Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah they should've slowed down/stopped, but the other cars actively sped up and should've allowed a safe merge. Idiots everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Yes, I’d certainly be more cooperative in letting people merge into my lane. Aggressive “I’m damned if you’re getting in front of me” winds me up. I’m just making the point that the legal responsibility lies with the merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wait.. so where there were 2 lanes (and still marked as in the above pic) previously for tunnel to M8 north, now there's gonna be a single lane along that pink line?

This with the restricting of M8 south to tunnel to a single lane on approach as well on the other side of course too.

And these are improvements?? I think Kermit has summed it up perfectly above TBH.

This ^^ All day long this!!

I've called out this shambles a few times on this thread - from design to implementation - and been rounded on by the fans who insist that less is somehow more.

It's nonsense. Another half-assed, badly planned and implemented "Oirish" solution to something that there was no shortage of other/far better examples to draw from.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Agreed this could cause issues in the right hand lane of the tunnel with artics etc slowing traffic, however a very small percentage of traffic from N40 is going M8 north and right now the 4th lane is closed off for the last number of weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Could you tell me how the lanes on exiting the tunnel would work to give both M8 north 2 lanes and to also give N25 east (by far the most trafficked movement) 2 lanes? I’ve asked Kermit but he hasn’t replied.

2 lanes for M8 north is impossible if N25 east is given 2 lanes (which it has to be given traffic levels). The limiting factor is the tunnel only bring 2 lanes and there is no way around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

l me it looks like there are two potential examples or poor driving.

Driver 1, in the left lane going under the overpass driving on the hatched area and cossing the solid white line to change into the new lane joining on their left.

Driver 2, in the right lane going under the overpass overtaking driver 1 as their lanes merge.

Whether driver 2 caused driver 1 to do what they did as an avoiding action or just took advantage of driver 1's illegal lane. change to motor on in the lane they were in isn't clear.

What is badly needed is greater monitoring and enforcement at places like this rather than for being 5kmh over the speed limit on a HQDC in light traffic and good conditions. Pinch points like this could even be monitored and policed remotely by camera.

Putting a requirement for zip merging on a statutory footing might also help.

I'm not an engineer.. that's up to the I'm sure very well-paid consultants, designers and project managers to figure out. I'm sure there were alternatives mapped out or other designs elsewhere that could have been studied.

All I care about as a motorist is that lanes have been removed, diversions (as Kermit pointed out) put in place to achieve the same thing that the roundabout managed previously (M8-city) and this is somehow better??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

I'd contend all 3 drivers at fault .

First black car (Lead) failed to increase speed to that of the lane he was planning on joining (30 to 60 kph)

Second black car jumped the queue and crossed the white line , impatient with the speed of the car in front

The silver car should have yielded , and let him out , whats it going to cost him ? a extra few seconds on his journey at a time when traffic flows are light ?

(Judging by the lack of traffic coming from the west).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

People have a short memory, it seems... Here's the actual lane layout approaching the interchange from the tunnel: N40 - Google Maps . From left to right, that's:

1. N8 Cork, M8 Dublin
    2. N25 East, M8 Dublin
    3. N25 East
    4. N25 East (not really a whole lane, more like three cars worth of waiting space)

(Also worth noting in that picture are the "60 km/h" signs, for people complaining about a "new" speed limit being imposed on them)

Yes, two lanes on the old road had "N8 Dublin" painted on them, but they were shared with other movements. And what does two halves add up to...? One. One lane. Just like now, except there will be no lane-weaving when you're on the interchange (people who are too special to read signs notwithstanding), so you get through quicker. On the old layout that second M8 lane was effectively useless, as it was used almost exclusively by traffic for N25 - lots of drivers ended up having to change lane back to the first lane while on the roundabout.

The fact is the new junction is far, far faster to traverse than the old roundabout was. For some reason, people seem to expect that because there are no traffic lights, they can just sail through at 60km/h at any time of day or night. You can't - there's still such a thing as traffic peaks, but even at peak times, traffic gets from one side to the other much faster than it did before.

• Advertisement

I’m not going to continue debating with people who preach or support a view that there should be “no lane reduction whatsoever”, apparently unaware that 6 is greater than 2, thereby making bifurcation and/or merging a mathematical inevitability.

Ok. You’re complaining about M8 north only having one lane but it is physically impossible to have any other solution without widening the tunnel to 3 lanes.

The only other solution was to have both lanes facilitating M8 north. This would mean only lane 1 could have been used for N25 East. This would be a completely suboptimal solution given N25 is the most heavily trafficked movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

What’s there now is much better than what was there before, but you need to think a little about how traffic flows to realise this. It might not be intuitive, but one dedicated lane is better than having two lanes that are shared with other movements. Once drivers have got used to there being only one lane, and they start sorting appropriately before the tunnel, things will improve a lot.

... plus, there’s still one movement from the tunnel that isn’t open fully yet.

Exactly. 1 free flow lane vs 2 lanes which have to face traffic lights is a much better scenario.

M8 South to Tunnel is now 1 lane and has no traffic at all anymore. That 1 lane is much more efficient than the old 2 lanes signalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Little bit of Mishap today in Dunkettle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Or here at 30 secs in, white van speeding along in right lane taking the right fork. Car further along in the left lane running out of road as the left lane is bollarded off and they have to come to a standstill almost. I could be wrong as it's difficult to see the orange signs, but they seem to say it's the right lane is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

This has been said already, but 30km/h in the interchange from City Centre N8 - Westbound N40 is.. very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just having a lie down, maybe the heat got to it.

Is it common for rubber ducks to go over?

They’ve somehow decided that the much tighter turn radii of the roundabouts at the new dumbbell junction are ok to be negotiated at 60 so I’m not sure on what basis this loop is 30. When a special limit lacks basis it is arbitrary, and the courts have ruled that arbitrary special limits are unlawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

It depends on what you're driving. 30km/h is probably not to slow for a fully laden HGV, but it's definitely to slow for the roadholding capability of a high end car.

A good few HGV's have come to grief on the the slip from the N40 westbound to the N28 southbound where the limit is 100km/h, until you reach the end of the curve when it drops to 60 km/h

As is so often said, posted speed limits are not a target to be achieved, so something like 50 or 60 km/h on the link in question would seem to be not unreasonable. It's up to drivers of vehicles not not suitable to traverse the curve at the posted speed limit to reduce their speed accordingly.

There are an abundance of charges under the Road Traffic Act which can be thrown at any driver failing to safely navigate the curve, irrespective of the set speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

"Once drivers have got used to there being only one lane, and they start sorting appropriately before the tunnel, things will improve a lot."

Most of the interchange has been open for months now - how much longer before drivers "get used" to it? At the last big opening people were saying it would take a few days!

The lanes exiting the tunnel will change with the final alignment. At the moment you have to be in lane 1 to go to Midleton. It will change to be both lanes 1 and 2 in the final layout. This will result in a big change and hopefully improve throughout going north out of the tunnel.

Embankment just before the bridge over the rail line is being constructed for the n25 West to M8 north movement I see.

Starting to lay tarmac down on the new Tunnel to M8 north alignment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Has that actually been officially stated? Signage would suggest otherwise? Be great if it happens though.....at least for the evening rush eastbound. Coming the other way in the morning (and to a lesser, but still significant, extent, evening) though is a tougher nut to crack - long queues eastward every morning, including queues from Tivoli (acknowledging though that there are more lanes to be opened here). Don't see any way to funnel traffic from the east into both tunnel lanes southbound without carnage!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

It looks like they may be building a 3rd lane for West bound traffic to the tunnel from n25 . Delays in the morning there still pretty bad with the merging lane but again can't say if this will improve or not until everything is fully opened.

Would it not have been better to have designed just one long lane for the N40 from immediately after Jct.2 of the N25 westbound. Would that prevent the stop/start merging queues resulting from the current two into one layout.

With such a long slip lane free-flowing into the tunnel at 60 or 80 km/h it's hard to imaging it backing up all the way to jct 2 and clogging the mainline of the N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

On that note, I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't going to be 2 lanes from N25E into the tunnel with some rather unpleasant merging. The whole construction is wide enough, and I've not seen anything to the contrary.

Personally, I don't understand the tailbacks into the tunnel direction from the east. It doesn't correlate with the merging locations, it seems to be that people can't deal with the little hill that exists there.

A breakdown, puncture, or accident would then compromise or even block the entire flow (including for tow trucks, emergency vehicles, etc.). And it would mean that at quieter times of day, all vehicles would have to move at the speed of the slowest vehicle on that link. No thanks.

With one driving lane there would be plenty of room to provide a hard shoulder for breakdowns and emergency vehicles.

You can get stuck behind a vehicle travelling slowly than you want to without the opertunity to safely overtake anywhere, that's just one of life's little temporary inconveniences.

• Advertisement

So you don’t think that the road design should maximise the safe overtaking opportunity all because people can’t merge efficiently. Interesting. I have more faith in people’s ability to get the hang of things.

Advertisement