Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whatever about criticisms that can be levelled at the game, I get it about the menus etc but to say the game looks like sh1t is just not true or fair. General concensus is that the game looks great and from what the little bit I saw last night I was impressed visually with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Had a quick spin on this on Series X.

Had to switch from game mode to normal mode on my OLED TV as the 30 FPS was not nice. That helped a bit.

Feels a bit like open world Mass Effect to be honest. The detail in indoor locations is very good, but the landscapes are really bland outside.

Character creation is good, conversation are good, there is a ton of stuff to get lost in here ...

That's it, on the backlog, will get to it some other time. Have too many other games to finish and really I think I can only manage one huge open world game a year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just replied to your pm but essentially im using the custom presets on reddit," medium=optimized low" one which is actually medium ingame for most settings, 60% res scale and 70% fsr.

Heres a screenshot of my settings

link to custom presets.

The game is a dog to run,many games out there look a lot better and have double or triple the framerate on my setup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Todd's response to everyone complaining about the PC performance 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reminds me a lot of, "Do you guys not have smart phones?"

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm just saying that the map isn't good because it isn't. I simply never use it. Why design something that isn't useful? Just don't have a surface map at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thank you for the screenshot, I'm going to copy it and look at the DLSS mod too. Fingers crossed. My CPU is only an i5 too which is probably another bottleneck.

I've seen a couple of comments about fast travel so I'll just drop this here again. It really helped me when I shifted to this style of play.

Don't fast travel. At the start I was just teleporting everywhere and I felt the same way as you.

I play more methodically now. I get on my ship, get into the pilots chair, take off. Once in space I select my destination using the cockpit HUD (click the scanner button, LB on Xbox) and travel there by pressing X. Then once in orbit I select the destination and land. Because I'm traveling like this I am having all sorts of random encounters and it feels more immersive too.

If you use fast travel to teleport around the place you'll miss a lot of the games space encounters. Some of that content is brilliant.

It's a bit mad they have it running ok on a Series S ... and then telling people to upgrade their PCs.

Was playing Skyrim waiting for Starfield to download and it was buttery smooth and beautiful at 4K 60 FPS HDR (series X). Found 2 new locations too in that time and a really fun sidequest. Great game.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

30 fps on consoles, pretty easy to get 30 fps on my 5 year old PC the thing is we want more frames like we are used to :)

Personally i dont see 30fps on any system as running well in 2023.

But Howards comments are just lazy and pretty sure is the attitude in just throwing out an unoptimized mess.

• Advertisement

I think the DLSS mod is only for rtx cards so no use to my 1080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

As @SuperBowserWorld said, interior locations look great but the area of New Atlantis at the lodge with the trees looks dreadful

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Bethesda have been a bit lazy to be honest.

Game runs at 30fps on consoles, PC gamers with good hardware struggling to get good frame rates, it's clear there's been no real effort put in to optimisation.

Which is pretty unacceptable for a game where the graphics could at best be described as good but not great.

Post edited by awec on

I was actually shocked when I exited the lodge into some garden and beyond after rushing there on the main mission. It's like going from Series X to Nintendo 64.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unacceptable, but also very typical of the games industry since ... maybe the PS3 onwards really; consoles are seen as a more lucrative market, PC increasingly fobbed off as niche

Yeah it seems to constantly happen for games released on both platforms. The PC version is usually worse.

I bought my first and last gaming PC a number of years ago and I just found it too much hassle, having to constantly tweak settings and what not. I just want to press a button and play the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think two things can be true:

The game clearly has optimisation issues, especially on the CPU side of things, and modern hardware that should be running the game flawlessly is struggling to do so.

There will also be a point when hardware from a few generations ago will start struggling with new releases, even if the graphics aren't necessarily cutting-edge. I do not for a second buy into the 'you need to upgrade regularly!' mindset (a good GPU should ideally be robust enough to last at least a half decade), but 9 and 10 series cards, for example, will probably start struggling a bit to run a fair few modern games these days - especially at extra high frame rates - and older CPUs doubly so.

That said, it's clear PC gaming has been in a rough place, especially over the past year, and the cost of entry to newer gen hardware is absolutely ridiculous (looking at you, Nvidia). I'm very interested to see Alex Battalgia's breakdown of Starfield, but it doesn't seem as obviously broken as something like TLOU or Jedi Survivor. Just needs a few more optimisation passes to wring out higher performance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think in general, for AAA titles at least, if you're going to ship a game with low frame rates (particularly the 30fps console lock) then you need to make up for it with stunning visuals. Starfield doesn't do this.

What Starfield has done is give you performance-mode graphics quality (though not even that in some scenarios), at fidelity-mode frame rates. This is just bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Console is a slightly different beast than PC here. I'd also have much preferred a 60 FPS target here for console, but if the technology really struggled to achieve that a rock-solid 30 FPS is probably a necessary compromise. I disagree with that call, but I can see how they reach it.

That said, it's definitely more complex than stunning visuals vs performance. I've seen prettier games than this, absolutely. But there is a lot of ultra detailed assets in the game world which probably make this heavier performance-wise than usual. The game holds up to scrutiny when examining small objects in the game world, which wouldn't be the case in a lot of 'prettier' games.

Personally, I have zero interest in item 'persistence' in games - it makes for funny videos like the potato one but not much more - but features like that will also have a major impact on performance. Whether it was the right focus for Bethesda... I'd say probably not. But I've no doubt it makes the render budget a lot more complicated.

I think the game looks really pretty. But I've always seen art style as more important than graphical fidelity, so maybe I'm not looking for the same standards as others.

But the frame rate not working well on high end PCs isn't acceptable really. I'm content with 30 fps on console because I'm used to that anyway and it runs really well on Series X. But PC users have a right to be frustrated if it's really that bad.

• Advertisement

Ok, what is the purpose of allowing someone to move ever item from A to B in the game and then track and persist this.

Does it affect gameplay or is it so that someone can have 20,000 potatoes in their house ?

I know it adds to realism ...

Also, it has no effect on Skyrim performance... Which runs brilliantly on console and pc now.

So, what extra is Starfield doing that its performance is poor ?

They could have dropped some interplanetary realism and nobody would have noticed.

Skyrim runs brilliantly *now*. When it was released 12 years ago, not so much. I had it on PS3 and it struggled back then.

Same with Fallout 4. It runs at 60 FPS on Series X. Not on the previous generation of consoles.

I guess in the next generation Starfield will run at 60? 😂

I actually think fidelity wise the game is often impressive - the level of details on some objects is particularly excellent - but I find the art style pretty uninspiring!

The game runs fine for me on PC (mid-range but modern system) - at 1440p with DLSS 'fidelity' settings it dips into the 50-55 FPS mark in most demanding outdoor circumstances and up to the 100-120 mark in the least demanding indoor ones. Generally at 60-80. I'd say it's slightly less performative than I'd expect given the hardware, but not by a whole bunch - and it performs a whole lot better than, say, FF16 performance mode on PS5.

That said, if people on very capable hardware are having big issues then that's obviously unacceptable. And the nature of PC gaming is that there's likely to be some inconsistency across individual setups even with broadly similar hardware.

"but I find the art style pretty uninspiring!"

I dunno, I like it. It's a nice balance between grounded and futuristic. Like it feels like the future but also something I can understand, rather than space high fantasy. Which makes sense since it's set just a few hundred years in the future.

But art style is completely subjective, each to their own.

Absolutely, it's very much each to their own in that respect - I'm not a fan of their approach here, but can easily see others digging it. At least when it comes to performance we have raw, objective numbers to discuss and contrast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

PC optimization guide here, it might be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really? You only started Starfield yesterday and have you played Baldur's Gate 3 yet?

• Advertisement

I've always found the logic of "X has ruined Y for me" to be a bit odd.

I enjoy Bethesda games for their sandbox feel and how you can just do whatever you want and enjoy the whatever story you create for yourself. But that ingredient being missing in other games doesn't "ruin" them for me. 🤷‍♂️ I also enjoy more curated experiences where freedom is less of a thing.

I take each game for what it is. Each is it's own thing.

Advertisement