Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tubs has gone full frontal looking for attention there and the best he can get is some selfies

With two of the biggest shots in British broadcasting in fairness, who I presume are busy men and are under no obligation to give him the time of day. I'd be surprised if anyone in Irish media would do better in the circumstances. Plus they're only the bits of Mr T goes to London we've been allowed to see. I'd imagine he's also having 'brief chats' about job opportunities with others with less profile but more clout. I know a lot of you are desperate to write off Tubridy as a hopeless nonentity when cut off from the RTE mothership but I'm suspending judgment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Traditionally, RTE has been the beneficiary of the stable two and a half party model with FF and FG being the two large parties and Labour being the half-party. That kept RTE largely on-side with the government. The worrying prospect for RTE is that SF could be the senior party in the next government and that could cause a lot of problems. The financial adjustments could happen now under the FFG government or there could be even more rationalisations under an SF-led govenment. The Tubridy payments scandal was only the tip of the iceberg. This is an existential crisis for RTE in its current format.

The RTE staff seemed to be very angry when the Tubridy payments story broke and they are the ones to watch. Revolutions always start in the Middle Classes and the RTE staffers are effectively RTE's Middle Class. They also have the most to gain from a complete change in culture in RTE with the talent's payments being reduced. Such moves by the politicians to rein in the excesses of the RTE management could be quite popular.

Almost right on cue:

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure he is having brief chats about jobs, just like when he and Noel flew to London earlier in the summer for meetings with TV “top bosses”. Sure he is.

Or maybe he’s “saving up” for a trip to America to have brief chats about jobs there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Sounds like it’s a topic to get dumped on the peoples assembly or whatever it’s called and let them decide the fate of RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I hear Fitzpatrick Hotels are “always interested in hearing from talented people” - oh eh wait, something wrong with that 🤪

• Advertisement

In ordinary times, it would. But Tubridy effectively gave a face to the scandal and the opportunity for votes will have politicians scrambling to get a piece of the action. There are still some PAC and Media committee hearings coming up and the government won't want SF members of those committees dominating proceedings. The People's Assembly things are for stuff that the government wants to kick down the road and this is just too big an opportunity for politicians to gain votes. There is also talk of a shock election but that might just be the usual back-to-school rumours before the Dail resumes later this month. If there was to be a shock GE then putting the boot in on RTE could save a few seats for FFG.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Don't you mean allegedly flew to London as we have no proof of this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you think someone is a re-reg troll then just report them. Never respond to them as we cannot search for quotes and we do not have time to try and look for quotes - it just gives them the oxygen they crave, leaving their comments for anyone to see, and encourages them to sign up again

And do not call out anyone you think is trolling in thread. That is backseat moderation and you can expect sanction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Speaking about The Late Late Show, which is regarded as an Irish television institution, he explained: "Think of it as the TARDIS. I was the third Doctor, and did that for 14 years and did radio for another 20 years. Loved, loved, loved it, and then came over to London some years ago, met you,” he said to Chris. “Filled in for you a couple of mornings, filled in for whoever it was, Graham [Norton], Terry Wogan. When they were stuck for an Irish Lilt, they said, ‘Tubridy, get over here’!

When talk turned to the fact that Chris once gifted Ryan a very collectible Beatles concert ticket, the Irish TV and radio star spoke about a gift from another superstar. “On the last Late Late Show, I got a gift from… this is a real name drop… obviously U2 are Irish, they are a great band. And when the last couple of presenters finished their Late Late Show, they gave them a gift of, like a Harley Davidson or something. So Bono turned around and said, ‘Ryan, you're not a rocker, you're a mod’. Which is right.

"So they gifted me - there's only one I think - a red electric Vespa that's arriving at my house tomorrow. A U2 Vespa, I am so excited!” 

He added: “So that's my boast for the day. Is that okay?” 

When you don't hear of him for a time, you can actually forget how unbelievably annoying and fake he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't he get the Vespa on the show??? Why's he now getting it tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

More lies, I presume. There's an article from June, where he was due to receive the Vespa within a matter of days. Will be photos of it on his Instagram page tomorrow. Anyone else notice the number of times he used his own name during the interview. Part of Noel's branding strategy to get his name out there. Also trying to put out that he's best mates with Bono. Judging by this, he has no offers and is panhandling for a job in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is this the only company that is bankrupt but keeps increasing salaries?

That would be an ecumenical question. :) It hadn't exceeded its credit lines from what I remember but its borrowings had a limit. The collapse in the licence fee revenue this year caused serious problems for it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No it definitely happened…..I read it online so it must be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Hopefully our diligent best-practices Taoiseach will be able to find a multinational services firm that can verify those numbers to help us out.

Also I'm sure Taoiseach Leo will have been heartened, just like the RTE management, that the report released today indicates that the Toy Show was "really loved" and that "Children in particular were very taken with the story and songs and the fact that the show was led by a diverse cast of children like them." Just look at FFG relentlessly delivering that diversity dividend for us voters, oh hang on, but what about the housing/health/policing dividend, LOL!

Perhaps he'll try to hire the Arthur Anderson firm. :) It did wonderful work on Enron.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why did I read that guff on the indo site? I actually feel unwell🥴

The more I read this man's Instagram posts on his website (sorry meant independent.ie) the sadder this sap is coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Tub's trip to the UK has all of the hallmarks of a press tour. The slot on Evans' show had all of the softball, pre-arranged questions you would expect. As others have pointed out, zero reference to any of his turbulent summer.

That sort of interview works for him over there - and guess why? Becasue the audience has no idea of the recent controversy - because they have no idea who he is.

Actual celebrities don't kick up noise unless they have something to flog. And generally they'll be contractually obliged to do so. However, in Ryan's case, I'm guessing it's himself he's trying to flog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

RTE are seriously fucked and technically insolvent thanks to bogus self employment. Details are below.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

The Independent.ie coverage is tough to read… literally copying and pasting all the positive Instagram comments from his very orchestrated posts.

I watched that video clip of his interview with Chris Evan’s and it was cringy. Tubs is obviously trying to fit in anywhere but he came across as trying waaay too hard. Even Chris Evan’s one-upped his relationship with Bono and I felt he was talking to either Damien Lewis or his producers (ie. not Tubs) when reciting the story.

The revelations coming out tonight from the RTE accounts are disgraceful. The place needs a near-complete clean out and restart. But knowing our crowd the govt will just throw money at them and nothing will change!

Noticed Chris kept talking over him as soon as RT started to say something, did smile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

That could be the extra money RTE want. Tax payers money to pay the Tax Man.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

That’s a serious can of worms opened. Contractors now getting reclassified as employees, rte are going to be hit with massive tax bills. I wonder will it happen now in the multi nationals now as well as they are in the same position.

You can read below - the questions is why some broadcasters are employees and others are contractors for doing the same job, there is no reason why they should employ contractors on rolling contracts for decades

Employee v Contractor - Irish Legal Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

52 actors in Fair City are now employees.

Just think about that their are 52 full time characters in Fair City.

That's a huge cast and I know it is a long running soap but 52 people cannot appear in every singe episode. They can't all appear in every 52 episodes or 13 weeks of Fair City. How do you have 52 full time actors ?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Careful now you will have the "I Love Fair City" crowd in.

RTÉ also have 232 part-time / casual workers.

How do you have 232 part-time / casual workers, do they all work in the Canteen?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement