Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What is this crap with people trying to use Sean Russell as some sort of gotcha? Russell's "collaboration" with Germany begins and ends with his desire for money and guns to fight the British and that's it. Russell, himself, said he wasn't pro nazi or even pro German. He was anti British and if he could use Germany's animosity toward Britain for his own ends, he was going to. FFS the man wasn't even around for most of the war. He died in 1940. In terms of sticks to use to beat the IRA with, Russell isn't even a twig.

In addition, just because there were some Indians in the British Army while their nation was being occupied doesn't mean a damn thing. The vast majority of Indian people wanted the British out of their country. The British, in general, treated the Indians as second class citizens in their own country.

Trying to pretend that the Raj was some sort of equitable deal for everyone concerned is a truly mind boggling attempt at gibberish.

And on a thread about a line in a silly song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sean Russell died aboard a Nazi U-boat and was an active collaborator with the Nazi regime. He undertook military training in Germany in explosives and carried out missions under German supervision via the Abhwer (Nazi military intelligence.)

His plan was to overthrow the state and install an Irish-Republican/Nazi regime instead. So not only was he a Nazi collaborator, he was a traitor.

So saying he was just a bystander is just factually and historically illiterate.

Fun Fact:

Mary Lou's Macdonald's very first speech as an SF member was at the commemoration of Sean Russell at his statue. Talk about putting your foot in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol. I can hear the furious tapping to search wikipedia from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

There can be no doubt about Dan Breen's support for the Nazis.

I know exactly where and when Sean Russell died and what happened to his body.

I also know that wasn't any plan at all to install a Nazi regime in Ireland. that is a load of old bollocks.

In fact Sean Russell, himself, said "I am not a Nazi. I’m not even pro-German. I am an Irishman fighting for the independence of Ireland...If it suits Germany to give us help to achieve independence, I am willing to accept it, but no more, and there must be no strings attached."

Into the bargain, absolutely NOBODY has said that Russell was a "bystander". But trying to make out Sean Russell to be some sort of ardent Nazi is ridiculous.

Russell's sole aim was getting the British out of Ireland. If he was going to get money and guns from Germany, he'd take it. He also went looking for funds from Russia and America too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭trashcan

I agree about the Wolfe Tones music. What I find kind of amusing is the fact that I was genuinely unaware of this song before all the controversy sprang up with the Women’s football team, (and I suspect I’m not alone there) but all of a sudden it’s popping up with increasing regularity. There has to be quite a huge element of “F you” to that, surely. All the outrage is backfiring I would have thought,

In fact Sean Russell, himself, said "I am not a Nazi. I’m not even pro-German. I am an Irishman fighting for the independence of Ireland...If it suits Germany to give us help to achieve independence, I am willing to accept it, but no more, and there must be no strings attached."

The term useful idiot is applied there. If he thought the Nazis would have left us alone in the event of a British defeat he must have been the stupidest man in history.

Into the bargain, absolutely NOBODY has said that Russell was a "bystander". But trying to make out Sean Russell to be some sort of ardent Nazi is ridiculous.

No one said that.

What is true is that he actively collaborated with the Nazi regime and sought to undermine the free-state by collaborating with one of the most abhorrent and murderous regimes in history.

He was also a traitor to his own country.

That Russell's political attitude toward Germany at the time could be considered naive is a given, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" often is. But there was no plans to install a nazi regime in Ireland from any side. Not even the Germans had any real interest in that. They were more worried about Ireland going to bat for Britain and allowing the use of ports on the western approaches. Germany preferred Ireland neutral.

Plus, it wasn't even remotely entertained in Ireland even if there were some benefits to IRA in getting deliveries of weapons, intel and money from Germany. But not even the IRA (which only numbered a few thousand men at this stage) as an organisation had any real interest in doing deals with Germany. It was well understood that if Germany made any move towards Ireland in any serious way, the British wouldn't hesitate in re-occupying the entire country and thus make the IRA's aims of getting the British out of Ireland even harder.

It reminds me a bit of the Sunday Independent journalists constantly digging at SF since 2000 or so. Dudley Edwards, Harris, Eilis O'Hanlon etc. It became so predictable and boring that their warnings had the opposite effect.

Those of us who grew up with the Troubles knew there was plenty of grey area on both sides. It wasn't the best way to achieve a United Ireland.

But from the Civil Rights marches of 1968, totally correct, everything took on a life of its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

Sure didn't Neville Chamberlain collaborate with the Nazi regime when he signed off on The Munich Pact.

So, going by your logic of tarnishing everyone based on the actions of one person - All conservatives are Nazi sympathisers too

The worst way to achieve a united Ireland is to normalise the Provos and put Sinn Fein in power.

If you want to lose any future border poll and keep the status quo, that would be the best way to get the desired result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its so relentless that it tends to enter into parody territory.

Like recently when the Irish Independent kept referring to Former SF Councillor Johnathan Dowdall in every headline and article about the Monk trial.

As I said to a friend of mine, "What kind of parents name their child Former SF Councillor?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At best we would have been a "human zoo" for German tourists to come and look at us speaking Irish, thatching cottages and rowing currachs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your own post exposes your claim to be only interested in fact as pure hypocrisy.

You refer to other posters as "usual Unionist supporting members of Boards.ie", something you know to be untrue. I am not aware of a single unionist supporting poster to have posted on this thread.

The usual republican diatribe and hate hiding behind a facade of a claim of historical accuracy.

SF and its support is a Trump style cult so nothing can embarrass them.

Sure look here at the way Provo supporters just ignore the reality that the Provos protected paedophiles and rapists when it's brought up.

If that had happened in FF or FG they'd never shut up about it but seeing as it happened in the Provos they're just fine with it.

The headline on the article sums it up well - People divided as Wolfe Tone revellers chant "Up the Ra".

It is a divisive chant and should be anathema to anyone with any interest in peace, reconciliation and equality.

Was that the one with twenty or thirty people in a pub?

How does that compare to the thousands at Electric Picnic? Should they be losing their jobs as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Dear god. That is some tone deaf post from karen

• Advertisement

Provobots still ignoring the fact the Provos hid paedophiles and rapists....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You're probably one of those who say how welcome the British were in places like Australia, sure look at their flag. Those who were tortured and murdered never had a say in the flag. Aboriginals who were literally treated like dirt didn't have a say.

Were the millions who died in India treated fairly? The women raped with glass bottles in Kenya? As I said, you using the people who signed up for the British army because of extreme poverty as an excuse for the mass murder committed by Britain is disgusting and shows what kind of individual you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Nonsense. The PIRA fought back against the scum in the loyalist mobs, the ruc and the British armed forces. They primarily targeted active combatants, the same can't be said for the British side who teamed up together to kill about 1,000 innocent people.

The old, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is well known.

We all know why Sean Russell did what he did, but that still makes him a collaborator with the Nazis and a traitor to his own country. That cannot be scrubbed from history, no matter how hard many try.

He hated the Brits more than he loved his own. Speaks volumes of his ilk and those that support him.

He also collaborated with the Russians and the Americans. He was willing to go anywhere if he could get money and arms to kick the British out of Ireland.

They were more worried about Ireland going to bat for Britain and allowing the use of ports on the western approaches. Germany preferred Ireland neutral.

On this.

You must share in Sean Russeal's utter nativity.

In the event of a British defeat, the Nazis would not have left us alone. They would have invaded and taken over like they did with many neutral countries.

Why? Well, they would not have wanted Ireland to become a launchpad for an American/Free British/Free French force invasion force.

If you don't believe me, go ask Norway, a neutral country, but the Nazis invaded to protect their northern flank.

If that happened, and if then the Nazis lost the war, the likes of Sean Russell and his band of useful idiots would have been hanged by the hundreds as they did to Nazi collaborators in Vichy France when France was liberated.

Neville Chamberlain wasn't trained by the Nazi military in how to blow up buildings by the Abwher and then returned in order to help the Germans overthrow his own government.

If you are actually comparing the two, it shows how little you actually know.

And besides, Neville Chamberlain will forever be known in history as an appeaser and the man who gave away Czechoslovakia.

Yeah he overthrew his own government on his own by being a complete and utter fool.

Facts are not your strong suit is it now?

The fact is, the PIRA killed more Catholics and Innocent Civilians than the British Security forces did.

They killed more teenagers and women than anyone else too.

And **** the loyalists too, but no one is defending them here.

The idea that the PIRA were brave plucky honorable warriors is the biggest myth going.

They were by and large scumbags and psychopaths.

• Advertisement

If the Nazis won the war they would have set up shop here with their foreign corporate fascist technocratic ideology, no doubt.

But what happened? The United States won the war, not the British, and what happened here? The United States set up shop here with their own branch of corporate cock$ucking foreign fascist technocratic ideology.

Advertisement