Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The dept of ag there's a few anti livestock. Teagasc tillage dept did a job to hide figures working with the epa down through the years.

We're basically in some plant based fourth day evangelist dystopian reality in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

Writing was on the wall a long time ago for this reduction it was no real surprise to see it come to pass. It will bring with it a whole host of problems, not many will want to keep any extra calves now bar the essential replacements, lads/ladies in the 50-100 cow bracket will be hit hardest by this.

There will be no push back against this either as you have to row in with europe to be fair, so much for all the roaring and shouting down in west cork a week or two ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

In the 50/100 cow bracket I reckon you’ll see a lot of lads not submitting bps and selling off entitlements and farming off the grid ….something I’m strongly considering

That will just surely never be an option realistically no co op would accept your milk?

I can see where you’re coming from though if the farm is capable of carrying 100 cows through years of good management then why should it be confined to 70 cows say. Red tape is the killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The nitrate rules are part of the long delayed Water Directive to which all industries have to compli with, so compliance will still be in issue, BPS or not via local CC's etc.. Alot of this sh*t show could have been avoided if DAFM had properly implemented existing regs, but as highlighted in last weeks IFJ, they failed and failed badly which is why things went back to Brussels.

• Advertisement

Absolutely nothing to stop it atm …..as long as bord bia complient coop will collect your milk …..if you’ve slurry storage ,rivers fenced yard compliant etc what can they do ……advisors etc wouldn’t like it for obvious reasons but more and more people are doing this and considering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Co-ops will take the milk no issue and bord bia don't at the minute have any issue re nitrates/stocking rates, I have first-hand experience of the above, no bps has been submitted here the past 9 years and haven't touchwood had so much as a angry letter from the department about it

You would have to be in receipt of very small payments to justify that though it would probably however suit some farms under those circumstances. I don’t think I’d take the option of milking 20/30 more cows to forego payments.

I wouldn’t be saying that to milk more cows it would be to mantain current numbers and viability ….for lots it will be a real option

I get where you’re coming from but if you have payments worth 20k for instance you’d definitely be better off milking 80 cows and keeping them as opposed to 100 cows and no payments surely for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

It's unfair on the lads with plenty land too but the landowners keeping the maps. It's all about the maps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ginger22

One thing for shure the end of derogation will seriously cripple the rural economy and with it the countries economy. I was talking to a rep today who sells to co ops around the country. He said that nothing was moving. With the bad prices farmers are not spending.

In that boat here 30 acres rented for years, landowner leases maps to another party. Losing 20 acres of leased ground away from home farm next year also which will all lead to just focusing on cows and the bare replacements. Annoying having the land to cater for a beef operation alongside but regs would allow this going forward and land won’t be farmed to its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

our politicians must be the most spineless human beings we have ever had representing us... have any of them anything called a backbone...? Padraig pearse, thmoas clarke, mcdonagh etc must be wondering what they died for

They do not care one bit Charlie attended the meeting with the commissioner online like what an absolute joke, colm Markey has criticized him on Twitter over this yet he as an mep has failed to contribute anything to this whole fiasco either.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Im with lakeland and they never ask. I dont claim bps or file nitrates. No issue so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

The milk of 4 cows would cover the payment here....it's no contest.

It's plainly obvious now that the dept and gov never wanted to maintain the 250. There has been no contact between dept and commission since March. The latest submission put together by the water quality committee has yet been sent to Brussels. A video call by our Minister rather than face to face is prrof that gov never wanted the positive result. The bad actors are on our side, in our own jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Yep, been obvious for a long time. I'm all for lads letting them stick their few bob where the sun doesn't shine but I'm not sure it's a great long term plan. Best of luck to anyone going down that road though.

I suggested it at a teagasc meeting before and the teagasc man took it very badly. Got very upset about it altogether. You are deluded if you think you can keep the dept of ag out of your yard he said. DELUDED. That was the end of that conversation.

The IFA and the ICMSA have the chance now with the Ploughing match to make a scene and tell McConalogue to do one back to Donegal. The cameras will be there and an election is coming and he's played lots for fools.

He's proven he was never genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭White Clover

Dairy, Beef, Sheep and tillage sectors all have genuine reasons to make it very uncomfortable for McConalogue and all Government TD’s at the ploughing. As you say, the opportunity should not be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

the state of the country outside of the m50 is of very little concern to the green agenda.once the d4 luvvies can turn that into one massive national park then to hell with the rest.sure isn’t the corporate taxes going to stay flowing here forever.

as for our so called minister for agriculture.I said it a couple of yrs ago he was a green td hiding in plain sight.the most useless and incompetent minister since creed and he was shite.and still farmers will vote for ff and fg next time again.I’m no shinner fan and they’re no better but Jesus the old guard needs wiping out completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

the ministers solution is for farmers to export slurry to tillage and build more storage.

That's been put forward by a tillage group this past year.

There was a researcher from galway University had a survey for tillage farmers to fill about taking slurry from dairy farmers.

It was anonymous so any blaggard could fill it out. I filled it out but tried to be as sarcastic as I could. Any enviro could fill it out too and claim to be in tillage.

The trouble is the nitrates from the slurry will leach more on the tillage ground than if applied on grassland. But the agronomists have the minister codded about ontakes and offtakes and that no leaching occurs with tillage.

Knowing that the changes in N concentration of slurry has halved lending it uneconomic to export, and TAMS not being available in anything, you can only say that this Minister is a lying phuq..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

As we approach this time of year you can figure out where things as regards production and costs.doing a few sums while I was milking this morning and I reckon at 32 cent is break even for us .there is a hefty repayment for land in that and land rent but very little wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If your not allowing at least 5 cent plus a litre for wages your only fooling yourself, between the father and relief Milker its roughly 4 cent a litre on the years supply and would be taking circa 3 cent a litre in "wages" myself to keep the house running

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’d have regular contact with some low-level Commission people at the off-farm job. They’re straight and I’d believe them every day of the week before the Govt here.

Farmers’ problems begin in Dublin and Brussels is used as an excuse. I remember one issue of the IFJ earlier this year had 3 different articles with Dept officials blaming Brussels for whatever was going wrong. Childish stuff.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

why would anyone consider building extra storage in current environment

we used to export dung for straw for years. Our farm stood still for that period and didn’t improve because lack of nutrients

Advertisement