Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just remember that I bumped into Dermot Bannon at 2:30am Sunday morning in Providencia. His head was melted with people giving him the gee up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Only went for the Saturday, as was playing another festival on Sunday. Unfortunately when we got there we were told the performer's car park was full and were ushered into the red car park. It was 2km+ walk from there to accreditation, which we had to do carrying all our gear.

We arrived at the Providencia stage 2 hours after parking, dropped our stuff off and were able to have a wander around. Caught a bit of the Bootleg Beach Boys who sounded great. Had a wander around the main area for a bit without stopping anywhere in particular. Took a while to decide on food given some of the mad prices, but settled on some loaded chips for €8, which wasn't too bad. A pint of Lagunitas for less than €8 was also unexpected

We played a 45 min set to a great crowd and then were free to roam again for another few hours. Caught some Inhaler, Hamsandwich, Paolo Nutini and Kila. I enjoyed the new (?) Freetown area, some of the lanes and hidden locations were so cool! I'm sure there is a lot that I missed there.

All the "foresty" areas were really good, and as the weather was so decent it was nice not walking in mud for the whole time. Particularly liked the Spike Island area, sort of had a Mad Max vibe.

Let around 10:30 and had to do the long trek back to the car once more, again carrying all our gear. We walked through a few camping grounds to get to the cars, and they seemed fairly civilised. It was even more hassle doing it in the dark - even though I had dropped a pin for the car it still was way harder to navigate without any proper lighting.

Eventually got to the car, and getting out after that was no problem. Home by 1am.

Apart from the major issue of the car parking it was a good day. It seemed busier than previous years, but it was a well mannered and happy crowd. Would certainly have loved to have a bit more time to explore it some more and check out more bands.

Steps: 28,593, Distance walked: 21.89km, Distance Driven: 218km

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Neighbour was almost 4 hours getting out of the car park yest. No staff to be seen. No water. No toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

thought they were great to be honest. Ya Sofa King is abit cheesy but the jangly guitar sound is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Only clocked Saturday which was 22km, probably around the same for the other days, fairly fatigued yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

I understand the frustration of not getting in to arena but I was on site for the week leading up to picnic and to be fair to all the construction workers, who were working flat to the mat - the heavy rain on Thursday night/Fri morning caused a lot of problems - some of the structures got flooded overnight and the ground was in a bad way - they had to bring in serious amounts of bark mid day to cover areas that would normally not need it. I know it’s annoying when arena doesn’t open as scheduled but health and safety trumps everything! Thankfully we had an amazing weather weekend which helped the ground significantly! Glad you had a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Personally didn’t feel the extra numbers, felt more spacious this year than last. I’m unsure how enlarged the main arena is but the walks between stages have greatly increased, particularly to the EA. It used to be a spot you could nip into from Rankins Wood. No longer.

No gig at the weekend was especially rammed, even Billie (I expected a bigger crowd) and there were no crushes nor much of people pushing their way through.

I found the kids to be friendly, chatty and well-behaved. And a hell of a lot less wasted than my pals and I were at their age. Can we declare a moratorium on the teenager-kicking?

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

Excellent review @Stillill42, you’ve brought the place alive. Wilco for me would trump any act at EP and EOTR is a major consideration for the future. Never seen a bad lineup for that weekend. Enjoy your recovery week.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

That sounds fantastic @Stillill42 would love to give that a go sometime! How did you get on with the power bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Thanks, Reded. I completely ignored your advice and followed the advice of the lads. Throw it in the check in bag and forget about it. It all turned out OK. And yeah, absolutely check it out. Fantastic festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Cheers Seath. You'd love it, as would loads on here. Light on the hip hop and electronic stuff, which wouldn't suit everyone but absolutely up lot's of this thread's alleys. So to speak.

moat people ignore my advice 🤣 glad it all worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was probably to blame for one of those isolated incidents absolutely creamed a girl after tying my lacer on Sunday at the Bacardi stage, fell backwards...she took a full frontal 17 stone to the face... security swarmed around....made me buy her a drink as a sorry as it was a complete accident...still I'd say she's a pair of lovely shiners today...

Top weekend, regretting going hammer and thongs at it Sunday...Bik knocked it out of the park..

I got someone to take a video on my phone of me playing my goatskin tambourine to Cormac Begley's O'Neills March in the Haunt on Saturday night, just another nutter adding to the wackiness of the festival. :) Its just a pity its in portrait would have preferred landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Could hear the crews working all of Thursday night/Friday morning, much appreciated! I can’t imagine the Microsoft project management file 🥵 without the luxury being able to delay the start, you can’t exactly tell ppl to come one day later.

Trojan work - I would love someone to properly document a festival build and the army of cleaners caterers etc behind the scenes might make some clean up their act! On an otherwise fun weekend, That was the single thing that p****d me off - the escalation in campsite trashing!!! Seemed way worse this yr / used to be mostly confined to hendrix now it’s widespread and the feckless abandonment of tents, chairs, cooler boxes etc! “Sure someone else will clean up my mess!” Can never understand why they can’t make more sites ECO?!

Well my Sunday kicked off in a very traditional Irish style, two Irish legends on some of the smaller stages of the Picnic, 4 from De Danann at the Croi Stage and 3 from Paddy Keenan at the Haunt.

De Danann:

De Danann - My Irish Molly o with Eleanor Shanley on vocal.

Paddy Keenan & Tony Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Full report coming but a big shout to Mother in the woods, my wife and I and our friends went there on Friday night and met the loveliest people and hung out with them in mother every night of the weekend from around midnight to the death, absolute blast every night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I know it's not EP, but it's EP adjacent.. Belle and Sebastian just blew me away last weekend. I'm now committed to seeing them forever more when they play anywhere near me.. Also, as I said in another thread here, check out Cousin Tony's Brand New Firebird playing The Workman's in October..

https://youtu.be/hoSeBXmYFH8?si=Gj1poYDQ7ZWRgUiM

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Great reading all the reviews and mostly positive feedback. Just one thing about crowd congestion and crushes that I think needs to be flagged. There was a potentially bad crush unfolding after The Script at the womens toilets to the left of the main stage. My wife was caught in it and it got pretty bad with a surge into the entrance area. It was so intense that arms were pinned and people couldnt move and there was a lot of screaming and panic with people pinned up against cubicle doors as well but the Guards were on it very quickly and started roaring at people to stop moving towards the toilets. Stewards in the area just stood and stared. A potentially dangerous situation handled very quickly and well by the Guards.

My wife is no shrinking violet and she was pretty shaken by it on her return. I believe the toilets there were shut down to relieve the congestion then. Thankfully no one hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

In previous years there were gates that would open and allow crowds from the main area to flow out towards EA, that gate was controlled and couldn't be used in the other direction (i.e. you could not enter the main arena from EA through that gate), and I also think it was closed off when not in use (maybe not).

In any case this year I think there was only an emergency gate in that location which was not opened, but maybe should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fantastic band, never seen them live, would love if they came to EP some time. Mad jealous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LaoisBlowIn

Correct me if im wrong but last year there was a pathway to the left of Mainstage between the heineken bar & toilets that led to EA/Comedy area. This year the pathway was still there but was closed off the whole weekend with a steward sat in front of it. Made is so much harder/longer to go from Main Stage to almost all of the other tents because everyone was being funnelled the one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

We had them in the EA in 2015, long over due a return.

(looking at the poster for back then, many on this forum would instantly cream themselves for that line up but it has aged)

49k steps over three days. I feel such an underachiever. Perhaps less time spent sitting at the Croi stage is in order for 2024.

My pals who’ve gone (mainly English) love it. It’s clearly for serious music fans and very well curated. I’ll get there sometime.

• Advertisement

Advertisement