Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thanks, joke that it wasnt available this weekend. And that website is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yeah it’s not great. I think they wanted to keep the competitions separate. They’ve announced a partnership with the credit unions for the championship so I’m sure that may have tied into what they could do between league and championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Jason Doc has announced his retirement.

A great servant,there can't be many intercounty footballers who came back after 2 ACLS in their 30s.

A tough cookie with amazing work rate who could take a score aswell.

Best of luck to him in his club career aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Great man to win a breaking ball and get a score, did unbelievable to come back from those injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Doherty ended up being a great player.

And I say ended up because at the start of his career it looked like he maybe didn't have all it took to be a stalwart county player.

There was a time early on when myself and others had him lumped in with Varley and Freeman as guys who were obviously good players but were not at that extra level that Mayo needed to really challenge for All Irelands.

But Doherty emerged from that group and I think the 2012 SF was the day he did, from then on he was a very important part of the team in the middle third.

• Advertisement

Great to have the championship starting this weekend:

Group 1 

Breaffy v Ballina

Mayo Gaels v Balla

Group 2 

Westport v Charlestown

Claremorris v Ballaghaderreen 

Group 3

The Neale v Ballintubber 

Belmullet v Garrymore 

Group 4 

Knockmore v Castlebar 

Aghamore v Ballyhaunis

Bar one or two matches, you'd expect most of these to be farly tight.

Hoping to make it to the game in Knockmore, we could do with beating Castlebar having lost out in the last 3 very tight games

Was at the knockmore match earlier, not exactly a classic, lots of possession based football. We were slightly the better team in the 1st half but only made it show late on in the half to go in 3 up.

Castlebar dominated the first 20 mins of the 2nd half, really cleaned up on kickouts; they lead by 2 with around 10 to go and looked the likely winners although Hopkins had rattled the bar with a good chance for us.

Gibbons was pulled for stealing yards on a free to put them 3 up which they'd probably feel aggrieved at. Shane Mchale coming on gave us a foothold at MF, we won a couple of kickouts in a row and levelled it; one of those could have been a goal from Darren Mchale but it flew over.

In the last fews mins, Ruttledge missed a couple of easy enough chances to win it and Reape missed a scoreable free. Castlebar had a couple of difficult chances, also missed.

Darren Mchale, Dempsey, Armstrong (1st half) and Timlin were best for knockmore I thought. Paddy, Gibbons, Doran and James Durcan (2nd half sub) best for Castlebar

Both will feel like they could have won it but a draw was probably a fair result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Low scores all round in the senior championship when teams were remotely well matched. Looks like the problem of finding scores when faced with a well organised defence is endemic. Maybe look at the positives, at least there are a few well organised defences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Nice to at least break a terrible record v Castlebar, losing in 10, 11, 13, 16, 19 & 22. I can never remember us beating Castlebar in a championship match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Peadar Gardiner ratified as U20s manager with James Horan, Keith Higgins and Ger Cafferky involved in the backroom.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, stacked backroom team. Best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Do we know what weekend the New York game will be?

Kevin McLaughlin has announced his retirement.

Really enjoyed watching him over the years.

His goal v Cork in the QF in 2011 kicked off the era of Mayo football we have all enjoyed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

The quintessential underrated player.

A speed merchant with a savage jink,great points and goals all down the years, never let us down.

My favourites were the goal v Roscommon in the QF in 2017,the famous point off his weaker foot from distance to keep us up in 2018,the goal off the bench to get us to a one pont win v Armagh in 2019 qualifier and the goal that announced Mayo as a proper top team v Cork in 2011.

A better player than most who have a celtic cross.

He was just so reliable.

You could count on him to do the work game after game after game and step up when you needed to get out of a jam.

We need so many more like him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

not so reliable in taking frees to be fair to him. Hes probably the slightest player on the team but made a huge impact. suspect another to retire this year, and maybe another to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Care to elaborate who you else you are expecting to go/be dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A great servant!

I would never have classed him as a speed merchant in the traditional sense, but his speed and quick feet over the first 5 yards or so, was unbelievable. Was often left scratching my head after he somehow breezed past a defender when that had him stood up. An acceleration merchant is what I would class him.

AOS to retire (on age), POH to be dropped (on form)

A quality player for Mayo and Knockmore, sad to see another one retire without the big prize; a great man to win breaking ball and notch a score or two. Has the name of being under-appreciated but I think that's moreso that he doesn't get much media spotlight, most fans would have had him as one of the first names on the teamsheet during the 2010s. Was a major reason why we won the county title in 2020 - in particular, he ran the show against Ballina in the SF. Here's a clip of that goal v Cork in 2011:

https://twitter.com/radiomidwest/status/1698048147442778606

• Advertisement

Final round of fixtures: News Detail – Mayo GAA

Connacht Gold Senior Round 3

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Charlestown

Aghamore V Knockmore     (Mayo GAA TV)

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Claremorris

Ballyhaunis V Castlebar Mitchels

Saturday 16th September at 3pm in Ballindine

Breaffy V Mayo Gaels        (Mayo GAA TV)

Saturday 16th September at 3pm in Foxford

Ballina Stephenites V Balla

Sunday 17th September at 4pm in Ballyhaunis 

Ballaghaderreen V Charlestown    (Mayo GAA TV)

Sunday 17th September at 2:30pm in Breaffy

Westport V Claremorris

Sunday 17th September at 1pm in Hollymount 

Ballintubber V Garrymore      (Mayo GAA TV)

Sunday 17th September at 1pm in Josie Munnelly Park

Belmullet V Claremorris

Egan Jewellers Intermediate Club Championship Round 3

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Islandeady

Kilmeena V Kiltimagh

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Newport

Louisburgh V Ardnaree

Saturday 16th September at 7:30pm in Garrymore

Hollymount/Carramore V Ballinrobe

Sunday 17th September at 1pm in Crossmolina

Burrishoole V Kiltane

Sunday 17th September at 1pm in Bofeenaun

Bonniconlon V Parke Keelogues Crimlin

Sunday 17th September at 3:30pm in Clogher

Davitts V Islandeady

Sunday 17th September at 3:30pm in Mayo Abbey

Kilmaine V Moy Davitts

Sunday 17th September at 3:30pm in Knockmore

Castlebar Mitchels B V Crossmolina

TF Royal Hotel Junior Club Championship Round 3

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Ardagh

Ardagh V Achill

Saturday 16th September at 5pm in Killala

Killala V Eastern Gaels

Saturday 16th September at 3pm in Parke

Northern Gaels V Tuar Mhic Éadaigh

Saturday 16th September at 3pm in Swinford

Shrule/Glencorrib V Ballycastle

Sunday 17th September at 1pm in James Stephens Park Ballina

Lahardane V Swinford

Sunday 17th September at 3:30pm in Bangor

Ballycroy V Moygownagh

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Always remember Kevin McLoughlin saving the day for Mayo on more than one occasion, particularly one year when he kicked a point v Donegal in the National League to prevent Mayo being demoted to Division 2.

yea, that was also the day he took 15 sets before taking the shot. I also remember many they day where he missed frees from in front of the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Kevin McLoughlin was never a massive scoring threat but got and setup some crucial scores through the years. But that wasn't main his role either. Was a great servant and a player we were always better of having in the team. It also wasn't his fault he was the only left footer who would step up to take a free. But dont let that stop you kicking a man on his way out the door.

no your right, he was the best player ever. apologies to generations of his family for trying to bring context and reality into the forum. if his main role as forward wasn't a scoring role, nor was ita setting up scores, then what was his role? it would be great for the cause if you could go out and manage the dubline football team.! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

oh, you're going to be the thread troll for a while?

Should you not be checking out the MMA thread given what ye lads are at these days?

i presume the basis of this comment is because you think I'm from Galway? in which case your wrong. People are great at misremembering player performances, and this is case in point. Alan Freeman was another example. a poster on this forum very aptly put it that "the longer he doesn't play, the better he was" or similar.

Re Kevin, he was s very solid player, who, as other commentators have said, wasn't the best point scorer, and wasn't the best at setting up scores.

not the greatest play who ever donned the jersey as others would have you believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Where did you commentary that he wasn't the best at setting up scores.

• Advertisement

Kevin wasn't the best freetaker (he doesn't take them for knockmore) we've ever had but he stepped up when asked nonetheless. 9th on our all time scorers list isn't bad when you think about it either for a man not known as a scorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

McLoughlin was a really good footballer. He was not top drawer but he was close. He might not have got the scores but he played alot around the middle supporting defence and attack. If we had 15 Mcloughlins we would have won many all Irelands..... He was not the problem!!

CTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

How? He wouldn't have made any iteration of Dublin team since 2011 in his favoured wing forward, never mind in midfield, full back, or in goal

The poster above is trolling a bit id imagine but the overall point is sound, you can appreciate a good solid 7/10 player without anointing him as a great

Its a figure of speech to demonstrate the quality of McLoughlin, don't read it literally!!. He would be in lots of teams that won the All Ireland like Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal...Dublin were so strong all over the pitch that a player like him would easly fit in. He was a pretty consistent player for Mayo and I think most Mayo fans would recongnise this.

agreed, and even subconsciously you have lowered the tone to a more appropriate level. a pretty consistent player for mayo, he's no ryan o donoghue, or diarmuid o connor, but all around pretty consistent player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah in fairness now Ryan O'Donoghue has a fair bit to go yet to emulate a few of McLoughlin's clutch moments - I'm sure he will in time, but at the moment its all potential.

You seem to have read spomething that wasn't there Squat, nobody posted that McLoughlin was the best player we've ever had from what I can see - these are a summary of the comments initially posted that you seem to have an issue with:

Really enjoyed watching him

great points and goals all down the years, never let us down

so reliable

A great servant

A quality player

a great servant and a player we were always better of having in the team

Reading back over them now, there's not a single one I'd disagree with. Fairly bizarre that you feel the need to make a big deal of it but each to their own I guess.

Nice piece from Mcloughlin today and comes across really well. https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41224390.html

A good interview but not really great, certainly not top level

Solid win for Knockmore this evening, fairly dour first half, Darren McHale got a cracking goal at the start of the second half and Knockmore tacked on a couple of points and that was that. Tough draw for the other group winners with Castlebar there, hopefully Westport draw them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

The state of the last two pages of this thread . Christ

Kevin Mc was an absolutely vital cog in the best Mayo team of modern times. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knows that.

A player like a few more (Jason Doc , Aido, Cillian for example ) whose value will be appreciated more when they are no longer available.

Knockmore v Charlestown

Tubber v Castlebar

Ballina v Belmullet

Westport v Breaffy

fantastic to see that i was missed.

the So reliable, never let us down commentary. He was a good player on a great team - as audio has accidently eluded to - would not have made the dublin team (Dublin were so strong all over the pitch that a player like him would easly fit in. - I think that's the greatest insult in this thread), while many others on the mayo team would have. He often missed frees from dead in front of the posts, and was never comfortable taking frees. off the top of my head i would rate doherty, oshea, parsons, as more rounded influential players. - again they were not players that "never let us down" but top class players.

Yawn

Championship is a bit of a damp squib so far, no real jeopardy for anyone. There's one game this weekend that is in doubt, you'd expect easy enough wins for Ballina (1/5), Westport (1/8) and ourselves (1/10).

Should make for two good semi finals at least

Castlebar seem to have gone backwards since the league, two poor performances against Aghamore and Ballyhaunis. Tubber super confident. Wet day will probably suit tubber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

With the Ryder Cup on and Ballintubber Castlebar on a few hundred yards away, I think I'll just listen out for the occasional cheer / score.

I'm not confident in Europe but I still think they'll get more points than either of them.

The Castlebar v Ballintubber game is unlikely to be one for the purists but it'll be an interesting game all the same, could easily go to ET I'd say.

You'd expect the three favourites to win in the other games although if ROD/AOS/Towey have a stormer, one of them could be tight enough - ROD probably the most likely to put up a big score and maybe run Ballina close

Ballintubber 4 up with a few mins left, game sounded like it was over but Castlebar come back to level it with the last kick. ET now

Cillian gone on a straight red just before the last score

Breaffy putting up a good show against Westport, Aido playing v well according to the radio

• Advertisement
Advertisement