Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

A bit late to the party here. But I caught a little bit of Playback Saturday morning and it sounded like Joe had a guest.Who didn't realise they were on air.

Something a long the lines of the calluer ringing in, being told to hold while they waited to go on air. The calluer had a caller to thir house, got distracted forgot they where due to go on. Then sat down and had a convo with their house caller.

Joe put then put them on air. With the calluer then spending the remaining 30 minutes on air having their private conversation broadcast on Radio One.

Did this happen?

• The Radisson & other hotels in Athlone make the Clarion Collection in Bergen, Norway (a famously expensive country) look like a bargain basement deal. For exactly same dates I would pay a total of €410 for single use double room, free cancellation, breakfast included, evening meal included , afternoon coffee & waffles included. Located right at the bus terminus on airport bus & in the most salubrious location imaginable. I’ve stayed in this hotel and can heartily recommend it. If I were to pay same as Athlone I’d get the top luxurious prestige room in the hotel for that. We are now paying Hawaii prices in Ireland.

• It did. That’s what you get for keeping people endlessly dangling on the line. It can happen too you don’t get on at all if Joe has something pressing to discuss like the price of confetti for weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think what the poster is saying is that Joe played a private conversation between the two people live on air which was not a good thing.

When he did get her on the show he discuss the information that he over heard on the phone while she was talking to her friend.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Joe will be all over this today.

RTE news : Principal suspended amid allegations of abuse

http://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0906/1403625-school-principal-suspension/

• The conversation could have turned anywhere private/personal at any time, very unprofessional to try and continue it. Researcher should have been trying to see if they could possibly alert the caller and connect with Joe. Anything meant for entirely private conversation could have been said about any family member or neighbours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

I wonder if dat is the same principle who won the court case, after being suspended.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Unless it happened 30 years ago, Joe will have no interest in this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,121 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Joe talks and talks

Speaking on his show, Joe said: “Can I tell you a story about John Gilligan? A story he didn’t tell last night that I have almost direct knowledge of because I arrived on the scene a few minutes afterwards and I know it was him who did it.

“It’s the Gala Cinema in Ballyfermot and Gilligan struts in, he went around as if he owned everything. He went up to the snooker and immediately told whoever was playing the snooker to get the f**k off the table.

“Whoever the young chap was, in fairness to him he refused, he obviously didn’t know who Gilligan was. Gilligan walked back out, down to his house and got a hammer. The chap who stood up to him is now at the slot machines with his back to Gilligan.

What does Gilligan do? Hit him on the head with a hammer. There’s bravery for you.“You never got that sense from him last night as he rambled along with his sun tan and his designer beard as he rambled along the promenade. He never ever, ever took into account he was injuring people.”

A frustrated Joe said he “abhors” violence and the glorification of it.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that when it comes to violence, I think people know my attitude – I abhor it. I abhor the glorification of it because people don’t realise the long-term impacts of violence. Bullets never stop travelling.

“Does anyone ever think the bullet that was organised for Dutchy Holland to put into Veronica, does anyone believe those bullets stop travelling?”

That is awful. How long did he let the thing play out on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

What day was that “spy” convo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

As much as I can't stand John Gilligan - it would be hilarious if Joe had to read out an on-air apology to him for accusing him of a crime that he didn't even witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In true Liveline fashion I only heard a small bit of yesterday's show but I'm going to make a comment on it anyway.

I heard briefly about the man who lost his 2 daughters in a crash that also killed two others including a young child. Now I remember it well cos I travelled that same stretch of road a few hours before the collision.

That stretch of road is part of the main road between our 2nd and (probably) 4th largest cities. There are hairpen bends, a major 4 crossroad, pedestrian crossings in two villages (pedestrian died only during the summer on the main street in one of these villages).

They have talked about building a new road linking these two cities for decades. It got the green light a while back but Eamon Ryan pulled the plug on it as part of the programme for govenment agreement.

Engineering solutions would have cut out deaths on this really bad, really busy road but no, our people in charge say no, we will keep a 100 year old road as the main road between Cork and Limerick.

This Chambers fella talking about just reducing speed limits of the roads from 100 to 80, 80 to 60, 50 to 30 is talking through his hole. Stupid stuff.

It's a disgrace Joe. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I can't find yesterday's show on the player has it been pulled, heard the first 15 minutes yesterday and joe was sailing in to very dangerous territory, I don't know if he is very brave or very stupid but I would suspect giligan has still plenty friends around Dublin That could pop in and say hi to Joe.

• About 10 minutes, he went back and forth to it, calling down the phone to the woman who had probably got so weary hanging in the line that she got into chat with a neighbour who had just dropped by, unaware the line had been switched on. Joe was all giddy about catching her out.

I see yesterday's rant has been pulled from the Live Line podcasts. Will Joe be in wurk today? Is Kevin looking for a 30 page report to land on this desk? Does Joe now need protection? Answers on a Post Card to de Live Line, Montrose, Dublin 4.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• JOE

Car crash tragedy from yesterday. Driving test needs to be reformed.

More car crash trauma victims & deths on de road .

Joe is still gainfully employed:

• Remembering Deloris and others who died on a car trash.
    • Car Crashes and speed limits.

• Advertisement

What a dick. Imagine she had said something personal or defamatory. Creepy fupper.

Quoted above:

Speaking on his show, Joe said: “Can I tell you a story about John Gilligan? A story he didn’t tell last night that I have almost direct knowledge of because I arrived on the scene a few minutes afterwards and I know it was him who did it.

“It’s the Gala Cinema in Ballyfermot and Gilligan struts in, he went around as if he owned everything. He went up to the snooker and immediately told whoever was playing the snooker to get the f**k off the table.

“Whoever the young chap was, in fairness to him he refused, he obviously didn’t know who Gilligan was. Gilligan walked back out, down to his house and got a hammer. The chap who stood up to him is now at the slot machines with his back to Gilligan.

What does Gilligan do? Hit him on the head with a hammer. There’s bravery for you.“You never got that sense from him last night as he rambled along with his sun tan and his designer beard as he rambled along the promenade. He never ever, ever took into account he was injuring people.”

A frustrated Joe said he “abhors” violence and the glorification of it.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that when it comes to violence, I think people know my attitude – I abhor it. I abhor the glorification of it because people don’t realise the long-term impacts of violence. Bullets never stop travelling.

“Does anyone ever think the bullet that was organised for Dutchy Holland to put into Veronica, does anyone believe those bullets stop travelling?”

"Almost direct knowledge"

"Arrived a few minutes afterwards"

Classic Liveline caller, is our Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

"Almost direct knowledge"

"Arrived a few minutes afterwards"

Classic Liveline caller, is our Joe.

Yep, that'll stand up just fine in the Defamation case in the High Court!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

A defamation action is unlikely because you first have to have a good reputation capable of being damaged and in this case Gilligan has not got one.

RTE interviewing RTE about their handout. Shortfall of ~20m but ~30m required.

Lads you know the reality is 1,800 staff is madness.

In any case, it's media broadcasting 101 and basic common sense to NOT throw around accusations like that about someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

True, but Joe has a long history of doing that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Did Duffy say de Gilligan fella got done for dat ? I'm sure he has more than a few things on his early record like de scumbag he is

If so, I spose he can say what he wants, relying on the facts established considering he wasn't a witness to feck all.

Kathryn Thomas' mother once drove past de Gala Cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Feck it. I missed the first bit yesterday. Only caught the death segment at the end. Was going to listen back later.

Advertisement