Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's been put forward by a tillage group this past year.

There was a researcher from galway University had a survey for tillage farmers to fill about taking slurry from dairy farmers.

It was anonymous so any blaggard could fill it out. I filled it out but tried to be as sarcastic as I could. Any enviro could fill it out too and claim to be in tillage.

The trouble is the nitrates from the slurry will leach more on the tillage ground than if applied on grassland. But the agronomists have the minister codded about ontakes and offtakes and that no leaching occurs with tillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Knowing that the changes in N concentration of slurry has halved lending it uneconomic to export, and TAMS not being available in anything, you can only say that this Minister is a lying phuq..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

As we approach this time of year you can figure out where things as regards production and costs.doing a few sums while I was milking this morning and I reckon at 32 cent is break even for us .there is a hefty repayment for land in that and land rent but very little wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If your not allowing at least 5 cent plus a litre for wages your only fooling yourself, between the father and relief Milker its roughly 4 cent a litre on the years supply and would be taking circa 3 cent a litre in "wages" myself to keep the house running

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’d have regular contact with some low-level Commission people at the off-farm job. They’re straight and I’d believe them every day of the week before the Govt here.

Farmers’ problems begin in Dublin and Brussels is used as an excuse. I remember one issue of the IFJ earlier this year had 3 different articles with Dept officials blaming Brussels for whatever was going wrong. Childish stuff.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

why would anyone consider building extra storage in current environment

we used to export dung for straw for years. Our farm stood still for that period and didn’t improve because lack of nutrients

It's the repayment and land rent that account for around 8 cent a litre.we are ahead of our payment schedule so we can skip it for a year or 2.costs have gone off the scale and the margin is crashing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

With 220 now confirmed and 170 very much in cards in next few years our lobby bodies really need some co joined thinking …..Dutch style action is now needed .we have a useless minister for ag and a govt cornered by the greens and an opposition just interested in getting our votes

since quotas have been abolished (correctly so )our advisory bodies have landed us here with one track one dimensional advice ….kiwi systems were sold as only show in town ……load on cows worry about slurrystorage etc in a few years was the mantra they admitted they forgot about the extra calves they should now grow a pair and admit they forgot about water quality and envirnoment until it was too late ….they have gotten away very very lightly on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

It's made more obvious when you see similar carry on in the UK. They can't blame the big bad EU anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Watch this space. IfA will huff and puff for a few days about nitrates and scheme payment dates.....then they'll meet the minister and 'negotiate' a commitment for the improvement in the payment dates on tams and biss, nothing will be done on nitrates. Farmers will just see the money and the whole thing will be sold as a win by each of the parties... as farmers continue to get f#%*ed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Yea. Like their recent token protests. Too little - too late. 220 was guaranteed 12 months ago according to teagasc.

There will be nothing done about the derogation cuts so why would they not just drop it again next year or the year after. This new farmers party if they can get it together is the only thing that might frighten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Surely now is as good a time as any for farmers to stop paying membership to the ifa, they’re an absolute farce.They’ve achieved SFA this year and it’s been blow by blow from government, processors, co ops and so on. To sit out meetings today with the minister not even to bother to meet him even though we all know it’s too late for anything to be rectified is a joke. They do not represent us one bit.

The ship isn't going to be turned re derogation it's a lost cause, a well funded reduction scheme that will take the financial sting of having to cut numbers is the last card the ifa have of securing for this years budget but its doubtful they'll even attempt this, they either make a meaningful last stand here our as a organisation their a spent force

Agree completely re the new 220 it will not be changed now and we can only hope that the people put in place to represent us may make some attempt to hold onto this new limit for the coming years as opposed to sitting idly by as they have been for several years now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The Ifa are probably incapable of this as the decisions makers in the ifa are also directly involved in co op boards ,they have already dismissed the dairy reduction scheme .I dont think ifa have any fire left in them ,a shambles of representation for dairy farmers

220 will only be for two year, reading the commissioners response to Charlie's zoom meeting the epa will decide with their water reports for 2025 which you know won't be favourable that its nailed on the report will still point to declining waterways and with it derogation will be gone countrywide

At this stage given where milk price is at, the price of rental land and the nailed on probability derogation will be scrapped for 2026, even if the co-ops have their ear, the game is up re milk volumes going forward and trying to get a compensation package in place is the only game in town now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone not now planning for 170kg N/ha in 2026 needs to get cracking. The derogation is due to expire then and there doesn't seem to be the will in Dublin or Brussels to allow Ireland keep a derogation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

I actually believe that the 220 will go just the same as the 250 did. I hate to admit it but I have began to put more work into developing my off farm career alongside streamlining the farm to make it less labour intensive. I ran the sums last night at 170kgs/N/Ha. On 54 Ha I can carry 80 cows, 15 bulling heifers, 15 heifer calves and 3 bulls. That leaves me at about 162kgs/N, so a little wiggle room in the system for keeping calves to 6 weeks etc if needed. That is definitely the road I am going down here and forgetting derogation, beef stock etc. Less fert, less slurry, less work and take on a small bit more off farm work.

I understand that option of off farm income is not available to all on here for various different reasons, but we all have to assess our own situation and do what suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Govt, are going along with the greens parts that they want.

Things would be exactly the same if it was just FF and FG.

It is them driving agriculture.

What do you plan to do in a non derogation scenario? From reading your posts you seem to be in a Similar scenario to ourselves at home. When In 2026 if derogation goes which looks likely we would be forced to cut to around 95 cows and look at contract rearing replacements operating off roughly 130 owned acres and without current rented land factored in because who knows what will happen that now.

We are milking up on 120 this year how many people here took over milking cows and straight away reduced the herd by 25% and to top it off not able to keep any dry stock of any kind. With all this uncertainty what is there to encourage a young person like myself to take 3 steps backwards and 1 step forward by going home full time in years to come?

Why would they compensate. With the s##tshow that's on its way with the economy it is going to be very difficult to push through compensation for "fat cat "dairy farmers for a derogation from the accepted rules

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

95 hectares here between rented and owned, all heifers contract reared. What can I milk at 220 or no derogation? Currently putting a ring on the slurry tower as it's the cheapest route for xtra storage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

all farmers should be aiming for the 170kg mark as derogation will go. so in your situation at 170kg,

you can milk 152 band 3, 175 band 2 and 191 band 1

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I’ll be gone as the prospect of getting ground locally is fairly scarce when it goes to 170.but then I guess the average lad milking 80 cows is only in the way.

kinda sad that it’s come to this that after 25 yrs of milking and trying to better the place and yourself you can be thrown to the wolves.a scary prospect of being mid 40’s and wondering what I’ll be at in a few yrs time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Reading through this thread is bewildering…it’s the politicians/IFA/EU fault. It’s your own fault, nobody else. (Well the politicians could be blamed also for spouting so much BS!)

Everyone was well warned years ago about messing up the water quality..but ye continued as before with impudence. Spreading urea in January and slurry on Stephens day etc etc.

Blaming the minister/IFA is ridiculous. It’s the Eu Commission that decide on this (fortunately), otherwise the waters would be pure poison.

Maybe man up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

If they saw the attitudes here they wouldn't be long bypassing 170N straight to 130N.

The real issue here, and it can't be stressed enough, is that derogation depends on water quality which is assessed by EPA - the same EPA who showed their true colours last month via twitter/X.

This bias could end up affecting thousands of lives if not addressed, our waters could be crystal clear but the EPA cannot be trusted to give an objective recommendation any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thoughts on this @Gawddawggonnit ?

Blind belief in tillage saving the world? Love of machinery and hate of ruminants on pasture driving this rise in pollution?

And in France. Where we should be looking to follow..

Advertisement