Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It used to be monthly on the 8c all night deal I had. But now it's per 2 month period.

They told me that it would mean I'd have to stay on a 24hr. Probably BS though, call and ask someone else and I'd get a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I double checked. You're right, it's every 2 months

It's "per billing period", according to their T&Cs. Which on level pay is monthly. If the 1000kWh is exceeded, the rate for those 4 hours goes from 10.19 to 11.72 - both current rates, to reduce from October.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

For anyone lucky enough to get in on the Flogas Community offer, be careful to check your bill. They had billed me for completely different (dearer) day/night rates. Luckily enough I had taken screenshots of the deal at the time.

To be fair they were very nice about it when I rang them today & they’ve assured me that they’ll put me on the correct tariff & re-issue the bill.

Post edited by Fishy1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks for the heads up

I still have to get my first bill when did you sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Energia fair use limits are usually per 2 month billing period. But those rates are pretty ok. But remember the welcome bonus and the 5c rate of pinergy go a long way paying for units you won't be able to get in the 3 hour time slot. Need to do sums to find out which is better. Will be different for everyone.

@DrPhilG - "For the worst months of winter I won't get enough into the battery"

What's the problem, battery not big enough or inverter not powerful enough? For the latter there is a €100 solution - 3kW power supply on a 16A smart plug

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cheers for that, I found the direct debit letter and signed up online. First message is that it will take them 10 days to set up the online account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

@DrPhilG what size is your inverter/pv array again?

7.44kWp, 20kWh battery (16kWh usable), 6kW Solis hybrid inverter with approximately 90a charge rate.

Is 16kWh enough? If so then your Solis will fill it up from near empty to almost full in 3 hours

For me 16kWh wouldn't be enough. But in your case the supercheap 5c rate plus the €100 bonus would pay a lot towards upgrading your battery

16kWh would just about squeak me through til the next day provided I didn't need to use the oven etc in between.

3 hours would likely only get me about 13kWh at a push and then 21 hours to last through.

The Energia option would have given me a full battery and only 20 hours to go.

I won't be upgrading my batteries anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The installer who put in my meter told me it was VF, he asked me what the VF reception was like, anymore than that I can't tell you.

Got my second bill yesterday and all's good, 29.99c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My contract with Bord Gais is up 23rd Sept. Is the best offer the new one from Energia starting 3rd October? Should I wait until then to switch? We have a smart electric meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

What is B/G offering for renewing? Check your account page and see if they have offered a new rate.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

12.42 for gas and 40.96 for electricity, being offered on new plan with Bord gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Read back some pages, people were getting good offers but I'm not sure about the smart plans if the meter is activated.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Ensure that you get your €30 credit for their mistake - check their customer charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I don't think it would be wise to be drawing attention to yourself in this way if you likely weren't even eligible in the first place to be on the Community Plan! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

@DrPhilG but surely, on the majority of days, you'll absolutely cover your base load until around 16:00, and therefore, your 16kWh only needs to last from 16:00 thru 02:00 ?

Regarding signal and switchover etc, after my meter changeover on Thurs 31st, I could see my exports per half hour on the ESB Networks portal for Thursday, on Saturday morning. So data is always 1 - 2 days in arrears.

As of now, I still have no Consumption data.

And what about the switching - I called Pinergy today and was told that they were flagged of the switch on Monday. They say that the switch could be up to 7 days from then. So I won't night charge the car or batteries until I get confirmation.

So what about FIT Vs Deemed Export - well I was on 3kW, but have added a north array since. So today I've hit exporting of 59kWh which is close to the value of my Deemed Export, so I'll be in profit for the rest of the month.

Hope this fills in a few blanks for some fence sitters

This has been done to death at this stage... Of course he's entitled to the 30 euro, they accepted him on the plan and then charged him the wrong rate, it's in their charter. The more 30's they have to hand out will make them up their game and stop making mistakes. It's no different than claiming your free NCT if you have to wait more than 28 days for a test, that's what charter's are for. If they'd undercharged him they wouldn't be long in collecting it on the next bill.

An average day in December generates 3kWh max. Add that to the 13kWh put in overnight and that's 16kWh total to last 21hrs.

In my house in winter that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Well you have two months or so to find a 2 - 3kW charger to wire in parallel with the inverter, running of a timer switch

@DrPhilG - "3 hours would likely only get me about 13kWh at a push"

That's right, a bit less than that if you take into account losses even if your inverter can do 90A continuous.

A €90 or so rectifier (see my withdrawn ads on adverts.ie) on a €10 or so 16A smart plug, can boost that to no problem fill your battery from totally empty to totally full in that 3 hour slot.

But don't take my word or that of @championc for it. Throw your figures into Excel. Taking into account the 5c rate and the €100 credit. Even if some of your usage will be on the super high day rate with Pinergy 3h slot, where you would have much less of that or none at all on Energia 4h slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

Couldn't agree more. These crowds have no issue charging €50 if your one day short of 12 months if you switch, so pay them the same respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Quick update. After initially quoting rates of 31.81 day and 15.06 night, Energia came back and told me that was incorrect. They always give contradicting information. If I remain with them, rates will be 42.46 and 20.37 until October 3rd whereby they'll drop to 36.10 and 17.31 respectively. Microgeneration will be 24c. They have no Google nests in stock so I was offered a Google Audio instead, €50 credit and 20% off my final bill. Flogas rates were confirmed as 33.38 and 14.74 and 26c microgeneration. Two days left of my cooling off period so I need to decide. Any thoughts please?

Post edited by RTT on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Energia told me no Google nests in stock and they weren’t offering them anyway. No €50 credit either. Different story every time you call them.

I’m out of contract today so will call them again later.

Advertisement