the money to justify it I would have a subscription before anyone gets there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I have followed their progress on farmflix, some operation, last vid I think they had 440 calved. Don't know what the final figure will be. 800 to 1100.?

Great family,.... he said if you want to go dairying or do something just do it, if you stay thinking about it you'll never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

I think he said a cow/ an acre and they have around 1000 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Le shovelle

Watched the last video on Sunday. They seem to have a very can do attitude. Massive undertaking. Wish them the best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

Are they still staying at the fattening cattle aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

I thought some some said last month that they have the dairy operation leased out now? Or did I mix that up with some one else.

they might have being better to build the numbers a bit more gradual. Going from 0 to 500 cows in one year is some feat and steep learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Originally it was ment to be this chap running the show

Was a 360 done and they went in-house, theirs stories about that place re been a ******w in the spring but that could be lads stirring, why you'd have farmflix in bollicking around the place would do my head in personally no need for it, the farm manager is the lad rambling away in alot of the videos hes not the owner

Even at 1000 cows that is pretty light numbers for a 80 bail rotary. Milked 1500 through one years ago but every milking was some slog.

Agree with you there jaymla, would have no cameras about for the first 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jack98

They went their separate ways the guy quoted in the screenshot I believe. You couldn’t give that fella enough work saw him on twitter in the spring claiming he was still a family farm operating 3 ‘units’ as they call them, what’s it all for?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Define family farm. It is a term I’ve had a problem with for some time now. Mainly because anyone and everyone claims to be a family farm, Larry Goodman could probably claim he has a family farm. But what is falsely sold by the media and supermarkets is something different.

may what point does it stop being a family farm?

• Advertisement

Farming 3/4 units under a company unbrella with 10+ employees can hardly be called a family farm can it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Very difficult to define 'family farm'. And that's before you get to what the wider public consider 'farming' versus 'factory farming'.

Had a man delivering heating oil recently and he told me he watches my YouTube channel.

"Thanks very much", I said.

"Ah yeah", he says, "What you show is real farming, proper farming from years ago. All that big modern stuff is not real farming. That's factory farming."

I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult. And I thought it best not to point out that selling imported oil is not "proper" heating from years ago either.

You'd wonder where some people think food comes from. Or oil for that matter.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

If he has two units/farms and 4 employees is it a family farm? What about one unit with 2 employees?

The term ‘family farm’ should be abolished as it’s too subjective. People say it as if it’s a unique term to differentiate from the factory farms. But I’d imagine 95% of the farms in Ireland are owned and run by one person so hardly need differentiating from factory farms.

Are pig and poultry factory farms?

At what point does a family farm become a factory farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd take it as a compliment. He's probably referring to Grassmen and Farmflix etc. just continually showcasing new machinery and huge SP's going around fields in circles.

Not many of the 'farming' channels actually have a focus on the livestock.

Well if I was farming with a family member and 1/2 employees you could still consider it a family farm even if you’re getting into big numbers but how could you still call it a family farm if after that I decided to rent 2/3 more units and employ a manager on each of them, probably another full time employee on each also and a roster of relief Milkers to cover aswell. That is a company not a family farm in my eyes, I was going to say business but all farms should be treated as businesses regardless of size.

But define big numbers. It’s all too vague and subjective. Maybe someone with a similar set up could run it with all family members. Is that a family farm then? Or is hired labour the issue? What about contractors doing all the work on a tillage farm and farmer doing frig all? I’m being pedantic I know.

One man running a farm with help from parents could manage up to 200 cows if set up correctly and with 1/2 employees 3/400 cows is what I was getting at but as I said when you add units and managers and employees that’s where I would draw the line with family farm. People can agree or disagree with that but that’s my take on it having milked cows for two men with such multiple unit operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

Would a family farm be one that operates with the majority of work being done by family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭kk.man

Kieran thanks for all those videos and the time you took to make them. Just watched your latest. I take my hat off to you ..I just wouldn't have the nerve to do them. I understand you not having time we could all do with that 'pallet' that father Phil is expecting anyday.

Looking forward to the resumption.

• Advertisement

Worked on a family farm in pigs. The father was the owner and still managed all the breeding and house movements and was well into his 70's. The son was the operator as such looking after staff, meal purchases and slurry applications with a side contracting operation of silage making with McHale balers. Staff employed was one Supervisor on the pig farm and an additional two full time employees, one dealing with the pigging sows and the other mostly cleaning and power washing.

Spent three years there and for as tough a business as pigs are it was brilliantly ran and organised. Would still call it a family farm, will go to the owner's grandson at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

@Siamsa Sessions suggest to stop reading the comments or develop a thicker skin. YouTube is a cesspit in general. I enjoy your short and snappy videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

YouTube is famous for the cun7ish comments.

If your videos were about water, thirsty men on YouTube would complain it was wet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My skin is plenty thick and I read the comments as I appreciate the time people take to write them. There’s some great ideas from people in the comments too.

I didn’t pause the videos just because someone was mean to poor little me. I only mentioned the insults at the end to remind people to be nice or at least someway constructive when adding a comment.

Those negative comments sting more than they should but they’re not enough to put me off.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I do feel for Farmer Phil after watching that latest video. I’m used to continental beef stock,Rearing dairy beef is a tough game. Those calves are a pity, I couldn’t be looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was told the same as he was from our vet that calves with a high burden are best off getting a dose that paralyses the lung worm rather then killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

does that man normally have good calves. He was still calling levacide a white drench, he woud want to read the label. They are coughing in the video, must have been coughing a fortnight ago too

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

I've to laugh at Phil when he tries to bump up the great looking calves .......they would be far better keeping a third or half the amount of a better type cattle but every man to there own

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Not easy manage worms in cattle. It's a balance between allowing the animal's immunity to develop, while at the same getting the right thrive. If you overdose, you also get a resistance in the worms to the active ingredient in that type of dose.

A few years back, I had an outbreak of pneumonia in adult cows brought on by lung worms. I think it may have been from overdosing when they were younger. I'm more inclined to dose less now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

"However, a word of caution is needed. The above is the case for gut worms. In the case of lungworm or hoose, you go in and dose once you hear animals coughing. The reason for this is most damage is done by the larvae stage, i.e. before they become adults and start to lay eggs that appear in the dung."- teagasc.

suckler calfs dont need many doses cos they dont have the same pressure for worms (not grazing as tight or not as much while theyre still sucking). them dairy calfs are eating grass amd worms from the get go . ideally you want ground with less worms for them , grazing ahead of the stronger cattle (not as tight) or grazing clean ground (aftergrass)

Advertisement