Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's called "blowing smoke up each other's asses" or a "circle jerk". Sorry if those terms offend you, I know you are a sensitive soul. They are all presenters, the lowest of the low. They fill dead air. They talk to who they are told to talk to, be it Tubs, a Big Brother contestant, or a boyband member. They are all treated with reverence because it's such a vacuous world they all live in that they have to perpetuate each others importance or else the Ponzi scheme collapses. In their world, anyone, good or bad, who hangs around long enough is a legend despite not doing very much. Jimmy Saville was technically a legendary, incredibly successful presenter on the BBC. Maybe Tubs should take a selfie at his grave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dancing with the Stars pro confirms her departure from RTE series.

Emily Barker has stepped back from the RTE show after six series.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I wish him all the best if he finds a sustainable gig in the UK. He had a very comfy gig in Ireland but I'm not sure he's internalised yet how much he undermined himself here.

He might clasp on some opportunity in the UK and thrive with a clean slate where no one knows him.

But in all honesty I can't see him pull anything off, as the whole spiel of an easy transfer to the UK is of an era when people listened and spoke. RT doesn't listen, he'd be just another voice in the static.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

This is one of the requirements so I’d say, eh no😛

• A person with initiative and “who can think on their feet” who can demonstrate that they can handle breaking news, unexpected topics, and the other things that could go wrong. 

Jayzuz don’t call them Shirley- they hate that 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

Is Tubbs going to declare the Electric Vespa he is getting tomorrow to The Revenue Commissioners?

I am sure it well exceeds the 3k Small Gift Exemption.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

What do you think of Dee Forbes and the scandal that has hit RTÉ. Happy to be proud of Irish Content and presenters. But be interesting to hear you take.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

You are genuinely the kindest person on this thread. A kind soul as me ma would say. Tubs is lucky to have you as a friend and a fan. Don’t ever change. God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The funds for Children's TV were cut by Forbes so that Tubridy and the "talent" could be paid. That quote about Tubridy being "the most trusted man in Ireland" is a laugh.

No sign of that 150K being repaid. Did anyone think that he would have the decency to pay it back? It could even be used to fund some real programming for children.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"He joked about himself as being the third Doctor Who of the talk show, and told of being gifted a red electric vespa from Bono on his last appearance."

"Tubridy said he is “saving up” to go and see McCartney perform in either Australia, Brazil or Mexico soon."

"Saving up" FFS, he can't help himself lying to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Come on, you can't really think Ryan or those other presenters are the lowest of the low. They're not paedophies or murderers for goodness sake.

The funding for children's TV programming was cut while Tubridy and the other mediocrities were paid. Would Tubridy even have the decency to return that 150K with the stipulation that it be used for funding some programming for children?

Would you hold him in higher esteem if he did something like that for the children of Ireland?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

“Saving up”? FFS. He’s as mean as they come.

On his radio show he suggested that the staff should have “a whip around” for him to go and see McCartney play in Orlando around the time of his 50th birthday. They likely -combined - earn him less than him annually and he openly asked for this. And they pay tax at PAYE rates too. He makes Bertie and Pee Flynn look honest and decent by comparison.

On here we go. 🙄

The point is NK and certain Irish media types are acting like London is at a standstill with people trying to catch a glimpse of Tubs when the reality is 99% of Evans’ audience this morning would be like “who is this guy?”. And I doubt Evans led with “so Ryan you were sacked recently and there’s a lot of questions over dodgy payments, barter accounts and other questionable practices, but I just want a yes or no - are you going to give back that €150,000 that you said you would?”

The difference between the thousands of celebs who go in and out without coverage as you say is they go in and out without seeking it. Tubs has gone full frontal looking for attention there and the best he can get is some selfies and a short radio interview with Chris Evans where Tubs once again showed how contrite and sorry he was…..oh wait, no….he boasted about free 💩.

You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sadly, if you've resources at your disposal getting listens is significantly easier that hiring an army of interns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Well of course generosity is admirable, I don't think anyone would say otherwise. But I don't judge anyone on how they spend their own money, I'm only privy to the details of my own finances obviously.

What generosity?

Do you think that Tubridy has the decency to give back the 150K with the stipulation that it be used to fund children's programming?

And if he did not do something like that, how could you continue to defend such an individual?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I know, I was perhaps a little to subtly implying Mr. Kelly wouldn’t be aware of such mechanisms and would instead be using a more “hands on” approach so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Cause aggravation?

I simply think you are trying to make a fool out of yourself. For what reason, I don't know but you are doing a good job.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I HAVE IT!!!

To launch his Podcast series :

Phillip Schofield - an exclusive interview- from one dropped presenter to another 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Sadly that's not how it works on the iTunes podcast charts.

One of the reasons why Tubs is gone from RTE is the downturn in licence fees. We should do another boycott and stop buying or reading any publications that publish a NKM press release. This will let the MSM know that any NKM puff pieces are not relevant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE want 34.5 million bailout - how many surgeries, schools, teachers, doctors, gards... could that pay for instead of paying a failed media company who pay themselves hefty pay rises and the rest

Be a travesty if they get the money under any circumstances

The politicians have a chance to do something that get them votes. That's a very dangerous situation for RTE. There will be a lot of conditions attached to the bailout and an evaluation of the talent and their cost will probably be one popular aspect.

The lack of real job offers for Tubridy has made that part a lot easier and the contract negotiations will probably be a lot tougher and for less money. The public service and commerical problem is going to be very tricky. It might not be surprising to see a few proposals that RTE be broken up with the commercial part being spun out as a separate company.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It seems to me that there are a number of posters, some new some not so new, who can't abide Mr. Tubs taking a ribbing, nor can they accept that the vast majority of Anti-Tubities are happy to actually engage with what he might do. The Anti-Tubities can also at the same time discuss the massive problems that exist in RTÉ.

However the Pro-Tubities are only here for circularly arguments, abusing other posters and have little to say about the difficulties that RTÉ find themselves in. They find it hard to realize the Tubs is just part of this whole fiasco.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I agree they need to be held to account and look for cost savings to cover some/most of this shortfall but not at the expense of either quality or nurturing new talent - they would be my red lines but you can’t help but think they’ll go for the lowest common denominator here and just provide a shitshow of middle of the road and put their two fingers up at the government and indeed the public - they’re public servant lifers and they know how to play the system and the games and they will -mark my words they’ll get their own back on any politician who wants real change at the next election - “oh sorry we can’t cover your campaign- cut backs and all of that”

• Advertisement

Well put old boy. It's like they just want to stop the conversation and for things to go back to how they were for some reason. Maybe people with links to the RTE gravy train? Intriguing! Or possibly they are just a bit odd and dictatorial, like the woman I once heard on the radio telling a DJ who had expressed a dislike for Daniel O'Donnell that he was not entitled to his opinion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement