Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

seems strange to me that people are calling their current providers looking to stay, just find a better deal and move on and if energia want to keep you they will be in touch with a better deal once the switch has been instigated

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Do flogas send a reminder to do an electricity meter read? Still on Day/Night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Happyhouse22

I see 39% of being offered for BG here. Presume this is Bord Gais. I’m about the finish my contract with them on October 1st and being offered 10%. Just I call to try and get higher or is just wait to later the better move…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭wassie

Obvious question - have you checked your online account given these offers were increased last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Finally..

EI to ↓ prices 01/11/23: Electricity ↓ 10%, Gas ↓ 12%, standing charges ↓ 10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Were those Flogas rates a hidden offer that is gone? The main issue I have with moving to Flogas is they only pay you twice a year for export whereas Energia do it each bill. But if I could get those flogas rates I would still take them

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Sorry for pulling up old post but I am very similar to this and my God it is infuriating, only difference is I am on 24 hour meter.

My contract expired 29th Aug and as of now am still sitting tight but getting a bit restless and would love to have it sorted in next week or so. The highest I have been able to get them up to is 15% and nobody that I have called since can see that offered to me.. Once you go out of contract they aren't bothered with you really just so frustrating as was tracking it regularly online and would when was at work and I think possibly 12% was the best I got so if had of been on here would have spotted existing customers were starting to get great renewal discount offers but was abroad so was in a total different headspace. Best I have been offered is from Electric Ireland door salesman whose number I have but have seen bad stories about them on here with switching on a smart meter when you leave them, don't have one but they could probably try and stiff me another way if left them. Rates he offered were 18% discount 12.03 incl VAT and 35.48 incl VAT, I am always wary of buying on my door as a lot of those guys are absolute spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anyone have experience with small business electricity plans for a small office? Are there any comparisons/tips with this - or do I just need to ring around all providers? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just got an email reply yesterday from Flogas after asking the same question. This is what they said ...

"Thank you for your email. Meter read reminder messages isn't a service we offer just yet. However if you'd like to make a calendar note to submit reads on 28th - 1st of every second month by calling us on 041-2149500 or emailing meter.reads@flogas.ie or submitting through our online portal, we will apply them for you. The next meter read date is 28 October. I hope you find this helpful. Should you require any additional information please do not hesitate to contact us by replying here".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

People are finding better offers up to 44% discount on their account as the end of contract date gets closer, it depends on which discount you were on last year. If you were on 39% people are being offered 44% now or if 33% it's 38% now but not set in stone so keep checking and decide before end of contract because the discounts get withdrawn according to others then.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

You keep stating BG customers are getting discounts towards the end of their contract but I dont recall seeing this at all. The discounts all got upped at the same time. Some people were close to their contract expiry date so it would appear that way for them, but there are many of us that were 4-5 weeks away and also got the discounts.

Posters are not reporting discounts being upped again for a 3rd time closer to contact expiry. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but going by the posts over the last two weeks this is what seems to be happening. BG are not moving on the revised discounts.

The discounts are not being withdrawn either. People are not renewing in time and the offers are lapsing - there's a difference. But importantly your point is spot on - check before the end of contract cannot be understated, as people are finding out the hard way.

The 5% increase on last years offer may possibly only apply to first time renewals - this point Im not as sure about though. Those of us on the 2nd plus renewals with BG may possibly not be getting 5% increases as it is already factored in. I am on 39% - same as last year & year before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm actually on a 24hr rate as well. Still no joy since I posted. I'm also sitting tight to see what happens over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

10% on electricity from November and it's now early September- WOW life changing stuff there E I.😤

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This will be the second year with BG and have only been offered the 33% discount (was on One Big Switch deal last year). There was no 5% increase for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I don't mean to be going off topic here, but you're missing my point. And that is that Flogas may well be within their rights to look for proof that the poster is definitely entitled to the Community Plan rates if they go making a fuss about the 30 euro credit. Flogas could in theory even offer another 30 euro credit but remove the poster from the Community Plan altogether, as they are likely not entitled to or eligible for these rates. The bottom line here is that I think it's no harm for the poster to quit while they're ahead...

As I said, Im more than happy to be proven wrong/corrected for the benefit of the thread, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I'm in the same boat, despite the statement with the offer about an extra 5% per year with them. I presume you are electricity only and your contact also expires around mid Oct...

I have the impression that BG might essentially be matching the rate that customers were on the previous year, e.g. customers on 38% are being offered this again. Or there could be another kickback to OBS perhaps for second year renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Changes don't start til November 1st, a 2 month lead in, biggest I've seen.

Anyone have their new rates? Can't find them on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They charge you to remove anything they install still. But if you have a smart meter they dont need to install anything. They also charge you by the month for breaking the contract.

Posts #5385 #5394 #5424 #5441 give an indication of how offers can vary. Not derailing the thread anymore. Whether an offer expires or is withdrawn is irrelevant it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm not missing the point. Why would they ask for proof when it wasn't required on signing up? I think you're missing the point, it's written in their charter in black and white they'll give 30 if they mess up your billing, there's nothing in the charter regarding the BWG or community offers. Anyway we're going completely off topic I'm not saying anything else on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Waterpower extend their moratorium another two weeks 😃 Poor guys, must've tonnes of paperwork to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

So I am guessing now its a no brainer to switch to Electric Ireland in November? I am with Energia and contract expires in October.

So Electric Ireland, Energia and Airtricity have announced cuts in the last week or so. Expect Bord Gais and Glogas to follow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

So E I were giving a 5.5 % discount as standard previously(electricity),so the new rate is only an extra 4.5 % off???

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

For my club I was in touch with www.utilityfair.ie ,seems like the bonkers equivalent for business customers. They are fairly good at responding to queries as well.. we have not moved yet, but will do so at end of month. So I can't comment on the process they follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Their standard rates are cuurently 43.27 24h, 46.23 c/kWh Day and 22.80 c/kWh Night. Standing charge 302.92 / €396.89

That's a slap in the face to customers

Advertisement