Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Me neither, I agree with you.

There are no mainstream parties offering a change in approach re: immigration. Therefore, there is no real need for any party to change their stance.

No point changing your vote in protest if the party you run to has the same policy as the one you ran from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Your original post seems to complaining the they "will do zero to slow down Asylum immigration". Our asylum immigration was well below the EU average for nearly 20 years in a row. We had a spike in numbers last year, but in the last 5 months the amount coming has fallen by about roughly 40% compared to the same period in 2022. What change in approach are you looking for and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

🤔ok.

So by this new label , as if we haven't enough names to call people ...

People who are only first generation or even second generation Irish ,are now not entitled to be labelled this ?

Some would say thats' a good thing!

Now just to clarify, is that indigenous label only applicable to" White Irish " as the OP who brought this up (@rgossip30 , I think ?) ... or would one black grandparent + one white count ?

And how far does it go back ? Like what about the Armada and the Twelve tribes ?

And what about an English or a Scottish grandparent? Does that one knock you out of the club too ?

I would not be sure if any of us really know if we belong to that particular club ,if we ever wanted to , btw , as most of the Irish records went up in flames during the rebellion .

Do any of us really know completely our ancestry here going back before the mid 1800s ?

I would say , not, unless you come from abroad !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Things change, sure.

That doesn't mean we need to drive this sort of change.

It's high carbon, drives inequality (local and global), drives corruption, and is unsustainable - is any of that really desirable?

But hey, as you say - because as I've pointed out before on this thread, the people in favour of this can almost inevitably only think of themselves in this regard - we might get a new footballer out of it.

Things change, sure.

That doesn't mean we need to drive this sort of change.

It's high carbon, drives inequality (local and global), drives corruption, and is unsustainable - is any of that really desirable?

But hey, as you say - because as I've pointed out before on this thread, the people in favour of this can almost inevitably only think of themselves in this regard - we might get a new footballer out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

rgossip30 threadbanned

So you've no evidence. And there's evidence to cast doubts on your views, in terms of foreign players in the GAA or general surveys on the integration of Muslims in western society.

Where did I assume that every person or community behaves the same? I do know the link between Muslim immigration and increased anti-Semitic attacks that I linked earlier was across a number of countries - Holland, Belgium, France, Norway, Sweden, Britain. The question back to you I suppose is - why you do think Ireland should be different?

And probably the answer - based on your posts here - is that you'd rather ignore that question, and anything remotely along those lines.

Irish culture is only not on its way to a minority if you assume that the only thing that drives culture is geographical coincidence. That anyone in Ireland is by definition Irish. But that's an absurd over-simplification of things. Culture is far more subtle than that. Look at the riots in France when Morocco and France met in the World Cup last year for example - plenty of French born people who considered themselves Moroccan first and foremost, and were happy to riot over it.

And I think Wibbs has given the really obvious example of the situation up North, where people certainly wouldn't consider themselves Irish just because they were born here.

There's a huge amount wrong with your posts - and again, to reiterate, you completely ignore carbon generation, growing inequality (local and global), corruption, and the other global factors that I've regularly referenced.

Of course they are. That's what a birth rate below 2 means. That's what we have now.

And you don't have to have a culture die out for it to be replaced. You just need for immigration to be high enough that we go from 95% of the population to 75% to 55% to 35%...which is what we're well on the way towards. This isn't opinion or fearmongering (as you try to dismiss it with no basis whatsoever). This is simple maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Go in to various parts and you will find fairly young 20-30s males who have were born in the UK and who's parents were born in the UK identity as Pakistani Muslims British citizens ,not British or English,but Pakistani Muslim British citizens, which I always find weird whenever people identify a place and religion before mentioning the place they were born and bread in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, it's ridiculous. The population isn't going to be 35% Irish anytime at all. Because the trickle of immigration into the country means that, in our small country, people will be integrating all the time.

Unless, you also believe in the strange idea that has been seen in this thread, that Irish people cannot have any other nationality blood in them?

• Advertisement

I believe that to really integrate properly into a culture takes a lot longer than you make it out. Particularly in an era where you can easily access, for example, your own local TV, keep in touch with your own local culture, and so on. I know people born here who don't identify as Irish - as indeed Gatling as pointed out in the post immediately above yours.

And while some people absolutely do integrate seamlessly (and I know some of those as well), the reality is there's big differences in cultures across the globe. And the more different the culture, the less likely you are to quietly blend in. Again, I've given examples of this.

And what we have is not a trickle by the way. It's unprecedented across our entire history. A million people in 20 years, give or take. Do you think these people immediately become Irish when they step off the plane? I don't think any of them would agree with if so.

So again, for you to argue - as you effectively are doing - that being Irish is a geographical accident with no more depth than that is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We increased our population by something 100,000 in less then 12 months ,we increased our Ukrainian population by another 10,000 over the last few months again,if these figures where to stay that way for the next decade we'd have a foreign population of nearly 2 million considered we only achieved a population of 4 + million not so long ago,and then the idea in Europe we need to get ready for a population of 10 million, how is this increase to million going to happen,mass migration because nobody is popping out 10 kids at time anymore so achieve this figure of 10 million we need to artificial increase the population through immigration,

I don't think they become irish, nor do I think they have to.

integration into society doesn't mean giving up ones own culture. Which can be seen by the way Irish people exported our culture worldwide, but yet settled perfectly well as functioning members of other societies.

Being a valuable member of any society doesn't mean giving up your own heritage. At the same time, plenty will take up Irish games and customs, as will their children and their children.

there is literally no reason or evidence to suggest that Irish culture could possibly ever due out.

So much wrong in your posts also . I don't know how you can talk about climate change , corruption and inequality and still post against immigration.

Obviously those countries need help to combat their issues ..but what when its irreparable and all that's left is dust after the big corporations of this world and greenhouse gases have done their damage ?

What then..give them aid, but no entry to countries where they might start to make their own living .

And that isn't even talking about countries that have been ripped asunder by crime and war .

But you can get sarcasm hopefully ? We don't agree .. my opinion that you are wrong is Iike yours of me, subjective...maybe we can agree on that ?

I don't think there's a big issue with antisemitism here in Ireland. Islamophobia more so .

As for Wibbs and his view of the North, which I haven't seen , cdeb , so only giving my view .. there are many more in NI very happy to call themselves Irish and also retain their British passports , nothing wrong with that . Many younger people see the advantages of both pragmatically, more than older people .

As regards French and Moroccans, sure there are people living in Dublin all their adult lives who would shout very strongly for Kerry when they meet in an All Ireland.

Those type of events ramp up the tribalism .

I think there is more to being Irish than just being born here and citizenship . It's how you think and relax and in your humour and your soul.

And if I am being told at my age that I am naive , you know I don't really mind that , because I have seen more in this life that would turn your hair white , than some of you have had bacon and cabbage ! Or maybe beef and boiled spuds?

Not avocado and toast though ..too many air miles 😊

So you don't think they'll become Irish, but you don't think Irish people will become a minority in Ireland either, despite the ongoing "trickle" of immigration which is actually 50k a year for the past two decades and growing?

Right so.

And despite the earlier suggestion by another poster that there's plenty of foreigners who are starring in various GAA players, there's actually no evidence at all for this - there's evidence, in fact, for the exact opposite. So this challenges your argument that "plenty will take up Irish games and customs"

Your views just don't stack up in the slightest. They're what you think will happen, but that doesn't bear any relation to reality.

And we still haven't actually worked out what the point of all this is. Given that, again, it's carbon heavy, drives global and local inequality, holds back national economies or mires them in corruption, destroys diversity (turning everywhere the same) and all the other points mentioned before.

Edit - that post at suvigirl; I can't add in the quote post now because Vanilla boards is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

I honestly think quality of life in Ireland has gone science the toilet and it’s only getting worse, and yes we’ve had Brexit, covid but I think immigration is also burdening us. It’s simple math divide what you have by more and more means less for everyone.

This is a mess of a post really with no real attempt to engage in a proper discussion. So for example, the very first line - "I don't know how you can talk about climate change corruption and inequality and yet still pist [sic] against immigration" - I've explained this numerous times. The drain it causes on other economies. The way it holds them back from developing their economies (because we're taking all their skilled people - exactly the same way we would have taken their raw materials under colonialism before). The way it destroys their demographics and leaves them on in demographic crisis.

Carbon - I've already pointed out the record high number of flights that we have (as reported by flightradar) - and of course we do, when we move everyone apart around the globe. We need to reduce that, not keep increasing it. Your "all that's left is the dust..." is a sentence I literally can't begin to decipher. It doesn't make sense. Genuinely, it's that badly written.

Do we have a problem with Islamaphobia here? Or are you mixing up Islamophobia with very legitimate criticisms of it as a culture? Its anti-Semitic and homophobic tendencies, as evidenced by the 2013 survey in Austria I linked earlier? Maybe you're ok with these attitudes; I don't know.

Your view of the North is so shallow as to ignore so much of its history. Historia est magistra vitae, as the saying goes - history is life's teacher. Ignore it at your peril. And you're ignoring it.

@cdeb as I said we are not going to agree and tried a bit of an olive branch to you but you threw it back in my face .

That autocorrect mistake ( sic) was edited straight away but am glad you commented on it, shows your pettiness . I have tried to engage but won't reply to something like this .

Why do some posters assume that others will continue to reply to posters who are just plain rude?

If you want to try to discuss without denigrating other posters because they disagree with you, fair enough ,but otherwise ..goodnight .

We're not going to agree - but it seems you're also not going to actually engage in the discussion. "I don't know how you can talk about climate change corruption and inequality and yet still pist [sic] against immigration" you say, even though I've explained it quite clearly before. And when I explain it again, you ignore it again, and fall back on the old "I'm not replying to you; you're rude" line we saw earlier. It's a rather disingenuous way of arguing, and it really takes away hugely from your posts.

And then, I don't know how many pages later, we still have unanswered the question (from my post #2336, but asked repeatedly in the thread) "And we still haven't actually worked out what the point of all this is. Given that, again, it's carbon heavy, drives global and local inequality, holds back national economies or mires them in corruption, destroys diversity (turning everywhere the same) and all the other points mentioned before."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hymenelectra threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can you imagine any Irish government restricting immigration for the very reasons you list above? This would very much be into Enoch Powell territory i.e. claiming that immigration and multiculturalism pose an inherent threat to the nation and its culture. Powell's opinions were undoubtedly popular in Britain in his day but nobody could deny they were right wing and extremely controversial.

This is fearmongering...

"Now ask yourself - what would Europe be like if this were the majority culture? And with birth rate and immigration trends, there's no reason at all it won't happen in some countries; Sweden is forecast to be minority Swedish by 2050 for example. Others will follow over the remainder of the century (including Ireland) I'd argue it'd be similar to what we're starting to see in Hamtramck. Is that what we want?"

Population forecasts are tricky things to do, even those who make the forecasts would admit that they're difficult. The Pew research center who conducted a forecast of the Muslim Population in Europe by 2050, did so with this caveat...

"Predicting future migration levels is impossible, because migration rates are connected not only to political and economic conditions outside of Europe, but also to the changing economic situation and government policies within Europe."

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

As such, population forecasters usually presents a range of projections using a set of assumptions and say it is probable the population will fall within this range. "A set of projections about what could happen under different circumstances". In The Pew Research Center's Muslim population in Europe forecast the present 3 scenarios - low, medium and high migration. For Europe the range was 7.4% to 14% by 2050. The range for sweden was 11.1% to 30.6%. 30.6% is high, but this was under the assumption "that the record flow of refugees into Europe between 2014 and 2016 to continue indefinitely into the future with the same religious composition (i.e., mostly made up of Muslims) in addition to the typical annual flow of regular migrants." But the flow hasn't continued at those levels...

Similarly, migration to Sweden...

Sweden now has a right-wing conservative government coalition propped up by a far-right party and is hardening its stance towards migrants and asylum seekers. in June EU countries agreed on a plan for stricter asylum reforms.

The PRC forecast for the Muslim population in Ireland by 2050 is between 1.4% to 4.4%. So yeah, bringing Hamtramck into an "Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions" thread is fearmongering.

Post edited by Ahwell on

Fallen compared to 2022, yes. But numbers are on the rise again in the last few months, according to the govt.

I am all for a welcoming approach but I do think we need a better investment in infrastructure to manage the demand.

Relying on tents as primary provision of accomodation, as per govt admittance today, is not good for anyone.

They rise during the summer - they always do, but they are down on this time last year.

The relying on tents is down to the number of Ukraine refugees that have arrived, it wasn't for the war it wouldn't be happening.

Very true, but the war will go on for years. So we do need a better, long term response.

Yep, unfortunately that's the most likely outcome.

It is entirely an individual decision as to whether people engage with Irish games, culture, music, language etc.

That doesn't mean they can't be positive members of society. There are plenty of Irish people who have no interest in Irish customs.

Anecdotally, in my home town, many of the new foreign residents are all part of the athletic club, and local gaa club. I'm sure some of them are not. But the kids going to school are all friends, interested in whatever they are interested in.

what do you believe Irish culture to be exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The situation is far from ideal - especially with tents now being used - but the spirit behind it is well intentioned. I also think any version of a coalition would probably have taken the same decisions re. Ukrainian refugees, including a Sinn Fein led government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

240k PPS numbers issued last year to immigrants. 70k Ukrainians last year maybe half that this year, so probably another 200k this year. A trickle you say- what number would constitute a flood?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement