Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are fuel cards worth it for private use?

• 05-09-2023 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I tried searching and all I kept getting results for were the circle K spin and win thread and the thread about nct going cashless (thanks boards for terrible search functionality).

I was looking at my siptu rewards and can see I could get a circle K fuel card, 4c off per litre, or a dci fuel card, 3c off per litre.

Now I get that with fuel cards you pay in bulk at the end of the month, but apart from this, is it a guaranteed saving? Is there an obvious catch I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The TOP garage on the Tallaght bypass offer their own loyalty card if that’s any good to you. 6c off per litre. No signup or account. Just scan at the till when you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The main benefit for me is the single monthly payment - although this was even more useful when I was doing big miles per month pre-Covid.

Not every card does this though - a lot of the "consumer" targeted cards work/invoice on a weekly basis which was pointless for me when my previous card moved to this format.

I also get a few cent off per litre, and a SMS on the Friday for the rate for following week which is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

No, there's no catch. It's a guaranteed free discount so a no brainer. When you first get one just make sure before you start filling that the station you're at takes whichever card you have.

Using 4c discount as an example, every 25l bought saves you €1. Doesn't sound like much but when you calculate it out based on your usage it can be significant.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have the Circle K one and it is 4c off per litre.

Of course most Circle Ks are expensive so you generally only save 1-2c per litre over other garages.

If your local Circle K is near a cheap amber garage though, they price match, so then you get some good savings.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have the circle k one. They invoice me every second week. Just be aware that a bounced DD is €35, so when they take the money out on a different day to when they say (this has happened far too often with me) and you dont have money, you lose several months of savings vey quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Useful, thanks.

Need to price local garages now to see if the 4c circle K or 3c dci makes more sense.

Second question, can you get 2 cards for the same account? If you have 2 cars I mean...

GRMA folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Companies can charge whatever they want for missed Direct Debits so long as you've agreed to it when signing up

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I Have the Circle K fuel card - actually started with the Topaz one before the buy out. As mentioned before I save about a euro per fill on average, not huge money but it all adds up if you fill every week or even fortnight. You do get the play or park competitions - never won anything mind but the treats for losing are handy. Also the loyalty card for the coffee and carwashing is handy.

The best thing about it is that if you are tight for funds you can fill up and not pay for 2 weeks so you can manage it that way but as a previous poster said you need to time it so the funds will be there come payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I found for individual use DCI started with rates better than on the sign outside but after a few months the rates were worst than on the big sign. I then rang up and they dropped my rate, followed by an increase again after a few months. Price was on a month by month basis and varied by customer and month. It was useless long term.

Going full electric was my solution and I saved around 4000 euro a year on fuel. (110km daily commute)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You can use the same card for as many cars as you like, you don't need a separate one for each vehicle.

It's also worth pointing out that Parking Tag users get 4c off per litre at Circle K, might save you having to sign up for a card at all.

Yes, you can have multiple cards on one account. Also, nothing stopping anyone having multiple cards from the different providers and just going with whoever is cheapest on the day. AFAIK none of them charge any services charges or anything like that so no additional costs for not using it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Problem is alot of them seem to require VAT/Company numbers etc. Not very handy if you're a personal customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

This thread seems to be confusing 2 different things,either a discount card(for 4c off a litre for example at circle K) and a fuel payment card.

Which is the OP talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

The circle k fuel card is also a discount card with 4c off.

They bill every other week.

The op could do what I do and also get a discount card, we get ours from the AA so we get 7c off each time from circle k. But even without that it's 4c off.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Can you use the AA discount scan to get the their 3c off and then scan the Circle K fuel card for their 4c then to get the 7c off?

or is is that you have a fuel card through the AA that offers 7c off?

You can combine the two, I've been doing it a couple of years. They take the 3c off from the aa so when you get your bill from circle k it shows the price after the 3c has taken off as the original price.

Most of the fuel payment cards would offer some kind of discount on the pump price or nobody would bother using them, and a lot of the 'private' discount cards are also linked to bank account and used for payment, so sort of all the same in that regard.

Saying that, I'd imagine the OP is looking specifically for discount.

Check with every organisation you're a member/customer of, some will have some kind of fuel card deal on offer. Bank, credit union, work, union, sports clubs, phone provider, energy provider, insurance provider etc. I could have got one about 5 ways.

As an example Circle K have a basic list of affiliates but there's far more than what they've listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

I found that can get 3c off through Bord Gais by getting a fuel card would this be in addition to any CircleKs discount cars? I saw the AA offer but as I've roadside assistance included with insurance it wouldn't be worth it.

Post edited by djan on

• Advertisement

No, because that'd be a fuel card, not just a discount. You can only use one fuel card as the sale is charged to them.

AXA do 4c off, I think avant do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭[Steve]

I use a DCI card - handy enough. 3c off normally, 5c off most weeks from Nov-Jan. Billed second Monday after fill-up. Full tank lasts 3-4 weeks for me so it's handy enough. Few quid off the bill, still get loyalty points with Circle K but not locked in to their card - works in UK too.

Advertisement