Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would any country allow people with minivans, or caravans to park, and live wherever they like? I very much doubt it.

Frederick looks like a bit of a crusty to me, and I doubt he built his home over the last couple of weeks since he came to Ireland. I suspect Frederick wants someone to give him free parking, in the van he brought from his home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah that seems quite clear from the most cursory look. He says he is completely self sufficient in his self built campervan that looks pretty lived-in in the photo, having only arrived in Ireland 2 weeks ago. You'd have to be pretty gullible or totally blinded by confirmation bias to think that he arrived here, saw house prices, and the first thing that came to mind was to source and buy a transit van, modify it and learn how to live like that in the space of a couple of weeks. It's very obvious this is simply his chosen lifestyle that he took with him from his home country.

The main take aways from the article are that our world class education system continues to draw in PHD students from countries like Germany, and UCD have a pretty common sense policy of not allowing anyone with a caravan to just rock up and claim some public space on campus to live in, because that would lead to chaos and I can't imagine there are many similar establishments in the world that would allow such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

If hes doing a PhD in UCD his stipend is about €18,500 a year. Theres no way to afford rent in Dublin and live on that. Thats root cause of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do we not have fire and safety regulations relating to the numbers of people that can be accommodated in a property.

It does not appear to be listed as a concern amongst the many others in a dodgy combined daft and Airbnb let for students that have to be out for Fridays so that it can accommodate others at weekends.

400ft2 air space per person, so for the three bunks, that is 2400, assuming a ceiling height of 8 ft, that is a floor area of 300ft2, roughly 17 x 17. (Size of a small garage or large master bedroom) That room does look pretty big, so it may just meet the requirements.

Listed as a concern where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

What Fire requirements apply will be dictated to a large extent as to the approved useage under planning.

Typically a residential dwelling (which can be rented by multiple unrelated persons) doesnt have restrictions per se on numbers of people accommodated, but the fact there are a lot of beds and they have to clear out once a week would make this more akin to short term accommodation rather than normal private rental.

It can be a bit of a grey area and ultimately it will be up to the local Council to take enforcement action if there is a breach of planning and building regulations. Although enforcement is typically a last resort.

It does seem odd that the guidance is that permission for stl should be refused in rent pressure zones, yet a politician with strong connections to the enforcing County Council has all 3 of his properties on airbnb

Meanwhile sligo town has 2 properties on Daft, while 60 are on airbnb

All listings have been removed since this story got media attention

That looks like a wide angle lens photo to me. I'd doubt it very much if that room meets those requirements

What's a single bed measurement 6ft * 3ft that makes 1 wall 11ft (bunk beds side by side) at best with little space between bunks. the other wardrobe plus single bed length + width possibly 12 to 14ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

One question: Who actually has permission?

Long lost track of the extent someone needs to take the p!ss before enforcement action is even on the table.

The article seems to indicate that the son lets the properties, are you saying the councillor is the actual owner? And wouldn’t it be the planning office, rather than the councillors who grant permission?

• Advertisement

1. I misread the original twitter post, plus one of the properties appears to be owned by his mother. This is not going on unknown to the county councillor

2 as my resident committee neighbour member in his 70's says. They're all the same boots under the one decision making table

All ads removed immediately after getting media attention, if everything was kosher they'd still be posted.

We've already raised one fire safety issue, in addition the bunk bed is obstructing the window. When I changed windows in 2015, I was informed that the window opening must be sufficient to aide escape in the event of emergency. I'd imagine to have a window obstructed in a chronically overcrowded room in a country that has record of building non compliant buildings in relation to fire safety would be off deep concern to the county councils fire officer.

Going by twitter the ad has been reported to revenue, media and the county council so it will be intresting to see what, if any action will be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

705k for a new build 4 bed in Clay Farm. Assuming you can save up say 75k you’re borrowing 630k there between a mortgage and the first home scheme.

There’s no reality in which prices like these are sustainable in the current interest rate environment. Between this and the mad prices for new builds out in Cherrywood, who is paying these prices? I think I read something about the Indian government subsidising their own citizens relocation to here and they are largely the ones buying at these prices, surely not??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think most people buying these (besides councils, reits and charities) are people who have a house to sell.

Some people selling their old house, say getting €400k for it and a bit of cash saved might only need half that for a mortgage.

I also know a few people who have sold rental properties then decided to move into a better house to live the rest of their days. Sell your old house plus your investment and trade up to a nice walk in new build for yourself.

Lots of different types of people in the market. They arent all FTBs. Arent all even people, but are government funded bodies etc. So there is always a buyer to be found even if the seller has to ask the council "Hey, got a heap of houses here. Want them for X?" to get them sold. House prices wont be falling til there are no buyers and it looks like that isnt going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

On a 35 year mortgage at 4% (fixed for life with Avant). That works out roughly as €2,800 a month. €1,400 a month each for a couple. €2,650 if you fixed on the 5 year AIB green rate, and hope rates come down 5 years from now.

Slightly more than the rent on a 2 bed apartment in South Dublin/ North Wicklow these days…but for a 4 bed house.

And unlike the rent, in 20 years time the mortgage will still be €2,800 whereas your rent is going to go up 2% year on year, and that’s if you don’t get evicted. Your salary should also be rising year on year quickly making the mortgage much more affordable.

It’s a no brainer financially if you’re currently exposed to the rental market without government support and can get the required mortgage approval

Thinking of a move next summer, it will be on a chain so my understanding is that we will be going sale agreed before bidding for another house.

My question is, how long is a reasonable or even a typical time to be sale agreed while trying to find your new home. I do have sympathy for buyers who are sale agreed but not finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

There is no such scheme

And regarding who is buying them (not me of-course) I know MANY(can't emphasize on this) couples in Tech looking for first house who can easily afford 700-800k no problem without any family/govt help, Decent earning tech salary is 100k and above, a couple making average would be 200k base which makes it 800k of mortgage approval. Now wether that is a good use of money or a appriciating asset to buy a house for 800k that is a separate question and everyone's opinion is different.

Also monthly mortgage would still be lower than renting a standard 2-3Bed apartment in south Dublin today even at those high mortgage rates

In the absence of a signed contract of sale, you will be at the very bottom of the list of preferred bidders. Without a house to sell, you are at the top with cash buyers. Sell your house first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Those 4 beds in Clay Farm actually represent quite good value at €705K I think when it comes to €/square foot, definitely compared to many 2nd hand properties in Dublin! €404 per square foot. I sold a small 3-bed just up the road from there last year, which 2nd hand of course needed a bit of work and was not A-rated BER, for €500/square foot, and on my house tracker from back then loads of houses in Dublin 18 sold for €500+/square foot according to the PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

All good for now when they earn a decent salary by 2.

What about Artificial intelligence for the future of the tech industry salaries? How do they know they will earn the same in few years?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I'd assume your fictional tech couple would just brazen it out and stay in the house while paying a tiny monthly sum off the interest.

Just like every the holders of every other failed mortgage that should have been evicted but wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Average FTB mortgage is 280k

Average non FTB mortgage is 330k

There are almost no FTBs buying houses on 700k mortgage. Those houses will almost all be purchased by people selling a house to realise equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Of course FTBs buying 700k mortgages are relatively small as percentage of total, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty. The average country wide doesn’t tell you the full picture and unfortunately the lending stats don’t give a full distribution that I can see.

Average property value country wide for an FTB - €340k

Average property value bought by FTB in Dublin - c€410k

Average FTB in South County Dublin not available but certainly higher than €410k. Call it €450k.

If the average in SCD is €450k, there is certainly a chunk at €700k and well beyond. Anecdotes are rarely useful and are naturally skewed by an individuals own social circles but I know a significant number of FTBs who’ve bought houses for €700k and (much) more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Being Sale Agreed is painfully slow. You are lucky if it is measured in weeks rather than months.

Easier said than done. In a normal market you could sell up, move in to a rental for 6-12 months to allow you time to purchase a new house.

But with no rentals available, people are choosing to sit this out rather than sell up, so less houses for sale and round it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

eh its not normally its buy and sell at the same time or at least the majority of people I know that is how they work why would you fork out 20/30k on rent for a year when if you do it right it will cost you nothing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I bought and sold at the same time in June 2022 with no issues. I didn't even consider selling first, it seemed like a crazy option to me.

That isn’t normal, that is wishful thinking. There is a difference.

Before things went bonkers you could rent a decent house for 6 months at €1200/m which would cost €7,200. I know plenty folks who did exactly this and it took the stress out of moving if they hadnt found the right house when they went to exchange contracts.

Now same house now would be 3 times that to rent, assuming you could find one, so this is no longer an option. Ive had several agents all say that this is a contributing factor to the lack of second houses for sale.

You got lucky, given the competition for houses, the time taken for sales to complete, and the risk of either the loan offer, or the buyer of your house running out, the seller took a risk on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think I know of a single person who has ever done this in reality while sizing up. Even family members back in the late 90s/early 2000s when things were different.

It was always sell your house and buy at the same time in a chain.

Advertisement