Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Realistically no team is going to get to the point where they can't field a front row 48 hours before a game.

Replacement players will have been called up well in advance of this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The potential issue is that as replacements can't be called for suspended players , theoretically you could have lost 2 F/R players to suspension leaving you with 6 available and then someone breaks down at the captains run the day before or in the warm-up meaning you now only have 5 eligible players for the game.

It's beyond unlikely , but not impossible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It applies to the pro game also. There are no distinct rules, it just doesn't come up in the pro game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They go in with a 22 man squad then. It's fundamentally not much different to the current ruling on in-game situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This was what prompted the question. With our injury issues at hooker, not an entirely impossible occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

The Red Lion in Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village is a good place to watch the games. Close to Washington Square which is always good fun, watched the European Cup games there this year, there are Rugby jerseys on the walls, mainly English as you would expect but good international crowd and cover bands later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Why do we always seem to have one of the oldest squads at World Cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Why do we always seem to moan about everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ah now, do let us know what the optimum average age should be. Is it 28.4 years? Come on Namibia!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭techdiver

I see little if any pundits (especially from the southern hemisphere) are giving Ireland a hope of making it past the quarter final again. Our "history" keeps coming into the conversation. I still think that despite us being the form team of the last 18+ months the traditional strongholds of world rugby don't rate us. This is a good thing in my opinion.

If you swapped our record with any of SA, NZ, AUS, France or England they would be runaway favourites for the tournament. I suppose it is fair given that we simply have not come close to putting a decent showing together in previous World Cups. Losing is one thing but the manner of our loses were even worse.

I'm the eternal optimist and really hope this time is finally different (although those were my sentiments in 2015 and 2019 also lol). The draw is so cruel though. We could easily surpass any previous world cup performance by some margin and still not make it past the quarter final. Just hope we do ourselves justice this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's no bad thing to be underrated at this stage but interesting that Andy Goode picked Ireland to win. Ireland are very well coached with a solid game plan and excellent defence. Injuries aside they'll be hard to beat and will approach any opponent with a good deal of confidence. The team is excellent but I wonder how many players would be in the top 2 or 3 in their position up against others in the tournament. I'd say Sheehan, Beirne, Doris, Sexton, JGP, VDF, Keenan, Hansen and Ringrose would be close to any tournament 23 before a shot is fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Hope I'm wrong but I don't get the almost overwhelming optimism from both pundits and public that we're thing to go deep in this world cup. Whichever quarter final we get is 50/50 at best. Can't see Sexton staying injury free either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If we beat SA, I don't think Sexton will face Scotland. We should hopefully be through to the QF at that point barring some mathematical quirks. Sexton will probably be physically banged up a bit after that game and the 3 week break would be great for him. It would also tie in with him featuring in some capacity in the first three games.

I can see all three outhalves getting significant game time in this tournament.

Was it the SA game in November where Sexton made something like 10 / 12 tackles in the match?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

First off - I want Ireland to win the World Cup and absolutely believe they have a squad capable of doing so but the draw is incredibly tough and having to play 3 of the Top 5 ranked teams to get to a SF is a huge task , but again one that I think we can achieve.

Having said that , my biggest issue with Irelands previous World Cup displays has not necessarily been losing in the QF , it's been the manner of those losses.

For each and every one we have looked at those QF exits as games where Ireland massively under-performed.

So - If Ireland were to lose a QF or SF then whilst I'll be utterly gutted I at least want to be able to say afterwards that we played to the best of our abilities but lost to a better team - I will take some small succor from that.

Going out because we under-performed as we have done in every other World Cup QF is simply not acceptable.

I note that Conan didn't appear in yesterday's training photos at all. He had previously trained and was hoping to back it up with an increased workload.

Makes me wonder if there has been a set back there. I can't see them leaving Prendergast at home and starting Doris in 4 consecutive games (which now seems relatively likely) if they knew Conan was likely to be absent for the Romania and Tonga matches.

Tend to agree - Initially we were told that it wasn't as bad as the 2019 injury and that he'd be back , but for him to still be missing a month later is very concerning.

Kilcoyne is a worry too for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Obviously won't happen but is there anything to be said for putting out the second string against south africa, given that there's not much difference between playing France or nz in the quarter... 🤣

• Advertisement

Kilcoyne at least was on the field yesterday so I'd be less concerned. He could be seen in some of the footage of training. POC said he expected Kilcoyne to be available for Tonga.

POC was fairly vague on Conan and Sheehan yesterday. They seemed to be very much more hoping and expecting them to feature which is somewhat expected on Sheehan but less ideal on Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Posted these criteria before somewhere, taken from Wikipedia, but the concerning one for me is the head to head results, second tie-breaking criterion. If we lose to Scotland and beat South Africa it would be very dodgy, as it would then go to match points scored head to head, bonus points against SA and Scotland will become very important, then total points difference in the whole pool.

Tie-breaking criteria for pool play

The ranking of teams in the pool stage is determined as follows:

1. Points obtained in all pool matches;
    2. Points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
    3. Points difference in all pool matches;
    4. Tries difference in all pool matches;
    5. Number of points scored in all pool matches;
    6. Number of tries scored in all pool matches;
    7. Official World Rugby Rankings;

For example, if SA get more bonus points than us and Scotland they’ll top the group, and then if Scotland beat us we’ll be out, regardless of whether we beat SA or not.

So the only way to look at it for now until the mathematics of it become more clear as the pool progresses, is we will have to be prepared to need to win all matches.

Furthermore, points diff (as well as bonus points) against Romania and Tonga could become very important in a three-way tie.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nope, anything could happen against scotland. a poor tackle, a bad ref decision etc.

its always better to have your own control in your own hands

100% - Go out to win every game and win them well.

Playing silly buggers could end in disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭joficeduns1

Sheehan, Conan, and Kilcoyne all not present for today's training warm up per Murray Kinsella. Still hopeful for Tonga allegedly.

We're getting awful close to RWC kickoff now, fierce exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No clearly not, because that puts us at risk of not qualifying, even if we did beat Scotland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any front or back row suspensions in this opener and we'll have a real **** situation on our hands.

Has Baird ever played 8? With no Coombes or Prendergast we kind of need someone to be able to slot in there. I can't remember if Beirne played there for the Scarlets or if I'm mixing him up with Robin Copeland.

Beirne did play there a few times for the Scarlets and was found badly wanting. Think he started the Pro14 final in Dublin there and was near anonymous. They had to move him on scrums, I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In a pinch you'd just put POM or JVDF there, these are not particularly difficult games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

According to all.rugby Beirne got five starts at 8 for the Scarlets in '17/'18.

O'Mahony started at 8 against Gloucester in '13/'14 and versus Sale the following season.

Advertisement