Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Cutting out sections and bonding new parts is never going to work for crash repairs really though. Is anyone else using this manufacturing method, or does anyone know what tesla have done for recent heavy crashes?

repairs on newer cars is pretty simple - replace whole parts only, or just write it off if that list of replacement parts become uneconomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Tesla are the only ones doing these big castings but the like of Toyota have stated they will in the future. The front most components, like bumpers, frontal crumble zone elements like the horizontal crash bar, wings etc. these days just bolt on, or bolt on and bond to aid with repairs, as you say. This is not different from Model Y.

The difference is when you get past these sacrificial elements. Most new cars use steel components bonded together (perhaps with help of fasteners or rivets), either with adhesive or welds, and the repair process is to pull the damaged part back in shape, then cut out the damaged part and then bond/bolt/weld/rivet the replacement section in. With Tesla gigacast pulling the front back in shape won't he possible or easy, but for more localised damage cutting out the damaged part from suitable place instead of splitting in the natural join is still possible. All the body shops can bond in steel element (has been use since 1980's), but for gigacast Tesla would need to provide sections of castings that were designed to be bonded certain sections of the cut gigacast. Not sure if those are available yet or if they ever will be. Giving this more thought, if I had to guess, I would say it's very unlikely the parts will be available for heavy collisions so it's a valid concern.

In any case, in Irish context, the cars are written off quite lightly based on what I have seen: When the front chassis legs have been disturbed the car is probably a write off, so this is pretty theoretical difference really. Once the bags are out the costs quickly escalate and the insurance company will just write off the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Heading out of Dublin Airport in a few weeks. ABRP telling me I'll arrive to Red Express with 24%. I'll low ball it and say I'll be leaving the airport with 20% to head back to Limerick around 1am. ABRP is sending me to Sandyford to the Tesla SC which is not exactly en route. Would I not be better off preconditioning as if I were heading to SF SC but just hit straight for Kill and use the Ionity charger which is en route or am I missing something here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You could set the destination for Sandyford or Enfield Superchargers,and it will precondition, but just go to ionity instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

You can certainly do that in terms of efficiency but cost at Ionity is much more expensive. Maybe a quick boost at Ionity and a stop at Tesla Balacolla, otherwise go to Sandyford it adds a few kms but gets your fully sorted. The preconditioning may help in terms of timings but is not essential, battery temp will be heating up anyway from drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joni Mitchell

Hi Folks,

I am going to buy a 241D model Y RWD in black and would like to pick it up March/April 2024, when would be the appropriate month to order it?

Also, on the Tesla website for Ireland the price is coming in at 47k but in Tesla inventory at the moment the same spec and colour car is at 48k, can anybody explain that please?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Order in November/December maybe.

but you are at the mercy of Tesla delivery. You can’t specific April if it arrives in March.

A black MY is €48,021 to buy new now and it’s also €48,021 to buy an existing black one from inventory but you get €500 off if using a referral code. Maybe this is the lower price explained.

Super, thanks so much Gumbo, I see it now. So the one coming in on inventory how long does that take to arrive normally, how can you tell this?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Inventory cars are usually a week to 2 following ordering but as you approach quarter end it could be days. Put simply it means car is either in the country or expected shortly so any orders from Inventory you would need to be ready to pick up with immediate effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Killer_Paul

Delivery & Documentation Fee €980.00

This should explain the difference :)

Edit… meant to quote user Joni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

As Gumbo said order in Q3 or 4. The deliveries traditionally arrive late February until end of March in Q1. I've got both of mine in that window. Y is a great car, any questions before or after you get it you should get answered here.

Once you order it just follow the steps on the app and you'll get an email/text to pick a delivery slot a couple of weeks beforehand. Zero hassle or stress.

I'd recommend selling your own car yourself, cheap enough to rent a car for a few weeks vs losing thousands on a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I have a Model Y which I picked up end of June.

Overall I'm very happy with the car but have noticed a few creaks appearing from the rear in the last 10 days or so.

It seems to be a fairly common issue although the location of the creaks can vary.

So far I've tried a few things to no avail;

- adjusted the bump stops in the hatch to make sure they are contacting when the boot is closed.

- lubricated the door seals (where the window sits when door is closed).

- made sure the rear head rests are in the lowest position

- adjusted the recline of the back seat to half way between upright and reclined.

I plan to lubricate the hatch seals next but beyond that, it's probably a service call.

Anyone had any similar creaking issues from the rear seat or hatch area?

I've been using the below thread as inspiration so far;

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Lubricating the hatch seals solved a lot of creaking for me. Then got some rattles that were solved by taking out the rear headrests and squeezing the two bars together a bit, before replacing.

Needed service calls to sort rattle in drivers seat and passenger door card.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I have creaking in the back/boot area. I think one of the sounds is loose backseat headrest although it's in a locked position. The more annoying noise is clearly coming from the boot itself (bushings?) when driving over speed bumps and rough road. My number plate holder is banging when closing the boot and my drivers seat creaks. ID.3 in comparison was completely silent after 2.5y. Noises are driving me demented.

It's very frustrating alright. For the first couple of months mine was also silent 😞

Alot of these issues have 'fixes' like @tipperary mentions above about the headrests.

You should definitely adjust the bump stops in the boot, it's an easy job (see the linked thread in my previous post for details).

For a €55k car it's hard to take and will need some patience to sort I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would you ever see a brand new cars where owners a self fixing build quality faults by themselves within weeks... what exactly are you paying for. No idea how this is acceptable of 50k plus vehicles.

Let's roll back I don't know 10-15 years. Imagine paying 55k for a vehicle and removing head rests to press them together to remove squeaks.

What's happened to us all ? High cost of housing high cost of vehicles, lower or stagnant wages for many. Its really not acceptable to self repair vehicles in these price brackets regardless of alleviating going to service centres. We're absolutely allowing taking the piss not to lower subscription based warranty repairs and assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

While there are no doubt some issues like the paint, I do wonder if Tesla owners are more interested, proud, and plugged into their car and therefore see more issues.

im not sure anyone in middle of the road family car is noticing the odd head rest rattle let alone returning car to dealer to rectify?

😎

Plenty of rattles 10-25 years ago. It’s just the tractor engine and vibration masked them all.

EV owners appear to be more clued in and hands on and with the info available on their finger tips online, why give it back to the harsh if a 47 second fix sorts it.

I had a brand new F10 520d from bmw ins 2013. I had to put soft Velcro tape on the side pillar to stop the passenger seat belt buckle banging off the plastic.

Done that and never looked back.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement

Well that's nonsense frankly. And a bizarre probation to anyone even remotely interested in cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Todays 40-55k vehicles are the cars that were 25-30k 15 years ago. Mass market cars pushed out of factories with squeaks and rattles to go with them. In the past at least had an engine running that made the noise and vibration hiding a much easier task.

I think it's easier to say Tesla still have manufacturing faults in build quality. And despite their price they still exist all over the vehicle.

I do agree mostly with this. Although I went over my one before collection with a fine tooth comb and could only find a few light scrapes on the bonnet and a hand print on the headliner. Both of which likely happened outside of factory production.

I do still really like the car and will persevere with it but these creaks are too loud too ignore without turning up the radio.@liamog

Does have a point too though and maybe expectations should be in line with the increased costs over the years.

You can replace Tesla with any manufacturer in the same price bracket here. Go look at the bmw i4 page, the ID4 page. Owners on the FB group etc

These are just from the last 2 weeks and I haven’t copied the posts about software crashes, charging or working, timers not working etc

These things happen in all cars. The internet is great as it’s people like you that only post the problems. There’s millions that go about their daily route without issue at all. But hey, it’s ok if your glass is half empty while many others are half full. That’s your persona and you’re entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I don't think I'm less sensitive to car noises, but my "lower quality, Freemont build" 2019 M3P has luckily been perfect from day 1.

Only creaks were coming from the front suspension and the parts were replaced under warranty by Tesla Ranger at around 40k km.

Even the legendary 183k km 2020 LR sold for "25k plus fees" to a boardsie was rattle free. Hmm I guess Freemont cars were just better 🤔

But I'm not going out of my way to post about my experience, hence what you see online is probably overblown.

Indeed it sucks to have creaks and rattles on a 40k+ car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Not sure my view is that bizarre, others seem to agree with much of it. The fact EVs are so silent is certainly a factor too which others have mentioned.

Tesla owners are massively bought into their car compared to other groups in my opinion too - there are probably 3-4,000 tesla in Ireland now, and nearly 30% of the owners are on a single Facebook group, that is absolutely massive. I dare say 3% of BMW owners are in a single Facebook group, building a sense of community, talking about their car (and its pros and cons and rattles) on a daily basis. Social media causes things to be overblown. Overblown doesn't mean a gripe is not genuine, but it can mean a minor gripe is believed by a mass of people to be a unique or major issue when it is not, and it is normal and entirely comparable to peers not at the front of mind or top of discussion.

Good point made above, the 50k car today was the 25k car a decade or two ago. The joys of inflation. A fairly standard Audi A6 or Merc C or E class is 85K now - cars that are regarded as well built.

I dare say I wouldn't bet the house that an 85,000e Audi doesn't have the odd rattle either.

Of course major rattles, or major panel alignment errors warrant attention. However, there absolutely will come a point where TESLA, like others, will tell people to take a hike over some of the issues raised. You cant run a profitable business and have a ranger driving around the country to fix some of the gripes people are currently getting fixed (a good thing for customers but not sustainable). I hope when that point come the service isn't complete done away with - disadvantaging owners with material issues.

Will grab my coat and tin hat, as no doubt not a popular view 😉

😎

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What was Tesla's response when you reported the issues with your car? Sounds like you got a particularly bad example compared to the rest of the owners

Meant to ask if they charged you for the service calls or were they carried out by a ranger under warranty?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Advertisement