Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I done this. My cancel date was the 15th so signed up in the wife’s name the day before and had the new router the next day. I would have had a few hours in the morning of down time while I waited for the router to be delivered.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 15 s2019

Would go for this but my present contract isn't up for another 2 months.

Don't think they'd delay activation for that length.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well if i can keep moving the delivery out it can ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

What's the story with the boxes Virgin media send out? Are they decent? Fritzbox? Considering the 2gb speed like a madman

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

For the second time sky has rescheduled my appointment after having waited in all day.

I see Virgin media are doing a deal for broadband for €39 per month unfortunately not as cheap as the rest but still fairly good, I do wonder if I phoned up tomorrow using my middle name how soon they could enable the pre-existing connection that I have using the old modem they wanted me to throw away the end of my last contract.

Conspiracy theory time I suspect the issue that I'm having is I cancelled Eir during my cooling off period and now their installers are taking their time to come and put in a finer line. Of course they will never admit that tomorrow when I get in contact with sky they'll give me the excuse along the lines of there was a problem outside or the technician was too busy on other jobs.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

got my virginmedia router hub 3.0…i cant login to connect app..does anyone know? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Evening lads, I've still got the white surfboard router that came with UPC broadband back in 2009. If I ask Virgin Media for a new one, what is the best model they have, I dont want to get lumped with one with crap wifi and no passthrough/modem only mode.

Even better if anyone knows if they'll charge me, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Just had network engineers call to our house to say FTTH is being installed on our street within two months.

I was just about to sign up to a new deal (max 100mb) with someone. Do I need to wait now or should I find a good 500mb and sign up to that?

Would OneBigSwitch's Eir offer be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Do you need to have FTTH to get the OneBigSwitch Eir offer? I see that it's for 500mb broadband but I was wondering if they also let FTTC (100mb) customers sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

I checked an address that I know can't get eir FTTH but can get SIRO/UPC and the offer is still available. It's for *up to* 500Mb though 1Gb is available too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Hi, I have been with eir the past two years and am now out of 24 month contract and my BB has gone up to €67 a month with FTTH. It is only 100MB too. What is the general consensus on calling them and try to get a deal or better to switch? Who would be the other best deals for FTTH in terms of ease of set up as well as the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Because of all the feedback about EIR being a bad company to deal with I thought I'd update my experience with EIR , I signed up for the €35 broadband and 2 sims € 9.99 each .

changed my mind before anything had changed over well within the 14 day cooling off period and rang them up to cancel ,still have sky broadband nothing changed over ,sim cards the same were never changed over .

Last month received an email saying €2.68 was being taken by direct debit , l didn't bother chasing it up as not worth all the hassle over such a small amount.

Today l got another email saying €59.99 will be taken by direct debit .

I tried ringing today but when l typed in my account number it said account number is not recognized .

I'll ring back tomorrow , I know they will refund the money they have to , but what about people who aren't watching their emails ,elderly people with no online banking to see the money being taken , a mortgage payment could be missed by them taking money that's not expected to be taken .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

100MB seems very slow for FTTH .

well Vodafone at that speed is going to be 40Euro per month till April then price increase will kick in.

Friend phoned them this week. they were told no deals/offers 40 Euro till april and estimated 45 April.

SKY were offering 30 on 12 month contracts.

worth contacting Eir and tell them that sky has offered you 30 for a year and ask what their offer to recontract

Currently paying €40 for 1Gb with Sky, due to expire around Halloween. Just got an email off them saying they've extended my offer by another 12 months without me needing to do anything! Happy days as I was going to switch to Digiweb anyway.

A saving of €360 for the year!

We understand that things are tough right now and we’ve noticed that you have some offers ending soon, so your price would normally go up. But the good news is, we’ve extended your offers for another 12 months and you don’t have to do a thing.

So enjoy another great year of dramas and comedies while you continue to save. It’s our way of saying thank you for being with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm currently a few days away from the last month of my contract with Sky and if they send me the same email? They'll have me for another 12 months.

It's long past time that companies shifted away from loss leading and discounting for new customers and worked on keeping the ones they have.

I signed up around Halloween last year and new discount end date is 24/11/24. The email came from "sky@email.contact.sky". If not I was gone to Digiweb @€40/m.

New 12 month offers: Offers available to recipients of this communication by invitation only. The offers have already been applied to your account. You do not need to recontract to get these offers. Log in to My Sky to view your latest bill. After these offers end, you will be required to pay standard full price for your Sky package. If you cancel your current package or any element of it, you will not be eligible for these offers if you rejoin. You may lose the offers if you make any changes to your current package or have any outstanding payments. If you have recently changed your package, the offers shown may no longer apply. If you wish to cancel this offer you can do so at any time by contacting Sky in the usual way. Prices may increase during offer term. Further terms apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

Nope, I don't have Sky tv. Just 1Gb broadband through SIRO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

strange they mention comedy and drama in the email, just a copy and paste for them i guess

The internet isn’t for everyone

Definitely just a genetic placeholder email anyway. I'm delighted cos with the way Sky bill in advance you nearly always end up paying for a month at full price (€70!) even if you cancel on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pity I find vF cc fab

was with eir and under no circumstances could I ever go back to them,

their CC is rubbish,

unless they’ve changed drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

They’re the absolute pits

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Had SKY 500mb @ €30 pm for 12 months and its gone up €60 pm as promised. Rang for renewal offer and guy offered €5 off so €55 going forward.

Said no thanks. Any recommendations please ? I see feargantae was going to Digiweb ?

Quick question on Vodafone. Is there broadband SIRO only or do they offer FTTH also? Cannot see it on the basket. I have Eir FTTH and looking at options that I can switch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

SIRO is FTTH, it's just a name for the company delivering it. All of "SIRO" fibre, NBI and open eir fibre will be described as fibre in the package name on the front end for us customers.

There's SIRO, delivering along electricity lines (typically at least) which was (?) co owned by Vodafone and ESB.

There's Open Eir who will have the widest difference of different types of internet (from Copper only, to Fibre to Cabinet (which is then Copper from Cabinet to House (FTTC)), and finally FTTH.

Then there's Virgin Media who are starting to run fibre ut I believe still have a mix of fibre and non fibre delivery. Regardless they can deliver speeds of 500Mbps or greater.

Then there's NBIs network.

Then you have various other players using line of sight and satellites.

Just on this, and Sky offering Fearg a continuation of his €40 1Gb and sky's understanding that "times are tough"

My 12 months with with Sky end on the 19/10. So after I got no email. I contacted sky, got put thru to retentions and asked what retention deals were available.

I'm on the €30 500mb plan. 1st off, they offered me 1gb at the "great" price of €70pm. I said thanks, but no I'm happy enough with current speed and what matters most to me right now is price. The agent said I had it very good, that Sky so far had saved me €340 and that the very best they could should I take another 12month deal was €45pm🤨

Anyway, I'm porting to pure telecom on the 18/10 for 35pm 😉

Yeah I understand that so I'll explain better. There is SIRO in my area but I'm not using it and want to use the FTTH line that Eir installed two years (not the electric line) so I suppose if I get Vodafone FTTH will they be looking at utilising SIRO or the FTTH line that I have. I had a SIRO line but removed it from the house as it was ugly once I got Eir to do a cleaner install of a FTTH line so if a provider tries to use SIRO it's no good to me.

I see Digiweb differentiate between them although there both same speed and I'm wondering about Vodafone too, or even Sky. Thanks.

Bizarre. Clearly they can offer you 1Gb for €40pm they just don't want to! It's gas because €40 is the going price, you could go to Digiweb or Pure and get it for that price easily.

I switch yearly so I'm a "new" Sky customer

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much the same, I switch yearly and always at least ask the current supplier to match whats on offer with competitor. The sky agent I was dealing with was quite frankly a bit of an asshole throughout our interaction. It was quite a weirdly confrontational exchange. No skin off my back and not the usual level of decorum any time I've dealt with them previously. May well have just been a bad day for the agent, but far cheaper for me to move than stay with what they offered.

Advertisement