Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov Plans to reduce speed limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Very much agree about the N52. I regularly travel to/from Longford and Trim. The upgraded N52 National Secondary road between Mullingar and Delvin is a fantastic single carriageway of that classification. Completely realigned in many places, no sharp bends, lots of long straight, generally excellent sightlines and has dedicated right turn lanes in the central median. The road is wide, the emergency lane/hard shoulder can fully allow a standard sized car to fit into it. The speed limit is 100 km/h. I often use this stretch of the N52 for all the good reason above and always in off-peak hours so the road is nice and quiet and I can set the cruise control to an indicated 105 km/r and probably not have to do anything but steer until I get to the approach at Delvin. From Delvin, I then take the (recently resurfaced) N51 from Delvin to Athboy and finally the R154 from there to Trim. The journey time is almost (to within 1 minute) identical to an alternative to use the R156 which passes through Killucan, Raharney and Ballivor.

The problem here is that the R156 is a very windy road, rather narrow for an R road, generally bad sightlines, no hard shoulder.......in short, not a great road. However if the speed limit on the N52 between Mullingar and Delvin drops from 100 to 80, this will add around 3 minutes to my journey time if I take that route so if I'm in any sort of rush, I will then take the far less safe road which would also has an 80 km/h limit.

N52 (currently 100 km/h limit, may be dropped to 80:

R156 (currently an 80 km/h limit and not likely to change). I picked a straight stretch of road to show how narrow it is and lacking hard shoulders however it is actually very windy.:

More feet on the beat and more wheels on the streets and Irish crime plummets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Insane to think about reducing speed limits when there are no resources to police what we have at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Why the need to set cruise control to 105kph ? What's wrong with 98/99 or 100 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Because car speedos over read the cars actual speed. Mine registers 104kph when I’m actually doing 100kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

At first this morning it sounded like all National roads would drop from 100 to 80 and all regionals from 80 to 60

Now it seems that it will be only secondary national roads will be 80 and only some regional roads will be 60 but the local authority will have discretion on which ones will stay at the higher limits in both cases

Not sure exactly how much will change

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

There are a few regional roads around me that are definitely candidates for 60. Some are much better though.

Sections of the R154 eastbound from Trim and the R161 between Navan and Trim are 100 km/h and are fine for it. Always felt the old 80 limit was just that little bit too slow for the fine roads that they are. A drop to 60 on them would be agonising but thankfully I don't use them often but I do use the upgraded R158 from Trim to Kilcock (via Summerhill) a fair bit. That was realigned and upgraded about 16 years ago and is absolutely fine for 80 km/h so that would be another step back if that became a 60.

As others have said, the issue is lack of enforcement. We need LOTS of it, some visible and plenty of it hidden so that the public realise that you're generally not caught in some select places and you may not even know that you're being caught. Hopefully that would lead to a culture change, similar to how it was considered to be OK to have a several pints in the pub and drive home after as it was culturally accepted even though it was inarguably dangerous and wrong. Same goes with the endemic speeding issues and generally very poor standards of driving. It needs an extreme and continuous crackdown, not just a "campaign" here and there.

Don't come to a halt at a stop line in the US and the police will pull you over and you will be fined there and then. Fail to indicate, even if you think there's nobody around but a police officer sees you unbeknownst to you; you will be pulled over and fined. We need more of this, and plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I don’t think American policing is what we need… they are far from the ideal model and there is way to much abuse of power with regards to their traffic stops.

yes Rules of the road need to be enforced but please not the American model where people are scared shitless of being stopped and abused by some power hungry civil servant.

The R671 just after Ballymacarbry heading towards Dungarvan/Lismore has a limit of 80. It's likely a candidate for 60 but nobody does more than 30 so not much point

Remember that somebody willing to do 90 on an 80 road will probably do 90 on a 60 road. And the if the speed van is on that road he'll be on the straight stretch after the dangerous bend, watching drivers trying to build speed not at the corner where somebody could drive off a mountain

• Advertisement

If government really wanted to take it serious then all they need is to make it mandatory for a GPS unit that monitors speed added to every car. It won’t happen due to privacy etc but that would be an absolute way of cracking down on speeding and is a way better option than limiting speed cars can do etc

Problem with that tech is when it goes wrong. Most modern cars have features that tell you what the speed limit on the road you're driving is. Some cars use cameras to take a picture of the signs as they pass them but will miss the sign if the sunlight is low or a tree branch is in the way. Some will rely on manufacturer software updates so won't be the most reliable either

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Remember that somebody willing to do 90 on an 80 road will probably do 90 on a 60 road."

No, studies into this subject show the opposite. When speed limits are reduced, while people continue to speed, on average they do so proportionally to the speed limit. Most people who are comfortable doing 12% over the speed limit (90 in an 80 zone), aren't suddenly comfortable doing 50% over the speed limit (90 in a 60 zone).

You can of course support this with proportional fines. Small fine and points for doing just 12% over the speed limit, big fine and big points for doing 50% over.

Apologies, I didn't mean that we adopt the same model as in the US, I meant that the Guards need to really up their game (subject to required funding from the government) with regards to being far far less lenient as is the case now. Even simple things like cars parked at the side of the road when there's a solid white line in the centre, cars parked on footpaths, cars parked illegally near corners. Little things like that, that should be enforced but are just ignored. Essentially, actually enforce the rules of the road and not just the odd rule some of the time.

Apologies again for making it look like I may have been suggesting an adoption of the ( well known to be) flawed US model.

Exactly why I said every car gets fitted with a special GPS unit that tracks speed…it gets checked for calibration during NCT.

At the end of the day that would only address speeding but shows there are ways of addressing the problem. you still need Gardai on the roads policing all the other rules.

Not once have I heard of someone fined for not leaving enough space with the car in front. Speeding isn’t the only problem….we have 100’s of provisional drivers on the road unaccompanied or drivers without licenses.

But as Gardaí are a limited resource would the majority of people want them policing the roads or instead making the country safer by addressing crime on our streets and being physically present to prevent the **** show we have in our cities with open drug dealing and anti social behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Another absolute joke decision from the prize that keeps on giving !!! FFFG & Greens a sham government if ever there was, they are the worst government in the history of the state and that's a very low bar.

Could we not actually try and enforce the current laws of the land as opposed to making up more ? That applies to motoring, criminal and civil matters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Telematics devices in cars are becoming mandatory from next year and will monitor stuff like this. The data most likely won't be used as part of law enforcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

I live just off the road in Clonmel where that accident happened a few weeks ago. Boy racers traveling twice the speed limit and doing burnouts have been a problem in the area for years, and the Gardai are well aware of it.

They're the sort of people who remove the mufflers from their exhaust, and love to broadcast to everyone within a 1 mile radius at 3AM how fast their hatchback can go, so you don't exactly need to be a master detective to find them if you actually care about cracking down on speeding.

Also should be pointed out: Annual fatalities on the road in this country have hovered around 150 since 2015. Between 2005 and 1995, they hovered around 400 annually. That's a 250% decrease since 2005. This narrative that road deaths are skyrocketing out of control is nonsense. Just properly enforce the speed limits as they are.

Being forced to travel 30km/h on a windy, hilly road where people will regularly do 100km/h does not make me feel any safer.

would love to know if this is kite flying or a solo run by a politician that thinks it makes the government look good…

Jack Chambers is a joke of a politician at the best of times and comes across as someone who think they are smart but doesn’t have a clue…. A father Ted Crilly character without the humour……Just waiting for him to say ‘The money was only resting in my account’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Overreading is something that was true in the days of mechanical speedometers but doesn't apply to modern cars. I suspect you're comparing with GPS and assuming that it is more accurate than your car because satellites, google, etc.

If you have any form of ESP/skid control on your car (most do) then your car speedo is more likely to be accurate than what you get from a GPS reciever. The rotation sensors used for anti-skid are very accurate, and unless you've fitted non-standard wheels or tyres on your car (bigger or smaller outer diameter affects the calculations), the speed reading will be within 1% of true surface speed.

I was once clocked at 100.0 km/h on the open road having not seen a 60km/h limit (the Garda kindly showed me the readout on the speed gun), so my cruise control was still set at 100. It's an expensive way to calibrate the system, but at least it answered a question I had often wondered about...

GPS, on the other hand, is not good at very accurate speed, for a couple of reasons. First, most consumer receivers only report about once per second, with a typical position accuracy of 2.5 metres (limits are between 1 and 5 m), so your reported position will normally be only within 2.5 metres of your true position, with a fairly random distribution of error. An error of 2.5 metres might not sound like much, but consider that moving 1 metre in 1 second is a speed of 3.6 km/h, and your position can be wrong by more than this per report. The receiver averages readings to try minimise this error, but it's still there in the output (because you're in motion at an unknown speed, it's impossible for the software to compensate for positional errors in the way it can when you're stationary), depending on how the averaging is done, it can underreport your speed. The second reason is more subtle: GPS measures speed as overhead dispacement, not surface distance travelled, so it is only at its most accurate on absolutely flat terrain that's also at local sea level, or what GPS considers to be sea level (you do not want the boring detail of what altitude means in GPS, or how the whole concept of global position is really just a useful fiction anyway...).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Won't happen.

The Government have introduced this to be seen to be doing something, anything, but it won't become law in this Dáil and so unlikely to become law at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It would be better if they completed the n52 from Tyrellspass to the M7 somewhere close to Portlaoise. There's 3 roads servicing the northern Counties M1, N2, M3, but all traffic must use the M 50 to access each one.

This would iliminate the need to travel all the way up to the M50 to go North.

Otherwise your stuch useing dangerous back roads and even Bog Roads to avoid the M50.

As to the stupid proposal on speed limits the figures don't support the proposal. It's an over reaction from an under pressure government who won't get my vote come the election if they proceed with this.

Post edited by sky6 on

I don't think you understand, I don't think the tech is there, or ever will be there, to do what you describe

But I will admit it's a good idea

Why not you can track speed from the car if the concern is that using GPS location for an accurate on the ground speed.

All you need then is GPS positioning to determine the location. where speed limit changes you allow for a margin of error incase GPS is out by a meter or two.

No reason why it can’t be applied on the rural Road network where 70% of the deaths are occurring.

what additional tech do you need that doesn’t already exist?

Yeah and then a plane flies over your car and cuts you off from the satellite... It's like Tesla's full self driving, the tech needed isn't there and likely never will be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you know GPS - by the way it works - requires line of sight to at least three satellites? and at any one time there will be at least 8 GPS satellites above the horizon? and the length of time a plane would take to transit 'the' satellite at crusing speed is probably a quarter of a second.

why are you mentioning planes? they're the least concern when discussing GPS reliability.

ok so if it doesn’t work for <1% of the time the 99% of time is still much better than we have currently. It’s doesn’t need tech that is required for a self driving car.

So yet again what tech is missing or are you only taking about <1% of cases like above that can easily be accounted for by using an average over a km or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Continued attempts to legislate and hope rather than enforce will do absolutely nothing. 1.2m more for GoSafe - a fraction of the re-signing costs - will do nothing.

There are extensive national secondary sections that are new builds to higher standards than some national primary sections; but the effort of doing a proper speed limit review seems to be beyond what most councils can do - I'm still awaiting the revised version of my local one that proposed making a lethal rat run R road 80 when it had already been reduced to 60; but leaving some R road dual carriageway at 60.

The correct approach is to set appropriate limits for the road and not its category. Most other countries are able to do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement