Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

If anyone has a presale code or link for tomorrow I would really appreciate a DM (I bought my ticket second hand so havent been sent one). Didnt think I would be going again next year but it was so good I am already making plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

I see the Rolling Stones are launching a new album with a bit of hype today. Wondering if they are planning a 'farewell' outdoor tour next summer, and if they could be the reason for the date change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

EP cannot afford the Rolling Stones. Their fee guarantee is between €2m and €3m

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

5000 extra x 200 = 1000000 extra in the kitty , could they actually aim that big....? doubt it but that extra lolly could help payroll a top act for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

1 million quid would go a long way to better services on the site, if they could sort the rubbish issue (though that means culling about half the attendees) and the pissing everywhere issue that would be a fantastic use of 1 million quid.

In all likely hood it will go to a better profit margin and solving higher running costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It's all about the profit margin. I'd imagine the silver campsite is making way for the extra 5,000 general campers next year.

At 75,000 punters, you're at Oxegen levels. That should bring an Oxegen bill, and for all its faults, the lineups were very good.

I get EP has so much more going on, but those side show area are run on a shoestring, so the money is there if the will is.....

If you think Radiohead, U2, The Rolling Stones or Foo Fighters will be headlining you haven't been paying attention.

Out of those, the only possibility would be foos and they've just done standalone shows here for the longest time.

I have tickets for next year. I wouldn't entertain paying for a pre-pitched tent, I just think there's no value there. If i do go, i reckon it'll be ECO, and head down on the Thursday, even if it's just to get the tent set up (i don't live that far away).

I'll certainly be doing the Roryfest, Forest Fest, and one of either EP or ATN depending on which lineup takes my fancy.

Snarky Snark Snark

U2 don't do festivals really (Glastonbury being the exception). Foos and R-Word are probably not that far off the cost of Billie Eilish or the Killers.

The Foos play quite a number of much smaller festivals so wouldn't write them off at all.

You've mentioned Oxygen so I pulled the last 4 years of headliners from wikipedia and guess what! we've had a lot of them and in recent times so the headliners do stack up if you want to focus on that narrow pool of acts which lets face facts, are now a generation ago, last oxygen was 2011.

Headliners included:

Arcade Fire - not had in a long time

Arctic Monkeys - played last year

Beyoncé - intergalactic, not happening

Blur - played in living memory,

Coldplay - intergalactic, not happening

Eminem - not touring but also probably out of reach

Fatboy Slim - there would be war (but could easily be booked), last played 2013

Foo Fighters - possible

Jay-Z - intergalactic, not happening

Kasabian - not what they were in popularity

Kings of Leon - not what they were in popularity

Lady Gaga - possible

Muse - possible

My Chemical Romance - unlikely

Pendulum - who?

R.E.M. - defunct - if they came back I would actually kill to see them again

Rage Against the Machine - they had them booked

Snow Patrol - played last year

The Black Eyed Peas - defunct

The Killers - wait till you hear when they played!

The Prodigy - played recently

The Strokes - played recently

The Verve - defunct but we had Ashcroft and if he plays again he's going to be EA levels

That's just headliners, they also need to fund the rest of the lineup which is bigger and broader than oxygen

Note: Chances are Forest Fest is done, the pitch was utterly f**ked, i'd say the compensation to fix that tore the shirts off their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Pretty sure it's just general sale tomorrow, the presale ended last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

An interesting list, rose tinted glasses and all that comes to mind for the oxegen lineups. It definitely had "bigger" acts but it was also of its time. Those years of 04 to 11 were full of a boom of indie bands thathappened to become huge around the same time. Bands like the killers, kings of Leon, Keane, Kaiser chiefs, bloc party, libertines, etc etc. Oxegen also had a great knack of getting big US names, like green day, Foos, Audioslave. Those years for me were a fantastic time for music and their bookings mostly reflected my own taste at the time.

Shame about forest fest, did the ground get badly torn up or what?

Snarky Snark Snark

That's what I was pointing out, people banging on about oxygen, ENOUGH!, it was a long time ago and the world and bands moved on, the ones that are still big, we actually do get and we do get a lot of the ones that are not as big anymore (and are now cheaper! e.g. Ash, Lightning Seeds).

They probably had a large dollop of absolute sh1te also but everyone skips over that.

Edit : they had Goldie Lookin Chain, Avril Lavigne, Mika, The Ting Tings (multiple incidences), The Script, Calvin Harris (multiple incidences), Kesha.

That's f'ing horrific

And yes the pitch was absolutely destroyed at Forest Fest, just cannot see that coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Mucker46

General sale Friday. Apparently on big screen at picnic that would be presale tomorrow for those there 5his year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

RE: Forest Fest, whilst the music was great, the weather was atrocious for the full 3 days give or take a few breaks. Campsite wasn't in great knick after one night. There was no segregation between General Camping, Family Camping and Security Camping, which to my mind is by far the worst thing. We spoke to a downhearted mother of two kids after she'd struggled to get them to use one of the 12 portaloos for 1k+ tents on the Saturday morning, saying she'd likely have to go home.

I had a great time at Forest Fest, vendors and music were great but there's not a chance in hell I'd rush back if it does recover from the hundreds of irate customers likely looking refunds.

Snarky Snark Snark

christ, i'm now remembering the mudbath that was around the urinals at the entrance to the main pitch, the mud was sloppy wet and about 2 inches deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

They were mostly a large dollop of absolute shite with a couple of years exception. Tons of landfill indie and crap pop.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We'll get another festival end of August start of September from Live Nation/Pod but it'll be "boutique" like the original EP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I'd actually love to see Pendulum at EP, would be a decent EA headliner. Caught them at Oxegen in 2009 and were class live.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Was it easy to sneak cans in this year??

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

thebronze14

Registered Users

Was it easy to sneak cans in this year??

Very easy from silver moon campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah limited to no chance of another late august/September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I can't let another year's thread end without posting something, mainly to say thanks to all of you who take the time to give recommendations etc in the run up, as well as those who have been the "engine" of these threads overs the years (whether attending or not), and made it easier for the likes of me to put together a list of "hope to see" acts.

Musically speaking I've never really had my finger on the pulse, and EP has been a great antidote to that affliction (as have the EP threads), always offering something that opens my eyes a little wider. We thoroughly enjoyed this year and if the universe allows next year will be #17 for myself/herself. The tickets have been bought, so now I just need to find a good lurking spot for the 2024 thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭dav09

100%, seen them in England in 2021 and a few weeks ago as a double headliner with Limp Bizkit and wow was it fun! Pendulum are amazing live and their new music is excellent too. Bands I recently seen that were mentioned above I think the Prodigy (a lot has changed since they last played but still excellent) and Chemical Brothers both good shouts as bands who would be universally enjoyed no matter how young their targeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Closer to €300, all extra tickets will be at top price so that’s close to €1.5m extra.

Can’t see the Stones doing it anyway, the only European fests I can ever recall them doing are Glastonbury and Isle of Wight.

The Foos and Radiohead regularly do festivals. U2 members have been on site to see acts there twice before and doing a gig there may appeal. 75k is an appealing crowd and at Slane levels. If Benn is being honest it’s one of the above, Depeche Mode or similar.

FR would see them as fitting right in with The Killers, Tame Impala, Arctic Monkeys, RATM & Massive Attack in terms of indie-ish booked headliners of the past five years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yes and it’s an extra 5000 that they don’t really need to do anything extra cost wise to accommodate, €1.2M extra revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

“Muddddddderrrrr——-fcukkkkkkkkeerrs”!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Genghis

Don't forget that they get 30 % of everything the 5000 spend on food, merchandise, probably 50% of what they spend in bars and probably 20-30% on cost of pink moon etc.

Conservatively you could expect an extra €100 from these streams for each of the 5000, so in reality ticket plus concessions is €400 X 5k or €2m.

I also think they did not move dates for a regular €2-3m act, I think whoever it is is above normal range on a one off basis. So we can dream bigger (and then find out it's Lewis Capaldi again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

Any code going for today..please..thanks and regards

Advertisement