Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surely once you get to a certain point in the market the majority of sales are in a chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

I just sold and bought (contracts signed both sides) chained. Nearly all properties I looked at were in a chain or investors selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No, it isn’t normal to be able to find a rental the day you complete the sale, and a LL willing to let you rent for a short period until you find a new home. If you want to find a rental, and pay rent on it for months until the buyer actually signs the contracts, or you move out leaving the home you are selling, that seems a less than normal approach. Maybe you are right, maybe it was normal to look on a site today, rent it tomorrow, and the LL won’t mind if you move out in 3 months. I never seen it and I’ve been in the rental/property market in Ireland/UK for 30 years, so I’ll have to take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

These will all sell out on private sales appointments I would guess. Far too cheap in current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

There were always houses popping up when folk needed to rent a house out for short term basis for any number of reasons. Most common seemed to be people moving overseas for a year for work. But again, that was pre-2018

• Advertisement

There are thousands of short let’s in Ireland for short term basis, try Airbnb.

And you just happen to have one available right? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There's always probate, ex-rentals, and new builds hitting the market. Probate in particular makes a big chunk of non-chain sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is really simple when it comes to rentals between house sales. Some people did rent most didn't in the past. To do it now is a lot more complicated due to the change in rental regulations. If a tenant decides they want to stay in a property that the owners expect back after a short period the tenant has the right no matter what was signed and agreed. In the past that was not the case so any owner is taking a huge risk to even try to rent for a short period so this doesn't happen anymore.

AirBNB is an expensive option and locations are spotty.

Yes it should be possible to rent short term for such reasons like selling and getting renovations but bad policies have really restricted this to no longer be an option. Friends and family are really the only ways to do this now and there have been stories here where this has worked out very badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Back before the crash a lot of people bought their new houses and then moved in and kep t old house for a while (sometimes for years) before selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

That was when banks would provide a bridging loan over and above the mortgage…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

It was for many reasons, but its a lot less likely to happen these days.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Another really good podcast from David McWilliam’s that examines the cost difference on major infrastructure projects in different countries worldwide referencing a 5 year study of over 900 projects

Spain, Portugal, Italy and Sweden are tops and can deliver comparable projects up to 10 times cheaper than UK, US and other Anglo linked countries.

Starts about 20 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Dont we already have restrictive AirBnB policy here?

Not as bad as the New York one, but I dont think you can rent on AirBnB for more than 30 days a year now in rent pressure zones.

Basically anywhere that isnt a backwater/boreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

They wont though - they are so afraid of another property crash they just cant help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,868 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Let me guess….Easier to confiscate/acquire land with less recourse through the courts or environment objections.

China are better than all those countries at major infrastructure projects….flood a valley with towns and villages in less than a year to build a dam.

• Advertisement

Not for people in those areas who own their property or have investment properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Nermal

They're in the top 5%-10% of earners. If they reflected a bit they might ask: shouldn't that result in living somewhere a bit nicer than 'Clay Farm'? Perhaps with room to comfortably pay creche fees in future?

I'm not saying it's the wrong decision, especially when contrasted with renting.

But it's not one I'd jump at...

Definitely easier when you don't have to worry about process.

In fairness though, their high speed rail network is an amazing example of their mega-project abilities.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/china-high-speed-rail-cmd/index.html

No fewer than 37,900 kilometers (about 23,500 miles) of lines crisscross the country, linking all of its major mega-city clusters, and all have been completed since 2008.

Half of that total has been completed in the last five years alone, with a further 3,700 kilometers due to open in the coming months of 2021.

The network is expected to double in length again, to 70,000 kilometers, by 2035.

2035 - the same time our 20km long Dublin Airport rail line will be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭DataDude

Yeah that’s a fair point. I’m not familiar with the specifics of Clay Farm but sounds like these are 1800sqft 4 beds in not the epicentre, but within a stones throw of some of the most expensive areas in the country (Foxrock, Blackrock etc.).

I do agree at the upper end there’s a disconnect between being a top earner and what house you can buy as a top earner (I suspect that’s due to familial/inherited wealth), but at the same time those 4 bed houses in Clay Farm would be a dream house for the vast majority of the country.

Loosing a leg instead of your head argument was around in the celtic tiger bubble also

• Administrators Posts: 53,840 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clay Farm is right on the green Luas. The Leopardstown Valley stop may as well be renamed the Clay Farm stop.

This is going to add a huge premium to the prices. The green Luas is by quite a distance the best public transport corridor in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True. I think that was always the likley outcome.

But to be positive, the rule not being enforced has probably helped some of the rural tourist towns stay afloat, given lack of tourist hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Obviously you guys all earn a lot more than me. I’d love to buy in Clay Farm but I can’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Blut2

If its a young couple with both earning over €100k they're not in the top 10%, more like top 1%.

Clay Farm might be modern new builds but its very much not a desirable area compared to any of the traditional actually nice coastal suburbs like Sandymount/Blackrock/Monkstown/Dalkey etc. The area around Clay Farm is very isolated and lacking in amenities. Its very much not "within a stones throw" of Blackrock, its a 20min/8km drive away.

It does show how even very high income people are getting screwed by our housing market, though. People earning in the top 1% would be able to afford to live somewhere much nicer in a functioning housing market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People really get caught up in what they THINK is a functioning housing market. If property is being sold and bought it is functioning just not the way you want. I do agree that things should be different but something radically changed in Ireland in the 90s disrupting the traditional housing market here. Those changes are now the norm after 30 years.

A few years in the difference of buying a property meant completely different outcomes. I have seen senior managers living in bad areas and small properties compared to much lower paid staff who are paying less for their mortgages. This means if that lower paid staff, if promoted in the mean time, can afford these expensive homes. The belief new housing is being sold to FTB and they have no saving above the deposit is the issue. The expensive housing was very rarely sold to FTBs and more often sold to people going up the ladder.

FTB housing is always the cheaper property and not every development has to be for them as we need the smaller properties and prices for FTB to become free by getting them original FTBs to move up the ladder. That is the nature of housing markets.

At one point prices were going up so quickly it made it affordable to retain the FTB house and still buy another one.

We need more housing is the only thing most people agree on now. When the government was advised by the ERSI to encourage building a large vocal public were furious. No investment happened and no housing was encouraged and we ended up with a huge housing defecate that will most likely sorted by an aging population rather than new buildings.

Bigger housing is going to be split up and can be seen in many modest housing estates around Dublin already.

There are many ways that the housing market can and will change in Ireland that people aren't even considering as they expect certain things to remain. WFH is also a huge change to housing requirements that people were considering but COVID ramped up the speed on that than anyone expected.

Advertisement