Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So one of my dogs is not well. I brought her to the Vet last week. He said it was a false Pregnancy

Options
  • 02-09-2023 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

She is 8 and never sprayed. I am not so sure. It is a false pregnancy do. She has a lot of white puss coming out of her Vagina/Vulva and is lethargic as well as depressed. He gave me tablets to give her but she is not even eating. She has not eaten in three days so I had to force it down her and did not enjoy having to do that one bit.

She is drinking a lot do.

I am hoping they help but not sure if they will.

I think she might have pyometra.

Think I might have to bring her back to the Vet on Monday.

What do people in here think?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

We've had a couple over the years with pyo, my advice would be straight into a vet as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No question...straight to a vet. Hopefully your vet is good. I'm thankful the two we go to are excellent

Hope all goes well with your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thank you. I will do.

I will do.

It's hit and miss. One is good ones not that good and he was there the last day. A very unlikeable character.

Thank you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Change vet so.

Why did you force food on her? A dog can easily go for 4-5 days without any food. As long as it drinks water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If it is a pyo, I wouldn’t even wait until Monday to bring her in. Your vets should have an out of hours number, or if you’re not happy with them, ring another vets out of hours and get seen sooner rather than later!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ms

It was not food it was a tablet the vet gave me for her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thanks for clarifying. You're still not specific what the tablet was for, in your OP you suggest it was food you forced down on her. For anything essential, a vet would use an injection, not force feed a pill and certainly not leave it to the dog owner to do it.

Not sure where you live, but if in the Dublin area, I find hermitage vets (now called myvet.ie - Lucan branch) very good.

For out of hours emergencies, the UCD vet clinic is open 24/7/365, but they will charge you a huge fee for this

Ms

"Thanks for clarifying. You're still not specific what the tablet was for, in your OP you suggest it was food you forced down on her. For anything essential, a vet would use an injection, not force feed a pill and certainly not leave it to the dog owner to do"

Not really sure myself what's it's for. He did give her an injection. I think they are anti-biotics.

I do not live in Dublin no. I live in Offaly so unfortunahly no emergency Vets or at least nothing I can get too :(

There is one in Kildare. Will see about getting her there tomorrow/today Sunday.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

There's an emergency vets in Summerhill in Meath (Veterinary Ireland). Not sure what part of Offaly you're in but this might not be too far from you.

Antibiotics are not a cure for pseudopregnancy, so I suspect your vet knows there's an infection going on. Can you see what name is on the tablets he gave you?

• Advertisement
    Ms

Thank you.

Yes I brought her there today. Lovely place. They checked her over and said she needed an operation as it was as I suspected Pyometra.

So will hopefully have her back home in a couple of days with her getting back to herself.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Great you caught it in time, hope she makes a speedy recovery after the surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Boards has changed a lot over the years but forum has always been a stable of great advice and help

Glad doggo got to the vets and going to be ok!

Good for you AMKC, pyo can become a huge problem very quickly, so it's great that she's in the right hands now. Summerhill is expensive, but I find them really good, very thorough, and very nice to deal with too.

One of the vet nurses snoozed in my (large) pup's kennel with him on an overnight he had with them, to keep him company 😁 (it's probably closer to the truth that he was lying on her and she couldn't get up 😂🫣)

Keep us posted on how your lassie gets on 🤞

Ms

Thank you.

Yes hopefully.

Thank you. Me too.

Yes it is and that is good to know.

The two staff that I talked to there seemed lovely.

Awe very good.

I will do.

Hope to have some idea of how she is tomorrow even if I have to ring them to find out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Well that was nice. I got a call from them this morning saying the operation went well and she is in the recovery process now. She is quiet but doing good. She will be there for a couple of days yet do as she recovers before going home.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well done AMKC for knowing your dog so well and hopefully she has a speedy recovery.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Well I got another update this morning. She had a temperature last night so they are keeping her for another day today and night to make sure she is OK before letting her home.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Better that than they send her home prematurely. Sign of a good vet, imo. When I collected my girl it was from the vet Ashton (and this was back when they were good) pound used. She was post-surgery and the rescue I was fostering for asked me bring her straight to their vet for a check-up. When she got there they said she had a raging infection and really high temperature and were aghast that any vet would discharge her in the condition she was in. She ended up staying in there for nearly a week.

It's mad the differing standards among practises.

• Advertisement
    Ms

It's not looking good for her. I got a call from the Vet place. I knew as soon as I seen it that it was not good. She had a heart attack. She might not make it through the night. Hopefully she does. I am crying my eyes out here 😢

Update. So Pippa died at 10:49 pm on Tuesday the 5th of September 2023.

She will be missed by all here.

May She Rest In Peace.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ah I'm so sorry to hear that, AMKC. If it's any consolation, you know you did the right thing for her by getting a second opinion and she died in medical care, surrounded by people looking after her; not at home in pain on the wrong medication that was never going to help her.

Mind yourself. You did everything you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I am so so sorry.

I can't find any words of consolation for you, except that you did the right thing and that whilst she has passed away it would have been an easy passing for her in medical care, rather than a painful and terrifying end of an untreated pyo.

I really am so sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself.

I'm just so sorry to read your bad news AMKC... what an awful shock for you.

As the others have said, you should take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for her. I'm sure you'll miss her very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

I'm very sorry to read your sad news, I do feel for you, I've been there more than once & it hurts like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

So sorry to read this. I saw your first update last night when I was up with sick Bailey and was hoping both of us would have a good outcome. 😪

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement