Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'd have a normal lunch and then usually something light like toast or a bagel 60-90 mins before the session. Followed by a normal dinner when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Same here. Sometimes a banana instead of toast, and even that is probably just because I'm telling myself I should eat something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

Sounds pretty ideal so. A lot of runners miss out on the benefit of gym work, but if you're working through exercises regularly, especially with some guidance, then it sounds like you're doing it right. Enjoy

As with most of the eating aspects of training, it's quite individual. I knew a few guys who could walk up to the start line of a race eating a sandwich and not have any issues, while if others even saw food an hour before a race they'd feel nauseous during. Experiment with what works for you and helps you get the balance of not feeling hungry / drained heading into your run, while also avoiding an uncomfortable belly full of food bouncing along with every step.

Most of my training at the moment is at 7pm, so I have a big lunch a bit earlier than usual (around 11:00-11:30am) then another smaller snack around 4pm (e.g. some toast with banana and honey). I'm someone who can't eat close to a run or I immediately feel sick, but I also struggle with energy if I haven't eaten in several hours. It took a while to figure it out but once I found a system that worked it's served me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

How are we all set for the HM on the 23 Sept? I was hoping to run 21k today, but not sure if I can face that heat. Did a 5k last night and it was tough (and usually they are a walk in the park!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Think I am in ok shape. This weather will be over next week so dont stress too much about not being able to get out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dublin HM.

Will be cooler next week.

I'm continuing my streak of pacing the <1h40 group uninterrupted (except C19) since 2012.

Say hello if that's your target!

Post edited by BeepBeep67 on

Oh god, BeepBeep, I will be lucky to get 2.10! Last HM was 1.52 I think but I am now older, greyer and fatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone any suggestions on bike sessions while marathon training when unable to run but can bike until I’m back on the feet again

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can't find it now but I was reading an article yesterday by a (good) Ironman athlete who got injured and couldn't run until 5 weeks before the event (and still managed a 3:30-ish run leg on the day). From memory he basically did one long cycle a week (like 3-4 hours at brisk pace) and two-three medium-high intensity interval sessions. His approach was essentially to ditch the usual 80/20 rule in favour of higher intensity, since he was used to a certain (high) level of training stress and could handle it without overtraining risk (because he wasn't running).

A lot depends on your cycling history, because if you plunge too deep into it without being reasonably well conditioned already you risk just getting differently injured, and obviously depends on what sort of injury is keeping you off your feet. Cycling is light on the lower legs (feet/ankles/calves) but heavy enough on the knees, hips, hamstrings and core, so if you have lower leg issues like achilles you'll be safer cycling than (say) with a knee or IT band issue which cycling can make worse.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks

It’s all lower. I can do it all on a turbo so don’t need to worry about rain etc just sweat like hell at home. I managed 2+ hours outdoors yesterday easy effort without issue. Getting it checked in a few weeks to see where I’m I could be. 12 weeks till marathon but had planed Dublin as a long training run. I’ll have to cycle more to cut on some easy runs I guess to manage the load. Just them speed and tempo sessions and long runs are the ones you mainly miss

I really like the bike as crosstraining for marathon distance. There are a lot of marathon runners with ambitious race goals who struggle with the higher running volume usually prescribed for longer distance race prep. I find that using the bike to boost aerobic fitness, without putting nearly as much impact on the body, is a great addition to race prep. Regardless of whether you're injured or not.

Long multiple hour slogs on the turbo can be a head wreck though (for me at least). Shorter interval sessions of 30-40mins at Heart Rate Zone 3-4 helped me to run a great season of races after a stress fracture. I only ran once per week (with the sole goal of building up tolerance to weight bearing) and did all of my real "fitness" work on the bike / in the pool.

You can pretty much make up any session you want by following some simple guide lines.

1) Aim for primarily aerobic efforts, with at least a 2-1 work to rest ratio. Some anaerobic work can be helpful for marathon prep but really you want to build that aerobic base.

2) I recommend using heart rate (HR) as your training effort guide. If you're not as experienced on the bike it can be tougher to translate the relative effort of training paces to watts, but your HR lets you know if you're working hard enough.

3) Keep it enjoyable. Injuries suck enough already, but so many athletes decided to essentially "punish" themselves by making crosstraining the most miserable experience on earth. Mix up your workouts and do some fun stuff you probably wouldn't do if you were just running as normal.

Some of my favourite bike sessions

10-12 x 3 min @ Zone 3 [60 sec recovery]

20-24 x 60 sec @ Zone 4 [30 sec recovery]

Fun one for when you couldn't be bothered - Pick a playlist you like but ensure that the music has a clear drop or breakdown. Aim for a steady Zone 2 (4-5/10) effort but every time there is a drop / chorus / breakdown, up your pace and aim to hold a Zone 4 (7-8/10) effort for as long as it goes on for. Set a timer for 40-60 mins and just let the music determine your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Some great advice there Rick.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

Hi guys,

I really ramped up my running this year.

Half marathon in Madrid in April with a very half ar$ed build up, long runs one week, no runs then for a couple of weeks.

After Madrid I knuckles down and started training properly, with some advice from you guys here.

Since then I have clocked up almost 700km running 4 times a week.

I was away for a couple of weeks in August, tried some short runs while away but it was too hot. Once I got back I went straight back into my training, pulled a muscle and had to stop again.

The Dublin half marathon is next week, so I will have had 3weeks to get get back to a decent condition for it but I am really struggling with motivation to get up and get my runs in.

A week to go and I have had to force myself out the door for every run.

I dont know if it is because the race is almost here, or if I am just tired of the running.

Any advice on getting motivation or drive back would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Sounds like the injury left you doubting yourself. Treat it like a long run, get the tee shirt, high five some spectators and go for a steak after. Running with a few thousand hyped up runners will give you a jump start for sure.

Then sign up for another race 😃

Good shout.

Hopefully that's all it is.

The buzz from the crowd might just be all I need.

Really looking forward to a well earned "rehydration session" that evening after the run though

I know a guy who drinks HEAVILY the night before a long race.... I have no idea why he does that to himself.

The thoughts of a heavy session before any kind of a race, nevermind before a long one.

Sounds like some good ole pre-race nerves. Getting an injury in the middle of race prep can be really demoralising, especially if it's reasonably close to race day, and can make the whole thing feel a bit pointless. I've been there plenty of times myself. But something I've found that helped me to keep getting out the door for my runs and, more importantly, to enjoy race day itself, is to keep in mind all the work that I did get done pre/post injury.

If you've clocked up the better part of 700km and consistently run 4x per week over the past 6 months, I'd wager that you're in the shape of your life right now. Even with the break for your injury, you did a whole lot of base training work. Throw in 3 weeks to do some race sharpening efforts and get some confidence back in your legs, and you've done plenty to see a great race day result.

There will always be things that go wrong and race prep is never perfect (I don't think I ever felt 100% ready for any of my races). But I absolutely agree with @marathon2022, go out and enjoy it. It's often the races where you go in with zero expectations that you end up surprising yourself with a super high quality run.

Maybe I have been too hard on myself.

Initially was aiming for a sub 2hour, but pushing for around 1:54 time (Garmin race predictor said I was able for that, so I pushed myself)

Current best is 2:02 at the end of July, which is about 80seconds faster than the Dublin half marathon last year

I think I should focus on finishing as close to the 2hours without pressuring myself for a 1:54.

I do tend to keep pushing myself to go faster and have made a huge effort over the summer to slow down and not focus on beating times with every single run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Quick question, considering I will have eaten breakfast a couple of hours before the Dublin marathon, would eating a protein bar say 30mins before the off, be a good idea to stop me getting hungry during the race. I was also thinking of eating a banana instead and bringing another with me to eat an hour into the race. I'll be honest, I currently eat breakfast, porridge and yogurt at 7am and then a snack around 10am and lunch at 12-30, so during the race, (aiming for a 4-20 finish) I'll have missed out on both. My current long runs tend to be between meal times, but I still get hungry during them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

You really need to test this stuff out on your long runs. Don't try anything new on the day.

I had similar thoughts last week. I'm doing Amsterdam marathon and am prepping for there not being a breakfast option in the hotel.

I tried a protein bar an hour before Sunday's run to see if I cramped.

That's one of the main purposes of your long runs, testing this stuff.

Everyone is different and will handle things differently so there's no real option other than practising what works.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

A banana or two is easy to digest, no harm bringing one with you and a light (not too dry) bar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

As said, test this out. Personally I wouldnt have a protein bar, can be very hard to digest. Do you take gels or how do you fuel your long runs currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What have you been doing before and during your long runs in your marathon training to date? That's where you try out these things.

In terms of timing your breakfast nearer the race - how are you travelling in? Can you bring your porridge in a disposable tub and eat it on the way or as soon as you arrive in Dublin? What are you fuelling with during your long runs so far? I'd recommend eating a banana pre-race rather than a protein bar - those bars can be quite heavy and your body would take more work to digest it and may upset your system during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Currently take a gel at 40mins, 1hr20, 2hrs, and 2hrs 40 haven't gone long enough yet to warrant a 5th gel, might on my last long run 32K weekend after this, during my runs I have a high 5 carb energy mix in my water. Plan to do a full rehearsal this Sunday, by doing a 1/2 at race pace 6-10 per K, gentle jog/walk parkrun Sat morning, follow a carb load plan during the day, and Sun get up at race day time, eat breakfast and start my run at the wave three start time. I will be hungry, just ate a bagel at 9-45 as I write this, so I reckon I'll eat a banana and bring one with me, I'll sip my energy drink during the morning, but just bring water with me. Might an energy bar as opposed to a protein bar be better, to be honest I was thinking protein to stop me feeling hungry.

Sounds like a great strategy. It usually takes a few frustration to face it, but the sooner you can accept that not every race can be your best, the longer you'll stick with and enjoy the sport. When training goes well and you're feeling fit and ready to attack a PB, it's hard to beat the feeling. But if you start to make that the only reason you run, it's inevitably going to cause you a lot of frustration and may even lead you to stop enjoying your running.

There will always be more races and more chances to hit your PBs, but not if you get so frustrated that you quit. Give it your best shot and make sure to enjoy it.

Yeah, I think the injury in the weeks coming up to the race put my target time off and knocked me back.

Went out yesterday and ran 11k at a comfortable pace and ignored speed, just focused on getting a last run in before Saturday.

I almost enjoyed it, wasn't hating every step, which is a good start for tomorrow.

I am still waiting for this mysterious "runners high" though 😂

It's usually best not to mess with your eating strategy the day of the race. As a few people have highlighted above, it's best to test these things out before your long runs to see how your body and stomach reacts to different eating strategies. You still have a few weeks to test out some breakfast + snack combos before race day so you can refine what works best for you.

On race day itself, you ideally want to stick to simple carbs which will fuel your run (porridge, bananas, bagels, etc.), with a small amount of protein to help you feel more full (approx 10-20g), and avoid anything high in fat . Fats and proteins are slower to digest than carbs, so they will sit in your stomach/digestive tract for longer and are more likely to cause issues during the race.

This strategy sounds great! Race day adrenaline will also help to reduce how hungry you feel, so you can focus more about fueling for the run itself rather than eating enough for hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

If your normal breakfast is porridge and yoghurt one possible solution is to try practice the next few weeks with overnight oats, could allow a bit more logistical freedom to eat a little closer to race time than having to have before you head out the door.

Banana also a good option for on the go.

The other option and one I used before was to keep my usual routine (breakfast and snack) with same interval between only wake up that bit earlier (IIRC it meant 4am breakfast and 7am snack) but I had got my full night sleep and wanted the extra time awake as it was my normal routine to run closer to midday and suited my circadian rhythm - not a morning runner optimally at the time always took the body a long while to feel fully woken up.

Advertisement