Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wer in the no going back now phase of climate change it seems

30c in September? When I was a kid 24c was extremely warm for September

Also I told my son Canada was an icy place.

No doubt more records of all types in the next 12 months for Ireland.

Probably rainfall records in Winter though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think I've ever had a temperature higher than 25C in September at my location, I know we got close during September 2016 where we got about a 25.4C but if I manage to get 26C over the next few days this could be the warmest September day on record for this part of Meath.

Arpege going for 28C for my location on Friday, not feeling confident this will verify as getting 28C in this part of Meath is something very rare even under the most perfect of conditions mid July. I'm still waiting to beat 24C which is the warmest temperature we've had at this location this year, that could fall today.

IMT for Shannon 18.1c after 5 days

Record is 15.7c

May go to an IMT of 20c before next weeks cool weather.

Would need an average of 13.2c to not break September record then for every day after the 11th. Possible but not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Meath county September record is 26.3C at Kells on 5th September 1991.

Dunsany record is only 24.1C from 5th September 1999. It had 23.9C on 5th September 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remember a 26c in Dublin at the very end of September, not sure of the year but it might have been 2011 or 12?

Very unusual for this country after the equinox.

edit: It must have been 2011, a few days later and it would’ve been an October record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I'm not far from kells and today feels the warmest day of this spell. The humidity has probably alot to do with, but only for this cloudy bank hanging around l'm sure the Meath September record could be touched

It reminds me of the cloud that drifted in on the afternoon of July last year just as we were on the brink of breaking the record. The cloud in parts here today look like they could develop into something ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Earlier on was lovely and sunny but it's almost gone completely cloudy here now, this will definitely limit the temperature potential if it stays like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sun in and out in Kildare 22c

It was 2011. 25.7C at Phoenix Park was the highest temp of the year and the highest Sep temp since 1906 yet it occurred on the 28th! Heat would have built up more in my opinion if it lasted but it didn't. We instead got a two-day deluge on the 30th September and 1st October whilst England basked with 29.9C in Kent just failing the 30C mark on 1st October. Most people remember the 24th October 2011 for obvious reasons but the 1st in of itself was a very wet day too.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow Warning

High Temperature warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very warm and humid weather on Thursday and Friday. Daytime temperatures in excess of 27 degrees in many areas away from coasts with night time temperatures not falling below 15 degrees.

Potential impacts:

Heat stress

• Uncomfortable sleeping conditions

• Risk of water related incidents

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 07/09/2023 to 08:00 Saturday 09/09/2023

Issued: 11:38 Wednesday 06/09/2023

Going to Enniscrone beach Friday. It will be 12c there. Its never warm when we go. JOKE. Could be 26c. Wel see.

Just out of interest for my part of the world, how and where was the kells temperature recorded?

I hope it wasn't from a new maroon Opel Kadett parked on the church tarmac 🤭

Malin Head 23c at 12pm. Noteworthy!

Dunsany now 24C, September record likely to fall today. Phoenix Park currently 25C, that could go to 26 or 27C later if we can keep sea breezes to a minimum and sunshine to as maximum as possible. These September records could get smashed again on Friday.

Thanks very much for that, pity it's closed. Your knowledge of the weather and it's statistics , not to mention photography, is staggering.

I don't know why I'm so fascinated with Malin Head but it's 24c now at 1pm.

I suppose I'm just happy for the long suffering Malin Headers.

Warm and good sunshine in Kildare now 24°c

They're headers up there in Malin alright 🤭

• Advertisement

That must be a high there. Thanks for the Malin Heads up.

2nd half of September the storms start if we believe GFS. Even hurricane Lee joins up with one of our lows. Could be flooding that day. A long long way away but storms showing on many runs.

24c for 3rd day in a row in Sligo. That's good going too. But why are people wearing jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

In fairness it's a highly exposed location, which for all intents and purposes could be out at sea. Not sure many people live nearby and it wouldn't really be representative of the weather for the wider area.

Even just one or two KMs further inland and it would be a fair bit warmer.

But Malin Head had the country's highest July temperature - so plenty of strange things there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Phoenix park 26 degrees at 2pm

I was at it in August 2019. This is the station's location. Very strongly exposed!

However, it did record the 3rd highest Sep temp on record in the country with 28.9C on 1st September 1906.

Thanks as always!

You're such a wealth of great infomation.

Dublin Airport just shy of 25º - looks like it could beat its September record.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

What do ye reckon the max temp will be between now and Saturday and Where? a little short sharp competition for fun maybe?

Oak Park 29.4 equaled by the Phoenix Park.

Edit: And not forgetting Malin Head, in with a great shout 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

25c here atm,my warmest September day since exactly same date in 2016. Temperature might not be 100% accurate , but still reckon it is my warmest September day since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Its proximity to the coast becomes meaningless when there's a southerly wind. Valentia proved it can do the same when there's a east or northeasterly wind.

Here in Balbriggan a warm southwesterly breeze is winning the battle against a cold southeasterly sea breeze just offshore. Cumulus cloud bubbling off the land vanishes as it hits the colder air just offshore. Wall to wall blue skies over the sea.

If the cloud makes it to the coast without vanishing, it means the sea breeze hasn't reached us.

So far I've stayed on the warm side. Touching 26C now.

Blue skies towards Skerries and beyond suggest it's possibly a little cooler further down the coast.

If it was June, it's possible the sea breeze would have developed stronger and cooled us from late morning on.

Advertisement