Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is silly season journalism.

Two auld lads; Joe Duffy and whoever your man in the WTs is handbags at dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 anonymouscactus

Who knows? Could also be a distraction from what the 'real' Tories are doing with the Legacy Bill. Here we are discussing etiquette (that's all this story is about really) while the real story is elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They have booked the 3 Arena now, off the back of their EP success.

A bit of a risky gig for them. I know they had easily more attend at EP than the Arena will hold, but having to buy a ticket just to see the WT might not interest a lot of those who got caught up in the EP frenzy and went along to listen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,318 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"Cool" especially in music is not a constant. The variables to be labelled cool are constantly changing and evolving.

It used be cool for our rock/pop stars to be found in their hotel room with a loaded revolver past out beside a semi conscious drug addled hooker.

Then it became cool to promote veganism and fair trade.

Just look at the day time acts at Glastonbury. In particular this year Rick Astley who when I was growing up was the literal opposite of cool.

To be fair to Astley from what I saw of it him and Queens of the Stone Age had by far the best sets out of the whole festival at least in terms of getting the audience going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭TokTik

Astley was also at EP.

I do wonder were the Wolfe Tones “cool” when Fine Gael booked them to perform at their Christmas Party in 2002.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well in fairness they are becoming less and less when you look at the demographics of the north thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Francis McM

OK, a group of youngish people at EP, some high on drink and/or drugs, young enough to not have lived through the times when the IRA murdered our Gardai and Irish army, among countless civilians, did go to the Wolfe Tones. However it is a credit to the people of Ireland that 99% of people did not go.

In DeValera time, DeVelera and the Irish government executed some IRA prisoners. 99% of the people were fine with that too, there was no outcry. During the troubles, SF had a miniscule vote here in the Republic. It is amazing how some young people now do not understand the past.

I would say the same if a band got up on a stage in N.I. and with a sound system and loudspeakers whipped a crowd of thousands up in to a frenzy chanting UDA slogans. Very dangerous stuff. Both I would feel very sad about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

America is the main reason World War II was won by the Allied side. The Soviets (including Ukraine and all the other colonised republics) couldn't have won without US aid. I'm certainly grateful the Soviets eventually stood up to the Nazis, but it should be remembered that Stalin initially collaborated with Hitler.

I despise modern day Russia, what it is and what they've done to Ukraine.

If you're to accept that rationale you'd have to accept that the spate of Al Qaeda/ISIS bombings/atrocities in Europe over the last 20 years was not terrorism but a war, or that September 11th was part of a war, not terrorism.

I'd categorise it as terrorism rather than a war.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Let me guess - you "learned" your history outside of the Republic.

The British army was initially brought in to support all sides in the North and "restore law and order". The catholic communities had ZERO faith in the RUC and it was assumed that the British Army would be more accepted which in the beginning they were.

They were brought in to try and stem the riots in the Nationalist communities that was directly caused by the UKs policies in the North namely discrimination against the Nationalist population, RUC brutality against the Nationalists, rigged voting, unequal housing laws etc.

However the Nationalist communities started to regard the Army as being part of this discrmination (which they were) and the IRA stepped up to fill a void.

Thats what started the conflict - The IRA didnt just appear overnight to start bombing and shooting police and army members.It was a long time brewing.

The conflict was caused directly by a state (The UK) invading another country and trying to ethnically cleanse (probably a bit harsh of a word to use) the existing population by discrimination, unlawful arrests and targetted harrassment of the existing population.

Remember the IRA were never defeated in this conflict and for that I would be a supporter - however I never agreed with some of their policies or operations but I also never agreed with indiscriminate shooting by the supposed "peace keepers" of the British Army either.

All parties involved had some policies and operations that one or other person would have a problem with. But remember it was a war - civilian casualties will always be part of any war.

You just have to look at whats happening with the legacy bill in the UK - Are they afraid that more atrocities carried out by the UK forces will be revealed??

Its part of our (The Republics) history and will for ever be a bone of contention between one group and another.

Thankfully we have a peace process in place that has held and these atrocities (by both sides) are behind us.

But we can still sing about the conflict - its part of our heritage whether you like the band singing the songs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭TokTik

Nonsense. If Russia hadn’t gotten involved, we’d live in a very different world now. The Allies would judge been routed in WW2

Russia was not invaded until 1941. Let us not forget that the UK and its commonwealth allies ( Canada, Australia etc ) had been fighting the Axis powers ( Germany, Austria, Italy) for 2 years by then. Without the UK, we'd also live in a very different world now.

So you admit the British Army were welcomed by the Catholic community.

The notion the Provos weren't defeated reminds me of that Monty Python "let's call it a draw" sketch.

The Provos failed and failed utterly. Their aim was a united Ireland by force. They never advanced that aim one iota.

The notion they weren't defeated is laughable.

The bizarre thing about the Troubles is the outcome at the end of it all - the Good Friday Agreement - was a comprehensive victory for Unionism, yet the Unionists like to delude themselves into thinking they lost, whereas it's the opposite on the Provo side - they lost and lost big but delude themselves into thinking they won.

Delusion is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The UK would have been crushed if not for the Soviet Union. We'd all be speaking German and there would be many people defending all the crimes of the nazi empire.

While now we all speak English and many people defend the crimes of the British empire. So maybe not so different.

The Western Allies would won anyway, it just would have taken a bit longer. America's firepower was so overwhelming it would have crushed the Nazis. Stalin himself admitted that without American aid the Soviets (you seem determined to erase the role of the other Soviet republics besides Russia) would have lost.

Let me guess - you got your history from the pages of an Phoblocht? You are right about one thing though, the IRA did not appear overnight causing trouble. There was the failed 1956- 1962 Border campaign by the IRA, for example. It had cost the lives of eight IRA men, four republican supporters and six RUC members. In addition, 32 RUC members were wounded. A total of 256 Republicans were interned in Northern Ireland in this period and another 150 or so in the Republic. I bet few if any of the crowd at the Wolfe Tones knew that. At the start of the troubles, 20% of the UDR were Catholics. There were more Catholics in the security services, trying to uphold law and order, than in terrorist organisations like the IRA.

In 1940 alone - when the UK and commonwealth were up to their neck fighting Nazism - The Soviet Union rapidly became Germany’s main source of imported animal feed ( Germany, contrary to popular belief, relied heavily on horses etc for transportation). In 1940 the Soviet Union also supplied Germany with 74 per cent of its phosphates needs, 67 per cent of its asbestos imports, 65 per cent of its chromium supplies, 55 per cent of its manganese, 40 per cent of its nickel imports and 34 per cent of its imported oil.

Of course, a few years later, convoys were going from the UK to Russia, with aid to fight the Nazis. In the period from 1st October, 1941, to 31st March, 1946, the UK supplied to the Soviet Union 5,218 tanks, of which 1,388 were from Canada. The UK supplied 7,411 aircraft, including 3,129 aircraft sent from the United States of America. As previously explained on the 10th May, 1944, the aircraft from the United States of America were sent on United States Lend Lease to the Soviet Union as part of the British commitment to the U.S.S.R. in exchange for the supply of British aircraft to United States Forces in the European Theatre. The UK also sent about £120 million ( a fortune in them days) of raw materials, foodstuffs, machinery, industrial plant, medical supplies and hospital equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In the late 80’s and early 90’s I dare say South Armagh felt like a war zone as the IRA and SAS went at it multiple times.

But again, the very clear factual distinction is the reality of censorship and propaganda before 1994 and its absence in broadcasting and media rules thereafter. There was somewhat of a transition period between 1994 and the IRA decommissioning, as media continued to be influenced by what were operational norms during censorship. But we are now coming on two decades of media content that is free to discuss the conflict as it was, warts and all.

Your fundamental issue is that - without censorship - the ‘FG Middle Ireland’ view of the “troubles” simply doesn’t hold. The youth of today will never see things as you do, because they will never be exposed to the biased snapshots that you were. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You're going to have a bit of wait for that demographic to reach 0%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

There was 3500 people watching them in a field on the August Bank holiday weekend in Armagh. They will sell out the 3 Arena easily enough I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Not sure where you get your history, possibly from youth Fine Gael.

The IRA were finished. They barely had any numbers. It was over. Then the UVF decided to start a bombing campaign and killed innocent Nationalists from 1966. Many Unionists were unhappy with Nationalists receiving equal rights and wanted to quash any campaign for it. We know of the police force violently opposing peaceful demonstrations, loyalist mobs started burning Nationalists out of their homes. Northern Nationalists were isolated and received no support from the South. They also received very little support from the Southern IRA. You may be aware of the I Ran Away graffiti.

Into the breach emerged the PIRA and we should be all grateful that they did. They defended their communities. Many died or spent years in prison for doing so. We all know that some did some horrible things but we have to remember that they had the local police force beating and murdering Nationalists, loyalist mobs saying any Catholic will do in their murder campaign, the British armed forces which were meant to restore peace started shooting innocents dead on our streets. Under this sort of sustained attack and with very little outside support, the PIRA fought bravely and stuck with targeting active participants for the huge majority of their operations.

The opposite was true for the British side. Why the PIRA are being criticised for fighting against tyranny while the British side are receiving praise is down to a media campaign lasting decades and partitionists trying to rewrite history. Gladly more people are seeing through this. Many of the young people going to the Wolf Tones also see through the revisionism. The PIRA are heroes to many and rightfully so.

I don't take my view of the Troubles from Fine Gael, I've developed my views myself through actually remembering a decade of it and from extensive reading and documentary watching and talking to people who lived through it.

Most of the youth of today know diddly squat about what happened in the Troubles or how it started. That's certainly true of the eejits that chant "Up The Ra".

The belief that the Provos were the good guys spreads in the same way other reactionary conspiracy theories spread - anti-vaccine stuff, Covid conspiracies, belief that 15 minute cities are some sort of authoritarian plot, the belief that immigrants are to blame for all of society's troubles, the batshlt belief that America rather than Russia is to blame for the current barbaric war Russia is waging in Ukraine. It's a product of our current disastrous information environment, where Disney level beliefs proliferate everywhere because gullible people with low concentration spans and a psychological craving to feel they have uncovered hidden "truths" are easy fodder.

South Armagh was undoubtedly a very dangerous place in the 1970s up to 1990s. It was a very dangerous place precisely because the Provos desired from the outset to make it a dangerous place, and did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'm in my late 50's so lived through the section 31 era in the South. I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Are you saying that if Section 31 hadn't existed, there would have been much more, open, active support for the Provo's campaign in the South? If so, it's a fallacy. Section 31 as I recall it was more of a token gesture than anything else - you could still hear Gerry Adams and co. being interviewed on TV but with the ludicrous charade of having an actor dubbing his words. Anyone seriously interested in what was going on could easily find out by reading a good enough spread of media coverage from multiple sources, both "official" and unoffical independent coverage, interviews and of course following the dally litany of atrocities on both sides. The existence of Section 31 didn't turn me against "the armed struggle". It was the endless atrocities and the feeble apologies of "oh sorry we made another mistake but it's really the Brit's fault because if they weren't here there'd be no armed struggle etc. etc. ad nauseum."

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

No. Can't understand how you'd even make that connection. FG might be desperate to demonise SF at every opportunity but it'll be FG's failings on housing and other issues that'll lose them the next election.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I never disputed they were welcomed- but only up until they became as bad as the RUC with their beatings / shootings at peaceful protests in an attempt to completely suppress the nationalist population.

It was extremist Republicans who were shooting first, and who planted well over 99% of the 16,000 or so bombs during their failed 3 decade long campaign to get the British out.

As some would say, sad that the WT are spitting on the graves of thousands of murdered, many of whom were Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Absolute gibberish, just like everything else you've posted in this thread.

Lend Lease accounted for just 15% of all the items the Russians used (that's a generous assessment) and it's main impact was only felt in 1944 during Bagration. By that stage there was only going to be one outcome in WWII.

However, the Russians won all their major battles against the Germans in previous years using their own equipment primarily. The Russians stopped the Germans at Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk using Russian made material, first and foremost.

80% of the Wehrmacht was destroyed on the Eastern Front.

Lend Lease may have helped shorten the war, but it absolutely did not win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

'However it is a credit to the people of Ireland that 99% of people did not go.'

😂😂 Its a tent at a music festival, its not like 3 million people were just going to rock up there but decided to boycott it for moral reasons.

• Advertisement

It was boots on the ground that also helped the Russians. The British sent 15,000,000 pairs of boots to the USSR. The Russians quite liked these, mainly because they kept their feet relatively warm. It was not just the airplanes etc the British sent the Russians which helped win the war. There were some Irishmen on those Artic convoys, brave men they were, more than a few perished.

Advertisement